Armond's WIP Thread: Badab, Thulsa Kane, Star Phantoms,

Armond

Well, been some time since I posted anything in here.  Life has been super busy and honestly, I kind of fell out of 40k for a little while due to some distractions.

Anyway, enough about life.  You clicked this for Thulsa Kane, so going right to it.

Needed to have the following items as mentioned in his profile:

• The Ænigmata Ferrum - This sacred tome contains the accumulated battle-wisdom and ancient secrets of the Executioners Chapter culled from many thousands of Terran years of chronicles. A copy of the Aenigmata Ferrum is carried into battle and further added to by every high mortiurge of the Chapter.
  • Grehdalin's Bones - A relic of the Chapter, this Artificer Armour was created from the nigh-indestructible skeletal remains of an ancient xenos beast that once slaughtered an entire colony world's population one-by-one. Slain by one of the greatest of the Chapter's high chaplains in an epic struggle, the armour is said to both shield the flesh of the Chaplain who wears it, as well as remind them constantly of the high standards they are expected to set for the rest of the Chapter.
  • Lifetaker - The Lifetaker is a massive black-bladed Power Axe of archaic design, carried by successive Chapter Masters of the Executioners and given to Thulsa Kane to signify his leadership of the Executioners during the dark days of the Badab War.
  • Plasma Pistol
  • Rosarius

So first off.  Cobble together pieces.  Obviously used the MoE model thanks to its integration of bones, works great for Grehdalin's Bones!  The Axe, to rep Lifetaker, was also a huge selling point for me to use.  I shaved off any chaos-like symbols I could find and also made the axe a little smaller by shaving down from the top.  Right forearm and plasma pistol is from Mk IV armor/weapons upgrades.  Added an oath paper on the front and on his backpack.  The pack is from Dorn, shaved down any intricate details to make it less "Primarchy".  Left shoulder pauldron is from an unknown, I just had it in my bits box.  Added a pistol holster as well.

TK Cobbled Parts

Next, some Green Stuff fun.  I am not the best with it, but I decided to try some new things.  I added a profile skull image to each side of the Axe.  Added some chains to hang from the waist and for a Rosarius to hang from.  The book is a custom book from previous bits and represents the Aenigmata Ferrum.  I had to cut it in half and properly align them and add pages to it in between.  The helmet, a Night Lord's Terror Squad Mk IV helmet was used.  I added all the studs on it myself as well, with rivets from my bit box.  I also shaved any of the stitched leather/skin robes threads and green-stuffed folds of the robe a bit to make it less "Chaos."  Also added a small shielf on the breastplate I could paint the Executioners' Chapter symbol on.

TK Green Stuff

Primed version to show pieces all together for completeness

TK Primed

Showing a close-up of the head and also I only painted one lens as the other one would be superfluous since his encounter with Necrons during The Battle of Carrion Deep.

TK One Eye

And the finished products and a final pic with another Chaplain I painted back in 2015 to show the scheme matching!

TK Final

TK Left Side

TK Right Side

TK Rear

Chaplains

Next WIP are some Star Phantoms:

Left to Right - Heavy Bolter, Combi-Plasma(seconded to the Deathwatch at a time), Plasma Gun, P-Sword/Combi-Melta, Bolter Chainsword, and a Recon Marine w/Missile Launcer (Scout)

Star Phantoms

C&C always welcome!

Edited by Armond

Great work on Old Night himself! I attempted an earlier conversion of him using the same base too.

My Executioners are a bit more ‘gone native’, and yours is really true to a codex chapter high chaplain. Bonus points for all the WYSIWUG! And also repacking the torso to be an MkIII; as well as overall bits choice. Look forward to seeing more executioners and or your next Badab themed marines.

WOW!! :jawdrop:

What a striking and intimidating take on my favorite Executioner! I adore this conversion. The choice to use the Master of Executions was inspired, it has such a sturdy menace to its pose that is a perfect base for a Chaplain. The Night Lord head is also an excellent choice; I love how many Chaos bits this guy uses. It's a great nod to how menacing and alien to most of humanity even loyalist Astartes are.

The green-stuff work on this figure really helps sell the conversion as well, with my favorite being the shield on the chest. How much of a pain was it to greenstuff those robes?

Even as fellow secessionists during the Badab War, I can't help but imagine my Mantis Warriors would be intimidated to have to fight alongside these guys! Speaking of other Badab armies, there's a group challenge/plog we have going in this forum, Back to Badab, and I'm sure everyone involved with that would love to see your work on these guys! It's been pretty quiet in that thread lately, but I'm sure we'd be stoked if you felt like posting these guys there. No pressure of course, just wanted to mention it :whistling:

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see more of these fearsome fellows.

Great work on Old Night himself! I attempted an earlier conversion of him using the same base too.

My Executioners are a bit more ‘gone native’, and yours is really true to a codex chapter high chaplain. Bonus points for all the WYSIWUG! And also repacking the torso to be an MkIII; as well as overall bits choice. Look forward to seeing more executioners and or your next Badab themed marines.

Hey thanks!  It was a labor of love!  Tons of fun to do, at times frustrating, but the end made me smile!  I have about 3K points of them painted up from 2015.  I am just coming back to them to work on adding more numbers to them.

That looks like one pretty mean dude. Great job!

Thank you!

WOW!! :jawdrop:

What a striking and intimidating take on my favorite Executioner! I adore this conversion. The choice to use the Master of Executions was inspired, it has such a sturdy menace to its pose that is a perfect base for a Chaplain. The Night Lord head is also an excellent choice; I love how many Chaos bits this guy uses. It's a great nod to how menacing and alien to most of humanity even loyalist Astartes are.

The green-stuff work on this figure really helps sell the conversion as well, with my favorite being the shield on the chest. How much of a pain was it to greenstuff those robes?

Even as fellow secessionists during the Badab War, I can't help but imagine my Mantis Warriors would be intimidated to have to fight alongside these guys! Speaking of other Badab armies, there's a group challenge/plog we have going in this forum, Back to Badab, and I'm sure everyone involved with that would love to see your work on these guys! It's been pretty quiet in that thread lately, but I'm sure we'd be stoked if you felt like posting these guys there. No pressure of course, just wanted to mention it :whistling:

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see more of these fearsome fellows.

Thanks for the praise!  He is definitely an awesome character to try and create in model-form!  The MoE base was suggested elsewhere, and i was a little critical of whether it would work.  But it worked after some changes/mods!  The shield is necessary for me to break up that blank space on his chest.  Glad you like!  The green stuff on the robes wasn't too bad, having some clay shapers really helped!

I will check out the thread!  Here is a pic or two or more of some of the others in this force already completed!  Not the best pics, but what I have on hand!

Executioners Terminators

Terminator Executioners

Chaplain Executioners

Executioners with Razorback

Executioners Command Squad

Scout concept

Total Force

What’s your armor recipe for the typical axe brother troopers? Mine always come out looking too blue; like Nightlords instead of just blue gunmetal.

Any suggestions? (As your tone of armor color seems pretty consistent and close to modern images of the chapter)

Primer grey, then I use leadbelcher or equivalent as a base color.  I highlight with something a little lighter in terms of silver metallic.  Then I take Drakenhof Nightshade and thin with a little water then apply liberally over the silver pieces.  Just one coat though.  If you use a second coat it turns significantly darker blue.  Afterwards I take leadbelcher and highlight some of the details, like studs, aquila wings, etc.

Edited by Armond

Really good stuff!

Thank you!

Thanks for the tip about ‘thinning’ the blue wash; that’s what I’ve been missing!

No worries.  Hopefully it worked out well for you!