Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Broken Throne - Legion XVII - The Dreamwalkers

A Broken Throne Alternate Heresy The Dreamwalkers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

++ Legion XVII: The Dreamwalkers ++

sml_gallery_104141_16141_88344.png

Primogenitor: Kuranos Hashtir
Cognomen (Prior): The Dreamwalkers
Observed Strategic Tendencies: Psychological Warfare, Command Chain Disruption, Shock and Awe attacks
Noteworthy Domains: Oureous
Allegiance: 

Introduction

The Dreamwalkers were always a somewhat insular Legion, a nature enforced first by the hardships they endured and later by their Primarch’s philosophy of manipulation. They were a symbol of the hypocrisies and contradictions of the Imperial Truth and unswerving faith in the rational that bordered upon fanatical on one hand and a callous willingness to manipulate the faith of those they deemed inferior on the other. Ultimately this be their doom, tearing the Legion apart even as the seeds of fell cults permitted under their willing ignorance blossomed amongst the domains of the absent Emperor.

Table of Content

• Pending

Inspiration/Creator's notes

The inspiration for the dreamwalkers includes the Deep Madness and Dawn of Madness games, Lovecraft's Dreamlands, Ambrose Bierce's Carcosa/Robert Chamber's Yellow King and their subsequent integration into Lovecraftian lore.

The idea is that at the end point you end up with a force that can warp reality to it's whim, because ultimately there is no true reality. Working backwards from that, for the purposes of this thread I'll briefly summarise condensed portions of the ideas noted down for their history and character, as well as their Primarch.

Pre-primarch: The Legion is dour and uncompromising, with no patience for sly words or misdirection. they are often sent by the Emperor to polities who have been negotiating with the Imperium, but for whom the Emperor's patience has been exhausted. Should they determine there is an attempt to stall for time or deceive the Imperial delegation, their response is immediate violence.

In addition the Legion has a mutation to their Catalepsean node that allows them to persist fr even longer than most astartes without sleep, making them suitable for prolonged battles. The downside is that the mental affects are even more pronounced, with vivid hallucinations and apparitions. Though this comes close to paralysing the Legion's actions in its first engagements, they soon learn methods to cope with and to ignore the side effects of this.

Primarch History: Is raised on a fractured planet enveloped in superstition and that is slowly falling prey to the influence of a nightmarish xenos race. Upon discover the Primarch is revered as a divine herald of "the messengers of the void" and proceeds to draw together most of the planet whilst drawing attention away from the xenos' actions. This changes upon a visit toe the last remaining 'rationalist' city, where they reveal to him aspects of his nature (though a limited analysis it can only be) as well as the truth regarding the xenos race. When he attempts to share these truths to his followers, they fall back into strife and bloodshed, many accusing him of being a false prophet. Though enraged by their weakness, Kuranos is left with no choice but to use the tools of superstition and faith to reunite the tribes and cities against the xenos,  whilst drawing a cadre of rationalists around him as an inner circle.

Post-Primarch: 

Many of the Terrans are semi-permanently assigned to the 'True Face' aspect of the Legion, the mode of warfare reserved for those foes against which the Dreamwalker's standard tactics are ineffective (AIs, certain xenos etc). Deploying the 'True Face' is seen as a mark of respect to those they face, though it often also means a conflict where utter destruction is required. The rest of the time the Legion focuses on a variety of methods to exploit local superstitions and symbology, either subverting them or breaking them so that not only is the morale of the foe broken, they are rendered pliable for integration of the Imperium. In this Kuranos points towards the Emperor's treatment of the Mechanicum and the Selenar (he respects his father as the ultimate rationalist) as justification for actions that might seem counter to the Imperial Truth, even if he doesn't believe in them himself. To this end the Legion becomes particularly well known for it's use of hallucinogenics, use of its limited psyker pool and other methods to make their appearance seem more fitting for whatever mythological element they are imitating.

An example I would use is the Space Wolves exemplary on Askhelon. If the world had refused compliance and the Dreamwalkers gained data on their fears regarding the tunnels and the screaming, they would use Termites and Mole Ordinati to burrow beneath the cities, planting vox-casters emitting shrieking, attacking from below and firing hallucinogens to further the effect. upon encountering the AI, they would immediately shift to the 'True Face' engaging in more conventional tactics of destruction.

That's all for now. More will be posted here as plot-lines in the universe are solidly decided, as well as the Legion's prospective units and organisation, along with more details on their homeworld and its history.

Note: Chaos aligned eyeless helms, sensory deprivation to bring them closer to the Dream (Calius' idea.)

Edited by Beren, 10 June 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• Doctor Perils, Kelborn and TheSpeckledTrout like this

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
  • Faction: XIth Legion Wardens of Light
Looking forward to this Legion

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_78117_10471_62812.png

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Fleet Registry:

Gloriana Class- The Eternal Lie (credit Calius).

Mine:

-Shattered Visage

-Edge of Consciousness

-The Broadablin

-Swimmer in the Mist

-Beneath the Lake

-The Last Ball

-Thought Hound

-Azure Bird

-Eternal Masque

-Laughter of the Lost (frigate, destroyed during the Nahum Great Crusade campaign).

Nomus':
-The Screaming Silence

-The Weeping Mask

-Knife of Nothingness

-The Mirror Cracked

-Acolyte of Falsehoods

-Gift of Malice

-Curse of Infinity

-Dreaming Anathema

-Unseen Interloper

-The Coming Dread

-Shape of Fear

-Unquiet Memory

-Voice of the Void

-Waking Shadow

-Periphery of Twilight

-Monsters from the Id

-Inquisition of Self

-Fang of Thoughts

-Phobos

-Paradoxical Truths

-Whisperer in Darkness

-Eyes Within

-Ghastly Vision

-Terror's Unkown

FunkyMonkey's:

-The Unwaking Nightmare

Bluntblade's:

-Oneiron's Stride

-Breaker of Altars

-Azenath Sceptre Noctis

Grifftofer's:

-Occam's Mindrazor

Calius':

-Shape of Nightmare to Come

-Impending Dread

-Allodynian Instinct

-Shapeless Enemy 

-Resurgent Suspicion

Edited by Beren, 02 December 2020 - 05:23 PM.

• TheSpeckledTrout likes this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Asalik raised a hand to his eyes, attempting to rub away the weariness as he looked at the latest set of readouts. The Legion's gifts had applications beyond battle, and for many days and nights he had stared at the same slate, the same details. Of course, the Legion's flaws were ever more perilous in research than in battle. A death was unfortunate, as was a battle lost. A corruption of the truth however, that was the closest thing to a sin in the eyes of the Primarch. Too many relied upon falsehoods as crutches for their existence. The Legion could not afford to. The longer he worked, the more likely the dreams would colour his observations, undermine them. Yet for some reason there was, an urge, an impulse that made him wish to avoid true dreams. He wasn't sure of the underlying cause. One of his brothers in the Apothecarion ought to examine him before and after the Legionary next rested.
Indeed, three of his gene-kin part of this endeavour had already reported in for examination, those assigned to examine the madman's ramblings for any underlying meaning, anything that could help explain him or be manipulated to ease him into a more coherent state. If anything, the opposite was achieved. There was something in his words, something that embedded itself into their underlying hallucinations. A frustration.

