Thousand Sons: 9th Edition Faction Focus Discussion

Prot

if you get tabled in 9th do you automatically lose the mission?

Your opponent continues the game, so can get additional primary and secondary points, I hated it in the ITC, and I hate it now as to me it does nothing but rub salt in the wound of loosing.

It's never loosing per say that has annoyed me at events, it's when it has felt I had no chance and was just a points farm for my opponent that was the issue.

In Underworlds terms, this is the difficulty between Scoring Glory based on using an activation to score glory and between scoring glory based on using an activation to do something else, anyway.

So with Wardbands like the Ghouls and Skeletons and the Ghosts - you're looking at board control, sitting on objectives and things.

You can get to objectives to charges, as well as by taking specific actions, but it's rarely hinging on the roll of the dice. Scoring Objectives directly (in an Objective Secured style) is actually pretty simple, and pretty reliable.

Using the Eyes of the Nine, on the otherhand, and trying to score magical objectives is a tough game. Casting spells needs rolls, often highly specific ones, and usually need you to be sacrificing doing something else, or taking up space in your decks of cards that could be spent on other things.

And I think that's where Prot's issue is, right?

The psychic actions might be easier to score with the Thousand Sons, than with other armies, but when you're playing Thousand Sons, the psychic-action-objectives might be much more of a foolish temptation: why bother risking interruption, low-rolled psychic tests and whatnot to score VPs, when you could just teleport to a table quarter and gain the benefit of now having your opponent have dedicate serious efforts to reacting to stop you?

It might not pan out in the same way (Eyes of the Nine utter rubbish, yet magic Stormcast ace because they've got cards specific to them that tip the balance), but it's that sort of concern: that magic might be technically within the Thousand Sons' wheelhouse, but practically you're a fool to restrict yourself when you can go for easier (more achievable) objectives.

With any luck, GW might judiciously tweak the thresholds and conditions as time marches on.

if you get tabled in 9th do you automatically lose the mission?

Your opponent continues the game, so can get additional primary and secondary points, I hated it in the ITC, and I hate it now as to me it does nothing but rub salt in the wound of loosing.

It's never loosing per say that has annoyed me at events, it's when it has felt I had no chance and was just a points farm for my opponent that was the issue.

Don't get me wrong. I see what you're saying. 

But I would like to add I have just won a game of 9th ed while being almost tabled (I hid a squad of cultists til end game.... pretty much tabled otherwise).

I won this game against Tau. I kind of blame him. He was playing an 8th edition style of game and refused to really move. I racked up so many points across the game that by T5 it just wasn't relevant for the Tau to get table real estate.

I do think there is a difference this edition as far as that mechanic goes; you do get rewarded for sticking your neck out a bit more. Perhaps that can help you a bit.

I think the point of continuing the game after someone is tabled had to deal with points.

If a player had a total blow out of a game and crushed his opponent he could get very little points. When you had ties in games won then they looked towards overall points to win. In a Tournament or moving from one bracket to the next.

I think this will be a very fluid game with lots of movement. You cant castle and expect to win your games.

Redeploys, pre-game movement, and options like the dark matter crystal or redeploy mid game could be very good.

Edited by Raven1

You cant castle and expect to win your games.

In Underworlds you *can*, but it's not an idle strategy, you still have to make it happen.

Makes it more like an interactive siege near a knife-edge, less like a foregone conclusion.