Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jain Zar revealed! [Psychic Awakening]

Psychic Awakening event

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,882 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Just read up on some lore, this character is a pretty big deal.

So is she now primarily Ynnari aligned? No longer a craft world unit?

-~Ishagu~-

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,111 posts

She's both. She supports the Ynnari but will still aid Craftworlds.

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,267 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

Wow, that is some truly spectacular hair. Maybe it's not Aeldari souls that Slaanesh steals, it's their hairspray.

Anyway, she looks quite magnificent, and if this paves the way for more Phoenix Lord updates, yay!

• Skidman likes this

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Hathor42

Hathor42

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 409 posts
I dont see the death worshippers as very popular. Blew up one craftword to create their greater demon. Led two more craftworlds almost to destruction.

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 590 posts

Just read up on some lore, this character is a pretty big deal.
So is she now primarily Ynnari aligned? No longer a craft world unit?

Well I guess we will find out where she belongs. But at present she is in the craftworld eldar codex.

Shadowseer

Shadowseer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 92 posts
  • Faction: Eldar

I dont see the death worshippers as very popular. Blew up one craftword to create their greater demon. Led two more craftworlds almost to destruction.

Hey, that's 40k and not My Little Pony :D

Of course their careful planning resulted in a bloody mess

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,499 posts

Biel-Tan was beyond screwed at that point, the Masque already corrupted the Infinity Circuit, so it was either blowing it up by using the souls to wake up a fragment of their god, or let Slaanesh eat every soul in the Infinity Circuit.

The Ynnari seem pretty divisive, but they're got multiple Phoenix Lords backing them up, Eldrad, Lelith, even though she's got her own motives, as well as the support of Craftworld Iyanden, even though Yriel is suspicious of them, so I'd say they're pretty popular.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,699 posts
  • Faction: Orks!
Kind of mixed on this one. It’s not bad, per se, but it feels like it’s trying a little hard, which is...distinctly un-Eldar. Definitely agree with BCK on the middling pose. Wish she’d kept some of the creepier detailing/atmosphere of the original model, too.

Still, it’s got a lot of potential for someone with a bit of ambition and some hobby skills. Looking forward to some of the conversions and more daring paint schemes we’ll see eventually.

Edited by Lexington, 24 September 2019 - 12:07 AM.

• Legionnaire of the VIIth likes this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

Medjugorje

Medjugorje

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,840 posts

do yout think there will be new rules or just the new model.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,357 posts

in honour of all this jain zar talk, here's my favourite scene that i wrote with her.

https://youtu.be/APsjN6_67WE?t=52

(this was pre-gathering storm)

• Triszin and Son of Carnelian like this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,401 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

The article already mentions some rules changes for her, although we don't know how extensive they are yet.

bRxSYDV.png

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 752 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Eldar, Admech

The article already mentions some rules changes for her, although we don't know how extensive they are yet.

She needs it.  All the Phoenix Lords other than Irrilith and Asurmen are a bit lacking currently.  The lack of an invul save particularly makes them super vulnerable and really just... not that good at much of what they should be.

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,253 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
You all think her new ability is better than her old one?
I want to say no. I mean,how many models will normally be within 2" of her anyway?

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,882 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

I want to say no. I mean,how many models will normally be within 2" of her anyway?

You can fit quite a few, smaller base models.
But again we have not seen the rest of her abilities or stats so it's too early to come to any conclusions.

-~Ishagu~-

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 647 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
She'll have at least 5 attacks. The sweep might help her blend Ork Boyz or gaunts, but I don't see it helping much against MEQ.

But her disarming strike ability was great for taking on characters. Tor Garadon isn't so scary when he's only got his little fist.
I suspect dropping this defence means she"LL gain an Invul.
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,571 posts

But again we have not seen the rest of her abilities or stats so it's too early to come to any conclusions.

You could fit quite a few, smaller base models. But who would? The movement and spacing of those models is mostly controlled by the opponent you're going to charge. 

Unless she has something that allows one to gather units into her range, I think 2'' feels on its face to be a bit too short. 

We shall see - in any case, this particular ability does not appear to be as strong as the ability it is replacing. 