Again, Asalik looked down at the pic-capture of the man in the cell on the irrational impulse that the enhanced eyes of an Astartes could pick out something the data had missed. Nothing. Apart from the fact that the poor soul had gouged out his eyes, he looked entirely ordinary. The exposure that the rememberancer had been subjected to ought not to have been enough to sustain this months long delirium. No neural abnormalities had been detetected in his cortex. True, the psychophenatic compounds affected some more than others. There were weak minds everywhere, even among the most advanced of creations if some of his Primarch's more confidential discussions were to believed. Byerek had already suggested that they dismiss the case as an anomaly, and have the thing put out of its misery. Yet, if his madness could be understood, its root causes defined, then that knowledge could be used. The principles were clear. Isolate anomalies. Analyse every belief and irrationality until the truth was revealed. Strip the human consciousness to the bone, and you could rebuild it as you wished. At the end of it all, perhaps the subject could be led to some measure of peace.

Edited by Beren, 01 May 2020 - 06:30 PM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Post-siege Dreamwalker forces:

The Ascended - basically daemons beyond the boundaries of reality. Only appear in exceptionally dire circumstances, normally a manifestation of thier homeworld.

Manifestations - Echoes of the above, appearing long  prior to a full outbreak. Can only take the forms of local superstitions, as well as their original forms, as those are grounded in reality.

The Severed- Those who have been punished or forcibly cut off from their ascended existence, trapped in their original forms. Can possessed and the like.

The Prophets- Those who have voluntarily remained material in order to establish cults and weaken the boundaries between dreams and reality.

The Promised - Descendants of Dreamwalkers who did not ascend. Some wish to ascend themselves, others do not.

The Dreamers- Mortal cultists who wish to pass into dream-forms themselves.

The Wakeless- Sleepwalker zombies, only appear in specific circumstances.

"You resent the upper hivers, living in their gilded spires? I pity them. They have not dreamnt as I have. They cannot dream of anything beyond the empty palaces they have built themselves. But I see. I see the things that cannot be seen, dream the things that cannot be dreamnt. All the opulences of this world pale to what can be found beyond the veil. The spire lords would cower before the beings I have seen. Abandon the squalor of this reality, and enter into the next..."

"I shall tell you then, how it began. At first the dreams were merely pleasant things. Another layer of satisfaction in a life of fulfilment. Only, it changed. It grew. Night after night they grew more vivid, until I wondered if I lived the dream or dreamed the life. The fruits and wines I tasted upon my tongue in waking hours were nothing to the sensations I encountered in my slumber. Every piece of art, every drug, every literary masterpiece was insufficient, for perfection is something seen in the mind alone and it is our dreams that open our eyes to the innermost chambers of our minds. I saw giants whose forms twisted to whatever they wished, or no form at all. Existence unbound by the petty restraints of our physical forms. Golden angels of an entire world transcended. Do you know how wretched it feels, to return to this plane every morn? To see all you have amassed, all you have accomplished, and to know it is as dust to what could never be? Only in the mind is perfection glimpsed, but could we not make the mind and reality the same?"

Ah, no, that actually is a mask. Unusual for my kind, I know. What's underneath is rather mundane, but still a bit off-putting to some... see. Who did that to me? Well, I did. Once, long ago or perhaps not too far in the future, I chose to look up into the sun. Every sun. Billions of them, every hue imaginable and more combined into one. Shackled suns, dying suns, vibrant suns, angry suns, cold suns... It was magnificent. More so than anything I have ever seen. I felt, let myself feel, the radiance boil my eyes in their sockets and scorch my skin almost to the bone. This was despite the fact that at the time I didn't strictly have any of those things. Still, I chose to wear that visage, this visage, from then on. A constant reminder to myself and others of the beauty I had witnessed. The others... were not to fond of it. They hate permanence. The idea of... fulfilment. So they granted my wish, but in doing so expelled me from the dream. Reached into the minds of cultists and forced my soul into the body of a captured Astartes. Now this scorched visage is mine to wear until the day I die."

Edited by Beren, 23 August 2020 - 08:12 AM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Current notes on the pre-Primarch Legion:

These are fairly rough, and subject to change.

The Flesh Hewn- Originated from an ill-tempered band of tribes and/or city states with a reputation for having a lack of patience with subtlety or threats. Compliance was not bloodless, but actually grew easier once the Emperor made clear his intents of conquest, withdrawing his ‘veil of diplomacy’. Named the Flesh Hewn by their people, as they were organically created rather than the cyborg and cybernetic constructs with which they aided themselves in battle (part of their attitude can be found reflected in automata, who if fired upon in any situation will respond immediately with lethal force, regardless of the origin). They despised boasting, responding at best with impassive silence and at worse with outright silence. In this stance they were often used as the humblers of kings, slaughtering finely arrayed armies, making a mockery of courts and immediately engaging the compliance the second they lost patience and suspected they were being misled or stalled. Though they succeed in maintaining a working relationship with more professional Legions (such as the Lightning bearers?) they were instinctively at odds with those that possessed a penchant for rivalry or bravado (blood wolves?). Occasionally members of the Flesh Hewn would be dispatched along with diplomatic delegations as a sign that the Emperor’s patience was wearing thin, and that any further conversation had best be concise and accurate regardless of the final outcome.

Though they had little patience with the political intricacies and maneuvering of the Imperium’s relationship with the Mechanicum, the Flesh Hewn favoured the blunt and efficient attitudes expressed by some of their war-leaders, and also obtained large supplies of combat automata (for the reason mentioned above).

Another note is that due to a hyperactivity of the Catalapsean node, they were able to go for longer than most Astartes without sleep, at the cost of increased mental issues and hallucination. The early legion had to learn how to separate reality from the figments of their own mind, leading to a scepticism inbuilt within the Legion in regards to surreal phenomena.

EDIT: Later notes

I was thinking that for the proto-Dreamwalkers, a large portion might be drawn from nomadic groups, especially those familiar with using stimulants to keep moving over longer periods. Possibly for the officer cadre, with a bulk drawn from a more stable and populous group. This could even end up setting up a sort of hierarchy between the two groups in the early Legion.

Also thinking of placing the emphasis on protracted engagements and their struggle to maintain cohesion in the face of these.

Thoughts of pre-Kuranos Dreamwalker Legion doctrine. An initial hammerblow mass assault to break the enemy while coordination is still good, then fragmenting into sub-lodges and automata clades to continue the attack, hunting down and harrying all the fragmented forces, and never stopping until the  battle is won. There is always a sizeable reserve that maintains coordination that can intervene if a final major assault is needed, or to cover the retreat if something goes wrong or something new turns up or if they just need to pull back and evaluate.

Edited by Beren, 23 August 2020 - 08:12 AM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Lodges: Though the Legion used the Carta Bellicosa as a baseline structure, they also integrated and reinforced this with 'lodges' (different name pending). This originated as  pre-Primarch structure that allowed a company or chapter to use their shared experiences to communicate, coordinate and verify circumstances even as they suffered from hallucination. A 'lodge' could therefore span multiple different strata, from the shared heritage between waste-walkers or vigil-holders - to any group that shares a memorable battle or engagement. This could even extend to such things such as poetry or games. Using details, symbols and phrases from their shared experience, a group could use these to confirm that they are communicating with real versions of one another, and that there is veracity in what they report. This approach would eventually penalise any attempts at mass recruitment to form new formations, new recruits instead being gradually integrated into existing structures and taking pains to learn what had been set before them.  Though Kuranos would establish the Hypsoian Order to to manage and treat hallucinatory incidents, as well as regulate and disentangle the psychology of these pre-existing formations, he saw the value and stability given by such structures. therefore he allowed them to remain, on the condition that the Hypsioans ensure that every Legionary was made aware of the origins and relevance of such practices, lest they fall into superstition. He did however demand that the Hypsioans themselves, as well as any member of his command cadre, be fully seperated from such structures. The ability to function without them was much valued by the Primarch, seen as proof of ones mental ability. In such a manner were many Terrans, unable or unwilling to me beyond such practices, disqualified from the uppermost echelons of the Dreamwalkers.

