Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

+++ To the Bitter End - The Badab War +++

Astral Claws Badab War Truescale Futility Extinction Elegy

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts
I never understood why people wanted Primaris boarding squads until now.
  • Noctus Cornix likes this

sml_gallery_48988_15094_5489.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_6481.pnggallery_48988_15094_792.pnggallery_48988_15094_7590.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,725 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers, Adeptus Custodes

SwVkTqj.jpg

Another storm of bolt shells clattered against boarding shield, the adamantine pavise weathering against the rupture of detonations along its slab frame. 

"Push!" roared the Strike Leader as the shield wall pressed forward, boots sinking deep into the mire of mud and ruin as they moved in terrible unison. They moved down the highway, their cold wall of adamantine corralling the Auxilia forces forward into the enemy's gunfire. For the mortal chaff, there was but two fates that they were given; throw themselves into the enemy with the barest glimmer of a non-existent hope for survival, or turn and face the certain death of their savage masters. 

Muranu snarled, a savage and guttural sound as he breathed through clenched teeth, smelling the recycled scent of his own genetic-rich blood as it filtered through his oxygen supply. With the Strike Leader's command, he pushed with the bulk of his pavise, forcing the terrified mortals forward to face the Star Phantom bombardment point. Up ahead, head could make out the ghost-white silhouettes of Whirlwind siege engines cresting the avenue, releasing their deadly payload towards the Palace walls. Just below that, two tactical squads and an accompaniment of tarantula turrets defended the siege position, releasing their payloads into the street and scything down Auxilia and Armsman alike. 

His chainsword dripped with blood, the teeth clogging with the sticky cling of gore that caked at the chains. There was far more human blood than Astartes on his blade today. There always was. He'd been fighting without pause for days, fighting and leading these worthless vermin into the maw of battle, knowing their deaths were spent just to buy a little more time. It was all spent to stall the inevitable. 

They were all going to die here...

Behind the Retaliators, the Hyaenidae moved in close, taking snap shots between the shield wall and following up the rear guard. They followed in the wake of their Lion masters as loyal hounds, sanguine with the doom they now faced and willing to die alongside their masters. What else could they do? When faced with annihilation and no other alternative, once might as well continue moving forward. 

The eye-aching flash of a plasma gun's discharge temporarily blurred the filters of his helm, the heat of a star cast out towards the retaliator line. Muranu intercepted it, bracing his weight in the mud as he lowered his shield and shoved the end straight into the knees of the nearest Auxilia. The woman fell, screaming in her respirator as her legs her shattered before she was lifted up onto the angled pavise and brought directly in line with the inferno ball of blue-white plasma. It slammed into Muranu, his entire bulk pushed back a few inches as it impacted with the Pavise. The Auxilia took the worst of the volley, her shoddily-fashioned flak-plate and malnourished flesh took the brunt of the impact and dissolved in absolute agony. She had paid the Tyrant's Due, her life spent as currency in Lord Huron's hand as what remained of the charred corpse was cast to the mud and trampled beneath ceramite boots. Then the testudo reformed, and the Retaliators advanced once more. 

"Push!"

Retaliator Muranu Vee'tar of the Astral Claws Chapter

Legionary Retaliator Squad Graham, XIII Legion

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, exterior defense grid LJ5-GB 22

Subject announced K.I.A. from cranial trauma, head caved in by a Crozius Arcanum

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

His shield broke before his body. His blade snapped after his mind

8PZNpDq.jpg

Y4VU5xY.jpg

Ukpk1oa.jpg

cPDU4Om.jpg

nJxqfMN.jpg

• space wolf, Doghouse, Lysimachus and 13 others like this

"Dawn Cometh!"

Dawn Cometh – A Word Bearers Log | Noctus Cornix – My Instagram

To the Bitter End – The Badab War | NCornix – My Twitter               

NomadPainting

NomadPainting

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,899 posts
  • Faction: Marines Malevolent
Beautiful Claws!

