Order of the Emperor's Grace

So i've recently taken the plunge and decided to get involved with the Sisters. 

All my other armies are Imperial factions, and given the lockdown situation here in the UK, I thought it was the perfect time to start a new army. I'm also going to try and convince my other half to have a game, and what better way then her having a far future version of herself on the tabletop.

I recently got the Codex and a Canoness, as my first/test model. Again, I let my girlfriend pick the paint scheme and we ended up with this...

Canoness (front)

Canoness (back)

So i've just placed my second order, got a box of sisters and repentia on the way. I've drawn up a few lists at points values, so I'm working towards my first 500 points now. 

After next pay day I plan to pick up another box of sisters and Celestine so i have a enough models for a battalion and expand from there. 

I've gone for a homebrew Order so I can run them as any Order in game. I'm also cooking up some fluff for them, just background, so I'll post that at a later date. 

Any advice for a new start is more than welcome of course.

Thanks

Wondering if your Imperial collection has any priests or Hereticus Inquisitors?

You get more mileage out of a priest, because they're actually on both the Sisters and the Astra Militarum list. If you had one in addition to what you've already planned, you could actually field a battalion and a Vanguard.

Battalion = Canoness + Missionary + three 5xBSS

Vanguad = Celestine + 5x Celestians + Repentia Superior + 9x Repentia

Technically you've got the Geminae too.

Wondering if your Imperial collection has any priests or Hereticus Inquisitors?

You get more mileage out of a priest, because they're actually on both the Sisters and the Astra Militarum list. If you had one in addition to what you've already planned, you could actually field a battalion and a Vanguard.

Battalion = Canoness + Missionary + three 5xBSS

Vanguad = Celestine + 5x Celestians + Repentia Superior + 9x Repentia

Technically you've got the Geminae too.

Currently, no. I’ve only got Eisenhorn from the Inquisition and some Scions that’s I run as inquisitiorial henchmen, but that’s it on the guard side of things. I do plan to get Greyfax or a generic inquisitor at some stage in the future.

I believe the Repentia Superior and the Geminae don’t take force org slots when Celestine and Repentia are In the list which I find a little frustrating, means we need units to fill out detachments.

The Canoness is well-painted.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, i've got the following items on order:

2x10 Battler Sisters

1x10 Repentia

Exorcist

Imagifier

I'm also looking to get a cheap rhino on ebay, and then spruce it up with some spare from the exorcist. I'm going to use the spares from the Canoness set to make another from one of the battle sisters, and that will give me my initial battalion and friends. 

Everything has been backed up due to the delay following lockdown here in the UK, but with GW starting to re-open, I should get my stuff through soon and get the ball rolling. 

Edited by NKirkham24

• 2 weeks later...

So i've had the first few parcels arrived, which included a box of Battle Sisters and a box of Repentia. I'm currently working my way through them, but this is where I am up to so far.

First Sisters Squad

Heavy Bolter  1

Repentia

I also ordered Celestine from GW when they re-opened, and I started on her last night. She is currently sub-assembled. I've done the base layer of gold on her, and then started on the wings. The aim is to tie her into the forces colour scheme while keeping her gold so she stands out as the saintly being she is...

Celestine Wings

As always feedback is welcome. Thanks

Your models are well-painted. How will you decorate their bases? Or will you leave them as is, and claim they represent the asphalt of paved roads or the concrete of sidewalks?

Thanks. 

Basing is one of the elements of the hobby i've never really done. I've got a few pieces of scenery in a similar grey colour, so they tie in with the board they'd typically be played on, but I probably should get some proper basing done. 

I really enjoy GW sculpted bases, like those that are part of the Space Marine Heroes set, but when it comes to buying stuff, I prioritise more models over expensive bases tbh.

What would you recommend to add to the bases? I'll certainly have a look in to the hobby area on here too, see what people have been using.

I had never been a big base guy myself honestly. Over the quarantine though I've been using the Agrellan earth to give that cracked earth, desert kind of feel to my girls, almost like a "return to Sanctuary 101" thing, just feels fitting. I havent done much more than that beyond some ruined columns and pillars from the kits themselves, however, I think small tufts of grass on any base does add a bit of depth, so maybe experiment with that a bit if you are looking for some basic things with a little flavor.