In addition to the webs of symbol and communication within each group, there was a far more unified set of practices, first being rooted in the Legion's founding battles on Terra and later in the practices of Oureous, to allow coordination between such groups. Though moderately effective, this still fell far short of the unity achieved within a lodge, and the combination on a squad or company level of different lodges was a far more difficult manner. Even though it was exceptionally rare for a lodge to be in the grips of hallucination in their entirety, the enforcement of the lodge system meant that different lodges were reticent to interact with one another. Such cooperation was often dependent on the overlap between lodges, so that the members of one company that shared heritage with members of another company could relay their messages in the verified form to those individuals, who would then verify the message to the rest of their company through the practices built up by the company's shared experiences. However the larger the Dreamwalker detachment, the more lodges through which the message or intent would have to be relayed. Kuranos' founding of the Hypsoians improved manners somewhat, for in being separate from the lodge they were best placed to coordinate between them. The one thing that seemed to unify different lodges without exception was the Primarch himself, whose presence and commands seemed to cut through whatever form of delirium a Dreamwalker might experience. it was thus natural that the largest and most cohesive battles the Legion fought during the Great Crusade were always with Kuranos at their head.

Lodge of the Waking Slumber:

The Lodge of the Waking Slumber was a kinship solidified during the Compliance of Phel-4. Upon identifying a large number of human civilisations, all fractured and relatively low tech, the companies involved made planet fall at what appeared to a large but desolate temple upon the planet's northernmost continent's most densely occupied region. Upon their arrival they were surprised to discover traces of technology sufficiently advanced to be near incomprehensible to their tech-marines and tech-priests.This only confirmed the assumption that the site would be of some significance to the native population, possibly revealing the source of mythology and superstition that could be exploited to pacify the local population. In conjunction with the attempts of their artisans to analyse the technology and translate carvings amongst the ruins, scouts - both astartes and mortal - were dispatched to reconnoitre local population centres, paying particular attention to buildings of learning and faith.

Everything progressed as intended, until it didn't. Later reports gave no indication of what triggered the facility's activation. When it did, it somehow generated a 'mass-atmospheric disturbance' that prevented the orbiting fleet from making contact or dispatching transports to the now stranded Dreamwalker force. There have also been allegations that the detachment simply refused to depart, becoming utterly obsessed with the ruin's contents. In either case, the ground deployment had more pressing concerns. Their mortal scouts vox-returns had fallen silent, while their Astartes reported an inexplicable mass assault from the natives and were forced to fight their way back. What followed was a siege lasting months.

While the fleet attempted to devise a way to reach them and sent astropathic messages for assistance, the stranded Legionaries were forced to repel near constant attacks from forces using everything from heavy slug throwers to spears and shields. Their genetic constitution enabled them at first to deploy near the entirety of their strength without the need for off-duty rotations, neither their technicians nor their guards taking a moments rest. Gradually, this began to take its toll. The detachment reported an upsurge in hallucinations and psychotic incidents. Simultaneously, perhaps suspiciously so, their Techmarines began to elicit responses from the ancient machinery upon which they worked. It took little time to deduce the correlation, but at first protocol kept them from pursuing this avenue further. The psychological issues would worsen further, even though the afflicted units remained technically functional, before matters forced their hand. Six Legionaries with no apparent connection appeared to collapse entirely, sinking into states of delirium. Without the proper facilities to treat them, and their irrational actions posing a risk of compromising the lodge structure that their less affected brothers was using to remain functional, the Delegatus ordered that their techmarines do what they could with the afflicted. Somehow, they were able to insert the stricken marines into the the machinery within the structure and seconds later the whole edifice was engulfed in a blaze of constant multi-hued light and depictions of insanity. When the orbital disruption finally cleared, observed by no less than three of the Mechanicum's surveyor barges and a reinforcement fleet of the Dreamwalkers, this apparition remained in place, only dissipating when a detachment of Hypsioans and the Miskatiran elite breached it to inform the defenders that aid had arrived. It seemed that the devices had somehow projected the afflicted's hallucinations upon the surrounding landscape. While the natives where thrown into irrecoverable disarray by these apparitions, the lodge-bound Dreamwalkers had slaughtered them.

Though there was no official sanction given the circumstances, an unusually large detachment of Hypsioans would be appended to the Lodges structure, and it would be placed in garrison duty for a stable recovery. This was maintained until the outbreak of the first Inter-Astartes war where the Dreamwalkers, as with the other Legiones Astartes, was forced to commit every element it had to the fighting. In these dark times the lodge would begin to again delve into the technology recovered during the Phel-4 compliance, seeing it as a far superior application of the combat principles that the Legion pulled elsewhere with hallucinogens and similarly mundane 'tricks'. For  time this even lead to their censure, and the declaration that they were an 'Insurgo'  force, before the events at their homeworld and the rising insanity within the Legion rendered any such transgressions moot

Lodges of the Sublime Illusion and the Raging Cacophony-

As time went on, two distinct schools of thought began to emerge among those members of the Dreamwalkers who most espoused the use of their illusory tactics. One- the Lodge of the Sublime Illusion - believed that every deception had to be crafted to perfection, every aspect accounted for in order to guide the subjects flawlessly towards a perception of reality that benefited the Legion. There are, unsubstantiated, reports that during the latest days of the Great Crusade the slightest error in the realities they crafted would cause them to enter into a furious rage, casting down entire cities for it. The other group, the 'Raging Caconophy' held that such pursuits were a waste of time and that all one needed to do was to overwhelm the subjects senses so utterly that they were permanently broken, and could then be moulded as the legion wished. Despite the corruption that is in hindsight evident, neither group would suffer the Sublimation that claimed the bulk of the Legion...

Lodge of the Withered Bough-

PLACEHOLDER TEXT- Uses captured pariahs to maintain their grip on reality and evade their kin post civil-war. Results in a significant grudge with the Grave Stalkers and Wardens of Light.

Edited by Beren, 26 May 2020 - 04:44 PM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Veil Renders-

The Veil Renders were an elite core of Terminators within the Dreamwalkers Legion versed in the art of exploiting teleportation attacks for their shock value, even adopting the reckless tactic of leaving brief warp scars in their wake that threatened to drive those that viewed their arrival insane or otherwise compromise their fighting ability. Among the Legion it was the Veil Renders that were most prone to adopting the visages of a culture's Gods, Demons and monsters, the combination of a pre-selected attire and the weakened reality that heralded their deployment augmenting this affect. While the Legions reconnaissance force and psykers might spend months seeding cults, laying prophesies and marking omens, it was the Veil Renders who brought those prophecies to fruition, bringing destruction promised weeks ago and seeded in the minds of their targets. To their foe they might seem godly avatars, swathed in divine power and gilded armour. They might seem savage beasts that take a mocking form of humanity with nightmarish features and savage claws, rending apart those that fall before them. Many refuse the use of conventional ranged weapons, instead opting for melee arms that carry a far older and more ingrained meaning.

