Ashen Griffons, a homebrew chapter by BBJ

That is some incredible paintwork! The paintjobs on Indomitus Chaplain and Bladeguard Lieutenant are works of art. Also getting a bit of a Red Scorpions vibe from your colour scheme.

Fantastic job all around!

Not gonna lie, Red Scorpions were a big inspiration for the scheme, but I've done a Red Scorpions army before and painting the yellow pad rims and helmet stripes takes aaaaaaaages! So I figured why not just paint those parts all one colour and save a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Mind if I ask what grey and yellow you used?

Of course! The grey is as follows;

Black undercoat, Vallejo track primer, track primer and Vallejo German WW2 cam beige 50:50 zenithal highlight with the aorbrush. Then edge highlight with a mix of track primer and cam beige until the final highlight is just cam beige on the very sharpest edges. At the very end I gloss varnish and use gloss nuln oil to get all the recesses and panel lines.

Yellow is averland sunset as a basecoat, Vallejo moon yellow airbrushed onto the top 50%, seraphim sepia airbrushed onto the bottom 20-30%. Gloss varnish again and a panel line with agrax earthshade gloss and an edge highlight with averland sunset and white in a 50:50 mix.

Whole model gets a coat of Vallejo satin varnish at the end to dull down the shine from the gloss.

Beautiful work on the Ancient. Whose skeleton is displayed on his standard?

Haven't really thought about it...

But he's now honoured brother Ateles, his body was found in the ruins of vigilus surrounded by 22 dead Black Legion heretics. Posthumously decorated by Roboute Guilliman himself his bones were interred in the chapter mausoleum on Ostrides IV. With the mobilisation of the first, second and sixth fellowships to the Pariah Nexus, Honoured Brother Ateles' remains are borne into battle by Honoured Ancient Pavo of the first fellowship Bladeguard.

Edited by blackbabyjesus

Beautiful work on the Ancient. Whose skeleton is displayed on his standard?

Haven't really thought about it...

But he's now honoured brother Ateles, his body was found in the ruins of vigilus surrounded by 22 dead Black Legion heretics. Posthumously decorated by Roboute Guilliman himself his bones were interred in the chapter mausoleum on Ostrides IV. With the mobilisation of the first, second and sixth fellowships to the Pariah Nexus, Honoured Brother Ateles' remains are borne into battle by Honoured Ancient Pavo of the first fellowship Bladeguard.

This is a well-written backstory. Brother Ateles' spirit bear witness as his descendants wreak vengeance upon his murderers' descendants, and be happy.

A few days pass and I've painted a bit more, late stage WIP on these dudes, all they need now is a bit more micro sol on the decals, a coat of satin varnish and the bases doing. Another hour of work and they'll be finished!

gallery_43855_16535_586199.jpg

Finished the Bladeguard yesterday, didn't have black elite shoulder marking transfers so they're white with black skulls. As a result the colour of the right shoulder pad marking now denotes the company the marine is from, most of my army will be 5th company with black markings.

gallery_43855_16535_336807.jpeg

gallery_43855_16535_110513.jpeg

gallery_43855_16535_84635.jpeg

gallery_43855_16535_810805.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...