I'll admit the Astral Claws came down to a knife edge in drawing me away from the Marines Malevolent.

That Muranu is a bit of a beast!
++ Vis Sanctimonia ++

Xin Ceithan

Xin Ceithan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,845 posts
  • Faction: The Obsidian Coil, XXth Legio
Putting the Gore into Gorgeous! Excellent!
Call_of_Chaos_7_Banner_01c.jpgCall_of_Chaos_9_Banner_01b.jpg

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,499 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Another really enjoyable piece of writing and a great hobby piece to match it! I love the smeared, dirty faded glory of Murano's plate thumbsup.gif

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"  ||   Other things&projects
gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_105306_14812_3271.pnggallery_105306_14812_1034.pnggallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_2682.gifsml_gallery_48988_11572_5890.pngsml_gallery_48988_16024_10350.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_4327.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_5489.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,725 posts

Beautiful Claws!

I'll admit the Astral Claws came down to a knife edge in drawing me away from the Marines Malevolent.

That Muranu is a bit of a beast!

Much appreciated, friend! Astral Claws are, by far, one of my top favorite organizations in the 40k lore. They're only just barely topped by Word Bearers and old school Black Templars (4th edition lore). 

Marines Malevolent are great. I sorely considered at one time going back to them, but decided to better focus my attention on existing projects.

Putting the Gore into Gorgeous! Excellent!

Glad you like it! I'm honestly so incredibly happy with how the gore came out. I'm super thrilled.

Another really enjoyable piece of writing and a great hobby piece to match it! I love the smeared, dirty faded glory of Murano's plate thumbsup.gif

Thanks, mate. Underneath all that mud and gore, there's still a Lion's fierce pride... cool.png

• Xin Ceithan likes this

"Dawn Cometh!"

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 897 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Excellent painting and writing. I always enjoy your posts. 

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png  

My Works in Progress

Credit to Julie Hang for the profile picture. @juliehangart on Instagram.

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,295 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands Legion

Man that gore looks great, really sticky! You've nailed the glass viewing port too, especially the cracks.

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,725 posts

Excellent painting and writing. I always enjoy your posts. 

And I always appreciate your continued support. Thank you, Badgers. :)

Man that gore looks great, really sticky! You've nailed the glass viewing port too, especially the cracks.

Thanks! I've been super happy with this new method of applying blood that I recently developed. It's been such a treat to utilize, now that I've got a hang of it!

Should have something more soon, lads! Looking forwards to sharing more!

• BadgersinHills likes this

"Dawn Cometh!"

Slyen

Slyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 355 posts

Ok I really like what you've done with the shield.  It has me eyeballing it as an alternative to my plan for using Bullgryn shields in a similar manner.

NomadPainting

NomadPainting

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,899 posts
@NC what shield is that on the Retaliator? For the life of me I can't find them.
++ Vis Sanctimonia ++

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 897 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

@NC what shield is that on the Retaliator? For the life of me I can't find them.

From the Palanite Subjugator Patrols I believe. 

• NomadPainting likes this

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png  

My Works in Progress

Credit to Julie Hang for the profile picture. @juliehangart on Instagram.

NomadPainting

NomadPainting

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,899 posts
@BadgersinHills

Yaaaas thank you! I haven't dived back into the necromunda revival so they slipped totally under my radar but are perfect for an idea I have.
++ Vis Sanctimonia ++

The WarpGhost

The WarpGhost

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,720 posts
  • Faction: 13th Company
I'll be sad when GW ditch the firstborn marines for a bunch of reasons, but rich and evocative projects like this are one of the biggest. Superb work!
Posted Image

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,215 posts

That is really nicely done. I especially like the grim and gore, it's not over the top and looks credible giving a really nice feel to the over all paint job.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astral Claws, Badab War, Truescale, Futility, Extinction, Elegy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users