Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blood Angels Errant Company - BatRep against Daemons

Blood Angels blog

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Blue DC looks great and so does the Ancient. Are those Scourge wings or something else?

Yeah, they’re Scourge wings on the Ancient. And the DC are more of a dark Gray, the lighting and photo settings makes them look more blue than they really are. I use Vallejo Black-Grey for my DC, chaplains, and weapons.
  • Burias-Drak'shal and Quixus like this

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
I finished up another three Sanguinary Guard today ... the last few will have to wait until I fire up the airbrush again so I can base coat them.

dV0qhwJ.jpg

Also finished up my Chaplain on Bike, love the model but for your own sake, paint him in sub assemblies - a bunch of the details on his torso were difficult to reach.

cKHIcc6.jpg
qM9cQ1Y.jpg

In other exciting news I am getting my COVID vaccine first dose next week, so I should be able to start playing games again! I’ll be sure to post any batreps here... I really love text battle reports and wish we had more of them!
  • Warhead01, Leonaides, Burias-Drak'shal and 3 others like this

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Finished up a squad of tactical terminators! I have twelve (with two more coming and another that I plan to buy), sticking to all the cool sculpts - Heroes 2 and Space Hulk. This squad is three Heroes and two Space Hulk terminators.

If I’m honest I don’t know if I’ll actually ever end up using these guys since we have a lot of better units, but I just really love terminators.

ns8jdfq.jpg

Individual shots:
Spoiler

• Brother Tyler, Warhead01, Burias-Drak'shal and 2 others like this

Burias-Drak'shal

Burias-Drak'shal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 691 posts
  • Faction: Wordbearer
chaplain and terminators look great!
gallery_43262_14432_13990.jpggallery_43262_14432_29483.jpg

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,563 posts

Very neat painting! thumbsup.gif

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"  ||   Other things&projects
gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_105306_14812_3271.pnggallery_105306_14812_1034.pnggallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_2682.gifsml_gallery_48988_11572_5890.pngsml_gallery_48988_16024_10350.pnggallery_48988_15094_3577.pnggallery_48988_15094_5099.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Finished up Primaris Techmarine! Really cool model and honestly not difficult to paint. I put a lot more effort than normal into highlighting the handle of the axe and I’m very pleased with the outcome.

DPGgmJU.jpg

More shots:

Spoiler

I’m also working on my 3-man plasmaceptor squad, really dislike painting Gravis armor lol
  • Warhead01 and Majkhel like this

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Had my first in-person game of 9th tonight! Brought a semi-competitive list against a good player.

My list:
Spoiler

His list:
Spoiler

We rolled for mission and got Battle Lines. My secondaries were Scramblers, Assassinate, and Relentless Assault. He took Assassinate, Engage, and the mission secondary Vital Ground. My opponent paid to put all three units of cultists into reserves.

I won the roll off and deployed first. My whirlwind was behind a ruin on my right, screened by one squad of Intercessors. To their right outside of the ruins was one squad of SG and my Ancient. In the middle were the terminators, chapter master, and Coteaz with the second squad of intercessors behind. My Incursors deployed behind an obscuring ruin near the middle of the board. My Death Company were deployed on the line just in front of the chapter master, ready to Forlorn Fury. The Librarian and second squad of SG were to the far left of my line behind a ruin.

My opponent deployed with all of the daemon engines around the characters. The terminator lord and obliterators were on his right behind a ruin. He screened each corner with a hidden chaos spawn against my redeploys. He won the roll off to go first.

Note: we made a mistake on the deployment zones and had them 12” instead of 16”. This turned out to make a pretty significant difference in the game but we didn’t realize until T3.

