Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= KURGAN THE LURKER RETIREMENT =][=

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,752 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

POPULAR

Many of you may have noticed that our esteemed Administrator, Kurgan the Lurker, has not been around much for many many moons. Those of you that have been around the Bolter & Chainsword a long time will recognize that Kurgan the Lurker has been here from the beginning, one of the first few members of the site when it was born back during 3rd edition on ezBoard. Kurgan the Lurker soon became the #2 Admin and has led the site through thick and thin.

Kurgan the Lurker's presence here at the B&C and within the hobby has been felt by many. His earlier forays included the Liber Astartes website, which was a catalog of all the various Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes (and we co-opted that name for our forum dedicated to homegrown Chapters), as well as Duck Blind Miniatures, his old site for presenting his painted miniatures to the internet. He has been a strong leadership presence here for the last 20+ years, his guidance and work having a significant impact on the culture of our site as well as upon countless hobbyists, myself included. He has been integral to the growth and continued success of the B&C, honchoing numerous efforts here that benefited everyone, including custom dice, t-shirts, miniature bags, model painting contests, etc. He was a founding member of the Cult of Orange. His name was uttered in hushed tones by those that feared his mighty power mackerel, but his presence here has always been for the benefit of the site and the hobby. Many of us, myself included, consider him to be a good friend. Without his steady leadership, the B&C would be a very different place.

Unfortunately, real life has kicked in hard, significantly impacting his time to participate at the site and in the hobby. Kurgan the Lurker has made the difficult decision to retire from active Administrator duties. His other real life priorities have precluded his ability to post this announcement himself, but we will, hopefully see him around more when he has time.

Please join me and the rest of the staff in thanking Kurgan for everything that he's done for us as individuals, for the site, and for the hobby.

There's an old saying in the Warhammer 40,000 setting:

The universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed

Kurgan will be missed.

• Ranulf, Redrandy93, Kolgrim DeathHowl and 79 others like this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,912 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Happy trails, Kurgan! You will be missed

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Aarik

Aarik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 158 posts

Thanks for all your hard work!

Ioldanach

Ioldanach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 556 posts

I was never on the receiving end of the power mackerel (I have some vague recollections of a graphic about that) or the melta, which I suppose is a good thing. I have the greatest respect for Kurgan, though. Best wishes in all of your future endeavors, Kurgan, and I hope to see you around.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Anhrathe (Eldar Corsairs): KT faction rules
Ynnari: KT faction rules

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,698 posts
  • Faction: The Thousand Ideas

The name of Kurgan will always be uttered in hushed tones in these halls, but with the awed hush of respect rather than fear.

Be well, brother. We'll miss you and look forward to the day you come back to have a poke around the forum. happy.png

• Interrogator Stobz and Son of Carnelian like this

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,143 posts
  • Faction: Hexfleet Virules

Thank you Kurgan!

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,388 posts

There's an old saying in the Warhammer 40,000 setting:

The universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed

Kurgan will be missed.

Chills, well said Brother.

• Lexington, Mazer Rackham, Interrogator Stobz and 1 other like this

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,523 posts
  • Faction: VII-284BTN

It's a somber day, indeed. Kurgan's going to be missed, greatly and deeply -- although Tyler made that point already, I think it bears repeating. I don't know the full extent of what he's going through, but I know enough to say that my thoughts are with him and his family. He has my earnest thanks for everything he's done for this community. Thank you, brother.

• Son of Carnelian likes this

gallery_78067_11287_41024.pnggallery_78067_11287_2164.pnggallery_78067_11287_16564.png

For the light of Sol, and the earth of Terra, we stand. For the oaths we made, we stand. For the blood in our veins, we stand.
For the stones laid by our ancestors, we stand. For the days that have passed and the days that shall come, we stand.
For the living and the honour of the dead, we stand.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,754 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

I'm grateful for everything Kurgan has contributed to this forum. Wish him the best in all aspects of life.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Drudge Dreadnought

Drudge Dreadnought

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,807 posts
  • Faction: Chaos, Dark Eldar

I thank Kurgan for his many years of benevolent moderation. The B&C is still a bastion of sanity compared to many other places, and a lot of the credit for that goes to the Admins and the culture they have fostered here.

• QuarterPounder likes this

Ranulf

Ranulf

++ EQUESTER CANEO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,060 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka, House Orlock

So this is what losing your legion Primarch feels like. sad.png

When I first joined the board Kurgan was one of those figures that loomed large, and in many ways exemplified how a member of these forums should conduct themselves. He, alongside a number of Moderati and Frater formed, from what I saw at least, the very heart and soul of the Bolter and Chainsword in so many ways for so many years. Wielding his fearsome Banhammer™ and accompanied by the ever watchful Inquisitor Impetro Respondi, he may have been a feared foe to some, but he was considered a friend and leader to a great many of us.

