=][= Liberalia Martiale 2020: The Iron Gauntlet

Dosjetka

Brain drain all around, then, Focslain! I'm going to push for all five (I have an example to set after all :P ) but it's been tough to balance with IRL business.

The Gauntlet is a difficult challenge to embark upon, and I know that everyone has done their best thus far.

And with that....

=][= The Third Phase of the Iron Gauntlet is now closed! The fourth phase is now open. Challengers are now welcome to begin their next challenge.

Results of the Third phase will be posted in a week, or whenever I can find the time. =][=

Well, the twiddling hobby time certainly made the last challenge tight; I almost did not make it.  

I think I will attempt the battle report one next, as local conditions would allow me to arrange a game, so as long as COVID does not get in the way I should find the time.

I,Trokair, of the Order Minoris Fides ex Machina take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete the Challenge the Third and produce one battle report featuring the Order.

Here goes nothing.

Edit: 03.11.20 Well, I had a game set up and planed for the coming weekend, but now that is not going to happen with the renewed lockdown in my area. Will see what happens.

Edited by Trokair

• 1 month later...

Link to completed piece for the Story Challenge: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/367910-for-the-emperor/

Just the game to try and get in, I'm really not sure about this one but I guess I've got a few months to figure it out. Between 17th Dec- 17th Feb for the last Challenge wasn't it?

How is everyone else doing with their final few Challenges?

I honestly didn't think I'd get to take part in this event again this year, but luck might be on my side. :biggrin.:

Was there any limit regarding the size of the game played? (for example minimum 500 points or what-have-you)

Because if not I might be able to do a small-scale game on the 28th  (technically that's later today, but I've just got home from a night shift and am thinking of it as tomorrow for my sanity :tongue.:)

Which means I might get to finish the narrative I'd made up instead of just leaving me in space gossiping with some other White Hawks. :laugh.:

EDIT: I don't see anything about minimum points values anywhere in the thread, so I guess it's "game on" after all!

This ought to be interesting! :happy.:

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Oh wait, I never actually pledged to take part in the third challenge.

That's a pretty important point, all things considered!

...Oh well, at least it was fun.

Edited by Ace Debonair

I honestly didn't think I'd get to take part in this event again this year, but luck might be on my side. :biggrin.:

Was there any limit regarding the size of the game played? (for example minimum 500 points or what-have-you)

Because if not I might be able to do a small-scale game on the 28th (technically that's later today, but I've just got home from a night shift and am thinking of it as tomorrow for my sanity :tongue.:)

Which means I might get to finish the narrative I'd made up instead of just leaving me in space gossiping with some other White Hawks. :laugh.:

EDIT: I don't see anything about minimum points values anywhere in the thread, so I guess it's "game on" after all!

This ought to be interesting! :happy.:

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Oh wait, I never actually pledged to take part in the third challenge.

That's a pretty important point, all things considered!

...Oh well, at least it was fun.

I see intent to play a game for the challenge, Ace. I don’t know what you mean you didn’t vow, I’ve got it right here.... :P

Alrighty then. Just wait until I've got a day off (probably some time next week now :pinch:), and I'll have a go at a writeup. :thumbsup:

I warn everyone in advance, we forgot like half the rules (charging? what's that?) and had poor recollection of the rest, so it's a very atypical game even before you even get to tactical and strategic novices going "screw it, let's melee with our gunline armies". :laugh.:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, due to the Nurgle’s interference resulting in a local lockdown for most of the last two months my planed game had to be cancelled twice and I have therefore failed the challenge in the allotted time.

If the opportunity arises then I will play the game and produce the battle report, but I have no idea when it will be.

I will attempt the final challenge, and while I am not sure yet on what I am tempted to try and write a story based on the scenario of the game I had intended to play for the last challenge but could not. We will see.

I,Trokair, of the Order Minoris Fides ex Machina take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete the Final Challenge.

I also have not had much time to see how everybody else has been doing, so I will try and catch up in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.... that didn't go as planned.  I entirely missed the last two phases of the Iron Gauntlet.  I highly doubt I will end up getting them done for all my forces I committed but, I Brother Argent, vow to attempt Challenge the Third, Fourth and Fifth in the last phase of the Iron Gauntlet for as many of my forces as I can to gold level.  Or at the minimum one gold for each force. I also vow to start articles for all of the forces I originally promised plus one extra of the Almwat Dynasty of the Necrons.