Turn 1
Spoiler

Turn 2
Spoiler

Turn 3
Spoiler

Turn 4
Spoiler

Turn 5
Spoiler

Final score was Alpha Legion 73 to Blood Angels 63. Poor deployment of my DC meant that they played no real role in the game and I failed to flip an objective in T1 that let him hang 15 primary on me. I did well on my secondaries but Relentless Assault was very difficult due to the AL strat to keep me outside of 12”. Overall I was happy with the game and had an absolute blast. I do think that if we had measured the DZ correctly that things would have been a little different because I could have gotten my terminators further up the board and out of LOS of the oblits, meaning that I would have had a full or nearly full squad to tear through his blob.

Lessons learned? I need some more shooting. I reworked the list to drop the DC and Inquisitor and swap some things around to bring a Redemptor and a squad of hellblasters. The DC were disappointing but that was mostly a result of my misplay. Still, they’re an easy cut. The terminators performed wonderfully but I should definitely deepstrike them next time. The whirlwind was not as clutch in this matchup but I can see it being a hero in others.

I know this was long-winded but I appreciate you reading and let me know if you have any feedback for me.
  • Karhedron, Majkhel and Rhavien like this

Rhavien

Rhavien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 188 posts
So without the deployment zone misunderstanding you could have been at least 4" closer at the start? Anyway it's a tight game and sounds like fun.

-edit

Reread your post and yeah, those couple inches can always be significant.

Edited by Rhavien, 15 April 2021 - 06:13 AM.

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,563 posts

Congratulations on the game! With Alpha Legion, I would really not rely on deepstriking at all. It's just so easy for them to screen you off. I think you chose good secondaries and your opponent went too heavy on supporting chars.
Great that you had some epic deeds from your rank-and-file!
And you army presents itself FLAWlessly on the table msn-wink.gif

EDIT: especially nice touch with the beakies on the Incursors wub.gif

Edited by Majkhel, 15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM.

gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_105306_14812_3271.pnggallery_105306_14812_1034.pnggallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_2682.gifsml_gallery_48988_11572_5890.pngsml_gallery_48988_16024_10350.pnggallery_48988_15094_3577.pnggallery_48988_15094_5099.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

So without the deployment zone misunderstanding you could have been at least 4" closer at the start? Anyway it's a tight game and sounds like fun.

-edit

Reread your post and yeah, those couple inches can always be significant.

Yep, we had 12” zones instead of 16”. If my terminators had started 4” further up they would obviously be further up but also would be in front of the difficult terrain of the woods, so I would have been able to get behind obscuring cover T1 and in position for a charge T2, and I wouldn’t have eaten 36 shots of buffed up oblits. Still, live and learn, it was an honest mistake and hurt my opponent as well since his daemon engines basically never made it to midboard and so he had a really difficult time scoring Engage.

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Congratulations on the game! With Alpha Legion, I would really not rely on deepstriking at all. It's just so easy for them to screen you off. I think you chose good secondaries and your opponent went too heavy on supporting chars.
Great that you had some epic deeds from your rank-and-file!
And you army presents itself FLAWlessly on the table msn-wink.gif

EDIT: especially nice touch with the beakies on the Incursors wub.gif

Thank you! I appreciate it, and so do my Sneaky Beakies!

Yeah I started everything on the board but I expected him to move some of his screening elements out to attack in T2, which would let me drop my DC in the back somewhere to score the secondary. He played very smart and very cagey with his DZ though.

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Had another couple of battles this week, one against Necrons and the other against fellow Blood Angels. I’ll write up my match against Necrons first.

Blood Angels v Necrons, 1500 points

My list
Spoiler

His list, custom dynasty for +3” range and army-wide 6++
Spoiler

Mission was Battle Lines. He won roll off and thus went first. My secondaries were Relentless Assault, Deploy Scramblers, and Thin Their Ranks. He chose Scramblers, Purge the Vermin, and Assassinate.

Deployment
Spoiler

Necrons T1
Spoiler

BA T1
Spoiler

Necron T2
Spoiler

Final score was 75 to me and 48 to him.

