warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Warhead01

Hello again.

Not sure where to start. I had no real plans to start a thread here but it seems like there is a little interest.
So here we are.

Over the summer I decided to repaint my Primaris collection for a few reasons, one being I needed units to fill in for other unit choices for my Imperial guard project. Meaning I didn't want to buy heavy support for my IG army yet and have SM units that easily fill those rolls so why not just add it to the soup.
My collection is fairly standard and fairly small. Most of the usual suspects noting super special and nothing in abundance.

I guess the question then is why pick Blood angels.
Well, the first two reasons that came to mind were, My IG is mostly Blue or Green so I needed another color that would pop next to those model and the other... I had heard that Blood Angels were "the worst chapter" to pick from a competitive stand point. Or at least that's what I recall hearing and I have no idea how current that was when I decided to paint Blood Angels.
I know that sounds like a negative and that's kinda the point. I have collected and played as optimal as I could for probably 20+ years and it's gotten old.
Wait...so have I..But how!

The games I enjoy the most are with friends and usually very ridicules. Those are the most memorable and just the best.
This leads me to playing armies that are now sub-optimal. I have more fun not just crushing my friends but making a good fight out of it.
That's right I'm a long time Ork player...
My new thinking on building and collecting is just that I get tired of painting a lot of the same thing so why keep doing that.
Fairly simple.

More things I have thought about how I would play Blood Angels over the years.
To my mind I thought I would build them as a standard SM tac army list with a few dirty tricks but focus on shooting not assault.

However, what had happened was... I made an army with a 24" first turn assault for our club latter board.
and that was the last time I played a Blood Angels army.
It did well as I remember but my hart wasn't really into it I was just another Warhammer junky looking for my next fix.

Any way there's the into post. This thread will mostly be populated with work in progress pictures and hopefully battle reports once I start playing again.
The club I "belong to" has a yearly tournament and I plan to take the Blood angels out to that next year as I don't expect we're having one this year and I am just coming off of an 18 month pause in actually playing games.

Here's some of the models I have painted so far.

med_gallery_3442_16212_37992.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_127641.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_348019.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_154839.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_181223.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_26176.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_34426.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_59167.jpg

I have a lot more units about this far along but haven't taken any pictures of them yet. I'll get to that when I can very soonish.
Thanks for dropping by.
The holy slaughter will continue. :teehee:

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Great job!
I'm sure you find Blood Angels a nice army to paint. Despite the main red-vibe, there is a lot of space for adding additional colours and even their own codex-scheme is pretty interesting on it's own with separate colours for main force, DC, SG, not to mention more regular Sanguinary Priesthood, Librarius and Chaplaincy. And the biggest choice of special characters of all Chapters/Legions.

Definitely throw in some battle reports when possible :)

Thank you for the kind words. 

Great job!
I'm sure you find Blood Angels a nice army to paint. Despite the main red-vibe, there is a lot of space for adding additional colours and even their own codex-scheme is pretty interesting on it's own with separate colours for main force, DC, SG, not to mention more regular Sanguinary Priesthood, Librarius and Chaplaincy. And the biggest choice of special characters of all Chapters/Legions.

Definitely throw in some battle reports when possible :smile.:

Not really sure where I'm going with the colors. Kinda 2nd edition Blood Angels with the almost orange but washed down a little darker. I was interested in the og flesh eaters briefly.  
Mostly because the red was almost brown and the vehicles were camouflaged back then and I thought it would be neat because we don't see that much these days. 
I am probably going to stick with the solid colors I have been doing so far.  
I have started the blue and yellow helmets. blue being way easier to paint then the yellow so far.  Not sure if the Bladeguard get gold or white helmets. Am thinking about white if I don't see any other guidance from GW.  I'm not really looking forward to painting black death company and have been thinking about an alternative set of colors something that stands out but still looks brutal. 
I'm really pleased with all the progress I have made on this project so far. 

More in the works.

With yellow you just need to be patient and first of all, before you start applying yellow make one thin coat of any type of white/0ff-white/grey color. You'll have much easier life. After that, several thin coats of chosen yellow will allow you to build a nice layer, which you can later shade/highlight to your heart's desire.

Bladeguard are veterans, so codex-wise they should have golden helmets. GW even showed those

106276643_2673179639669325_4866524596310

But then there is the question on that very picture ;) After all, these are your minis, and you should be the one liking them the most. 

Great to see all your models in the same place, keen to see more - what's next?

Next. 

two redemptor dreads, 6 Agressors, 6 Supressors, another 10 Intercessors, 10 Assault Intercessors, 5 Hellblasters with the heavy plasma and 5 with the assault plasma, nearly ready for pictures in a week maybe. Oh, and 6 eradicators and maybe something I am forgetting. 

