The color of void lightning/electrical discharge

A question for the community.

I am creating a piece of "terrain" where a singularity (black hole/void) is floating above some electrical discharge.  What color would you chose for the electrical discharge.  I have three choices:

Yellow - Typically indicates the presence of dust, helium gas causes a yellow color

Blue - Typically indicates the presence of hail. Argon and mercury produce a blue color.

Purple -The deexcitation of nitrogen and oxygen, the primary components of air, produces a blue or purple color. 

I am open to lore, rule-of-cool, and scientific examples.  Just wanted to see what everyone thought.

My thoughts..blue makes sense for my arctic themed battlefield and real life, but purple is so exotic looking and unnatural.  Yellow is my least favorite, but I am open to suggestions that might just change my mind.

Here is what it will each will look like...

voids

I greatly appreciate any inputs you make, as I am looking for multiple perspectives/angles on this.

V/r,

Dan

Are you painting or will whatever you use be the colour already?

[As a Necron player with a black and blue snow based army] I vote blue for the electrical discharge if it has to be one colour but if you go with two blue and purple. Larger arcs could be purple with smaller ones blue (or vice versa) if there's a size difference or you could have them dark purple closest to the orb transitioning to blue quickly for the arcs.

Do you have any drawings or WIP pics you could share of this piece?

Excellent ideas! I could absolutely mix and match the colors.  Blue and purple would be a great color combo.  They are resin kits, so i would just have to get both.  I was already contemplating it anyways.  Now I have an even better reason!

Here is a photo of how they "break down".  Each piece is interchangeable with another piece of a different color.

void 2

They are the Tamashii Nations thunder effects (BANDAI)

V/r,

Dan

The lightning is the base.  It measures 9" high and 6" in diameter.  The battle mat is arctic themed, so dark grey and white.  Any of the three colors should "pop" against that, with yellow being the least contrasting.

All three have frosted white accents so they will blend a little as well.

I am going to paint a ping pong ball with black 2.0 or 3.0 to really obtain that blackest black and have little to no light reflection.

There is a tiny post on the upper most lightning arc that the ping pong ball can attach too once I drill the appropriate hole.

It will literally be suspended in air by the electricity tendrils.

*edit for grammar

Edited by Overwhelming Odds

Well electrical discharge when a black hole is floating above it would be .... whatever the normal colour of electrical discharge is except that you wouldn't be able to see it at all thanks to the black hole. :D 

Though since that's not exactly practical I'd go with purple. It's kinda the darkest colour while still being a colour after all.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone who commented!  I have purchased both the blue and the purple lightning effects and as soon as I receive them (soon!) I will post the completed terrain. I will also be highlighting other ways I plan on using these, since they are so modular.  You can expect a really amazing article on what all I plan to use these for.

In case you were wondering about the cost, the were only $13 a piece.  I found them on eBay.  Considering their versatile nature (modular), this is a steal for a standalone piece of terrain, let alone as a enhancement effect for other terrain. 

V/r,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone who commented! I have purchased both the blue and the purple lightning effects and as soon as I receive them (soon!) I will post the completed terrain. I will also be highlighting other ways I plan on using these, since they are so modular. You can expect a really amazing article on what all I plan to use these for.

In case you were wondering about the cost, the were only $13 a piece. I found them on eBay. Considering their versatile nature (modular), this is a steal for a standalone piece of terrain, let alone as a enhancement effect for other terrain.

V/r,

Dan

This made me think of one of the monster summons from Final Fantasy 8. Diablos...a black hole grows then the demon emerges from it, charges up power that has some lightning effects and throws the black hole at your enemies.

Here is a clip of it

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the final outcome of this terrain project.  I think it looks incredible!

20200321 185624

20200321 182226

20200321 185607

20200321 185529

20200321 185522

20200322 145541

20200322 145139

20200322 145136

20200322 145545

Let me know what color/s you think look best!  There are 4 options: blue, purple, and 2 combinations of those colors.  Thanks for all the suggestions and comments so far. I will have to recreate that Final Fantasy summoning scene with a 40K demon now!

V/r,

Dan