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,111 posts

Her ability to hit everything within 2" would be really good if she had another ability to move over enemy models when charging or piling in, so she could squeeze herself into positions where she can maximise the number of models in range.

• Son of Carnelian likes this

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,640 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Sacred Rose

I really like it! As usual I'd like to see her beside some normal Banshees for size comparison. The only issue I can see at present is I've utterly forgotten my paint recipe for my Banshees at this point ermm.gif

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

You could fit quite a few, smaller base models. But who would? The movement and spacing of those models is mostly controlled by the opponent you're going to charge. 

Unless she has something that allows one to gather units into her range, I think 2'' feels on its face to be a bit too short. 

We shall see - in any case, this particular ability does not appear to be as strong as the ability it is replacing. 

Especially when the opponent can just put only like 2-3 models within 1" of her and keep a whole bunch of models 1" away from those models which should be more than 2" away from her but still close enough to be allowed to attack as well since they are the second row. ^^

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Chaplain Lucifer

Chaplain Lucifer

++ RHETOR ORIENS ASTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,226 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Redemption
I see this model as a definite improvement over the last one but it still won't make me collect Eldar. The "ugly" mask and the exaggerated hair are definitely a min point in my book. Still a good effort scuplt wise.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,698 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I see this model as a definite improvement over the last one but it still won't make me collect Eldar. The "ugly" mask and the exaggerated hair are definitely a min point in my book. Still a good effort scuplt wise.

Collect what you want but its a 'howling banshee' not a lipstick model. This makes about as much sense as disliking the Interrogator Chaplain model for not having a friendly enough skull mask.

I'm not saying your points are bad reasons to dislike a model or that you have bad taste or anything like that, simply that they would have to completely change the concept of the character for you to like it.

Personally I wish they'd kept the over-sized nose, it fit the carnival stock character concept of the Aspect Warriors. Tengu are supposed to be badass ascetic martial artists and they're represented most commonly by masks with stupid noses. Keeping the exaggerated ears but shrinking the nose makes no sense to me.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 24 September 2019 - 11:05 AM.

• Sandlemad, Lexington, Gederas and 2 others like this

Hellios

Hellios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,166 posts

I wish that they had pushed the armor a bit more, made it clear that the Phoenix Lords were more like the armor that the Visarch bears (although not merging all three factions into one armor) - more ancient forms of armor than even the current Craftword Exarchs. It has a touch of that, but I feel like they could have gone a little further with it, and then the Exarchs could have had a touch of it to show their suits are older.

Overall though a super-solid model to me, bears all the hallmarks of being Jain Zar, but in a slightly better stance/pose than the old one. Also very cool that her base appears to be a destroyed Avatar of Khaine head (or at least the crest portion).

The Phoenix Lords are off different ages so it's possible that some of them might have older looking armour although I think Jain Zar is one of the older ones. With Asurmen being the oldest.

Her ability to hit everything within 2" would be really good if she had another ability to move over enemy models when charging or piling in, so she could squeeze herself into positions where she can maximise the number of models in range.

Maybe an ability like Acrobat/Acrobatic that allows the controlling player to place her anywhere in contact with the unit she is charging, possibly even creating space for her.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,640 posts
All down to personal taste but I like seeing her painted in "proper" Banshee shrine colours. I always found the old black colour scheme looked odd.
  • andes and Arkaniss like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,111 posts

Maybe an ability like Acrobat/Acrobatic that allows the controlling player to place her anywhere in contact with the unit she is charging, possibly even creating space for her.

Banshee Exarchs have had versions of Acrobatic in the past that let them be placed in melee, definitely during 3rd ed, maybe also 4th. Currently though, Acrobatic is the rule that allows Banshees to charge with +3" after advancing, so it'd need a different name. But yeah, something like that would really help The Storm of Silence rule see regular use.

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,743 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé

just give her something like the old swooping hawks exarch power (3rd ed), where they could move after each attack.... 

Dyspraxic & Dyslexic  - So I might not write/explain what I think I have as clearly as intended to.... 

I'm confussed... what side of the fence am I on???

happy.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Psychic Awakening event

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users