Ivisson Korrphemos, 2nd Veil Renders Assault Cadre

Korphemos is here seen having altered his armour to better resemble the 'Tallymen' that were feared among the swamplands of Kortus-Five. He is in swap water stained Indomitus Plate, but the helm is of the somewhat rare Vigilum sub-pattern, with a significant amount of surface armour stripped away or rearranged so that it could bear a prodigious number of sensor arrays and occular lenses, which in this case have had their luminescence turned  up to maximum. Though this sub-pattern was most common amongst the Steel Legion, the 2nd Veil Renders Assault cadre requisitioned the entirety of this pattern available to their expeditionary fleet prior to this deployment. Crudely bolted to his back is a lumen globe sealed within an artefact crafted to resemble the 'soul-catcher' lanterns which the natives believed the Tallymen to use in the capture of their victim's essence. His power glaive is likewise selected to resemble the weapons supposedly used in Tallyman harvests. Despite the campaigns rapid success, Korrphemos would fall in the elimination of the Age of Strife abominations upon which he had based his appearance.

Mortisson A'karta,  89th Expeditionary Fleet

Here Mortisson A'karta can also be seen in Indomitus Plate, during the Garost Bloodings. In his case his armour has been scorched black and smeared with crimson, its eyepieces appearing to be flaring embers , though in places the paint can be seen to have worn away to reveal it's original heraldry. It should be noted that the twin lightning claws are not of the issue usually used in conjunction with Indomitus Tactical Dreadnought Armour, instead being more reminiscent of those seen on Cataphracti models. When A'karta and others of unit teleported onto the front lines, the bulk of the Garost Confederates main army saw their leadership be torn apart by what they believed to be the Hungerers said to stalk their wastes.

Pheykon Siriamar

For the most part, Pheykon's armour is in standard grey, albeit overlayed with a host of silvered etchings that give the apparance of a far nobler suit of armour. That his feral worlders on Marvelsa that his squad were sent to confront were unable to scrutinise the quality of etchings is understandable due the lightning projectors, seen to be operating near to the point of overloading. Combined with his Thunderhammer, this appearance was enough to convince most feral worlders that he and his quads were the Thunder Gods of their legends. Any remaining doubts were removed when dissenting lords were obliterated in ritual combat, causing the majority of the world's populace to rally behind the Dreamwalker delegation. Imperial Iterators would later find the clan's beliefs and religion so strongly reinforced by this series of events that it would hamper their integration and pacification for decades.

Keros Somnaseille

Though it might appear that Keros' Cataphractii armour appears to be heavily damaged, and by the quantities of leaked blood its occupant near dead, this is actually a pict-image of Keros prior to his deployment during the closing stages of the Saltossen campaigns. He bears the standard Legion heraldry of Movak Synerrik, a Terminator veteran who had been slain during a disastrous engagement weeks earlier. Aware that footage of Synerrik's demise - and that of his squad - had been widely circulated as part of the non-compliant goverment's propaganda, Legion artificers visually mimicked the damage done in detail, Keros likewise bears the same style of power blade as Movak, though the combibolter has been discarded. When Keros and similarly attired Veil Renders tore their way into existence in the midst of the same company responsible for Movak's death, since lauded with many accolades for their actions, it crippled the Saltosen's morale. From then on it was feared that any Dreamwalker they killed might return to wreak a bloody vengeance, and resistance began to collapse.

Edited by Beren, 16 April 2020 - 06:47 AM.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
"any Dreamwalker they slew"

Humble scrivener - alternate Episode IX attempt now complete!

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,765 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
Dargoth Thul
  Occupying a rank roughly equivalent to that of Epistolary, Dargoth Thul was not the most powerful member of the Dreamwalkers' Librarius. However, his exceptional degree of control over his abilities meant that he could be trusted not only to serve free of Hyposian supervision, but to undertake joint operations with other Legions. As a result, and given the volatility of Chief Librarian Mygor Sathlus, it was Thul who most often represented his Legion in the negotiations which forged the Librarius. However, in the case of the XVIIth, while Thul worked towards the acceptance of psykers within the Legions, he was also constant in defending the nonconformist structure and methods of Librarians within the Dreamwalkers.

Edited by bluntblade, 19 April 2020 - 07:01 PM.

Humble scrivener - alternate Episode IX attempt now complete!

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Psykers within the Dreamwalkers:

The Psykers of the Dreamwalkers are a complex matter. On the one hand they are of vital importance to facilitating the Legion's way of war. Though they number no more than an average Legion, if such a thing truly exists, they are used constantly. Telepaths are perhaps seen as the most useful 'Dreamwalkers' in the most literal sense possible. They can steal myths and superstitions directly from the minds of a target, then magnify them and return them tenfold. Though the uses of telepaths are the most flexible, other disciplines have their places in the Dreamwalker's theatric displays.

On the other hand, this only magnifies their risks. Any psyker is constantly at the centre of abnormal phenomena that could be confused with hallucination, or trigger it. Should a psyker fall into a loop of reacting to their own visions and unleashing greater phenomena, it risks having a ripple effect on the surrounding Legionaries. The strain their duties place upon them do little to alleviate this.

For this reason, one of the key duties of the Hypsoian Order is the pre and post battle monitoring and treatment of psykers, assigning treatments and stability levels. It is these stability levels, the degree of restraint that a psyker is capable of displating, that determines ahere a psyker is assigned to battle. The most restrained, those capable of weilding their abilities with the utmost precision, are deployed amongst the reconnaissance elements responsible for detecting and inflaming useful superstitions. The less controlled are sent in amongst shock elements, sowing havoc amongst the enemy. Those who would be assigned solely to recovery were only unleashed in the most dire circumstances, or in the presence of the Primarch.

Chief Librarian Mygor Sathlus may be considered such a case, for though his power and skill were unsurpassed in the Legion, he struggled to communicate with outsiders or in a tongue other than his native one, capable of falling into reveries where found himself forced to remain inert lest instinctively reacted to his hallucinations. For this reason he was most commonly seen in Kuranos's presence, whose proximity seemed to alleviate such symptons, thus becoming a member of the unofficial 'Sleepless Guard".

It should also be noted that psykers are commonly assigned a squad for the duration of their surface, so that they may form a 'lodge' that enables them to remain grounded and that if necessary can suppress them. Though these squads - sometimes specifically trained and sometimes drawn from those brothers already close to the psyker - would be permanently assigned to a psyker and vice versa - the unit as a whole could be re-equipped and redeployed at the behest of their superiors.

Early in the wars, such squads would bear heraldry marking as such, though this soon proved to mark them as a target of assasinatiom to those familliar to the Legion's ways. Later this would become but another aspect of the Legion's displays, concealing or inflating the true number of psykers present in a detachment as according to the markings displayed. This in turn served to undermine coherency around such units, especially between different Dreamwalker detachments.

Edited by Beren, 23 August 2020 - 08:02 AM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

"Perhaps instead of Noise Marines with Sonic Weapons the Dreamwalkers could employ specialised Psy-weapons that fire mind-shredding visions of Slaaneshii horrors into their opponent's psyche or waves of focussed agony/bliss?