I will also post vows in the relevant threads for these.  And obviously I will attempt to help my fellow Liberites.  Argent is back baby.  Or at least is going to try to be.

Brother Argent, you never fail to impress me with just how much you're willing to do. Three challenges in the space of two months, all to gold, for at least three (I think) forces?

I'd say you're a madman, but to quote the Cheshire Cat, "we're all mad here" :devil:

• 1 month later...

Well, due to the Nurgle’s interference resulting in a local lockdown for most of the last two months my planed game had to be cancelled twice and I have therefore failed the challenge in the allotted time.

If the opportunity arises then I will play the game and produce the battle report, but I have no idea when it will be.

I will attempt the final challenge, and while I am not sure yet on what I am tempted to try and write a story based on the scenario of the game I had intended to play for the last challenge but could not. We will see.

I,Trokair, of the Order Minoris Fides ex Machina take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete the Final Challenge.

I also have not had much time to see how everybody else has been doing, so I will try and catch up in the next few days.

So here is what I managed to cobble together for the final challenge. I am aware that the word count is too low to actually complete the challenge, but with a week to go this is what I have and padding it for the sake of a word limit would not do. If I can think of some further bit that is can add to improve it I will.

I am also acutely aware that I have not taken anywhere as much time as I had intend to look at other participants entries for the last few month. I have scanned a few but I doubt I actually commented anywhere, sorry.  

All in all I did enjoy the earlier parts of the event and I would have been more engaged with and better participated with the later half if life was not so blegh right now.

Just the game to try and get in, I'm really not sure about this one but I guess I've got a few months to figure it out. Between 17th Dec- 17th Feb for the last Challenge wasn't it?

Well, I had to play both sides of the game (I hope that still counts), and I know the IG kind of got put on hold, but I was determined to get my painted teams down on the tabletop for the last Challenge!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368953-125pts-kill-team-elites-battle-report/?p=5665301

• 2 weeks later...

So here is what I managed to cobble together for the final challenge. I am aware that the word count is too low to actually complete the challenge, but with a week to go this is what I have and padding it for the sake of a word limit would not do. If I can think of some further bit that is can add to improve it I will.

So I had an idea yesterday for another bit to add, so edited that into the story post today, hope it is in time for the deadline.  

=][=

Deadline is in 24 hours! (so about 11 PM EST) tomorrow on the 17th. 

Those of you who wish to may update your current challenge, and those who have declared but have not finished have that time to submit your entries.

=][=

• 1 month later...

A gong rung, once, and then twice, reverberating throughout the fortress. Its call was unmistakable, its timbre inexorable and commanding. The time had come. The Gauntlet had been completed. Though many had attempted it, only a scant few had fully succeeded. Psychic images, thoughts, feelings, all these things and more and yet none at all, flashed throughout the minds of every man, woman, and xeno in the fortress, conveying the weight of the Liber's works from the past year in a single, powerful burst.

See, it said. See the fruits of our labors.

It was irresistible.

It was time.

=][=

Fratres, Sorores, and Xenos, come and bear witness to the results of the Iron Gauntlet, borne in battle M3.020-M3.021!

The first challenge's results you know already, but they shall be recorded here again for your viewing pleasure.

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Gold:

• Ace Debonair
  • Brother Argent (x4!)
  • Brother Ezra
  • Commissar_roach
  • Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
  • Gederas
  • Grotsmasha
  • Harlan Skorus
  • Lexington
  • Llagos_Tyrant
  • Messor
  • TechCaptain
  • Toaae
  • UtariOnzo
  • Brother Cambrius
  • Shield-Captain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Silver

• Kelborn
  • Toaae
  • Trokair
  • Focslain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Bronze

• Dosjetka
  • Gederas
  • Lysimachus
  • Brother-Chaplain Kage

The Gauntlet always starts strong, and some of this energy and effort carries over to the Second Challenge, whose results I can share now with you. However, the field inevitably thins....

• Trokair
  • Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
  • Focslain
  • Brother Argent
  • TechCaptain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challenger to Silver:

• Valkia the Bloody

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Bronze:

• Grotsmasha
  • Messor
  • Lysimachus (twice!)
  • Brother Argent
  • Ace Denobair
  • UtariOnzo
  • Brother Cambrius
  • Lexington

The Third Challenge cut competitors down like so much wheat, though a portion of this can be attributed to the plague that prevented in-person gathering this year.

• Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
  • Ace Denobair

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challenger to SIlver:

• Lysimachus

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to report that no challenger settled for Bronze for this challenge.

The Fourth Challenge saw a few more challengers than the third,

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challenger to Gold:

• Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Silver:

• Trokair
  • Focslain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Bronze

• Lysimachus
  • Llagos_Tyrant

The Fifth Challenge was not the smallest pool of contenders, but it was close.

• Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
  • TechCaptain

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challengers to Silver

• Lysimachus

The Iron Gauntlet is pleased to name the following challenger to Bronze

• Trokair

=][=

Overall, only two Gauntleteers managed to complete all the challenges.

It is fitting that one of them be Lysimachus, the original wielder of the Gauntlet and Liber legend. He has completed it to the Bronze Standard, which itself is a feat. The other successful Gauntleteer is...

myself. [ insert Obama medaling Obama meme here :teehee: ]

I have a stubborn streak (but then what else can be expected from the Sons of Ferrus?), and was determined to get Gold again as a proof to myself as much as anybody else. I won't toot my own horn too much, but I will say Gold was a lot of work and leave it at that.

In any case, a very hearty congratulations to everyone who completed any aspect of the Iron Gauntlet, and especial congratulations who completed more than one. It's been a long and arduous year, and taking on this challenge only added to it. While I doubt we'll be running another Iron Gauntlet this year, know that the Gauntlet has seen your efforts and judged you worthy...and so it shall wait until its time has come again. Thank you to all who participated, and thank you to the Reclusiarch Dosjetka for starting this a year ago today.

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

I am bitterly disappointed with myself.  As the original bearer of the Iron Gauntlet I set myself a lofty goal but fell well short.  I wont make excuses here, it was down to mostly procrastination.   For example I even played a battle (albeit against myself) and took pics etc ready to post but never wrote the report itself.  Unfortunately I have set myself a standard of aiming high and missing by a heap.  I am not going to change the aiming high though.  I just need to tackle my procrastination daemons and get back into things.

I keep saying I will come back to the Liber but am finding it difficult to get the time.  Maybe I should focus on baby steps.

To all those whom participated in the Iron Gauntlet, congratulations.  To even try to create something to this extent is a huge win.  The original purpose of the Iron Gauntlet was to challenge but also drive people to create and express their own creative vision of the shared 40K universe and I am happy to see it in part still stick to that original goal.  And for those whom completed any or more then one challenges I am even more proud of you.  The Iron Gauntlet is not an easy challenge, nor was it ever supposed to be.

Next time, however, I will be there with you.  In the words of my Star Leopards, "Duty till death, Salvation through sacrifice." 

The toll of the gong rang through the Liber.
In Ace's workshop, his serfs stopped and listened to the dolorous tone in respectful silence. They maintained their stillness until even the echoes had faded beyond human perception.

"Master Ace is gonna be mad he missed this." Haystan muttered. "You know he always has that ritual he does."

"It's just a verse in Talhonic," Mischa shrugged. "He's probably reciting it even now, out in space. Wherever he is."

"The last bit was in High Gothic,"
Irian corrected her, brushing her hair out of her eyes clumsily with her bionic arm. "Easy to remember, too."

There was a long moment's silence that, Mischa felt, was too empty, as though the words of that ancient verse longed to be spoken. Mischa cleared her throat, drew herself to her full height, and intoned loudly;

"Glory to the Challengers! May your blades remain sharp, and your wits sharper!"

In the silence that followed, Mischa fancied she could hear the distant echo of saluting and cheering warriors ringing through the ages.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I am bitterly disappointed with myself.

You shouldn't be, brother. :ermm: I've said it before, and will do so again - the amount of work you put into challenges like this is both staggering and highly commendable.
I, for one am proud (and mildly envious) of what you've accomplished, not only in quality but in quantity, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Also let's be real, completing every challenge for one faction in the Iron Gauntlet is aiming high - that was always the entire point! :laugh.:

Between the plague of mind and body I wasn't able to complete the two challenges I had hoped to. 

Next time this rolls around I might do better. Congrats to those that completed their challenges.