The Great Devourer approaches!

The Pounder

Hello all.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and wanted to start a new project to get my teeth into.

My son has recently expressed an interest in 40K.

He's decided to do Ultramarines so I wanted to collect an army to go against them.

I reckon there's no bigger enemy of the Ultramarines than Tyranids.

With that in mind I've bought a box of Hormagaunts to get things kicked off.

Here's the test model for the Tyranids:

49238533872_69ba532f22_c.jpgTyranid Hormagaunt

49238534237_7586884b9a_c.jpgTyranid Hormagaunt

Any comments would be welcome.

Also what should I get next? I'm thinking maybe some Warriors or the Start Collecting box?

Thanks very much lads!

I’ll probably get the Start Collecting box, I find if I buy too much at once I won’t paint them all!!

I tried out adding some red markings to them but I thought it detracted from the natural scheme I was trying to achieve.

Thanks again, I’ll post pics once I finish the brood.

Edited by Jud Cottrell

• 2 weeks later...
Finished the first Brood of Hormagaunts!
Nothing ground breaking but I'm pleased with them. Simple but easy to replicate.
Obviously I'll need lots more but this is the start!
I'm currently building to 1k lists for each.
Thanks for looking!

I wanted to ask this along with my Genestealers questions but didn’t want to derail that thread!

I have 12 Hormagaunts, I absolutely love the little critters!

I want to take as many as possible.

I’ll probably run 2 broods so how many? Also is it a wise idea? Or will 1 large brood be enough?

Great work on the painting, I wish I had the patience and the skill level you have.

I normally run a single brood of 30 hormagaunts in my Kraken battalion, the other troops are made up from genestealers. The hormagaunts are here as a large screen for more important units (old one eye), movement blocking, deep strike denial, grabbing objectives, tie things up in combat. They’re already very fast, but since they’re so cheap and abundant, they’re a good candidate for metabolic over drive.

They have a lot to offer. What they don’t do so well, is kill stuff. Being only T3 they struggle to deal damage, even with the 60 attacks (assuming 30 gaunts) that said, I can see them doing some work against GEC’s,

1-2 units is where you want to be, I’d avoid taking small units and keep them above 20. Gives them the re roll 1 buff to wound (it helps) and anything under 20 gaunts is going to be to easy to kill.

Today's update is the Broodlord. I think my colour scheme scales up rather well.

This was such a beautiful model to work on, tempted to buy another Start Collecting box just to get another one! 

Though I'll have to build my 1000pt list first.

I think I'll hit the Genestealers next.

Cheers Dosjekta!

No problem.

For the dark areas I start with Skavenblight dinge, then I wash it with Nuln Oil, then touch it up with Skavenblight Dinge, followed by 2 line highlights, first with Stormvermin Fur then finished with Dawnstone.

The second tone on the flesh is Rakarth Flesh, washed with Agrax Earthshade, then Rakarth Flesh again, highlights with Pallid Wych Flesh.

For the green chitin I start with Vallejo German Field grey then add increasing amounts of Nurgling green.

And that’s about it! Any more questions, just ask.

Got through the first 8 Genestealers! Only need another 32!!

For sculpts as old as these (they've been about for donkey's years) I thought there were quite good levels of detail. 

I've decided to use the ones with Feeder Tendrils as Acid Maws. As advised I've given them all Scything Talons (it's a free upgrade and looks cool!)

Next up, something a LOT larger.....

I've had a very productive weekend.

I felt that it was high time I added a Monstrous Creature to my force.

Spent about 12 hours on this one.

For the first time I painted it in sub assemblies, so the head and Scything Talons were all painted separately.

I think I'll take this approach moving forward. It made the job a lot more manageable and holding the model easier.

Here's the pics:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Hive Tyrant coming.

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Swarmlord. From what I can glean from the Codex he looks like an auto include.

I’ll be running a Kraken Battalion with Genestealers and Hormagaunts so the “slingshot” would work well.

On the other hand, I could go with a winged Tyrant, the mobility and deep strike would give me some tactical flexibility.

What are your experience with the Swarmlord and Flyrant?

I don’t want to magnetise so what are the pros and cons?

• 2 weeks later...
The Swarm of Hive Fleet Ariagnee continues to grow and evolve!
I've finished my second HQ so my army is now playable, although I only have 750pts!
I chose the Swarmlord as he looks cool (my kids think that wings were cooler than swords but I overruled them!)
A lovely model to work on and build. Next Tyrant will have wings.
Here's the Swarmlord:

Thanks for looking! Not sure what's next will see what takes my fancy.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I've finished my first minimum sized brood of Warriors!
Really happy with the bugs so far. 

Next up, something a lot larger!!!

Ah!! a hidden gem of a thread in the Xeno's forums... Well done Jud evrytime you do an army it comes out beautiful :wub:

it looks like your bugs ate a few too many DKoK  :wink:  and the colours seem to have bled into their DNA...

I know the army looks great as is but if you ever wanted to make em...different.... orange would be the spot colour to make em really alien... but as i said perfect already :sweat:

thanks for posting them!, fun to look at!

Cheers, Mithril