Sort of like miniature versions of the Psi-Titan's main weapon, but instead of multiple whole psykers powering it the thing has a bunch of still-alive psyker brains, all wired up together in a amniotic tank and hopped up on warp dust.

Instead of Noise Marines, they could be called Nightmares or Oneiroi."

A suggestion courtesy of Nomus, transferred from Discord.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Noctolax 'Night-runner' class automata.

The original Night-runners were a bastardised derivative of the ancient Crusader template used by the K'sechi nomads of pre-Unification Terra, one of the many groups from which the stock of the XVIIth Legion was drawn. These tireless constructs were capable of keeping up with the nomadic convoy's constant pace, and of still being able to engage a foe at a moments notice. Though costly for the nomads to maintain, the ability to scout ahead, respond to aggression at moments notice and if necessary to be expendable in the face of breaking through a blockade or delaying pursuers made them vital to the nomad's existence. When the K'sechi ran into the only foe they could not avoid or break through, the nascent Imperium, many of those taken from the tribe and inducted into the Legion would remember the faith placed in these constructs, and demanded their reproduction. Though originally just one idiosyncrasy in a Legion drawn from different peoples, the design soon proved a boon to the proto-Dreamwalker's requirements. Once hard-coded not to respond to any of it's mentor Legionaries as a threat -thus reducing the risks of friendly fire triggered by a hallucinating Legionary's panick- the automata would prove capable of sustaining itself in the Legionaries' extended engagement, and even in pressing the attack home. The attached pict-feeds could prove more reliable than a fellow Legionary's reports under duress, and they showed no doubt when confronted by a surprise enemy. As lodges began to form, each one would modify their automata in their own fashion. Night-runner's could even be integrated into a lodge's symbology. Thus legionaries would better be able to identify them in extremis, and they could be used to correlate and confirm a Legionaries observations of their surroundings.

Ultimately, these structures would lead to the Night-runner's decline. The Martian priesthood would produce a modernised variant for the Legion's use. In this they named the pattern Noctolax, though many of the Legion used the prior name.  In exchange for access to the design itself ensured that it was fit for war across the stars. Ultimately, the increase in cohesion and formation stability within the Dreamwalkers rendered the automata's original roles redundant, gradually seeing them sacrificed as expendable shock weapons, relegated to reserve stocks, or altered ever more bizarrely in the Legion's quest to manipulate the emotions of the enemy. For a time the Legion's decline during the First Inter-Legionary war would reverse that trend among some lodges  as they attempted to stymie their degradation, before the bulk of the Legion passed beyond such material objects and concerns entirely.

"Do you know what I think our mistake was? We became too reliant upon our Primarch. The way he spoke, the methods he used, the effect his presence alone had. They all lifted the fog of illusion from us, limited the spread of madness. Yet it was a system designed under ideal circumstances, born from theory. What we had before was a system born from experience. Ramshackle and inefficient yes, but robust and tested. The old Legion clawed it's way together into cohesion without aid, thousands of disparate souls adrift in their own minds binding together to wage war. The old instincts atrophied even as Kuranos' rationality reforged the Legion into a keener blade. Now he is gone, and we speak not of where and to what fate. His rationality unravelled beneath him, as does the Legion. Now i fear we will see worse fates than befell us even in the Legions earliest days."

Edited by Beren, 25 April 2020 - 09:40 PM.

• bluntblade likes this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Dreamwalker Auxillary and Allied Forces

Auxillary forces attached to the Dreamwalkers tend to be of two natures. The first tend to be a set of expendable troops, attached as much for psychological study as for military purposes. In addition to being able to study the melting pot of different beliefs from scores of worlds as they clash with each other and the reality of spaceborne life, they also prove simple for the Dreamwalkers to manipulate, being easily urged to a near-fanaticism should the Legion require it.  Those enlisted for shipboard or menial duty are trained to complete simple and repetitive tasks, often being introduced to them in an almost ritualistic fashion. On the battlefield they are too easily convinced that they fight against heathens and monsters and at the behest of beings that are near Gods. The downside of this is that they struggle to interact with other more typical Auxillia forces. The Dreamwalker’s treatment of such allies would become criticised over the course of the Great Crusade, especially as their tactics in cases began to become more excessive and risked rendering entire regiments that fought alongside them unusable.

These were overseen and supplemented by a core of mortals whose views and mentality approached the Legion’s own. Most commonly they were drawn from Oureous’ rationalist enclaves, ever burgeoning since Kuranos had risen to power, but could also recruited from wherever the Primarch deemed the local population met his own exacting standards. Always schooled in the exact information that the Dreamwalkers have about the foe and the Legion’s battleplans, in the field of battle these cadres are also equipped with sensory and environmentally protective gear that shielded them from the worse side effects of the masters’ method of war. The Solar Auxilia pattern gear was often, though not universally adapted to this end. Without the reliance upon psychological reinforcement, this corps of forces provided the Dreamwalker auxilia a reliable backbone unlikely to break under either the enemy’s influences or the byproducts of the XVIIth Legion’s tactics.

Though the Legion maintained numerous ties to the Mechanicum, usually under the partially false pretenses of shared conviction, there is also a rumoured council of ‘apostate’ tech-priests integrated into the Legion’s inner council and the rationalist enclaves on Oureuos. Though raised in the Mechanicum’s traditions, such individuals would scorn worship of the Omnissiah and seek the reasoning behind so many of the Mechanicum’s rituals. Of course, the existence of such is purely theoretical. It would take Kuranos a great deal of effort to locate and persuade such individuals to join him, and no more than a handful of them could exist. Should their existence be proven, it would likely cause the Legion some amount of strife with Mars.

It is also here appropriate to mention the Legio Sagaventis and House Operani. Though neither are sworn to the Dreamwalkers exclusively, they do have a degree of limited ties. Legio Sagaventis was freshly founded when its maniples were deployed against the (Vermalkyr?). The Dreamwalker contingent present had initiated communications with the newborn Legio months before they reached the battlezone, taking time to negotiate the labyrinthine web of politics and pride that surrounds any Legio. With requests, masked offerings of advice, and the sealing of a few minor but mutually beneficial compacts - the Dreamwalkers were able to persuade the Legio Princeps to reconfigure some of their tactics and equipment for the duration of the campaign, designed to best exploit the awing presence of the God-Machines and the effects of this upon the mortal foe. Firepower was concentrated in manners that seemed tactically sub-optimal so as to better cause a mass-psychological impact. Warlord Titans put themselves at great risk engaging at least one Vremalkyr in melee, tearing it down at great cost to themselves but displaying their might to onlookers. Their war-sirens were harmonised, so that their charges were accompanied by what was described as the music of war-gods. Rather than abandoning such practices, the Legio maintained them even after the war had concluded. Long thereafter their detractors would claim that they had developed an overweening arrogance, intoxicated on the results of their displays. The Dreamwalkers, on the other hand, would come to call upon the Legio on other occasions where it was felt their talents might be suited.