BA: 45 primary, 10 scramblers, 12 relentless assault, 8 thin
Necrons: 20 primary, 10 scramblers, 15 Purge, 3 assassinate

I thought this game went really well. I loved the firepower and durability of my Dreadnoughts, especially the Leviathan. Using the charges to keep him pinned all game was great, especially since he was forced to keep one squad of warriors back to hold his rear objective since he threw away his scarabs on T1. I was disappointed by the DC - without going first to throw them up using FF, they are too fragile and too easily screened to make back their points.

HukXLIx.jpg

Edited by DistractionTacMarine, 21 April 2021 - 02:46 AM.

• Majkhel likes this

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Had another game against WS last night. I didn’t take detailed notes since I don’t think anyone is actually reading these or cares, but it was a solid WS victory. The game hinged on me failing a rerollable 5” charge with 8 SG that would have left him with almost no melee strength and limited shooting, and me forgetting to resurrect a hellblaster that would have ensured a unit of attack bikes died instead of living on a single wound and immediately going up to two full strength models ... if I hadn’t made that mistake and if I hadn’t failed that charge, I probably win the game.

My list was:

Double patrol
- Chief librarian with Shield, Unleash Rage, Blood Boil, and Tome for Null Zone
- Primaris Captain with Quake Bolts
- Chief Priest
- Primaris master of the forge

- 5 Incursors
- 5 intercessors

- Leviathan with storm cannon, grav, and volkite
- 8 SG with 2 fists, 3 axes, 3 swords
- 8 SG with 3 fists, 2 axes, 3 swords
- 7 terminators with 5 hammers

- 5 assault hellblasters

I have to say, assault hellblasters have been absolute beasts in every game I’ve played with them. The AP-4 is incredible against MEQ and the rate of fire and medium strength is outstanding even against -1D targets. They pair really well with a Dreadnought, because of Wisdom of the Ancients and because it draws fire away from them.
  • Majkhel likes this

Leonaides

Leonaides

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,898 posts
I wouldn't say people aren't interested, just that I for one have no real tt experience to contribute with as I have managed 0 games in the last 9 months or so... its always good to hear what has been working tho and see models able to hit the boards
  • Karhedron and Majkhel like this

"most gamers (especially ones who frequent forums) are idiots of one form or another" Great Crusade 08

LPC 2009 LPC 2010  LPC 2011 LPC 2012 LPC 2013 ETL VII LPC 20 
gallery_19254_8784_1046.gifgallery_19254_8784_3201.gif gallery_19254_8784_3710.gifgallery_19254_8523_59626.jpggallery_48988_15465_15162.png

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,563 posts

... I have managed 0 games in the last 9 months or so... its always good to hear what has been working tho and see models able to hit the boards

Same here!

Nevertheless, an enjoyable read of the fight against the Necrons :)
Golden Levi looks awesome. Reminds me I have one in my PoS that I'm kinda afraid to touch...

Spoiler

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
I didn’t mean it in a bad way, the forum is just not super active so sometimes it’s like screaming into the void lol. I will continue to write up my battles when I am able to take notes, mostly because I really enjoy reading other people’s batreps so I want to contribute some of my own.

I have a battle coming up on Thursday, a 2k competitive match. Not sure what army I’ll be facing at this point. I know my opponent owns a mixed Chaos army (he has Nurgle daemons and a lot of CSM, maybe more that I don’t remember), a Craftworlds army, and a Raven guard successor army.

I’m bringing a variation of the list I brought against the White Scars. It looks roughly like this:

Battalion
HQ
- Primaris Captain, power sword / auto bolter, Quake Bolts
- Chief Priest w/ jump pack, Icon, Selfless Healer
- Chief Lib, warlord, jump pack, Psychic Mastery, Tome; Unleash Rage, Shield, Wings, Null Zone
TROOPS
- 5 assault intercessors
- 5 auto bolter intercessors, chainsword and grenade launcher
- 5 Incursors
ELITES
- 5 Bladeguard, volkite pistol
- 7 sanguinary guard with axes
- 4 SG with axes
- 4 SG with swords
- Redemptor with plasma, Gatling, storm bolters, rockets
- relic Contemptor with cyclone and double volkite
FAST ATTACK
- 3 plasmaceptors
HEAVY SUPPORT
- 5 assault hellblasters

Basic plan is to keep my firepower close together with the Bladeguard screening the front and pushing up the board. Intercessors and Incursors to screen back. Plasmaceptors will probably stay in reserve with one small SG squad. Second small SG squad will stay on the board as a troubleshooter. Big SG squad will be my heavy hitter with the librarian in tow.

