Happy Holidays! I am the founder and author of a new site, Overwhelming Odds. The goal of this site is to bring military methodology, doctrines, principles, and military perspectives to Warhammer 40K. This is where you will find strategic insights and original content, found nowhere else. I promise that each and every day, you will find something thought provoking and of real value.
Here is a quick snapshot of my qualifications, expertise, and background, which I hope to share with you a little each day. I served 16 years in the United States Air Force, comprised of an exceptional career in the Intelligence career field serving in the highest echelons of command. For example, I spent four years working at the headquarters of one of the major combatant commands. I have tremendous experience in mission planning, battlefield analysis, and information dominance.
What you can expect
I have a talent for deconstructing information and scenarios to their basic components, then analyzing and exploiting all aspects. I want to demonstrate and bring awareness to military concepts and processes to dramatically improve your game-play and enjoyment of Warhammer 40K. That is the core purpose of this site. Topics will cover everything from list-building to post-game analysis and everything in-between. I can guarantee you will always learn something. I promise to deliver you quality content that will enhance game-play and your overall experience. You will command not just your army, but the battle itself. That is the goal and mission of Overwhelming Odds.
What is available now?
The moment the site went live, I had already completed a 10-part primer that gives an overview of the material you can expect to see. Link is below for part one of that series:
Starting today, and everyday afterwards, new content will be available daily for every type of 40K enthusiast. One such content is a weekly caption/meme contest. Additionally, my photo gallery has over 60 images of recent games, and is growing rapidly. Lastly, there is an opportunity to have anything you ever wanted depicted visually in regards to an aspect of 40K, completed for free, This is open to the first 30 people who leave a comment/request on the relevant article, found here --> https://overwhelming...-warhammer-40k/ Check out the article for some ideas!
What is on the horizon?
There is a lot coming very soon, as I plan to bring you an insane amount of content:
- In depth military theories with real application, in game, including videos and photos
- Strategic insights and the thought processes behind them
- Simple checklists for creating a military mindset when approaching all aspects of 40K
- Resources like PowerPoint files for practicing terrain setup, objective placement, deployment, reserve strategies, and much more
- Giveaways, competitions, polls, and more
- Something for everyone. There is no bias here. The information will help everyone and every army.
Here is a list of future topics you can expect to see:
- Synergistic effects
- Art of anticipation
- Using leverage
- Timing and synchronizing
- Operational reach
- Forces and function
- Creating balance
- Lines of operations - sever or maintain
- Arranging operations
- Centers of gravity
- Decisive points
- Decisive places
- Concentration and mass
- Flexibility and versatility
- Initiative and momentum
- Seize vs. retain
- Economy of force
- Maneuver and mobility
- Offense/offensive positions/going on the offensive
- Defense/defensive positions/holding a position
- Focus and perspective
- Destroying the enemy's ability to fight
- Decisive victories
- Exploiting opportunities/weaknesses
- High ground
- Every part of your force must have purpose
- Reducing vulnerabilities
- Knowledge of your enemy
- Secure before you push
- Target priority
- Avenues of approach
- Psychological operations/misdirection/false Info/game state/pregame stratagems
- Situational Awareness
- Information superiority
- Decision superiority
- Sacrificial units
- Expanding or reducing the area of operations
- Information known and information gaps
- Controlling engagements
- Walking around the battlefield/you are the UAV/recon/opponent’s view
- Forcing bad decisions
- Rules of engagement/knowing the rules
- Initial engagement/most desirable
- Deployment vs. counter deployment
- Joint operations/sometimes other assets do it better – Mixing armies
- Dual roles
- Unit size matters
- Matrix/checklists/rating your army
- Commander’s intent
- Essential units and operations
- Distribution of weapons and abilities
- Sowing chaos/exaggerated threat priority
- Long game vs. tit-for-tat play style
- Patience and discipline
- Movement concepts - Pincer, spearhead, flank
How can I help?
I greatly appreciate any and all feedback. You can help me shape and mold this site into something you want to see and read. Don’t pull punches, be blunt, and dark humor/sarcasm is always a plus! I have thick skin and love praise, so all comments, constructive or otherwise provide valuable insight into my readership.
Where can I find Overwhelming Odds?
Currently, you can find Overwhelming Odds on the following platforms:
Youtube: Coming soon!
Pinterest: Coming soon!
A serious thank you!
Thank you for giving me your incredibly valuable time and reading all this. I know there are millions of things competing for your time and I promise to never waste yours.
Edited by Overwhelming Odds, 20 December 2019 - 09:41 PM.