Word Bearers: The Grand Host of the Order of the Apocalypse

Lord_Starscream

He looks great - like he's on the verge of becoming a daemon prince.

Depending on the colour of the armour, black may be a bit too dark or monotone - maybe dark grey for the wings, or with some white or light grey edge highlighting on the feathers.  Whatever you end up doing them, I would do the "fur cape" on his left shoulder to match.

As well, instead of grey skin, have you considered doing something even more unnatural, like dark purple?

Additionally, what are the wings from?  I was thinking of converting a Master of Possession model into a hammer lord with wings, using old gargoyle wings, but going your route would look even better.

Oh definitely grey skin, it's gonna match what I'm going to do with my Daemon Engines. I'm gonna paint his eyes bright red, with black surrounding them too. The fur over his shoulder I'll... see... Depends lol. I wanna make sure I can still apply my Word Bearers decal :P

2nd squad is nearly done, all I have left to do is paint their bolters.

I've started work on The Master of Executions, his basecoat is now done.

Next up? Assembly of the Dark Apostle.

Also, working on a revamp of my Beastmen for Warhammer Fantasy's latest announcement. Just getting them backup to speed, thankfully most of my Gors, Ungors, and Bestigors were unpainted, lol. The Minotaur models are fugly, however, so I'm not tempted to replace the ones I painted. :|

I really like that Chaos lord with thunder hammer conversion, there's a lot of malice in that stride.

I'd like to start my word bearers force at some point soon (probably the new year) and really like that red. What steps do you use?

Lord Apollek, Herald of the Apocalypse, bearer of Malice, brother of the Chosen, and bringer of the Word, has a great deal of malice to give everyone he comes into contact with, whose not receptive to the teachings of Lorgar. And probably a great deal of contempt for those who follow it as well :P

For the red, I use Vallejo air paints. It's three coats. Scarlet Red, Gore red, and then another light coat of Scarlet red.

Yet another step, on the 8 pointed path:

6F6A5an.jpg?1

The arm is recut and repositioned. I didn't want the hammer hanging out next to his shin, as that seems to be a really unnatural stance. I also took off the power cord because it's a daemon weapon, not a power weapon. The hammer is going to be drilled into on both sides, as well as the hand. I'm gonna try to do that tonight. Very nerve racking though, definitely don't want to screw that one up, especially when cutting it.

After that, he'll be ready to get painted, once I figure out what colours I want to paint the hammer itself.

He looks.... absolutely fantastic.

So much so that I might even use the conversion myself!

What bits did you use if you don’t mind my asking? Primarily the head and wings.

Following your thread, great work’

Head: Warhammer Fantasy Chaos Lord, carefully cut down as to not slash his chin, then greenstuffed a bulb at the bottom to fit into Space Marine chest's.

Wings: Scourges. Greenstuffed onto a backpack. More greenstuff being added soon to just add a bit of weight. I'm also going to see if there are some bits I have to bulk up the armour near the connection point between the top plates and the backpack.

Weapon: Varangard from the Everchosen set.

I curved the way the hammer was facing in order to make it appear more natural, like he's walking and just pulled the hammer in front of him, rather than having it hang near his shin, as who would carry a hammer like that? I think the hammer might have looked a bit better if I just had it repositioned, but hanging down, but honestly that wouldn't make sense with the rest of the motion of the model.

DbJ5tWI.jpg?1

The First Disciple:

It is you, who are the aspirant. I can see it plainly in your eyes, Zurvan. I can see the Gods in your eyes. You, you will replace Kohn as the Champion of the Blessed Sight.

Those words continued to resonate within him even now. The writhing body of the centre of his world squirmed as the nails were run through his flesh and bones. With each striking of the hammer, metal met metal as the spikes were driven further in. His screams of agony and wrath fell on deafened ears however. The Apostle had been shown to be the false prophet he was the moment the Chosen One had been struck down by his own brother. The moment Ixion proved himself to be the true follower of the Dark Gods vision, was the moment which Zurvan knew that he had been betrayed. It was fitting that here, in the Temple aboard the Sacred Lie, in the dark halls of this sacred place, they were sacrificing this man to their Gods.

