Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

warhead01 - Primaris Blood Angels project

Primaris Blood Angels Blood Angels blog

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,056 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Mephiston looking good. The picture link doesn't work for me though.

Thank you.
No idea why the link isn't working for you. I posted to my blog because it makes sharing larger pictures easier but I'll pop them in below.
I was worried these pictures would be too big but I guess it's fine.

20210422_123205.jpg

20210422_123243.jpg

20210422_123452.jpg

20210422_123603.jpg

20210422_123331.jpg

Edited by Warhead01, 24 April 2021 - 11:48 AM.

• Bjorn Firewalker and Spyros like this

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,003 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job on the Storm Speeder and the Outrider Chaplain.
  • Warhead01 likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,056 posts

Thank you.
I finally have a reasonable picture of the Chaplin to share. 
20210429_161029.jpg

I found my fisheye lenses... 

I attempted to play a solo game the other day.  I used the list from the previous battle reports, the one posted in this thread. 
Here's the army on the table in one shot. 
20210429_161547.jpg

You can read the battle report from my attempted game  HERE.

I attempted to play a 2000 point game managing both armies. it became a 5 hour nightmare of back pain and delirious rule mistakes. Followed by deciding an Ork victory through attrition of units...   I did learn a few things so there's that. One of the thing I learned is that at this stage 9th is too complicated for a solo game at such a large size, 2000 points. 
And with that the Blood Angels will return at about 1000 points in future solo games. 
Looking back at all the things that happened I realized I had more or less forgotten to spend CP's during the game on stratagems that most likely would have drawn the game out and really helped the Blood Angels swing the match. I am also now seeing a strong reason to add Assault Intercessors to my list. I had an instance where the Orks fought twice and that was just a thing to behold. Primaris would have mad a large dent in the Orks had they been able to do the same. 

Thanks for reading. Hope to be back again with another , hopefully better, battle report in the not too distant future. 

• Bjorn Firewalker, Majkhel and Vermintide like this

Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Rhavien

Rhavien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 188 posts
Beside your backpain and rules chaos it sounds like a fun idea. I can imagine being on your feet for 5 hours straight while bending over a table can be quite stressful :). Nice terrain you got there man. The action shot of you chaplain looks badass and the army as a whole looks fantastic, too. May I ask what kind of battlemat you are using?
  • Warhead01 likes this

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,056 posts

Thanks. Yes it was just madness once the dice started to roll.  Looking back now I had more fun that I had realized at the time. 
The mat I made from felt with Gesso and then painted with a big disposable brush and some bits of left over pluck foam held together with a rubber band . 
It's really easy to do. I had the fabric for quite some time and had to cut it down. the gesso was maybe 8 dollars us the rest was craft paint and fairly inexpensive. I had most of it around already for terrain painting and diy projects. 
Just let the gesso dry before you move on to painting or tint it with ink or dirty washes/nasty paint water. I had tan fabric but might have saved time if I had chosen a darker color to use as  a base to build from. I just chose the same colors I use for the bases of my armies for the mat. Best part is it rolls up with no problems. I recall putting come gesso in my water cup as well as on the mat to really get it in the fabric.  It did smell a bit but nothing that remains noticeable. I think it's the smell of craft paint. 
The mat is a third too long and I'll trim that off for 1000 point game size. it's a little funny though as the book only lists the minimum table size not the required table size. had I realized that I would have had it either 4X6 or 4X8. I may make another one or two later and matching terrain. Rebuild my jungle collection and a matching mat. 
Let me know if you make one your self! 

The terrain. I've made terrain for about 20 years now off and on it 's a lot of fun. I'm trying really happy with how it's turning out so far. I kinda want it to look like it would be believable background on a tv show or movie. Some of it is getting there, still have more in the works!  I love diy terrain. 

Edited by Warhead01, 01 May 2021 - 01:31 AM.

Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,003 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job on the Outrider Chaplain. "Witness me, Emperor and Master of Mankind!"
  • Warhead01 likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Rhavien

Rhavien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 188 posts
Had to Google what gesso actually is 😀. So it's a diy mat. Cool as hell! Did you use sand to get the rough texture or is it just the paint? Or is it flat and it's just an optical illusion?
Unfortunately I just don't have the time to finish such a project in an acceptable time frame with my family and work. I don't find hardly any time to build and paint miniatures to begin with.
But anyways I think you really capture a theme with your terrain there. Even in professional batreps I often think the terrain is just thrown together without much thought. Need a Los blocker? Bam, half a gothic ruin in the middle of a desert and some pristine containers right beside it...
  • Warhead01 likes this

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,056 posts

Had to Google what gesso actually is . So it's a diy mat. Cool as hell! Did you use sand to get the rough texture or is it just the paint? Or is it flat and it's just an optical illusion?
Unfortunately I just don't have the time to finish such a project in an acceptable time frame with my family and work. I don't find hardly any time to build and paint miniatures to begin with.
But anyways I think you really capture a theme with your terrain there. Even in professional batreps I often think the terrain is just thrown together without much thought. Need a Los blocker? Bam, half a gothic ruin in the middle of a desert and some pristine containers right beside it...

The mat took me about 3 days with lots of drying time and not being in a rush. it is a bit textured from the Gesso and the felt fuzz, it's not bad in my opinion it's just not smooth like a store bought mat.  I had been planning to buy one myself but didn't ever find one I could get excited enough about to buy. The diy mat took only a few hours work over 3 days most of the time was just letting a step dry.  If you can't you can't. Or, maybe you have a local gamer/hobbyist you can bribe to do it for you... ?  who knows you might help make some one a fortune. Material costs are fairly low maybe 30 or 40 dollars.  Just find some glue sniffer you can pay in 25MM bases and your set! teehee.gif (ermm.gifermm.gif - Really dude... What's wrong with you.... )
gg I know what you mean about those batreps. I know Blue Table Painting  has had their ups and downs over they years but the one thing I liked about their videos used to be their terrain. The effort was there and they probably planned to sell it at some point.  I think terrain building is probably a little intimidating. I have a large material supply after all these years (and I'm starting to raid my bitz box! ) I think about playability and what theme do I like, some of what I've made is just junk that will be repurposed, a sort of place holder so I can get some games in. What also funny is how much of the terrain I've made is still in a local shop from almost 20 years ago. Back when I thought I was going to make a terrain shop on Ebay. I didn't know anything about how to go about it back then. 

Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Primaris Blood Angels, Blood Angels blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users