I had never been a big base guy myself honestly. Over the quarantine though I've been using the Agrellan earth to give that cracked earth, desert kind of feel to my girls, almost like a "return to Sanctuary 101" thing, just feels fitting. I havent done much more than that beyond some ruined columns and pillars from the kits themselves, however, I think small tufts of grass on any base does add a bit of depth, so maybe experiment with that a bit if you are looking for some basic things with a little flavor.

Yes, aside from the ready made bases, or when a character comes with a convenient stone to place their foot on (like the Canoness)

I do like the cracked earth look, i'll definitely look into getting some. Is it it's own colour, or can you paint over it?

I was also thinking of chopping up some terrain when I come to do Seraphim/Zephyrim, just for sturdiness more then anything. 

Yes, aside from the ready made bases, or when a character comes with a convenient stone to place their foot on (like the Canoness)

I do like the cracked earth look, i'll definitely look into getting some. Is it it's own colour, or can you paint over it?

I was also thinking of chopping up some terrain when I come to do Seraphim/Zephyrim, just for sturdiness more then anything. 

That's exactly how I did my jump units - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363389-the-order-of-the-iron-veil/?p=5516257 - much more resilient than the clear flying stands, and looks cooler too.

That's exactly how I did my jump units - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363389-the-order-of-the-iron-veil/?p=5516257 - much more resilient than the clear flying stands, and looks cooler too.

I was looking at these the other day, that's where the thought came from. Thank you

I'm also leaning towards Zephyrim, I'm sure i'll end up having units of both in the long run, but I really like the flaming pennant, it looks great!

Rules wise it's pretty cool too, giving a re-roll charge aura, along with them re-rolling to wound in combat, I really like them

Edited by NKirkham24

So Celestine is pretty much finished, I'll add some decals and script to the parchments holding her aloft, and tweak a few things maybe, but pretty happy with her. 

Celestine

Again, some small details need touching up, but pretty happy with the Imagifier & my first Exorcist. Loved the kit, so will definitely be getting another one or two!

Imagifier

Exorcist (left)

Exorcist (right)

Exorcist (back)

As always, any feedback is welcome. 

With these complete, and once my order arrive and the various grey plastic kits are assembled, i'll have the following for my army:

Celestine + Geminae Superior. 
Canoness

20x Battle Sisters with various weapons (mainly storm bolters and bolter, couple of flamers and heavy flamer/bolter)
9x Repentia + Superior

5x Zephyrim 

Exorcist
Rhino

This comes in just shy of 1k, but is only the start of the force, so what would you guys recommend adding next?
Edited by NKirkham24

Excellent work on the Exorcist. The Imagifier is competently done; how will you decorate her base?

Thanks. We talked a little about basing above, I’m gonna get some of th texture paint for the cracked earth look. Potentially get some plasticard and cuts some tiles for the base too I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I’m due a delivery tomorrow, bringing an Immolator, a squad of Retributors and Junith Eruita. This is just to give me the option of playing her if I run Martyred Lady and is a cool model I fancy painting.

I’m torn between multi-meltas or heavy flamers on the retributors. I know they’ll need transport, I’ve got a rhino and an immolator, so I’m ok with this.

I’m edging towards multi-melta as they are the heavy weapon I don’t currently have. Does anyone know how many of each weapon you get per box?

Edited by NKirkham24

Quick update, I’m due a delivery tomorrow, bringing an Immolator, a squad of Retributors and Junith Eruita. This is just to give me the option of playing her if I run Martyred Lady and is a cool model I fancy painting.

I’m torn between multi-meltas or heavy flamers on the retributors. I know they’ll need transport, I’ve got a rhino and an immolator, so I’m ok with this.

I’m edging towards multi-melta as they are the heavy weapon I don’t currently have. Does anyone know how many of each weapon you get per box?

2 each, so if you want 4 Multimelta, you need a second box or to trade with someone. 

Cheers. I’ve got a heavy flamer and bolter from the battle sisters box so I’ll go one each of them and 2 multi meltas. Then I’ll have two of each have weapon for now. I’ll get a second box at some stage and I’m sure I’m due a third Battle Sisters box too.