Big deathstar units are really dangerous right now because of the lethality of the game; it’s really difficult to trade up before you die. That’s why I’m trying the smaller units, they are still incredibly dangerous in melee but they’re also a small points investment that won’t sink me if they die.

Rhavien

Rhavien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 188 posts
Do you run all those axes because of wysiswg or because you prepare for a lot of T5?
Well I like what I see, though I'm not sold on assault hellblasters, but I can see their appeal.

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Do you run all those axes because of wysiswg or because you prepare for a lot of T5?
Well I like what I see, though I'm not sold on assault hellblasters, but I can see their appeal.

Preparing for lots of T5. In my experience the extra point of AP rarely makes a difference due to invuls, but the extra point of strength can make a big difference versus Gravis or DG.

Assault hellblasters have been man of the match in every game I’ve run them, they do a ton of work. I am playing another game on Saturday against a guy bringing a block of 10, I expect to get wrecked by them lol

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,658 posts

Great to see your games, and good to see ass-blasters paying off for you. I really want a unit of them on the table. WS are a hard army, and I think better than BA in most ways apart from the special units we can take. 

In your necron match, thin their ranks is a trap, against most armies, necrons may be the exception due to the potential for unlimited kills. Having to kill 150 models is tough at any level. Linebreaker is also, annoyingly, easier than Relentless, unless you face a pure static gunline that won't move. Repair homer is also a favourite of mine, but you ideally need a dedicated sneaky unit to max it, like incursors to get into the opposing DZ turn 2, or scouts. 

Oath of Moment is a pretty strong one, and would have got you good points with your small units and them having characters and vehicles. 

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pnggallery_58096_13272_2704.jpg

Xenos XX\

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Played against Chaos Daemons last night, mixed Slaanesh and Nurgle. Pretty interesting game.

Mission: Priority Target

Blood Angels:
Spoiler

Chaos Daemons
Spoiler

I deployed against the line with most of my army as he had nothing in reserve and no shooting. I knew I couldn’t hide from the KOS if she wanted in my lines, so I parked my assault intercessors and a small SG unit on an objective to hopefully limit her damage. My dreadnoughts had LOS through terrain in the middle to the GUO, the chariot, and most of his blobs. My Bladeguard and characters stayed in the middle with supporting firepower behind, the librarian and large unit of SG were positioned to counter-punch. My incursors forward deployed on one of the middle objectives. I kept the inceptors in reserve.

He deployed conservatively with his Slaaneshi units but aggressively with Nurgle. Drones and GUO in the middle, plaguebearers and seekers towards the bottom, CE in support. The chariot and KOS on the top edge of the board, and Daemonettes screening his backfield.

He won the roll off and went first.

30DBHCf.jpg

Daemons T1
Spoiler

BA T1
Spoiler

Daemons T2
Spoiler

BA T2
Spoiler

Daemons T3
Spoiler

BA T3
Spoiler

We had to call the game there as my opponent had to leave. I was in a very strong position, but the game still could have gone either way with some luck on his part.

This was not an optimized Daemon list by any means. If he had another Keeper I would have struggled to kill it. He also made mistakes by pushing forward instead of camping three objectives and forcing me to waste my strength against his blobs. I was overall happy with how my list played, though.

The biggest takeaway is that I chose awful secondaries. Assassinate was a trap due to the toughness of his characters. Banners was even worse. I should have taken scramblers and Engage or Relentless Assault, either of which would have been better choices.

Final score at end of 3 was BA 39, daemons 32.
  • Majkhel and Rhavien like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels blog

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)