Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Xenith's Xenos: On Crusade

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

shinyeldar.jpg

Welcome to my thread of all things Xenos. This first post will be a placeholder to direct you in what may or may not become a sprawling thread of Xeno projects...

The story so far:

Hive Fleet Jabberwocky

Bad Moon Clan

Edited by Xenith, 12 May 2021 - 03:26 PM.

• TrawlingCleaner likes this

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Let's start with a power-rangers style shot...I'm struggling to finalise my colour scheme. I wanted my Eldar to be physically sickening, as they were mentally, so i went with a lime green base with red/lavender halved detailing. This was pretty work intensive. I'm now kind of motivated to get back to the Eldar, and am thinking of streamlining the scheme, with a few options below. Which do you think is the best/most striking?

L-R: Red, black, dark purple, light purple, orange. 

The dark/light purple is pretty close to Il Kaithe, but a bit brighter, the orange is a green instead of grey Yme Loc. The black was a recent idea for a really contrasting colour to the green, and the red wsa an accident that I thought actually looked pretty good. 

Thoughts?

gallery_58096_16708_11102.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_94234.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_191359.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_14103.jpg

Edited by Xenith, 20 October 2020 - 11:50 AM.

• space wolf and Kyknos of Athena like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,143 posts

I'm sorry, but the green and accent colours are giving me TMNT vibes whistling.gif

Ancient Mental Xeno Eldar,

Craftworlds on the verge of...

Annihilation! 

The Orange looks excellent though, definitely captures that "sick" feeling.

• space wolf, apologist, Xenith and 3 others like this

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

I'm sorry, but the green and accent colours are giving me TMNT vibes whistling.gif

biggrin.png  I hadn't even thought that, I just need a blue one I guess.

• Charlo and BadgersinHills like this

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,367 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Green and orange are a fantastic old-school scheme; but my favourite is the red and green. It's a colour combo you don't see very often, thanks to the Christmassy look, but here the green is vibrant and lime green, so it just looks arresting.

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Green and orange are a fantastic old-school scheme; but my favourite is the red and green. It's a colour combo you don't see very often, thanks to the Christmassy look, but here the green is vibrant and lime green, so it just looks arresting.

Yes, these are the ones I'm most drawn to myself - I can't remember why I started painting a helmet red, but I was very pleased with the result. I'm going to have a play aroun and try some with full red/orange helms, no white faces. That's been suggested a couple of times. 

Edited by Xenith, 20 October 2020 - 02:10 PM.

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 643 posts

I like the orange for your aim of making them garishly sickening(though maybe making it a tad brighter would help? or maybe not... not much of a color theory-ist, so I have no clue), though I do like the light purple as well, gives me inverted Eva Unit-01 vibes:

3454f32e7e62185f16ea9b03d97dabbd.jpg

which might be another reason the orange called to me, since that color is in Unit-01's scheme as well... actually, all the colors you tried are in there...

Edited by RipOffProductions, 20 October 2020 - 08:20 PM.

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 905 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

I like red and green.

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png  

My Works in Progress

Credit to Julie Hang for the profile picture. @juliehangart on Instagram.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Haha, I hadn't even realised the Eva connection.

Reading a little more into colour theory, I think that the red looks good and the lavender purple looks odd is that the complimentary colour for a green is truly magenta. Seeing as GW produced no true magenta paints, I might have to look further afield to test a model in these colours, or perhaps add a little screamer pink to the genestealer/lavender purple colour. 

Spoiler

In a more traditional contrast, Red/Green works pretty well, which is why the above red model maybe looks good also.

Spoiler

I've since painted the eyes on the other models and repainted the dark purple one with a fully red faceplate to see how that looks - photos up soon. 

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,450 posts

Hadn't made the Eva connection myself but was thinking the scheme looked familiar. I was thinking more Lex Luthor in his power suit.

Personal tastes - I like the red then second choice is black. Black seems a bit more understated (less on the model may be helping this)

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

I was thinking more Lex Luthor in his power suit.

That's something I hadn't seen before, and definitely don't want to emulate biggrin.png

• lhg033 likes this

Sandalphon

Sandalphon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,478 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
That specific red and green took me here... Enemy of bananaman with a fear of maggots

https://images.app.g...8eLytZBMydE1w77

I like the dark purple unit-01 scheme myself
"More like Dork Angels - amirite?"
-Anon. [Deceased]

Dust falls through my hands, Dreams shatter away
Burning glow turns to ash, Thrown to wind

Kaeloth@CMON

gallery_94427_16628_12663.png

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Haha, so feedback so far has been Spiderman, Superman, and now Bananaman villains  laugh.pngteehee.gif  facepalm.png

That seems to make the red and purple options less cool, making black or orange more preferable.

I might have another go at these, with full-face-paint versions to see how they fly.

I initially really loved the orange, however the black is growing on me. I think it would make the army look...slick...and maybe the contrast would make the green seem more neon, if that makes sense? Orange could be a spot colour for gems, perhaps. 

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 643 posts

Hadn't made the Eva connection myself but was thinking the scheme looked familiar. I was thinking more Lex Luthor in his power suit.

I admit, I've associated Eldar and Eva ever since I saw someone point out how Eldar Titans are basically Eva units(plus just having vibrant colors on semi-literal godmachines), and while I've come to realize that that wasn't as acurite as they claimed, it still stuck with me ever since, and I've been thinking about how cool it would be if you could pose Eldar Titans in the cool and dynamic poses seen thoughout the show and movies... it would have to wait until Adeptus Titanicus adds Xenos titans due to weight/stability(and cost) issues, but still it will be cool once that happens.

Edited by RipOffProductions, 25 October 2020 - 04:09 AM.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

I've been thinking about how cool it would be if you could pose Eldar Titans in the cool and dynamic poses seen thoughout the show and movies... it would have to wait until Adeptus Titanicus adds Xenos titans due to weight/stability(and cost) issues, but still it will be cool once that happens.

Why not use a wraithlord? They're already probably in scale, and poseable:

Spoiler

I've taken a step back on the colour tests for now to let them sink in. The black still is really growing on me, and would be the easiest to repaint some of my existing models. I also feel that might might get an "awesome" reaction as opposed to the usual "ugh"...but then maybe I want the "ugh"...

I still have the Xeno bug and want to make up some Eldar models. Next I need to test out how I'd magnetise a wraithlord and war-walkers. These were stubbling blocks for me a decade ago that saw progress grind to a halt on the army. 

Edited by Xenith, 27 October 2020 - 10:10 AM.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Snapped a quick pic of my most recent Xenos efforts.

gallery_58096_13272_1811.jpg

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,821 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Fine works. I especially applaud your efforts on the Tyranids.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

We can add a Lictor to the growing agents of the swarm...

Just the basing left to do on the LictorFish:

gallery_58096_13272_345982.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_36042.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_68581.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_16899.jpg

They're maybe hard to see, but here's a close-up of the striations on the carapace that features on all my (big) bugs. It's white-on-grey, so could maybe stand out more.

gallery_58096_13272_118427.jpg

• Kyknos of Athena likes this

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,526 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I would throw my coin for the orange or black scheme for the Aeldari :)
Perhaps it would help you to decide weather you want a warmer or more cool look? Cause black definitely cools the overall feel, while orange heats it up.

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"  ||   Other things&projects
gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgsml_gallery_48988_16308_8698.pnggallery_105306_14812_3271.pnggallery_105306_14812_1034.pnggallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_2682.gifsml_gallery_48988_11572_5890.pngsml_gallery_48988_16024_10350.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_4327.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_5489.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Not helping! laugh.png

I'm still quite torn. I think it's down to those two though. I might dig out my already painted guardians and repaint some of the purple as black to see how it looks. 

• Majkhel likes this

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

I got to work on my Red Gobbo on Friday, and he's here after 2 evenings of work. I'm pretty happy. He's all contrast bar the skin and metallics. Really fun model to paint, and just in time for XMas. I just need to highlight the skin and finish the lenses on the goggles. 

gallery_58096_15293_113105.jpg

My actual Christmas list.

gallery_58096_15293_75793.jpg

Copy of the box art done with neat Blood Angels Red Contrast.

gallery_58096_15293_642.jpg

gallery_58096_15293_67527.jpg

Edited by Xenith, 07 December 2020 - 10:14 AM.

• StratoKhan, Kyknos of Athena and Majkhel like this

StratoKhan

StratoKhan

++EQUITES ALBATUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,891 posts
Good job, very neat and tidy paint job so far. List is cool! You getting teef for Xmas?
Some of the letters are a little messy but at that size... don’t know if I could do them as good as that.

How did you do the baubles?

Armies: Flaming Swords Chapter, Black Legion, Space Wolves

My Chapter, The Flaming Swords http://www.bolterand...flaming-swords/

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

Yea, I messed up a couple, but seeing as the gobbo is semi-literate, it's not like he can tell. The baubles were actually a base of liberator gold, with Blood Angels Red and Warp Lightning Green contrast over the top, I think they look ace. I'd maybe try stormhost silver next time, but I'd heard good things about red contrast over gold. 

• StratoKhan likes this

StratoKhan

StratoKhan

++EQUITES ALBATUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,891 posts
They have that perfect satin-like shine that some Christmas baubles have, I really like them.
Thanks for sharing the combo.

Armies: Flaming Swords Chapter, Black Legion, Space Wolves

My Chapter, The Flaming Swords http://www.bolterand...flaming-swords/

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,528 posts

So I pulled out everything I painted in 2020, and it was a fair amount! 

gallery_58096_11725_213810.jpg

As you can see, they're mostly the Scions of Sanguinius, but with a good amount of Nids... in models terms. In points, it's maybe <500...but also some ork and Eldar. 

gallery_58096_11725_10265.jpg

This was mainly mopping up gifts from previous years, but the Eldar test schemes worked well, and I'd like to spend some of 2020 getting my craftworld to a tabletop ready 1500pts. I think I currently have maybe 1000pts fully painted. I'd at least like to finish off all my Grav Tanks. 

• Kyknos of Athena likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users