House Operani

House Operani (or the Houses Operani might be more accurate, as the world possessed several houses, each its own heritage)  however owes something of a debt to the Dreamwalkers and the wider Imperium. For centuries they had watched over their world, fending off invasions as they had come until one arrived that was not so easily opposed. A set of asteroid strikes seemed initially a coincidence, and perhaps it was. One keep was destroyed by close proximity to an impact site, but most were sturdily built and void-shielded, surviving the impacts aftermath. Other cities and bastions were destroyed, abandoned, overrun. Such a disaster, while significant, was recoverable and in time the world began to rebuild itself. Unknown to them, the impacts had brought with them a far more insidious threat.

Infection fields, as they were later known, began to form around the impact sites. Plants and fauna, even people, were slowly twisted by the presence of some form of contaminant. New forms began to emerge, built to further spread the infection. Even a handful of Knight Houses in proximity to the infection fields were corrupted. When this was discovered, the untainted Houses unified and rode forth. Corrupted bloodlines were put to the sword, their armours scoured and redistributed. Armiger retainer parties swept outlying settlements, purging without hesitation where Sacristan-administered testing uncovered contamination. Houses set out in strength to purge the infection fields themselves, leaving nothing but ash behind them. By the next year the infection fields had regrown. The response was rad-bombardment, which seemed to at least deprive the infection of biomass to corrupt but did not seem to eradicate it entirely.

The stringent measures would remain in place and even be built upon. The Knight Scions were never seen outside of environmentally sealed armour outside of their own keeps again, and the world’s single spaceport was torn down in order to ensure a planetary quarantine. Such would still be the case when the Dreamwalkers arrived years later, immediately met by demands to turn back or be fired upon. Once they had determined the cause of the quarantine, the Dreamwalkers were put in mind of the creatures they had defeated upon XXX. Their own Hypsoian Cadre, calling upon Mechanicum Genetors and even the expertise of other Legions, devoted extensive resources and time to developing a bioweapon that could eradicate the infection permanently. Upon deployment, the weapon appeared successful, and in return the Houses swore loyalty to the Imperium.

Despite this, most of the measures remained unchanged. Of the natives, only members of the Houses were permitted to leave the planet, and they were still never seen in the flesh. Precious few outsiders were allowed to land either. Despite such practices that verged on paranoia, the Houses accounted for themselves well during the Great Crusade. Towards its end they would deploy the bulk of their strength alongside the Dreamwlkers, seemingly contradicting the fact that intercepted communications indicated a quickening decay in relations between the two.

• bluntblade likes this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Within the 17th Legion, the degree of pride otherwise attached to awards and honours is seen by their Primarch as yet another example of psychological utility that his Legion ought to be above. Such honours are seen to exist to inspire and reward actions that as members of the Legiones Astartes they ought to perform inherently. As such, honours within the Legion are rarely given, and more used by commanders as a means of identifying subordinates with specific campaign histories and exceptional capabilities. Those awards given are either simple acknowledgements of the specific nature of a campaign, or a specific feat that the Leginary has performed and ought to be able to perform again.

One of the more notable ‘honours’ is that of the Blinded Eye, only issued after a Legionary has been active in a combat zone for a significant period with no fellow Dreamwalker  Legionaries and has done so without suffering a single hallucinatory detriment. Requiring a lengthy verification process by the Hypsoian Order to determine the lack of trauma, this typically resulted from a warrior bieng cut off from their own lines during the flow of battle. Those who had been issued the Blind Eye were deemed suitable for duties which carried took them away from the bulk of the Legion, acting to some degree as advisors, ambassadors or in some cases covert agents beholden to Kuranos or other Imperial factions.

Edited by Beren, 26 June 2020 - 09:34 AM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Dramatis Personae:

Kuranos Hasthtir, Primarch of the XVIIth, Lord of Ochre

Mygor Sathlus, Master of the Aetherwielders (Chief Librarian Equivalent), member of the Sleepless Guard

Leysson, psyker, member of the Sleepless Guard 

Baudas, psyker, member of the Sleepless Guard  - Fell during the Great Crusade

Isellos, member of the Sleepless Guard

Kaytak, member of the Sleepless Guard

Asalik, Equerry to the Primarch, Foremost of the Hypsoian Order

Byerek, member of the Hypsoian Order

Herrio Kaestaiynes, Praetor of the Poisoned Light and and Grand Vizier of the Court of Morpheus.

Dargoth Thul, Voice of the Aetherwielders 

Illysk Phrensen, Aetherwielder, The Dream Touched

Kelprayas, Praetor of the Lodge of the Twisted Spire- Fell during the Great Crusade

Sesorrik, Praetor of the Lodge of the Crawling Rust- Fell during the Great Crusade

Ivisson Korrphemos, 2nd Veil Renders Assault Cadre- Fell during the Great Crusade

Mortisson A'karta, Veil Render

Pheykon Siriamar, Veil Render

Keros Somnaseille, Veil Render

Haradesh Ghorm- Praevian

Syk Khet- Demoted Praetor

Samnos Iytellon, Primasantas of the Glory Unrevealed

Ves'hiko Dhurranesh, the Patchwork Man, Banshee Recon Squad sergeant

[REDACTED]- Former Rememberancer

Movak Synerrik, Terminator Veteran- Fell during the Great Crusade

Lodges:
The Waking Slumber
The Sublime Illusion
The Raging Cacophony
The Withered Bough
The Empty Stars
The Fraught Wastes
The Hollow World

The Verdant Dancer (member of the Tulzan sect, destroyed pre-war)

The Bloody Feaster

The Sunken City

The Shattered Storm

The Silver Gate

The Silent Cry

The Poisoned Light

The Skinless Fkesh

The Twisted Tower (destroyed pre-war)

The Crawling Rust (destroyed pre-war)

The Twilight Marches (destroyed early war)

The Emerald Flame (member of the Tulzan sect, destroyed pre-war)

Nomus'-

The Psychopomp

The Ascendant One

The Night Terror

The Court of Morpheus

The Waking Horror

Shadowswordmaster-

The Dark Sleeper

Edited by Beren, 02 December 2020 - 05:26 PM.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Just a note that the homeworld of the Dreamwalkers, formerly Oureous, is now called Y'hetill.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts
                Dreamwalkers Line Art Shaded

Praetor Herrio Kaestyeis is shown in the above image bearing the heraldry he wore shortly after his exemplary performance promotion from Neophyte to a minor command of one of the Vigil detachments tasked with scouring the far reaches of Y’hetill for any sign of leftover technology or holdouts of the Whisperers of the Moon and their fanatic worshippers. Though the xenos had long since been declared as exterminated, Kuranos remained ever cautious that a scheming cabal of survivors or the leftover dregs of their bioweapons in the hands of deluded tribes could wreak destruction upon more populous regions. Assignment to these Vigils was common for those Astartes freshly out of the Y’hetill recruitment centers, offering extended field training punctuated by brief spurts of punitive action. Through punitive actions against the occasional cult and interaction with outlying nomads, the Dreamwalker aspirants would learn both of the danger and value of superstition.

Here Kaestaiynes’ armour can be seen to bear both stylisms associated with the metropolitan city states and others adopted from the scattered clans and tribes that skirted around the ‘forbidden lands’. He is known to have interacted with such groups frequently, using them as a form of advanced warning against potential threats, sometimes following their generational rumours to uncover half-forgotten shrines and vaults.