I've been trying to speed things up by cracking out as much red armour as I can and then going back for the other detail colors. 

After that I have two repulsor transports, assault intercessor death company and some other models I till have to assemble, Reavers and the fancy guys with the Haywire mines. Hopefully I can clear out this backlog prior to the codex drop and new models I really want two squads of Heavy Intercessors.

I am putting a noticeable dent in the backlog! 

I've been thinking about adding battle damage and weathering and also thinking about transfers for the chapter and squad badges. I've never been very good with transfers.
I wish there was a shoulder pad shaped stencil, does such a thing exists?  

Looks like just over 20 more models need their eyes dotted, nearly there.
Managed to primer 5 more Reavers.

My brain is shifting to thoughts of table top terrain.  I need to see what I have still and what I have o use for terrain. I have a bin full of stuff for terrain and just found a terrain focused channel on youtube that's got me interested. I really need a nice set of terrain for home games.  If I remember I have a lot of things I can use for an industrial refinery setting. 

The slaughter continues. 

Update.
I've had a fair bit going on and only had the energy to start the repaint on one of my two Repulsor tanks. The red and washes are done now I have to go back in with the black and I think I neglecter the red on a few spots. no big deal. Overall it's not a very clean tank at this point. Doesn't look bad and just about table top ready. 

Halfheartedly looking at army construction. Still haven't run any points yet. It's D&D night again so I should have time to paint or build while that's going on. 
I think all I have left to build are 6 Nu-Bikers, 15 assault Intercessors and 5 more Incursors? the ones with the haywire mine. 
I may paint 5 more hell blasters, haven't decided yet. 

The slaughter continues. 

Update. 
Good news! I finally built the second 5 Incursor squad! 
On to the Bikers next! My backlog is almost looking manageable now. 

I found the bitz I need to build one more Heavy hell blaster to fill out the next five models in that squad and am thinking about adding 5 more assault hellblasters as well. At this point I have a Captain, squad of hell blasters, Intercessors, an Lt and a squad of three Inceptors with the autto-bolters and a box of reavers left aside that I may try to part with to help fund this army. I doubt they will be easy to sell for any meaningful price because they are left over from the previous starter box. But you never know.  At any rate I don't plan to paint them as Blood Angels at this time. If I can find the bitz I need to change some of their weapons around I'd recycle them in to this army for sure. But all of that is for another time. 

I mentioned wanting to build terrain again and I took first steps today buying some material for wen I get started and I am pleased to report i remembered to buy white glue so I can sort out all the bases for the BA's and probably all the IGH I painted over the spring and summer. 

The slaughter continues. 

Update.
More good news. I found the Blood Angel icons from pop goes the monkey and place an order. Spent more than I wanted too but looking at the next round of Space Marines models ect, there isn't that much coming out I plan to buy right away. 
I have managed to build one outrider so far 5 more to go. 

The rain canceled my outdoor work. I got the next 2 outriders built and primered them and the Incursor squad. 
80% chance of rain tomorrow. Hope to keep the progress going. I'm going to attempt to base coat as many models as I can this evening. 

Edited by Warhead01

Update.
It looks like my Pop goes the Monkey order has arrived at the post office. ! 
Have to look those over, I am wondering if O can paint them on the sprue and then clip them or if that will be more trouble than it's worth. Haven't worked with these before but I am thrilled at the huge time saver, I haven't had any luck with transfers in maybe 20 years now. I have or had the mirosalv/set but no luck with those. 

No painting yet this week. Lots of irl stuff going on, maybe this evening I'll have some time and interest. 

Looking at the BA's supplement pdf I am very excited about the assault intercessor death Company... in a pure BA army. Yikes! it's looking like 6 attacks each with the chainswords... Ork problems are over? 

Hopefully I will have a picture update by the weekend. 

Update.
The reavers are started now.
med_gallery_3442_16212_63637.jpg

The red is all dones now have started the black paint. slow going so will only paint a few at a time so I can make it through with out problems. Yellow helmets at the end.
This leave the 3 bikers I started working on to get their red paint finished ect.
Have to hit it as hard as I can this next two weeks, I'm itching to get back to the guard project very soon.
The over all goal is a "Battle ready" army, what ever that means. I have trouble painting well when I have to force it to happen. so this is a lot like my Orks. I kick the can down the road in steps until it's done.

Oh, I received notice that my SM codex has hipped tomorrow already. Should be here sooner than expected if that's true but I can wait if I have to.
We'll see what happens.

Update.

