Undivided Renegade Knight - Petey returns to Chaos

PeteySödes

It's been a longtime coming but I need change of scenery from the wolves so its time to flex a bit!

The Cerastes Knight Castigator was always my favorite pattern since I saw it. It just has that weapon combo that I find so evocative, gatling cannons for maximum BRRRRT and a sword to end any foolish enough to think that living was an option. After reading Master of Mankind i was all in on the story of Jaya D'Arcus, I won't spoil anything here but it really captured my imagination. I had been flip flopping between a home brew thing and making a version of her in a scrap knight but ultimately decided that would be too restrictive and likely kinda boring visually if i don't do it right.

This lead me back to chaos...

More accurately though separatist I think. I'd really like to try to make something that looks dark, beautiful, and ultimately evil while avoiding as many of the usual chaos tropes as I can. I like the Abby situation where the intention is to not fall into the thrall of the powers but being unwitting until the trap closes etc. Visually if i can make it look subtly chaos but still be recognizable that would be a win to me.

Im also going to be hooking this beast up for sound and have created some audio tracks to really evoke a feel for it. I'll be hiding the bits within the base as I still plan to do the full cockpit and the Cerastes don't have much room in there. Please feast your ears on the smooth stylings of Baroness Regia Sabanth the Curse of Decceon:

Again trying to evoke a ghostly beauty thats also pretty terrifying. The audio is still super WiP so is pretty rough still. But I think I'm on the right path.
I've started on the base already and it's going to be a project within the project of course. This has none of the sublety I was talking about earlier though, as it will be an overgrown monument to the Emperor as the The Baroness' bootrest...
gallery_2327_16015_95702.jpg
It's going to be a long road but ideally i'd love to have her done by the time the snow melts. As I make the base Im developing the fluff too so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for looking!
Edited by PeteySödes

Noooo! You shame the Allfather, you shame yourself!

:unsure.:

Yea but i'll return with new techniques and skills that totally won't corrupt my Great Company I swear...

Jeez you make half a knight base and...

gallery_2327_16015_36135.jpg

Edited by PeteySödes

Well using the XPS is pretty slow going because of the glue but im making progress. This whole thing feels like sketching since i have an idea where i want it to go but am very much still playing in the space as i go.

gallery_2327_16015_564905.jpg

Progress since last:

I sort of sank the structure to one side to really push the ruined look.

Built the frame to accommodate the speakers and provide structure for the brickwork.

Started the base of jungle tree that will grow out/over the statue. Going for a strangler fig looking deal.

Laid out some brickwork on the ground around the main statue. Didn't glue it in yet so i can get some roots coming up from underneath first.

Up next:

Root systems on the ground parts.

Figure out steps on the lefthand side that I cut away. Likely some bare earth, scattered stone and brush.

Complete the monument brickwork to make way for the tree.

Cutout out the base bottom for audio access.

I just tossed out some stones on the thing to see what it looked like as well:

gallery_2327_16015_235832.jpg

Stones on top don't look too bad as is i don't think. I'll have to pulverize them a bit obviously but it's a start. I think i'd like to have some skulls spilling out, a monument to the faithful type of deal. I'll just have to make sure its not to khorney.

For the statue itself, I'm thinking of bending down the top of the throne over the head for the knights foot to be smashing the Emperor down. I feel like if i sculpt his signature eagle pauldrons and faces on the knees it will still be readable.

My other thought was to leave the head visible but make it defaced in some way. The 3rd more intense version is to make his actual likeness but i feel like it'd be diminishing returns to do it. Any thoughts?

More progress! I think im pretty set up to crush a bunch of this during the holiday!

gallery_2327_16015_1887034.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_283212.jpg

Progress since last:

Filled in some ruins on the left side.

Placed one fo the (titanic) feet.

One "fill in" pass on the tree

Ground filler

Completed the audio access solution

Up next:

More tree filling/smoothing and adding roots.

Top of the ruin

Big E statue so i can place the bent throne top and then foot #2

So far so good though, its a lot of weird stuff I've never done before so its challenging and interesting! My god does it feel good to not have a looming deadline too :D

Looking great so far!!

Thanks Brother!

Waiting for the sculptamold to dry on the second pass on the tree. Added a few more roots and smoothed it out but its....not exciting lol. But since i had to wait I started fabricating (ahem, forging) the warblade!

gallery_2327_16015_1211652.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_1328587.jpg

Created a template and put it on some plasticard and started the "stock removal". Its gonna be fun, its bigger than the regular warblade but tastefully so I think. More to come!

Wait, are you making a 40K Soul Calibur? You have to tell me if you are.

Haha I see it now! I hadn’t intended to do so though, was just going for a design that would read chaosy but in a non specific way. Looking back on the SC series I feel like any of those weapons would have done nicely!

What is that pink stuff and how did you make the stones out of it?

This project is very awesome.

Thanks!

The bricks are made from XPS (insulation), it’s either pink or blue depending on where you go. I cut it up with a hot wire as uniformly as possible then toss it all in a coffee can with some small rock I use as table scatter. Shake it up a bunch depending on how old you want it too look since it’ll knock the edges off and give them some distress and you’re set!

Glued in with gorilla glue since super glue will eat it up. If you use the stuff make sure you seal it with watered down white glue and a drop of dish soap too since it doesn’t play nice with aerosol primer either. Other than that it’s really versatile and inexpensive stuff!

Didn't get nearly what i thought done over the holiday but thats how it goes i guess.

I did make progress though after all the family left so thats good. First up got the blade a bit more in shape and made the frame for its basket hilt sort of deal im going for. A lot more to do here but i like the look and size so far.

gallery_2327_16015_424487.jpg

Started on big papa as well. This was a weird one. I chose to bend the throne to show the weight bearing down but in doing so the Emperor didn't have enough room. Rather than warp it i chose to dig it out and he'll be literally getting pounded into the dirt. I still need to mound the brickwork a bit to sell it but he's not glued in or anything, just checking the proof of concept. I also think i'll be adding a bunch of vines that are pulled to stress to show the movement and i'll stave in the back of his head a bit since that would be the fulcrum point.

He himself still needs a ton of details but he already looks less rowbooty...

gallery_2327_16015_103735.jpg

gallery_2327_16015_274245.jpg

Knees are glued, the hips are dry pinned, and feet are unattached but i was able to see the position too! Armor pieces are not attached since those are going to get a pretty robust makeover too but it's need to see it come together.

gallery_2327_16015_920979.jpg

Still need that last smoothing pass on the tree as well as the filler on the top part of the ruin. Lots of irons in the fire for this one though! Thanks for taking a peek, C&C is always welcome!

Is he bending the sword using it? Man. Dude is big

The sword is being bent because the bulk of the statuary is being crushed forwards! I'll have to play with the groundwork and other things to ensure that comes across ok. He does look like he's simply getting up atm but hopefully the paint and detail work will make it clearer!