Greetings all! 

I recently picked up the new starter set for AT and have managed to get stuck into them during lockdown. I settled on the Legio Nivalis - Ice Giants - what little is known about them is pretty cool (pun not intended), but I like that I have a lot of freedom in making them my own. 

49846628057_ea5c377652_c.jpg

The Legio so far - all are still WIP. I see them as arctic hunters, displaying kill trophies such as the tusks on the Reaver - who can say what giant beasts its Princeps slew to adorn the God Machine so? and banner markings. I've tried to keep them as monotone as possible so that the little details pop. 

49826997496_57cb22a49b_c.jpg

Speaking of details - I'm trying to push myself on this build. The aim for this one is to look like the gun is charging up for that kill shot. 

49827310717_32455db636_c.jpg

49827309707_5b317298db_c.jpg

I don't have a name for my Knight Household yet but I do have a colour scheme - I went for as opposite and complimentary as I could from the Titans, and kept the spot colour. 

I'm also working on a small commission for my local club - Legio Mortis and House Malinax;

49827001051_1371ca5470_c.jpg

That's all I have for now - thanks for looking! C&C welcome 

You know it's possible for Knights t9 be inducted into a Titan Legion? It's basically a recent addition GW introduced in the background, allowing you to paint your Knights like your Titans. Otherwise you could always go for a subservient Knight House, or perhaps that it isnt a Knight House at all, but all Freeblade Knights to adorn the reverse scheme of the Titan Legion they serve.

You know it's possible for Knights t9 be inducted into a Titan Legion? It's basically a recent addition GW introduced in the background, allowing you to paint your Knights like your Titans. Otherwise you could always go for a subservient Knight House, or perhaps that it isnt a Knight House at all, but all Freeblade Knights to adorn the reverse scheme of the Titan Legion they serve.

Is it? I must have missed that lore. Even so, I'm keeping the House separate as I like the contrast between the different engines and frankly, is a lot easier to paint. The first Reaver I painted, the white took around 5-6hrs to do with brush before oiling it all, and the Knights took about an hour each start to finish. Gotta find some way to speed up the process or I'll go insane! 

Oh I like the monochromatic emphasis here. The tattered shoulder fabrics are also tasty, giving them a nice and savage visage.

Thank you! Exactly what I was going for so I'm glad it translates. 

^This.

They look savage.

Which feels awesome when it's on a freaken Lord of War, amazing when on a whole Maniple.

Love the Cerastus scheme too, he looks as mean as hell.

Cheers! My friends keep questioning me on if they are in fact loyal or not, they can't seem to comprehend Imperial engines looking like this but it's what I was aiming for. 

I'm always puzzled when people start throwing the old heretic card around if you've got some spikes, darker colours or esoteric runes hanging about like no-one's heard of gothic decorations or baroque grotesgues being the coolest thing ever on a normal nobleman's person. Doubly so in a universe filled with twisted parodies of decency. Things looking brutal is for all of humanity.

Is it? I must have missed that lore. Even so, I'm keeping the House separate as I like the contrast between the different engines and frankly, is a lot easier to paint. The first Reaver I painted, the white took around 5-6hrs to do with brush before oiling it all, and the Knights took about an hour each start to finish. Gotta find some way to speed up the process or I'll go insane!

Keep the scheme as it is, but backgroundwise you could still have this Knight House linked very closely to the Titan Legion, which would explain the reversed schemes.

I thought the knight houses were never actually part of a titan legio, but sometimes vassals of one. But it doesn't seem a very common thing. There's supposed to be one for Fureans I believe.

The thing is, this lets you do what you want with your models, which is really the point. Nobody can say your knights shouldn't match your titans.

This is very nice work. Welcome to the board.

I don’t remember seeing that a knight house becomes part of a legio but are allied to support at least. Solaria had that thing where the men of the planet became knights and the women formed the titan legio but later on the legio became mixed at least.

These are wonderful, very cold, very metal. The energy effects work well as contrast, really nailed the look on the melta.

And yeah, vassal houses are a Thing. Not quite part of the legion but directly subservient and so closely integrated as to even bear the livery of their titan masters. I suspect their modern background was designed specifically to allow for titans and knights with the same colour schemes: http://titanownersclub.blogspot.com/2019/02/adeptus-titanicus-fielding-vassal.html

In this case though the contrast between the knights and the Nivalis titans looks great.

Exactly! But, when in doubt - stamping a Mortis warhound to death helps show your loyalty!

Are those Chain Rasp bits for the tattered banners?

Exactly! But, when in doubt - stamping a Mortis warhound to death helps show your loyalty!

Are those Chain Rasp bits for the tattered banners?

Yeah that's it. I picked up a bunch of Mortal Realms #1 for cheap in the shops before the lockdown and I've hacked it apart for the banners, chains and flames/smoke you can see on the models. 

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! 

No titan progress yet, but I'm excited about a delivery I got today... a battlefield in a box! 

49863674781_9f76e2baa5_c.jpg

49863982742_20e50e7422_c.jpg

I have plans to build terrain myself for an arctic world to tie in with the Legio background, but for now this will more than do! 6x4 in total size, I'm excited to have lockdown end so I can take it to my local club for my first games.

• 4 weeks later...

I printed and made some of those and eventually bought styrofoam bricks to turn them into real buildings.

That sounds like a really cool idea!

If you're looking for inspiration for your arctic terrain and beasts, look for "Gelida: The Frozen Expanse"!

I will do, thank you. I actually follow one of the guys who was building for that on IG already, I loved the inq28 minis he did but I never thought to look for the terrain. 

I haven't had much time to work on the Nivalis lately, but I have been working on a Mortis commission which I thought I'd show here. 

49956638776_f3299a91ca_c.jpg

49956923607_d09c3ca35c_c.jpg

Still WIP. The full commission is a Warlord, Reaver, two Warhounds and the Malinax Knights I already shared. 

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome

Nice!!!

Beautiful! I really love the contrast between the glowing eye lenses and shield generators and the rest of the Warlord :thumbsup:

Thank you both! I've made some more progress on the warlord, my customer isn't sure on what basing scheme he wants just yet though, but I'll be moving onto his twin warhounds with fully magnetized weapon options as well as my own final hound soon.