After a formal induction into the Lodge of the Twisted Spire, Herrio would see service for three decades of the Great Crusade until his promotion to Praetor in the aftermath of the harrowing Nahum campaign. Though victorious against the xenospectraic entities that they had at first attempted to mimic as described by the local folklore, casualties sustained would force the Lodges of the Twisted Spire and the Crawling Rust to be merged into the Lodge of the Poisoned Light. The camouflage patterns adopted in the early stages of the campaign, shown as worn by Herrio below, would be retained by the reformed Lodge thereafter.

Dreamwalkers Line Art AM Version2
Herrio would survive to become a major figure among the Seventeenth Legion during the outbreak of the First Inter-Astartes War and its descent into the conflagration that would become known as the XXX. As Kuranos became more and more obsessed with hunting down the cause of the internal troubles afflicting the Legion, Kaestaiynes found himself assuming command over the bulk of Dreamwalker forces operating along the further stretches of the war in the galactic east. The Poisoned Light soon plied their trade amidst worlds already wary of the horrors the Outer Dark and Shrouded Regions could bring, paralysing Governors in wait for their ethereal ‘visits’. Other Lodges soon exploited this reputation, adopting the Poisoned Light’s heraldry to further the conception of the Lodge striking far and wide regardless of stellar geography or lines of battle. Before long what was later whispered of as ‘the Court of Morpheus’ had been established, and the colours born on Nahum had spread across the the Lodges of the Dreamwalkers

• Nomus Sardauk and Doctor Perils like this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

"So, the Dreamwalkers fleet... I'm thinking a bunch of recon escorts, capable of stealthily overpowering and boarding a ship or two. The same group is later responsible for chasing down any survivors from the main battle which the walker's don't want to escape. A handful of Grand Cruisers loaded up with the most arcane weapons and tech they Dreamwalkers can get their hands on, as well as vox/astropathic jammers where necessary. Then a core of heavy and battlecruisers there to do the actual killing."

A post transferred from Discord so I don't forget it again.

Also:

As the civil war that raged between Secessionists and Regentists dragged on, the Dreamwalkers began to engage in a series of mass recruitments to dredge up scores of Auxilia to in order to participate in Kozja’s mass offensives designed to grind down the Seperatist Bastion worlds. On dozens of feral and feudal worlds armies prostrated themselves as their Gods walked among them, calling upon them to travel to the stars in holy war. Even some established Imperial Army regiments had hidden religions entwined within their ranks that the Dreamwalkers manipulated to draw them to their cause.

From frenzied rabble to hardened priest-warrior fanatics, tens of millions flocked to the Regentist banner. Combined with those called upon by the nascent Imperial Faith established by the Cardinal Guard, this would be the groundswell of support that enabled the mid-war offensives. Ultimately the majority of this host would be ground to dust in bloody and fruitless battles of devastation and attrition. Those that survived would emerge transformed, rising from a melting pot of superstitions thrown together then culled and trialled by the brutality of nigh-endless sieges. These veteran cores were no less fanatic for their experiences, and would become a relied upon component of Dreamwalker operations in the later stages of the war once their old bonds had been exhausted. Though the Legion held itself on the brink of damnation for a little while at least, their transformations revealed themselves first among these auxiliary groups, new and bizarre traditions emerging spontaneously across dozens of war zones. Soon in their barracks self proclaimed prophets and heralds spewed dread premonitions from their mouths that would soon bear fruit in the most terrible of fashions. All the while the Dreamwalkers remained ignorant of these symptoms of their own disease, ever dismissive of the superstitions of their lesser servants.

In hindsight it is fortunate that the Dreamwalkers would exhaust so much of their influence at this stage, bleeding dry reservoirs of corruption that might otherwise have poisoned the Imperium even after the wars’ end.

There are also early history and a couple of history sections in currently in draft stage.

• Nomus Sardauk and bluntblade like this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Ves'hiko Dhurranesh, the Patchwork Man - Grave Stalkers campaign

Although the Banshee Recon squads of the XVIIth were well tested, on XXX they found themselves both outmatched and outnumbered by their counterparts among the Grave Stalkers. As their numbers dwindled in clash after clash, Dhurranesh emerged as a figure with an uncanny talent for survival. Dragging himself away half torn to pieces from ambushes gone wrong a dozen times, the damage to his armour and flesh made him look more like a battered homonculus than one of the Emperor's creations. Unofficially barred from appearing before the people who the Dreamwalkers sought to mobilise over the course of the campaign, Ves'hiko nontheless found himself a figure of whispered myth as a result of his exploits.

Samnos Iytellon, Primasantas of the Glory Unrevealed - Samnos was originally part of a Dreamwalkers detachment assigned to the raising and leadership of one of the Dreamalker auxillary contingents levied during the build up to the Bastion campaigns, the apocalyptic conflicts at the mid-point of the war. What followed was brutal both for the primitives he and his brothers shepherded into the fire and for the Astartes themselves, with only Samnos emerging battered and half delirious from the siege of Nosden, tailed by scores of bedraggled survivors worshipping the earth his feet trod upon. Instead of dismissing their attentions once he no longer had a use for them, Samnos declared himself Primasanta of their 'sacred and favoured order', and went on to lead one of the largest of such cults. Without the insulation of contempt so many of the Dreamwalkers were afforded, Samnos immersed himself in the blessings of his subjects constantly, eventually becoming something both more and less than what he was before.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Two things today.

Firstly, this except, inspired by recently watching Inception.

---

Both the XVIIth’s psykers and its so called Hypsoian Order represent largely unique structures amongst the Legiones Astartes, and it is where these two groups overlap that the title of Dreamwalkers truly comes to the fore.

As has been touched upon elsewhere, the status of a psyker among the Dreamwalkers is largely dependant on their ability to control their powers as opposed to their raw strength. However the Legion had often found special use for telepaths, favouring them and thus burdening them with more onerous duties than others. Many, officially or otherwise find themselves associated with the Kaeidaein order and are assigned to Haruspex Reconnaissance squads. Here, in the vanguard of Dreamwalker Compliance Actions, they are tasked with subtly reaching into a targets mind. Whose mind it is is essentially important, as long as they have a detailed understanding of the local culture and superstitions. If possible the psyker may plant suggestions within the target’s subconscious.

Visions, portents, omens, whispering thoughts at the back of their minds. More important is the information gleaned, for it is around this and detail acquired by more mundane means that the compliance operation will be designed around. This was a technique in evidence even before Kuranos took Stewardship of his Legion, the Dreamwalkers own hallucinations giving them ample expertise to navigate the dreams of others, and sometimes lead to tensions with the Devourers of Irithion, whose own macabre methods of information gathering were seen as crude and morbid by the XVIIth.

The most hardened of these telepaths, only a handful, may find themselves inducted into the Hypsoian Order directly. Their task is to delve into the minds of those Dreamwalkers afflicted by hallucinations, aiding in the prognosis and even doing their best to salve the sufferer’s nightmares. If their standard recon operations are ghostly, subtle affairs, whispering into a mortals subconscious, then delving into the thoughts of an afflicted Dreamwalker is more like being battered by a vicious storm, half remembered monsters hurling themselves at you in an attempt to destroy you as you attempt to catch glimpses of a lighthouses between the looming waves. The most skilled of all are capable of constructing a dream within a dream, providing themselves with a staging point over which they can have some control and where they can interrogate those fragments of the subjects mind that still holds to reason.

By the time of the Dreamwalkers fall, almost none of these talented individuals were left. Stretched thin and over-taxed by their attempts to salve the rising insanity within the Legion, they had long since gone mad themselves or faded into history.