Update from myself, Celestine's Geminae are done, and my first Immolator has arrived and been built. 

Celestine & Geminae Superior

Immolator (front)

Immolator (back)

Repentia Superior

I'm still working my way through the Repentia, I think I have 4 to go after doing the Superior. She needs a little more work doing but nearly there. 

I've got a box of Retirbutors and Zephyrim to build and paint, Junith Eruita on the floaty pulpit, as well as a rhino from the conquest mag that i'm gonna use for the Sisters. I am considering buying the Sororitas rhino so I have some bits to bling them both up, but that can wait in it's wrapper for now. 

I've also got the texture paint for the bases (you may be able to see it on Celelstine and the Geminae), I went over the currently completed models with it last night. I still wanna look at some more base work, maybe so it looks like broken stone flooring etc, but not just yet. 

I'm planning on another box of battle sisters and another Imagifier, along with the rhino as my next order, but the girls may take a backseat for a little while when the new edition arrives with all the new Space Marine goodness.... 

As always, feedback and comments are welcome. 

• 1 month later...

So, it's been a while. I have expanded my collection a little more since last posting, although plenty of it remains unpainted.

I have completed two Rhinos now, and the full squad of Repentia. The Zephyrim have also been completed and I have received an order of Seraphim and another box of Retributors today. I also have a full squad of Arco-flagelants based, as well as two Mortifiers. Once i've got some more paint on them, i'll get some pics shared. 

With Indomitus' arrival, the sisters will take a back seat, however, I did manage to get my first game of 9th in, which also happened to be the first game for this army. 

We played the 1st mission from the core rule book (retrieval I think, the book isn't at hand atm), against my friends Emperors Children. 

My list was as follows:

Canoness

Celelstine + Geminae

4 squads of sisters, one with combi-melta & 2 meltaguns, one flamer havey flamer and 2 with 2 storm bolters each. All squads of 5. 

9 Repentia & the Superior

10 Arco-flagelants

5 Zephyrim

Imagifier

Retirbutors - 2 melta, 1 heavy flamer, heavy bolter

Exorcist

2 Mortifiers

Immolator

2 Rhinos

I also took Draxus and Ephreal Stern & Kyganil as two slot-less additions. 

Emperors Children took (this is from memory I may have forgot something):

Daemon Prince with wings

Exalted Champion

3 units of CSM, 2 combat with chainblades, 1 with bolters.

Noise marines

Greater Possessed

10 Raptors

2 units of Havocs, one with missiles and lascannons, one with chain guns and autocannons.

Rhino

There was also a spearhead with a Master of Possession, unit of 3 Obliterators and 2 Venom crawlers

It was an absolutely brutal game which eventually came down to the final dice roll.

I took Assasinate, Attrition and Engage on All Fronts, he took Assassinate, Engage on all Fronts and Raise the Banners.

As it was my first game, I haven’t got pics or wrote a report, but some highlights were:

-Arco-flagelants tearing into his warlord Daemon prince, who managed to survive on just one wound.

-My final Retributor dying, getting to shoot back and then blowing up his nearby rhino with her dying breath.

-My sister Repentia hacking the squad of raptors apart, only to then be charged by two Venom crawlers and the Master of Possession. Over (I think four rounds of combat) they managed to take them all down, before finally succumbing to a squad of the Chainsword wielding CSM.

-Stern’s daemonifuge attacks just ripping mortal wounds off everything she looked at. I think she managed to do D6 wounds every time the ability was used.

-A squad of 5 sisters, taking a charge from a Greater Possessed, holding him up for a turn while keeping the objective (obsec) and eventually killing him. Yes he wiffed, but it was still pretty impressive.

-My Canoness ending the daemon prince with literally the last action of the game, bagging me three more points for assassinate and tying the game at 67-67.

The game finished with me having just Kyganil and my Canoness left, while my opponent had a squad of CSM and the Autocannon Havocs left.

Given some of film-worthy moments in this game alone, I can really see the benefits of crusade.

I can just envisage the holy vigour of the Canoness having taken down a daemon prince, while the Sisters squad who killed the Greater Possessed, and the Retributor who took out the Rhino are definitely worth of elevation.

Edited by NKirkham24