May the Emperor look to you and yours in future crusades brother.

You'll be missed mate. 

-Ran

• Soldier of Dorn likes this

ZIbfbQY.jpg L_T_4_2019_Medal.gif

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,219 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

I am not the most active member here, nor to I post much. But I know the admins and the mod team do hard work and it shows, this site is the best forum I have been on and its due to people like Kurgan. So thank you Kurgan, as Brother Tyler said: You will be missed.

gallery_62975_7515_158944.gif

• Interrogator Stobz and Jolemai like this

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

Sons of Horus 38th Company

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

Lanparth

Lanparth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 630 posts

Respect for anyone whose been around since 3rd edition. I hope real life improves for him. Hoping for the best outcomes for him.

ALIENAGENUS_Iron Father Bahadur_FALSUS

ALIENAGENUS_Iron Father Bahadur_FALSUS
  • ALENAGENUS

I remember Kurgan from waaaaay back on B&C. I was moderating one of the early nurgle forums when Chaos first popped up here.. god, over 15 years ago?

He was always a cool guy. Truth be told I didn't realize he was still around, fitting the name, but wish him all the best. Amazing how much he worked to keep things going for this forum, total respect. Thanks for keeping it all going.

Edited by Iron Father Bahadur, 23 October 2019 - 09:10 PM.

Kolgrim DeathHowl

Kolgrim DeathHowl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,398 posts

Ya I remember Kurgan from the early 2000's when I first joined, he actually helped me sort out getting my account back so I didn't have to make a new one. :) 

Good luck, take care!

gallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.png

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,677 posts

A sad day indeed.

Take care, Kurgs.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

gallery_45765_15430_13020.pnggallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_34763.pnggallery_45765_15430_18580.pnggallery_45765_15430_18989.png

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,128 posts
Thanks for all you’ve done Kurgan, hope that things get better for you brother

Edited by Cyrox, 23 October 2019 - 09:21 PM.

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

Karack Blackstone

Karack Blackstone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,247 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

Kurgan.

Thank you.

Few have been as vital as you have to the functioning of this site.

Brothers Tyler and Argos are the only two that come to mind, most of the time; I'm sure you know more than most when the ball was in your hands and when he needed to not be disturbed by needless tasks you could take care of. Few, including me, will know of these times. Cherish them, for these are the times that their faith and trust in you...

Is most rewarded.

Again, thank you.

mactire

mactire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,316 posts
  • Faction: vlka fenryka
Thanks Kurgan for all you've done to make the B&C what it is today. You will be missed but hopefully not for too long. Hope everything goes well for you and you can get back to Lurking.

I recognise my failing and will be sure to correct it
gallery_24878_5332_50483.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013B.gifgallery_29004_6198_8099.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_29004_10383_1937.pnggallery_29004_10383_927.pnggallery_29004_10383_4142.pngsml_gallery_69091_12729_9262.pnggallery_17224_3229_261.gifgallery_17224_3068_410.gifgallery_17224_3068_874.pnggallery_17224_3068_108.gifgallery_24878_5332_150.gif

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,499 posts

Thank you kindly for everything you've done for this community, Kurgan. May the wind be always at your back.

Smirnov

Smirnov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 648 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

o7

Pain is an Illusion of Senses. Despair is an Illusion of the Mind.

gallery_42382_15810_13377.jpggallery_42382_15810_40009.jpg

Shadow Captain Vyper

Shadow Captain Vyper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,356 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

End of an era.

You will be missed, brother.

"A Mind Without Purpose Will Wander in Dark Places..."

gallery_16835_13820_5804.jpggallery_6494_6331_8260.png

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,657 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Love you Kurgan! Really going to miss you good buddy.

Who remembers when members posted that Kurgan was gonna melta you ? :D

Edited by Black Blow Fly, 23 October 2019 - 10:32 PM.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 6,679 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

You will be missed, thank you for your service.

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends - The corruption of cell #379
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum
+++ DIU AD BELLI - Legion War! +++ (2017 ETL replacement)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,937 posts
  • Faction: Conclave of Shadows
Kurgs, I wish you the very best. You deserve all that’s good in life. You were my first introduction to how well this board was managed. I remember after seeing some of your actions..”damn this board does not mess around!!!!” And I’ve been here since(2004).

Thank you for all the time and things shared in this board, and in the hobby.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users