The Firehearts: Primaris-Only Clan Raukaan

Khornestar

Yeah, if there's one thing I've noticed with the Contrast paints, it's that they're all so different from each other. Black Templar seems to be one of the ones with far better coverage, whereas if you put Plaguebearer Flesh over another paint, it's barely noticeable other than giving a somewhat greasy sheen to the model. They're definitely not just inks/shades, as some like to claim.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments!

Decided to strip them all and start over. The metallic thing didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, and I want them to be blacker than they are dark metallic.

Going to experiment a bit before painting them back up.

Better to realise sooner rather than later - I've repainted enough models to know this :tongue.: Do you have any approximations for the colour you're after? Perhaps the Black Templar contrast paint may be of assistance?

The biggest issue for me is figuring out how to use highlights with the color-shifting paint. It seems like once the paint is on, painting on top of it is kind of a nightmare of sorts because any mistakes that mar the effect of the color-shifting paint can't be fixed. Spoiler alert: I make lots of mistakes constantly that need to be touched up. :P

The color-shifting paint has to be painted on top of a gloss coat to achieve the maximum effect, ideally with a black baseline beneath that. Painted on top of other paints, it has a drastically reduced color-shifting effect. At that point, I could just use green/violet sprayed in some fashion to achieve a similar look, i.e. there would be no point.

If I paint the entire basecoat to highlights before applying the gloss and color-shift, will that look weird? If I paint the highlights after applying the color-shift, I'm pretty sure that will definitely look weird. Or will it?

I have a bunch of random parts that I sprayed with black primer, I'm going to do some testing with those. The biggest issue is lack of time! Spending time with family is the priority, so I try staying up late/waking up early to work on other things, but a baby who doesn't sleep through the night or wakes up super early herself complicates that. Can't just leave the wife to do everything on her own while I'm home, so that's been the priority. I've been scrubbing a few models clean here and there, and sooner or later I'll have all my ETB intercessors and hellblasters from Dark Imperium ready to go. By then, I'll hopefully have worked on my test parts enough to have at least a general idea of how to proceed.

Black Templar contrast was a decent idea to subdue the metallic effect. If I wasn't using the color-shifting paint I think I'd stick with that sprayed over a metallic basecoat.

Edited by Juggernut

That is the problem with color shifting paint - they don’t lend themselves well to things like shading and highlights. They do look ok though .

I feel like there is a workflow-related solution to it, but I just haven't had a chance to do the testing to figure it out yet. The hope with the metallic zenithal style was to achieve it, but I somehow failed that experiment pretty miserably. :P

Yeah, I agree. I feel like I’m close to passing the point where the amount of work isn’t worth the result. I just wanna have a relatively easy-to-paint and good looking scheme and play some games! New codex is around the corner.

I can appreciate that level of detail. I’m sure I’d end up spending a couple of hours per mini regardless, as I batch paint everything.

I would reserve extra time/attention for characters/dreadnoughts or whatever details may call for it. I have a tendency to just not finish things if they can’t be perfect, so I really have to push myself to just be content. Obviously didn’t succeed with my prior efforts in this thread, but I feel like it was more a matter of not liking the outcome/scheme itself than fussing over lack of perfection.