Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Angel of Death

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,248 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
Honestly. Nothing really quite lives up to the astartes series. Gw should pool everyone together for that project solely.

No offence to the other creators, but they simply don't compare well to it.
  • Apothecary Vaddon and Aarik like this

Old-Four-Arms

Old-Four-Arms

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 157 posts

What struck me as odd when they first talked about Angel of Death was the Jes Goodwin concept sketch for Livia Sorken :

https://1.bp.blogspo...-sketch3fes.jpg

Since we have seen some book > mini crossovers (Valerian & Aleya, Severina Raine), here's hoping that they do the same for this project...

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,334 posts

Honestly. Nothing really quite lives up to the astartes series. Gw should pool everyone together for that project solely.

No offence to the other creators, but they simply don't compare well to it.

Dont agree with this. Astartes is phenomenal and yes it even looks better than this trailer but I love that they have people working on various projects. 

There is gonna be more Astartes, and more from that creator on other projects, but for instance this Angels of Death series, the Black Templar one, the Codex one, the Exodite one, they are all already looking very good and I would love to see individual series.

As long as we get a new Astartes series of course :)

• Black Blow Fly, Carach, Shinespider and 3 others like this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,617 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
From everything I’ve seen including Helsreach this will blow the doors off Astarte... better animation deeper more complex storyline actual characters etc. I know some people think Astarte was the best thing ever and while it is quite good nothing is ever the very best for all time.
  • Shinespider, Maschinenpriester and Medjugorje like this
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,206 posts

I have mixed feelings on this one. Nothing wrong with different styles and interpretations because that is pretty much what we all do with our models anyway.

Some look good but will wait and see on this one before passing judgement, not sure it'll be my cup of tea but more options is always good.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 858 posts
Well I haven't seen all the different creator's works yet that got pulled in by GW, but I will say I'm impressed and surprised GW hired them. I would have originally guessed GW give them a cease-and-desist, so I'm glad GW went the high road and just hired them. I'm usually a GW complainer, but I'll admit this was a pretty good move on their behalf, PR wise and just for more media in the 40k universe in general for us fans.
  • Taliesin likes this

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

animation in angels of death doesn't really look to be on the same level as astartes, texture/modeling work same bucket mostly. but thats the tradeoff with a longer form series.

gaurdian31

gaurdian31

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 682 posts

I feel like people should stop comparing this to Astartes. These are different shows from different studios/groups, the animation is going to be different. That is the point of the different projects. Let each project live on its own merits. For all we know when Astartes starts back up it will look pretty and have a boring story and this will not look as good but have an amazing story. They will each have their own merits. 

• Vesalius and Sarvis like this
sml_gallery_39629_12080_1553.gifgallery_48988_16308_20607.pngsml_gallery_48988_16024_820.png

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 311 posts

I feel like people should stop comparing this to Astartes. These are different shows from different studios/groups, the animation is going to be different. That is the point of the different projects. Let each project live on its own merits. For all we know when Astartes starts back up it will look pretty and have a boring story and this will not look as good but have an amazing story. They will each have their own merits. 

it is baffling to me every time these threads pop up that people seem to want to do battle over these works, when they should be happy, in fact overjoyed, that GW are finally opening up for animated projects of various kinds. The more the better.  Different art styles does not mean better or worse. I've waited more than 20 years for these things to appear.

Equally odd is how people want to seemingly bash the successor to what was the most successful fan-animated story before Astartes came along. Things in each trailer so far seem pretty smooth, and emotion is conveyed in faces and the voices.. there is literally nothing to complain about here.  

Edited by Carach, 09 April 2021 - 08:40 PM.

• mel_danes, gaurdian31, apologist and 1 other like this

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

Thanks for saying it! This is exactly what I was thinking. New shows on 40K is exciting. I may not like all of them, but it’s nice that they’re being created. I think Angels of Death looks awesome in my opinion.
  • gaurdian31 likes this

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,059 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

You're right on first point. People should stop comparing. But Astarters is a work of one man. A top tier Hollywood level professional iirc, but one man. In his free time after work. Mind boggling.

• mel_danes likes this

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 835 posts
I honestly don't get why people are so quick to compare and disparage etc. When i started this hobby for thr first time in second edition even having one animation was unthinkable. Now we have multiple, plus a potential netflix style series, I can't believe my luck. Having this sort of content for a universe that I really like is just awesome.
  • mel_danes, Black Blow Fly, Arkhanist and 2 others like this

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 971 posts
  • Faction: Silent Sword Crusade

I honestly don't get why people are so quick to compare and disparage etc. When i started this hobby for thr first time in second edition even having one animation was unthinkable. Now we have multiple, plus a potential netflix style series, I can't believe my luck. Having this sort of content for a universe that I really like is just awesome.

Before the mods start handing out warnings, I agree wholeheartedly with everyone on this thread who express this sentiment. I would think that the intent for these creators is to inspire and share, not to be the best. Making it a competition for who has the "best" is and will always be a matter of opinion - just in the same way some people like Pixar over Dreamworks or Rooster Teeth, so many different styles - I am a Miyazaki fanboy but will never say it is the best. At first blush Astarte and Angel of Death are from the same realm, but are very different and distinct styles of animation. Astarte is what most would classify as "photoreal", Angel of Death is what I could call "stylized" - like Frank Millers "Sin City". On a technical level Angels of Death has A LOT more going on in one frame, a frenetic energy - whereas Astarte has an almost poetic balance of stillness and silence against intense violence.

I'm drooling over seeing all the new content, so glad it's happening on so many different fronts. 

• mel_danes, Black Blow Fly, Reclusiarch Krieg and 2 others like this

"My blood is the same colour as yours. And what I do, I do to protect Earth, same as you. You don't like how I do it, that's your prerogative. But there are things going on out there that you know nothing about. Threats to the human race that no one never hears about, because we stopped them. There are dangers all around us. And whether you like us or not, we may be all that stands between you and the abyss."
- Bester, Babylon 5

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

http://www.bolterand...primal-marines/

ewmbyoa46aj9.gif

Blood Angel Scout

Blood Angel Scout

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Isn't this a wiser approach to use different art styles, if the aim is to draw in more mainstream audiences?

On the trailer itself, it was too short! I want to start seeing full series being released already.
Baal Grain Whisky- a full blooded blend that gives you an angelic rush. Disclaimer- If you experience visions of apocalypse, extraordinary strength and believe to have wings, consult your local chaplain immediately

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users