---

Secondly, I'm pasting this suggestion here (Nomus') from Discord so I remember it.

"But now I just have this mental image that wherever Kuranos is summoned post-Heresy, Oueous appears in the night sky beforehand, a mere distant pinprick of light at first, but steadily growing larger and closer as the summoning nears completion and the Dreamlands spill forth into the mortal realm.
Finally, as the ritual completes and the Great Dreamer awakens from his slumber, the Hell-Moon Oueous will be omnipresent in the sky, looming inescapably over the tainted world, a great lidless, unblinking eye amidst the storm of rapturous insanity below."

• bluntblade likes this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Even in their early years the Dreamwalkers were a Legion of sceptics, accustomed to witnessing bizarrities in the knowledge that they were nothing more than illusions conjured up by their subconsciousness. Despite this the insular nature of the Lodges and their reliance upon shared rituals to ground their members in reality upon extended operations gave rise to a number of deviant beliefes. One of the most notable of these was the Tulzan sect, predominant across at least three lodges, that orientatted their rituals around a number of 'blazing beacons' that drew their minds back to congnisicence. It was the Emperor Himslef and the Astronomicon which they reagrded as their beacons, and despite achieving a far lower rate of mental breakdown than other lodges, their practices found little ground with their Primarch. In a series of punishing True Face camapigns fought alongside Hasthtir himself, each lodge was brutally mauled in combat and then disbanded. They followed him to their deaths willingly, for their Primarch was himself seen as such a beacon, and from a handful of the survivors of these lodges were the first of the Sleepless Guard formed.

Another noticable deviation, one that initially fared better than their counterparts, was those present within what was officially recorded as the 72nd company, effectively stranded for three years in the Twighlight Marches. Here they found dozens of enemies and anomlies whose strangness in reality matched anything conjuned from their imaginings, and later cautioned as much to other lodges. The Lodge of the Twighlight Marches would find themselves essentially on permanent station there, for though Kuranos wished them isolated from the Legion at large he also acknowledged the anomalous phenomena within the region, giving the Lodge permission to keep watch there while also dispatching 200 members of the Hypsoian Order to undertake a more detached analysis. Their isolation would shield them from the earliest spasms from civil war, but when Hasthtir came to the region seeking answers about the malady affecting his Legion he sought to eliminate a potential vecctor of contamination, forcing the Lodge's survivors to flee to hidden fastnesses they had uncovered over the centuries.

The beliefs of the Eyeless Passage were extinct long before Kuranos' discovery, for they believed that within their hallucinations they could discern the passages of time that would lead to victory. Shunned by other lodges and even drawing notice from outside the Legion, they achieved a great victory against the Shel'zarr Aeldari before being all but wiped out during the disasterous Lambda-Phi 76 campaign and having their remainder excecuted by an especially assembled Opsequiari conclave.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Once again re-recording from Discord:

Date XXX: A garbled astropathic distress transmission is felt across Segmentum XXX. Those that can decipher something of its nature without going insane identify the originator as the Eternal Lie, with command crew stating that the planet has been lost, and that they barely escaped the anomaly. It is clear from the transmission that a conflict is ongoing, and that the ship is somehow under attack from within. The final transmission consists of three words, "They have awoken."

Date XXX: A salvage crew out from XXX stumble across a colossal find, a vast warship adrift in the void. It appears to be inert, but upon boarding it an unearthly form of life pervades the corridors, and the boarding crews are slaughtered or worse. The salvage crew flees, and over the decades many similar encounters are recorded. Sometimes entire ships vanish, issuing only a single transmission- They have awoken.

Date XXX: The lost Gloriana The Eternal Lie is dragged forth from the warp in orbit of the planet XXX, before being sent plummeting to the surface. The devastation of the impact alone is immense, but worse is that whatever contingencies that kept The Eternal Lie's cargo contained are sundered. The grounded hull becomes the center of a warp incursion that bleeds out across the planet. Unknown to the Imperial survivors, a reality-exiled Dreamwalker is reaccepted into the Unending Dream alongside the survivng members of his warband.

---

Yup. There's something of a contrast between Kuranos stationing his most trusted and stable personal there and loading it up to the gunwales with contingencies, but also cramming it with the worst affected Dreamwalkers in the attempt to study and stabilise them. The crew manage to get it away from the Y'hetill warp anomaly before being overrun, leaving the occupants stranded on board and only waking when someone disturbs their sleep and gives them an opportunity to feast. Then actually releasing the ascended Dreamwalkers trapped within seemed something big enough to grant an exiled Dreamwalker clemency, provided he can find the ship, fight his way through it then successfully steer it to somewhere to crash it into. Thinking of that maybe being a Black Crusade era event, with the Chosen lending a helping hand provided it wrecks a planet of his choice.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

More discord archiving-

Outline of Kuranos' current interactions:
Kuranos vs Raktra- As illustated in a couple of short stories, Kuranos and Raktra have very different ideas of what constitutes weakness, that lead to a physical altercation when they first met. Culminates with Raktra 'killing' Kuranos at the siege.

Kuranos vs Azothastra- A more amiable rivalry, based on the different ways they approach their view of the universe and their views on superstition. Culminates in Kuranos blaming Azoth for the contamination of his Legion and the attack on Gwinkrong. A possible further scene on Terra where Kuranos tries to 'apologise' for the incident whilst showing Azoth what he has learned.

Kuranos vs Craw- Another one of the few Primarchs that Kuranos vies amiably, or at least more so than usual, both Kuranos and Azoth attempted to understand Craw and the method behind his inventive ability. Results in Kuranos being one of those being sent to bring Craw to account when he does not prevent a body of his Legion from joining the secessionsits.

Kuranos vs Haedran- Both go through attempts to spread faith, one cynically and one in earnest. Results in some Dreamwalker originating Emperor-worshippng cults later being absorbed into the Imperial faith. An ascended Kuranos attempts to attack Haedran's mind while he lies in coma as corrupted Dreamwalkers engage the Cradinal Guard. Results in Haedran waking up/

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,219 posts

Upon entering an armourium or forge of the Dreamwalkers it is not unusual to be confronted by a disquieting assembly of helms and ‘false faces’, each bearing a different and typically eerie visage modelled after some deific or otherwise mythical entity from some planet or other.

When the Dreamwalkers attempt to mimic such creatures, the helm is often the first and most important element that the Legion alters. Combined with a quick change to the paint scheme and the liberal use of hallucinogens, this often being enough to achieve the Astartes’ goals of intimidating or inciting reverence among the population.

The quality of these alterations varies widely. Some are the simple ‘false faces’ which are hastily made and simply slot over an existing helm. Others, required for more discerning eyes and more specialised purposes, are the result of weeks of work to produce a highly polished artifice. Regardless of the effort, all face the same fate once their purpose is fulfilled. They are universally discarded, left to lie in the Forges until members of the Kaedaien could come to catalogue them and the world against which they had been used. From there they will likely be scrapped once another use for their components is found, for Kuranos teaches his gene-kin that no attachment should be made to such symbols. Failure to do so lead to punishment, as was the case with Praetor Syk Khet of the Lodge of the Silent Cry, who was stripped of his rank by the Hypsoian Order after he gained a reputation for doting upon his ‘false faces’ as trophies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Broken Throne, Alternate Heresy, The Dreamwalkers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users