Fair progress over the last few days.
The reavers are just waiting to have their eyes done up. And two of them have to have their flesh tones finished.
gallery_3442_16212_14576.jpg

I'm finishing the black paint work on Eradicators today and have done the same on all the Incursors now as well. Kinda batting clean up before the next set of steps, probably metallics.
I need a fresh bottle of glue so that I can pop on the Blood angel chapter icons, some of them were ruined a few nights ago by rampaging cats in the night, only about 3 of them were ruined. I will be ordering another sheet in a month give or take.
Just made a deal for a used Repulsor Executioner, my friend built it and magnetized it but is un happy with the way the weapons sit on it or something so I'll salvage it at a low low price!
Tracking says my SM codex is already in Orlando so it should arrive sooner than expected and I am thrilled with that as I have had reports from friends who already have theirs saying it is an amazing book.
I'm going to work on the Outriders next and from there we'll see I am soon to return to my Imperial Guard project I have Horse Cavalry to finish and artillery to buy. (Freedonia demands victory! )
I'll start working on some kind of master list for the Blood Angels collection in the coming weeks. I want something easy to use with already determined unit load outs, lol Primaris, for easy list building.

The slaughter continues.

Update.
Outriders mostly done. Not thrilled with how they turned out. Had issued building the squad leader so problems from the get go.
I'll revisit them later for the silver metallic a nd eyes.

med_gallery_3442_16212_175002.jpg

I started to put the BA Icons on the Reavers. All 10 done now. Much easier than I had expected.

med_gallery_3442_16212_84215.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_216909.jpg

I like the way the Reavers have turned out.

Edited by Warhead01

Yeah, the bikes... Not that easy kit as it may seem. I think they really should not be glued with those fast-drying cyano-acrylic glues. They dry too fast and the bikes need to be put together quite firmly and then often pushed together with great force to ensure all the bolts click. Even then there can be gaps at the top of the fuselage. Additionally Some areas are hard to reach with paint after full assembly.

Still, good job on this army!
How were those Pop-goes-the-Monkey icons to work with? They look pretty good.

Yeah, the bikes... Not that easy kit as it may seem. I think they really should not be glued with those fast-drying cyano-acrylic glues. They dry too fast and the bikes need to be put together quite firmly and then often pushed together with great force to ensure all the bolts click. Even then there can be gaps at the top of the fuselage. Additionally Some areas are hard to reach with paint after full assembly.

Still, good job on this army!

How were those Pop-goes-the-Monkey icons to work with? They look pretty good.

Your correct about those bikes. Yikes I ruined the squad leads bike with the glue. I think I could have used glue in another spot and it would have been much better, pulling the plate over the bolters together and cleaning up where they come together. I do have three more and may try that or just no use any glue at all. I remember though that on one of the bikes the plastic pegs for the push fit were snapped off. I think that's part of the problem. Probably the Sgt's bike. 

The icons are very delicate. I don't have as much tactile feeling in my fingers now days and have to go very slowly and carefully so I can put them on and also not crush or drop them. 

I am using a push pin to put a small dot of glue on the shoulder plate and then placing the icon on with just enough time to finish centering it. so far so good. It seems to be working very well.  I think I need to put more paint on the icons, primed them on the sprues but should give them another coat or two. I'm doing touch ups but the spots are right over the red... Don't want to over brush and ruin things. I already have enough of that. 

I think I like these icons but would have preferred sculpted shoulders. would have been easier over all. 

I'm thrilled with the way this army is turning out so far. I think it will look really nice on the table. I'm just going after the nicely painted to dead-ard' gamers army. - :biggrin.:

Late this evening I finally had time for painting. I have started to repaint my second Repulsor.
I never heard from my friend about the Repulsor Executioner. He may have just been too busy. I'll find out tomorrow night. If he has changed his mind I'm perfectly fine with that as well.
With luck I should have both the tank repainted and attach the remaining 40 Icons to the painted model tomorrow. 

Update.

Finished the red and all the washes on the second Repulsor tank today.

Still have to put on the Icons but that's for another day.

I'm not a big fan of Space marines without helmets and decided to change him up a little.

gallery_3442_16212_145807.jpg

I like it better this way. Need to repaint his Armor to the brighter red to match and the Infiltrators as well. Camo would be better but I am not ready to sort that idea out just now.

This evening I am adding the flame weapons to three Agressors I had left over from a trade I did over a year ago. 
I did work on the repaint of that Captain but the reds still turned out darker than they should have. I'm just going to leave it alone for a while now. 

Happy to report that I have finished gluing the flamer bitz to the Agressors. Will try to put some primer on them last thing tonight so I can get them painted this week. I should start building the second Assault Intercessor squad next. This project is nearly at a respectable stopping point.