Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

So didn't see me revow officially.

Next stage is to do a Supreme Command Detachment. I'm also going to try and get in a game before the end of feburary.

I started on the Stormsurge, but found out I was missing more then the head. I'm missing a few back pieces. I'll just paint them once I find them, their nothing major to the model.

Scheme is based on Buster Gundam from Gundam Seed. At least to keep in the mecha anime genre theme.

Other parts of the detachment will be the EXGear fireblades, the Bork'an commander and the 'boomerang' shield drones.

Okay, so I hope this is allowed, but I won't be able to make an entirely NEW detachment (don't have the money right now to spend on a lot of Chaos Marines), but I can expand my Patrol into a Battalion if that's allowed?

Okay, so I hope this is allowed, but I won't be able to make an entirely NEW detachment (don't have the money right now to spend on a lot of Chaos Marines), but I can expand my Patrol into a Battalion if that's allowed?

I think that's explicitly in the rules, you can expand your base detachment into a larger one - Spearhead for me, by the way.

I think that's explicitly in the rules, you can expand your base detachment into a larger one - Spearhead for me, by the way.

That is how the rules worked last year, but in review I thought this ended up to complicated as participants did not really take to this system last year. As such this year you cannot expand to a larger detachment, you can only vow new detachments.

However this does include the Auxiliary Support Detachment so you can vow for one of these and do just one unit. Repeat as needed I guess.

If the idea of expanding completed detachments into larger detachments is something that participants want then I’ll work it in again next time. This is only the second event I have run and I am still learning.

That is how the rules worked last year, but in review I thought this ended up to complicated as participants did not really take to this system last year. As such this year you cannot expand to a larger detachment, you can only vow new detachments.

However this does include the Auxiliary Support Detachment so you can vow for one of these and do just one unit. Repeat as needed I guess.

If the idea of expanding completed detachments into larger detachments is something that participants want then I’ll work it in again next time. This is only the second event I have run and I am still learning.

Ah. Crap :laugh.:

Because I have Seven (soon to be Eight) Chaos Marines to expand the two 6-man squads into two 10-strong, and I'll be getting another box of CSM to make a third 10-man.

Well, unless I just vow another patrol (with technically an illegal loadout on one of the squads, because the 8 CSM I have are rocking two Chaincannons.... :laugh.:) or I find an HQ and a third Havoc Squad to make 3 Havocs for the Heavy Support detachment....

Edited by Gederas

Kind of a questionable decision.

I'd like to mention my army's been growing organically and it's been worked on kind of all at once, as stated. I'm up to a Spearhead and a Supreme Command being played and half-painted as of right now.

Well Lesson Learned I guess. Last year I just run the event on gut feelings as to what would work, this year I tried to simplify what I felt to be a bit overly complex and thereby improve the experience and appear to have ended up shooting myself in the metaphorical foot instead. Here I go making a mess of things.

While I don’t think it would be fair on the other participants to change the rules partway through (unless everybody else was happy for this to be the case). I do think we can take a bit of a more flexible approach as the overarching idea is to start and learn a new army and that is still going on. So I guess both of you carry on as and where the hobby takes you and I will just have to read into your posts a plethora of invisible Auxiliary Detachments. :wink:

I am glad to hear that both your armies have been growing so successfully and would not want to artificially hamper that by restricting what you can do in the event, but there does need to be some sort of structure. You can of course always complete stuff outside of this event for your armies. A few of us had models already underway before starting or did some models for other events alongside or at the same time.

Zephaniah Adriyen, I know you always had the supreme command planed for a subsequent vow, but do I take it that your patrol is finished/morphed into the spearhead?

Gederas, in regards to adding more members to existing units, just go ahead and do so. 

I guess this might be a good point to cheek that I know where everybody is at. Below is the list of participants and their vows (and completions) that I am aware of as of today. If I have missed a completion and/or vow (subsequent or first) please let me know.

01RTB01: Dark Eldar - Vow - Patrol
Azaiel: Orks - Vow - Patrol
Blackheart1223: Space Marine (Astral Claws) - Vow -Patrol
Custom Hero: Space Marine (Knights of Lydda (Custom)) - Vow - Patrol
Dreagher: Genestealer Cult - Vow - Patrol
FlackMonkey - Adepta Sororitas - Vow – Patrol
Focslain: Tau - Vow - Outrider: Completed - Vow 2 - Supreme Command Detachment
Gederas: Night Lords - Vow - Patrol: Completed
Heckus: Genestealer Cult - Vow - Outrider
Hymnblade: Black Templars - Vow - Patrol: Completed
Larkyn: Space Wolves - Vow - Patrol
Nusphigor: Chaos Space Marine (Night Lords)- Vow - Patrol
point_Zer0: Adeptus Titanicus - Vow - Super Heavy Auxiliary
Slave to Darkness: Imperial Guard - Vow - Vanguard
TrawlingCleaner: Death Guard - Vow - Patrol
Trokair: Adepta Sororitas - Vow - Patrol
Vosyvo - Adepta Sororitas -Vow - Patrol
Zephaniah Adriyen: Raven Guard - Vow - Patrol

Zephaniah Adriyen, I know you always had the supreme command planed for a subsequent vow, but do I take it that your patrol is finished/morphed into the spearhead?

Second one, I dug up some Hellblasters from my previous Space Marine army and added them to the pile, along with 10 Intercessors.

So after thinking for a bit, my second vow will be another patrol-detachment this time with a iconwanrd, two 5 man squads of acolytes, a ridgerunner and a goliath rockgrinder. That will bring me up to a nice 500 points list to get some games with.

sml_gallery_94103_13818_126413.jpg

Edit: Just noticed that with the CA2019 points changes I could change the iconward for a jackal alphus, which would synergies nicely with the ridgerunner.

sml_gallery_94103_13818_898985.jpg

The updated list would then be:

Jackal Alphus

Ridgerunner

2x5 Acolytes

Goliath Rockgrinder

Edited by Dreagher

Okay. I'll be expanding my vow into a Battalion, as well as possibly a Spearhead?[ the Heavy Support one].

Thanks Trokair, that helps a lot! :thumbsup:

Can confirm Spearhead is the Heavy Support detachment, that's what I'm rocking now.

Thanks! I ALWAYS get the special detachments screwed up (I keep referring to the Outrider detachment as Vanguard detachment for example, and can never remember Spearhead's name unless I look in the Rules :lol:)

Okay. I'll be expanding my vow into a Battalion, as well as possibly a Spearhead?[ the Heavy Support one].

Thanks Trokair, that helps a lot! :thumbsup:

Can confirm Spearhead is the Heavy Support detachment, that's what I'm rocking now.

Thanks! I ALWAYS get the special detachments screwed up (I keep referring to the Outrider detachment as Vanguard detachment for example, and can never remember Spearhead's name unless I look in the Rules :laugh.:)

No problem.

Did some work on the steel today, all the Infiltrators are done with this step. I'm gonna try and get a bunch of the steel done today. Also had to clip off the larger of the two power pack antennae on the Infiltrators for fragility reasons.

So finally did some work on the fireblades. After a few trial and fails to make a small jet back for a firewarrior I opted for a minor shaved down stealth suit. Mostly since everything in the army is supposed to be air-dropped. Yes even the stormsurge.

Firebladewip2

I'm going to add some wings to his pack, just have to double check on what parts to use.

Speaking of stormsurges, I've been taking this slowly, I think I got the basics of the colour pattern down and thankfully I found the missing pieces.

Still have to figure out the colour of the burst cannons.

Stormsurgewip2

I've been spending the last few months painting for The Other System but with the new year I'm returning to the 40k fold :smile.: Hope it's OK to join in halfway!

I, Arkhanist Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Death Guard by 29 February 2020 by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will paint an Ultramarine character to the best of my ability for a penance.

I fancy doing something new, and pledging myself to Mortarion and papa Nurgle should be fun - never done a chaos army. Contrast seems perfect for Death Guard, and plenty of opportunity to crack out the corrosion and dirt weathering so I can hopefully scratch three hobby itches at once.

Between Dark Imperium and Conquest I've picked up quite a few Death Guard in the last couple of years by accident (I was mainly after the marines for my Blood Angels) but they're still all boxed up on sprues apart from a couple of minis for a failed test scheme which will take a bath in the stripper. Not even entirely sure what I've got in there!

As to why that penance, I'm still salty about Guilliman swooping in after the war was all but won on Baal with the Great Devourer and taking the credit for 'saving' the Blood Angels and their successors. Then left behind a bunch of barely trained Primaris recruits that don't even know how to use a chainsword and basically said 'welp, this half of the galaxy is your problem now'. And he then sped back to handily defeat Mortarion, of course. So the best motivation I could come up for myself would be to have to paint an Ultramarine nicely!