The Dark Apostle Varun Aghash had been the centre of everything for him since the time of heresy. He had been there as they watched Calth burn. He had followed his divine visions and teachings, every day pledging himself further to his service. It was Zurvan, who had spoken of a Chosen One, a messiah, to arrive and spread forth the Word of Lorgar beyond anything anyone could imagine. A creature born of uncorrupted flesh, but with twinned souls within it. That was to be their true leader, their future. He spoke of a time of illumination, where even if they would never see it, they had created the herald to a new era.

All Zurvan found, was the herald to its own glory. For the first time since the era of Heresy, perhaps, he had thought for himself, unclouded by the words of the one they had all called master, by one name or another. When he turned his eyes towards Ixion Apollek, their brother who had finally opened their eyes to the lies they had been infested with, his vision, one of organic sight, and one of mechanical origin, assessed him once more. As Apollek stared on, having ordered the sacrifice as a means of justice for all that they had suffered, as a means of asking for redemption, he could see the eyes of the man he knew would be their new leader. Whether he bore the title of Apostle yet or not, it did not matter. The dark haired Astartes had the hatred which Zurvan knew they all needed, hidden behind his eyes.

Perhaps, ironically, in that moment Zurvan could see in Ixion, what the man now screaming as the final nails entered his arms, had seen in him, all those years ago.

With one last swing, it was Zurvan who finished pinning the former Dark Apostle to the eight-pointed star. He had claimed to walk down its path, now he would meet his end upon it.

“Fools! Traitors!” Aghash shrieked. “You defy the will of the Gods! Their vengeance is already at hand!”

The empty threat was almost enough for Zurvan to strike the former Word Bearer dead. He ceased, knowing full well that striking now, and striking with ferocity, might kill him, and he had a place here… to be sacrificed, alive. Several brothers began to quietly begin hymns, venerating the Gods as sacred symbols were painted in the blood of slaves, surrounding the marking of the Gods.

Striding forward with purpose, holding his hammer in hand, the new symbol of his authority, the usurper stopped in front of him, keeping his keen eyes on him. A judgement had been made regarding their sacrifice.

“Zurvan,” Ixion said, his tone cold, yet not rejecting in its nature. It was remarkable to him how Ixion could speak in such a forward way, but have command over them as he did. Even those loyal to Aghash, who had not been slain in the bloodletting, now stood at the side of their new lord. “You will be the one to offer him to the Gods. You will be the one to open him, and take out his organs while he still lives, and offer them to the Gods.”

A blade was foisted upon him before he could respond, his Lord handing it to him. Unthinking, he took the hilt of the sacrificial dagger, staring at it briefly before looking back towards his comrade. It was an honour, to be certain, but it was more than simply that. In that moment, he had become more than just a warrior, more than a disciple to the Dark Gods.

When he turned towards Aghash, preparing to make his first cut into the astates flesh that lay below him, he knew the truth.

He had started his path towards the truth he now heard whispering in his bones.

This was but the first step, on his road towards being an Executioner…

ckxTCag.jpg?1

P7JcRUH.jpg?1

tgCUvqy.jpg?1

tO6QZJT.jpg?1

jWMgFiJ.jpg?1

What colour are you doing his tubes? Because I'd want a contrast with that too... The other thing you need to think about is the colour of the fur....

Tubes are being done the same colour as his skin, which is that dark-grey with lighter grey highlights.

For the fur and cape, I gotta figure out a colour.

I also have to figure out what colours I'm gonna paint the feathers for his wings. :|

I hate that, lol

I love that Chaos Lord, great conversion! It is so effective! If I ever decide to do a conversion based on the Exalted from the Night Lords books, I will borrow this idea (although now I am not sure if he used to wear Termie armor...), maybe by sticking those horns in the Greater Possessed head! Oh, and that hammer is brutiful :D.

I am not that much into WB, but you make them look very appealing! Congrats!

Bone cloak, lined in blue or green could work?

When you do the fur you could try something like the dark flesh tones gw produce with a coloured wash over them - for example I use bloodreaver flesh highlighted with knight-questor flesh and then washed with drucii purple which I've used with both red and bone coloured cloaks.