WarriorFish paints... a Blood Angel

WarriorFish

For those unaware I'm on a small quest to paint up chapters I have particular connections to or like of so naturally this will include the sons of Sanguinius!

gallery_30308_10604_10235.jpg

Back in the Dark Age of Hobby (sometimes known as "2nd Edition") I started with Blood Angels, still have the box set Marines somewhere in red :tongue.: They have black trims but I after that I was taken with the Blood Angel scheme on a later Tactical squad box (98 release I think it was?). I should try and find a picture somewhere for reference. A deeper colour, all red - and a beakie on top. As we all know MkVI is one of the best armour marks I made sure to pay tribute to that with another here :biggrin.:

I'm looking to prime models soon so should be able to start getting some paint on him before long, so that means sorting a painting method. I'm not unfamiliar with painting red but I'd welcome any advice or suggestions, plus of course anything for markings and company etc :thumbsup:

I have to complement your choice of parts :thumbsup: 

For painting - lots of choice really:) Will you be going dark (Mephiston Red) or bright (Evil Sunz Scarlet), something in the middle (both) or something else entirely? Then the question of highlighting - cool whites or warm oranges/yellows.

I would advise against highlighting Mephiston Red with whites as it brings out the pink-iness of the paint.

Then there is the question oh heraldry:
- each battlefield role has differently coloured helmets
- company (dfferent markings and colours)
- squad designation (different markings)

Thanks everyone, I'm thinking Mephiston Red to start with. Don't want him too dark (that's Flesh Tearer territory) but I do have a decent collection of reds so I should be alright here :thumbsup:

I'm thinking I may paint the helmet yellow. The aim is for line troopers and the like but I still remember when BA could take Assault Marines as Troops :tongue.:

Who else remembers the original Blood Angels Red (which was more of an orange)? :tongue.: I suppose I'm not too wedded to the particular shade of red so long as it isn't one of the more extreme ends of red. I think I will do the yellow helmet too :smile.:

I tried finding a picture online of the scheme I was talking about to no avail, I have the box around somewhere so if I can hook that out I'll get my own picture :tongue.:

I've decided to focus on one particular model more rather than batch painting style - not like they're similar enough for gains from it :P He's come along quite nicely with the core colours done:

gallery_30308_10604_28268.jpg

The Contrast yellow was good, wasn't expecting it to work quite so well. The details shouldn't take too long, I'm wondering what colour would suit the chest - a more burnished gold would suit better I think?

Mixing gold and yellow were generally heraldic no-nos, as they were supposed to be the same colour - I'd think so here, soo - unless you go a bright 2nd ed yellow chest eagle?

I think a black would work well, if you'd like a more modern feel - more likely corvus black (grey) shaded with eshin highlights. 

I went for a fairly vivid red on mine to opted for black chest eagles for contrast. If you are going for a darker red then yellow/gold might make them "pop" more. My BAs are not quite as bright as 2nd edition orange but still fairly bright so they have plenty of black details like chest eagles and pauldron rims. I quite like the callbacks to the old colour schemes, right down to the goblin green bases.

I guess that dates me. :biggrin.:

gallery_82363_13858_684645.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_616023.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_64520.jpg

I would advise against highlighting Mephiston Red with whites as it brings out the pink-iness of the paint.

I second that. I used Hexos Palesun as my top-level highlight which is a sort of lemon-sherbet colour. It looks good for the top level without bringing the pink.

Yass you went Assault Marine yellow helmet! Black chest Aquilas is my vote too :tu: It's what I do with mine - as Xenith says you don't want to mix yellow and gold in close proximity. He's looking great though, you should have him done soon! I never did black trims on my BA (keep changing my mind about doing it or not!) but I do like it so I think it would look good if you do it.

• 3 months later...

I'm back with the completed model:

gallery_30308_10604_60926.jpg

With work currently it has been a long slog to find the time and energy, and a few evening attempts at painting didn't go well but I'm glad he's done. Pretty pleased with him but it has meant that he's not quite as good as I was aiming for but beggars can't be choosers. Maybe I can return for a little bit more when things are less busy to add some touches. I wanted to give him 6th Company markings but realised too late that it would be a bit of a squeeze with the purity seal but the single yellow drop is iconic :)

I am a fan of black trims as they contrast well with the red. Most other Chapters have contrasting should pad rims and I feel that BA shoulder pads look oddly plain without it. Just personal preference of course. :smile.: