6Plus' WIP Log ++ Night Lords, Deathwatch, INQ28 ++

Haven't really done much on the hobby front the past few weeks due to being bogged down with uni work, but have managed to finish off a squad of renegade Guardsmen from the Blackstone Fortress set after having them on my desk for over a year. Will possibly use these as cultists in my Night Lords kill team for the time being until I get the Rogue Psykers and Beastmen painted up to make them a legal team in their own right.

I was also lucky on eBay and picked up some very cheap Forgeworld Aquilon Custodes that I'll be using to create some truescale NL termies. They're coming from Russia so it might be a while until they're done, so I'll have plenty of time to get the rest of the standard terror marines finished off.

med_gallery_169009_16328_332523.pngmed_gallery_169009_16328_49820.jpgmed_gallery_169009_16328_21131.jpgmed_gallery_169009_16328_38676.jpgmed_gallery_169009_16328_89606.jpg

med_gallery_169009_16328_46941.jpg

med_gallery_169009_16328_244546.png

I also picked up this navigator mini from eBay, but am unsure of its origins. The mini itself is resin and had Games Workshop printed on the slotta tab but I can't find any others like it online, so if anyone has any idea of where it originally came from I'd be most grateful.

The aquila at the top of the staff was missing a wing and needed replacing but it was easy enough to find a spare in my bits box. Relatively quick paintjob and I've got a cool looking objective marker for some Kill Team games.

gallery_169009_16328_326717.jpg

Next up is to finish my other two Night Lords over the weekend and get started on some terrain. As always, comments and criticism are more than welcome.

Cheers!

Edited by 6PlusPainting

Built myself a lightbox and got some photos of past projects. Here's Voren Anchylus, a Sons of Horus Astartes I built last year after reading The Solar War and being inspired to create a small vignette based around the Siege of Terra. He's based on the body of a Chaos Marine from the Shadowspear boxset, with the lower legs and knees of a Word Bearer's Ashen Circle marine from Forgeworld cut up and reposed, plus various MKIII and Sons of Horus bits, along with an Imperial Fist Forgeworld head. I initially planned to do a few more of these in the same style but the effort it took to rework the legs put me off, but if I can find a more streamlined method I'd like to go back to the project in the future.

med_gallery_169009_16328_530129.jpg

med_gallery_169009_16328_134741.jpg

med_gallery_169009_16328_7621.jpg

The traitor guard and the navigator look great. Love them with the khaki fatigues and green armor. I also want some of these guys myself seeing your work on them.

The Sons of Horus is awesome as well! Definitely worth all that work you out into him.

That mini has a really cool pose and paintjob :smile.:! Love the open hand, very striking!

Thanks! The hand is from the Dark Vengeance librarian

He is really well done, I love that the marine on the ground is an Imperial Fist and you used one of their heads for the main model. Just the right amount of heresy.

Thanks! Needed to rub it in a bit more

Amazing job on that SoH. The head choice works so well.

Thanks very much, wanted to give him the look of a defiant last stand and thought the expression fit well

The traitor guard and the navigator look great. Love them with the khaki fatigues and green armor. I also want some of these guys myself seeing your work on them.

The Sons of Horus is awesome as well! Definitely worth all that work you out into him.

Cheers! They're lovely sculpts, I wanted to use the traditional Cadian colour scheme on them with just the rusted spikes and rags setting them apart from loyalist guard.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been quite busy with uni work the past few weeks so haven't had too much time to work on my minis. Saying that, I finished off my apothecary/techmarine character for the Night Lords Kill Team - Puram, the Fleshsmith. My idea for this character was an Astartes who had, over a long period of time, collected pieces of equipment from fallen enemies and allies alike, and constructed his own unique suit of power armour. He has aspects of both an apothecary and a techmarine, and my thinking is he uses the scavenged equipment to facilitate new ways of torment, practising on mortal slaves and captured enemies, rather than being truly concerned with the preservation of gene seed or machines. His time dabbling in fleshcraft means he is the most "qualified" of his Claw to perform the most basic of battlefield surgery, more often than not an amputation or the clamping shut of a particularly violent wound.

Puram is based on Tartaros legs with a Primaris torso, along with various pieces from the MKIII and MKIV Space Marine kits, and some Mechanicus bits I got in a job lot order from eBay.

gallery_169009_16328_87138.png

I wanted Puram to differ from the other Night Lords I've got planned for the Kill Team, who'll be adorned with various grisly trophies, and to instead give him a cold, surgical feel. Due to the nature of the bits used there was little opportunity to add the warm brass colour that is much more prominent in conversions using the Cataphractii kit. Instead, I leant towards silver to portray Puram as an icy, unforgiving individual. Originally his clawed, scalpel hand was holding a skull, but I decided to remove this and replace it with some gore slick, made from human hair coated in layers of Citadel's Blood for the Blood God.

med_gallery_169009_16328_98823.png

Next up is a Terminator I have been converting from a set of Aquilon Custodes, the torso and legs are complete, I'm just struggling to find suitable arms. I got the Aquilon pieces second hand and unfortunately the arms weren't included; I tried out some Chaos Terminator pieces but found the aesthetic clashed with the rest of the mini, as did those from the Grey Knights Terminator kit. I've ordered some Allarus Custodes Terminator arms which should be here this week, and hopefully with some minor work they will fit much better. On top of this I'm also waiting for some custom shoulder pads from Master Crafted Miniatures to better fit this larger scale.

As always comments and criticism are more than welcome!

Great back story to an excellently converted and painted model; really fits with the Nightlords’ current disposition in the 40k universe!

Thanks very much! 

I've been using the characters from Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords trilogy as a sort of archetypal template for each member of my Kill Team, and then tried to put my own spin on them, taking them away from the original concept as much as possible. 

Excellent work on Puram's model. I'm surprised an Apothecary would try to qualify as a Techmarine (outside of the Iron Hands), as both fields require extensive and time-consuming training, potentially deteriorating his expertise in one or both fields of study; but as you stated he's also a torturer, I guess he felt the additional study time was well-spent.

Does he remove his victims' brains for transplantation into mechanical spiders who can then assist him in his duties, the victims unable to think of anything except 1) Obey Master Puram, 2) Protect Master Puram by serving as his bullet sponges, if necessary, 3) Suffer to Master Puram's amusement? (The mechanical spiders idea came from Bonesaw, a character in the webnovel Worm.)

This guy is great! Love the hand and I think removing the skull was the right choice.

Thanks! Yeah I think the skull was a bit too obvious a choice in the end

Excellent work on Puram's model. I'm surprised an Apothecary would try to qualify as a Techmarine (outside of the Iron Hands), as both fields require extensive and time-consuming training, potentially deteriorating his expertise in one or both fields of study; but as you stated he's also a torturer, I guess he felt the additional study time was well-spent.

Does he remove his victims' brains for transplantation into mechanical spiders who can then assist him in his duties, the victims unable to think of anything except 1) Obey Master Puram, 2) Protect Master Puram by serving as his bullet sponges, if necessary, 3) Suffer to Master Puram's amusement? (The mechanical spiders idea came from Bonesaw, a character in the webnovel Worm.)

Thanks a lot. Yeah I think I need to revise my lore on him a bit. The idea is he's salvaged equipment from both techmarines and apothecaries over the years and uses them primarily to inflict pain and torment on his victim, rather than professing to be either one. If, however, an ally is wounded in battle he at least has the equipment to help out to some degree, and a modicum of anatomical knowledge gained through his morbid experiments, but not to the extent that an actual apothecary would be able to do. Techmarine wise he isn't interested in the maintenance of machines and would much rather use his servo-clamp to grab hold of squirming victims.

I did order some Mechanicus Ruststalker bits with the idea of making some mindless servants for him but haven't yet managed to come up with any unique look - I want them to look creepy, as an extension of Puram himself. 

Edited by 6PlusPainting

Thanks a lot. Yeah I think I need to revise my lore on him a bit. The idea is he's salvaged equipment from both techmarines and apothecaries over the years and uses them primarily to inflict pain and torment on his victim, rather than professing to be either one. If, however, an ally is wounded in battle he at least has the equipment to help out to some degree, and a modicum of anatomical knowledge gained through his morbid experiments, but not to the extent that an actual apothecary would be able to do. Techmarine wise he isn't interested in the maintenance of machines and would much rather use his servo-clamp to grab hold of squirming victims.

Fair enough.

I did order some Mechanicus Ruststalker bits with the idea of making some mindless servants for him but haven't yet managed to come up with any unique look - I want them to look creepy, as an extension of Puram himself.

You did say he engages in salvaging, so you have an excuse for leaving the Ruststalkers as-is. Hell, if Puram wants his slaves to infiltrate an enemy position or launch a false flag operation, leaving them as-is will be best.

If you want Puram's slaves to look like extensions of him, may I suggest draping them in skin, i.e., combine the Ruststalker parts with those from Necron Flayed Ones?

Fair enough.

You did say he engages in salvaging, so you have an excuse for leaving the Ruststalkers as-is. Hell, if Puram wants his slaves to infiltrate an enemy position or launch a false flag operation, leaving them as-is will be best.

If you want Puram's slaves to look like extensions of him, may I suggest draping them in skin, i.e., combine the Ruststalker parts with those from Necron Flayed Ones?

That's a great idea actually, I'll have to get working on my green-stuff skills and have them cloaked in flaps of skin! As for the false flag approach, I can definitely see that as something the Night Lords would be more than willing to be involved in. Thanks again for the feedback

I finally received my Master Crafted Miniatures shoulder pads in the post this morning and couldn't resist a quick mock up of my Atramentar conversion, albeit with placeholder arms for the time being. I ordered some Iron Hands Gorgon terminator arms for quite cheap on eBay yesterday and am hoping they'll be a perfect match. At the moment I have a plastic Tartaros arm and a Chaos terminator powerfist - my plan is to have him armed with a chain axe and a multimelta mounted on a powerfist, so for Kill Team I can switch his loadout between axe and fist depending on the game.

I used Apologist's excellent guide on how to convert the Aquilon kit into a larger scaled terminator kit, which you can find here https://apologentsia.blogspot.com/2018/06/inload-tutorial-building-truescale.html and tried to give it a more Chaosified look

Excuse the poor photo quality as I used my mobile to take it.

gallery_169009_16328_410982.jpg

I'm chuffed with how well the MCM shoulder pads fit both aesthetically and scale wise - I'd attempted to use Chaos terminator pads but they were just a bit too small. Using the Aquilon kit as a base, which is quite plain and sleek after removing the Imperial iconography, means the stylised trim on the arms from the Chaos terminator kit didn't fit very well visually either, so I've been shopping around for alternative the last few weeks. Grey Knights and Allarus terminator arms unfortunately didn't sit right for me, and the few Tartaros arms I have spare fit well aesthetically, but their posing (apart from the straight right arm pictured above) had them bent tightly at the elbow and made my terminator look like a T-Rex. Hopefully the Gorgon arms will fit much better and I can give this guy a permanent pose. Once that's done I'll add a few more grisly trophies and get to painting him.

As always any comments and criticism are more than welcome!

Edited by 6PlusPainting

Puram came out great! And the new terminator is looking great. Apologist struck gold with that conversion and you’ve put it to awesome use on the Night Lords.

Thanks! Yes his guide is brilliant, I would never have been confident enough to just start cutting into a resin kit without it.

The Terminator looks promisingly intimidating. I hope to see the completed model soon.

Cheers! Posted some pics below, just need to get painting!

Terminator is looking great, can't wait to see where you go with it!

Thanks a lot!

I'm a big fan of the Mastercrafted pauldrons, they're just the right size for terminators. Great conversion!

Yes they were definitely worth the wait to receive them, every other pauldron I tried just didn't sit right.

A quick update on the terminator; managed to finish building him last night and he now awaits painting.

med_gallery_169009_16328_1019829.jpg med_gallery_169009_16328_116764.jpg

med_gallery_169009_16328_1019650.jpg med_gallery_169009_16328_1586042.jpg

I spent a good while trying to settle on which arms to use and what pose to go for. Initially I'd planned on using a chainaxe I'd converted along with a multi-melta mounted on a powerfist, but in practice it just didn't look right. I ended up using a Gorgon terminator arm for his left arm, with the multi-melta taken from the Ultramarines character from Betrayal at Calth. His right arm is a Grey Knight terminator arm combined with a lightning claw from the Burning of Prospero set. Some minor sculpting work was needed, mainly to raise his torso a little bit as I thought the initial fit made him look a little out of proportion.

I'm quite happy with the menacing pose he's ended up with - not perfect but for a first attempt I think it's turned out okay. There's a side by side comparison pic with a standard marine showing just how big he really is.

As always,any comments and criticism are more than welcome!

No joke about his guide. I would never have thought to use those custodes let alone figure out what and where to cut to strip it down.

As for the terminator I like the choice of bits you have used there. The beckoning claws just make me think of the boogeyman trying to lure you under the bed.

Edited by hushrong

• 5 months later...

No joke about his guide. I would never have thought to use those custodes let alone figure out what and where to cut to strip it down.

As for the terminator I like the choice of bits you have used there. The beckoning claws just make me think of the boogeyman trying to lure you under the bed.

Thanks, I wanted to portray him as quite a sinister figure and think the claw helped do just that

Is the Terminator's gesturing, "Come forth and die!" or "Bring it, [female dog]!" with his lightning claw? Or will you put a disembodied head or a heart in it?

In my mind's eye he's taunting some mortals before getting stuck right in

It's been a long while since I posted on here. Real life got in the way of my Night Lords project, but I've managed to get the Terminator (who I've named Velurak) finished up and painted. I'm glad to have gotten him out of the way as he'd sat on my shelf half painted for too long. I'd just painted up a 1/72 scale WW2 Churchill tank, so I applied some of the painting techniques I'd tried out on that here, namely dirt streaks using some thinned brown Contrast paints and sponged on grime. I'm happy with how he's turned out and will go back and apply some of this weathering to the other Night Lords I've already painted.

med_gallery_169009_16328_272373.pngmed_gallery_169009_16328_380890.png

med_gallery_169009_16328_527569.pngmed_gallery_169009_16328_191026.png

I've also finished up Carnas, another Terror Marine, and will upload his photos either later this eve or tomorrow. After that, I have a final piece planned for my Night Lords that's currently in the planning/blue tac stage. I should have a fully legal Kill Team then at 99 points exactly!

As always, any comments or criticism are more than welcome!

Cheers,

6plus

Edited by 6PlusPainting