I'll start digging out boxes from my plastic shame mountain and see what I can convert up for my first squad of rotting tentacled marines. Combat effectiveness is not a primary consideration (good thing, with what I've heard about their early edition codex). Just the fun of something very different from my usual, will see what happens!

Edited by Arkhanist

Deathguard are fun. Sold mine before 8th dropped. Wish I never, still if I start again I do get to use the new kits instead of converting the old CSM kit.

But I do wanna start chaos knights, and expand my guard. Too many armies, not enough cash.

Deathguard are fun. Sold mine before 8th dropped. Wish I never, still if I start again I do get to use the new kits instead of converting the old CSM kit.

But I do wanna start chaos knights, and expand my guard. Too many armies, not enough cash.

Just do all of them as one army using the Forge World R&H rules for the guard and DarkMech if you do it (or counts-as Marines like I'm gonna do - Skitarii as Cultists, Dominus as a Hellwright, Onager as a Defiler, Skitarii attendants in the same scheme riding on/walking with my vehicles to give the air of a unified army), grab a Chaos Knight or two and build Death Guard for the elite core of your army.

Also, don't disparage the old Death Guard kits, they're great - even the resin ones are okay sculpts.

Did up a non-Primaris Chaplain for my Raven Guard today, using a "Deathwatch" Chaplain I had lying around, a 'Zerker arm with plasma pistol, a servo-skull off of a Magos Dominus, a Tactical Marine's pauldron, a little greenstuff and a plastic Jump Pack. A neat trick I did, which works for all the old models which have 28mm scenic bases but are packed with 32mm smooth bases (like the Aspiring Champion or this Chaplain model here), is I took the 28mm base off of the sprue and cut off the base rim. Then I sanded it down so it was just the scenery piece and glued it to the 32mm. Boom, scenic 32mm. If you don't get the scenery piece flat, that's fine, just take a little greenstuff and fix the edge so it blends into the base properly.

chappy_1.png?width=473&height=602

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Still plugging along at the stormsurge, it's looking better (picts later). Might even finish it over the weekend.

I'm not happy with the fireblade, I really want something smaller, basically a fire warrior with a winged jetpack, just can't find the right parts for the jets.

I'm going to get working on the commander, going coldstar but replacing the HOBC with the relic plasma. I was thinking a of an enforcer or standard commander and replace a MP with a drone controller, but all the drones in the SCD are shield so the controller is useless. This will change the color scheme, going for something close to the YF-29 since it was massively maneuverable and it's main weapon packed a punch.

Yf29

Will also get to work on the Riptide too. Turning the burst cannon into a rifle is going to be a challenge, but worth it if I get it right. I am wavering on if I should go Macross or Gundam for the scheme. If I see a gunpla that has the same-ish weapon systems as the riptide that I like the look of I'll go for it. Otherwise the default is doing the grey and red of the OWL armour.

To add to the list of projects for this army I was debating on doing five XV9s to have the full Delta squadron represented. I'm already planning to use the paint schemes for three of the members (Hayate in blue, Mirage in purple and Chuck in yellow) with the other two to follow if I go full in.

The models will be a mix of the commander and basic suit since I have a lot of coldstar chest pieces left over from the drone project. Plus the larger engine for the basic commander config.

On the gaming front I did get a game in with my 500pts Outrider. Was against freeboota orks. The game ended in a draw, was Annihilation from Open War. Wasn't doing too well on shooting and his mek with shokk gun one shoted my commander turn two, but managed to survive long enough to kill enough PL for the draw. Considering my suit squad was worth as much as his whole force it was a bit tricky. Especially since he managed to tag it with a buffed unit of 20 shoota boyz.

Ok let’s see what has happened these last few days, been rather busy of late.

Dreagher, second vow noted and list updated. Good luck with the vehicles and bike, they are nice kits.

Focslain, nice work on the Fireblade, good luck in finding the right wings. I know it is not particularly Tau but the Reiver kit comes with the weird Primaris stabilizer wing things. They might work.

Alternatively, if you are prepared to spend the money, the resin Shadowsun would probably suit for what you are trying to do, just swap the arms and head (or use the helmet the kit comes with).

Zephaniah Adriyen, he is certainly looks ready to lead the young bloods into battle.