Awakening

Aothaine

**Work in Progress**

**NOTICE** This story is a little dark. If you find yourself disgusted with it please stop reading. I do not want to upset anyone. But this is something I imagine Chaos would be about and do. It is not fun and games, but dark and insidiously evil. 

She woke up panting for air, sweat drenched, and cold. Every night had been like this since the ship had shifted into the Empyrean. She had begun to hear rumors among the crew that the light was fading. That maybe the Emperor's Light was diminished. They had been executed swiftly. Travel was dangerous enough without thoughts of heresy causing problems. Last week she and her squad had to hunt down three of the hounds of chaos that had breached the void shielding. Several hours and hundreds of dead guardsmen later they caught up with the beasts, cornered them and sent them back to the hells from where they came.

She had been proud that day. The hunts met with long waiting periods. Periods where she spent most of her time either training or praying to her god emperor. But it wasn't the same. The hunt was real, filled with dangers, and heightened her senses. She enjoyed the feeling, craved it, needed it.

She look around the dorm and saw that Sister Ophelia was still up reading one of her books. Of all the sisters in her detachment she was curious about Ophelia the most. There was rarely a time that she was seen not reading. She was one to keep an eye on. Reading was dangerous and lead to thoughts of heresy. She had seen it before. 

Deciding it would be best to get a head start on the day she stretched, collected her daily attire and headed for the showers. They were mostly empty. A few sisters scattered about the shower heads were silent in contemplation so she did the same. Snapping on the shower head lead to hot water cascading down her sore body. She was still recovering from being slammed against the wall by one of the foul beasts she had helped hunt last week. Pain was good. It reminded her that she was still alive. Still under the protection of the Emperor. Still caressed by his light. She finished her shower quickly as usual and headed to the armory.

The halls were empty. The soft slaps of her footsteps echoed in every direction as her thoughts began to recited a prayer to the Emperor out of habit. 

"H'seth.." spoke a voice in a serpent like voice.

She jumped quickly, her back to the wall, and looked down the corridor in both directions. She knew not to answer the voice. She was trained to ignore the voice. Her indoctrination hit her, calming her body and pushing her from the wall courageously. She began to walk again, stilling her mind and focusing entirely on the sounds around her. Perhaps it was just a valve release. Sweat began to bead on her flesh again. She hated this feeling. The feeling of helplessness. She knew the emperor protected her and so to feel this way was failing him.

"H'seth sa rynth." the voice spoke again in a hushed whisper that pierced her ears.

Her eyes saw something this time. A glimmer, no, a ghost-like form. Of what though. She approached the form, all sense of her surroundings having left her and as she approached the form started to sharpen. When the form finally showed itself it was a snake made of mist. It looked at her carefully with it's head raised into the air and a fan of skin unfurled around it's head. It moved in a hypnotic way that drew her to it. Suddenly striking her on the face. 

Waking up with a scream and covered in sweat she looked around frantically. Her dorm looked darker than normal, the candles dimmed and discolored, the tapestries in ruins, her sisters laying upon their beds. It took her mind a moment to see it the abominations disguised as beds. Twisted forms of flesh and steel with pipes leading into the bodies of the sisters around her. She tried to sit up but quickly found she was restrained. She fought against the resistance until weakness hit her. Drugs. She knew immediately. The device that was connected to her had injected some sort of drugs to weaken her. She raged at the monster holding her down. Tore at it with every ounce of her being.

Nothing seemed to work. Panic started to flare in her mind. Was the Emperor real? Did he protect me? 

A voice responded in her head, "Yes. I am here." loud and echoing. Blasting the nerves through her entire body. "Push." it said to her. 

She was confused. What did he mean? She screamed in frustration. 

"Push." it said again.

Suddenly she felt it. She pushed. Pain erupted throughout her body causing every muscle to lock in spasms.

"Push!" the voice roared at her.

Her ears began to bleed, the sounds around her dulled into nothingness and her eyes rolled into her head. The device she was in had taken control. Pushing and pulling, stretching and squishing. Pain. Release. Pain. The cycle continued for what seemed an eternity until suddenly it stopped. Her body lay limp on the device as a sinister giant walked into her vision. 

The giant smiled a face full of sharks teeth and focused on something by her feet. "Good girl." he said "Good girl. You can rest now." He turned to his side saying "This one will do. Send him to the vats for implantation."

Absolute horror hit her as she realized what just happened. Where she was. What she had just done. The realization that the Emperor did not protect her.

He did not care for her.

She was lost.

Her mind shattered.

I liked it, fits 40k. It's grim dark in the right areas in my opinion. Keep going with this style. 

Thank you Shinros! :biggrin.: Decided to start practicing early so I could submit an entry for Black Library next year. Would be awesome to become a writer for Black Library. Though I still have a long ways to go. :biggrin.:

Edited by Aothaine

I liked it, fits 40k. It's grim dark in the right areas in my opinion. Keep going with this style. 

Thank you Shinros! :biggrin.: Decided to start practicing early so I could submit an entry for Black Library next year. Would be awesome to become a writer for Black Library. Though I still have a long ways to go. :biggrin.:

Every wordsmith does, brother.

I hope it comes together for you!

MR.

Every wordsmith does, brother.

I hope it comes together for you!

MR.

Yup yup! I write because I have a very active imagination and love writing it out so I can keep them and recall the fantastic things I've made up in my mind. If I do end up doing that for a living though? I would be SO HAPPY! Getting to share these stories I've made up with others that might one day enjoy them and share them with their friends and children. It is a powerful feeling in my chest just to have you folks reading my short stories even if they are in the sorry state they are submitted in right now. Lol!

Thank you so much for the comment!