Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rogue Trader Futura: Blood Angels

retrohammer Blood Angels

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,366 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

POPULAR

A few years back, I decided I'd recreate the GW studio Blood Angels army from 1991. A few days back, I finished it:

A44A60DF-11A3-4946-8E01-1D15AE566154.jpe

Based on the then-current Rogue Trader force building rules, the army was detailed in White Dwarf issue 139, along with a painting guide, and later appeared in what I believe was the first Warhammer 40,000 battle report in issue 141. The pict-capture below shows my army alongside the inspiration. I hope you'll excuse the lack of goblin green on the bases!

7D829738-2FB8-49F5-9B35-0B5C3681F57C.jpe

Alongside its Eldar and Ork counterparts, the army appeared numerous times, notably in issue 166; when a battle report to showcase the release of 2nd edition Warhammer 40,000 saw Captain Tycho felled by an ork psychic blast. That period – from 1991 onwards – was when I got into the hobby, and this army was the seed for my enthusiasm.

ab.jpg" />

I do like a bit of 'high-concept' in my hobby; so rather than simply swapping things out for their modern equivalents (Intercessors in place of Tactical marines, for example), I've converted the relevant figures to better match the modern scale. I've got a lot of fondness for the originals, so I wanted to make sure my figures paid homage to the classics.

E969AA02-5E38-4A16-8B49-3B806D5D515D.jpe

E6560811-ABFD-44F9-A36E-B480682B193E.jpe

In essence, the idea was to create the army that Tim Prow (who painted the original army) and Andy Chambers (who put the list together) would have made had modern manufacturing methods been available at the time. Good design, after all, is timeless. Balancing putting my own spin on things with them being instantly recognisable was key. 

k.jpg

3AD3D592-E8FA-44C7-BFD5-07DAA03F9DAF.jpe

• Brother Tyler, Master Toddius, Rogue and 47 others like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,646 posts
I remember WD139 well! That is a spectacular re-imagining of a classic army. You have even recreated the recipe for NMM gold on the soon-to-be Captain Tycho.
  • Pacific81 and apologist like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Freakshow668

Freakshow668

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 470 posts
  • Faction: Chaos , Grey Knights
WD 141 was the first issue I ever read and I remember that bat rep fondly. You have created a fantastic homage.
  • apologist and walter h like this

gallery_48988_15465_21394.pngi3iB7hT.png

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,366 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

+++ Personalities +++

k.jpg

Captain Erasmus Tycho (Lord Dahavauron 9:91, Prince of the Erelim)

c.jpg
Chaplain Savonarola (Amaliel 7:13)

j.jpg
Codicier Ureolo (Iaoel 3:02)

l.jpg
Sanguinary Priest Sansavino (Varchiel 2:06)

f.jpg
Techmarine Haynes Mirandola (Maltiel 4:01)

+++ Battle line +++

g.jpg
Squad Raphael, Third Company – The Wards of Furiel; 3rd Strateia of the Host of Angels.

r.jpg
Squad Lazarus, Third Company – Mano Sacra; 3rd Strateia of the Host of Angels

120342C6-DEB6-4508-BAD3-551A48A0563B.jpe
Squad Castigarius, Third Company – The Sorrow of Kings; 9rd Strateia of the Host of Angels.

+++ Support +++

a.jpg
Squad Redemptor, First Company – Sustainers; First-amongst-equals of the War Eternal under Master Formosus, Lord of the Host, Master of the divided Legion and heir of Sanguinius.

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

c.jpg

• Brother Tyler, Master Toddius, Rogue and 27 others like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Azaiel

Azaiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 499 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch, Orks

This is pure awesomesauce!

A beautiful reimagening, my fav being Tycho with the techmarine a close second since his so tacticool. yes.gif

• apologist and walter h like this

gallery_48988_15738_17267.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_13427.png

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,143 posts

Utterly incredible stuff. Well done!

• apologist likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,810 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Beautiful works!
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,876 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Amazing work Brother... definitely a project to be proud ofthumbsup.gif

sml_gallery_49400_16059_1314.png sml_gallery_49400_16059_25207.png

K0rtmer

K0rtmer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts
Fantastic effort. Great idea and realised so well. Absolutely made my day.
  • walter h likes this

— Visit K0rtmer's echo chamber: slow-burn, random projects, Death Guard, Space Crusade. You know, hobby butterfly. 

gallery_80057_10843_8937.jpg

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts
  • Faction: Phœnix Knights, Legion V

I have followed your work since the beginning, and no word can fully depict the sheer awesomeness of this project. I entered the hobby in 1993 and all of this is fond memories.

The conversions, the dedication to details, the painting, everything is amazing. But best of all, you managed to use new models but keeping the spirit of this 90's army.

Sir, you make the hobby better.

• walter h likes this

Frostbit3

Frostbit3

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
What a cool project. Congrats on finishing!
  • walter h likes this

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,694 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

One of the absolute most awe-inspiring projects I've had the pleasure of following. I'm so happy for your success and I can't wait to see what you create next!

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,118 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Ooh do the studios Alaitoc Eldar army next. :D 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

StratoKhan

StratoKhan

++EQUITES ALBATUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,891 posts

Great army, glad to see it's all come together. Excellent achievement.

Armies: Flaming Swords Chapter, Black Legion, Space Wolves

My Chapter, The Flaming Swords http://www.bolterand...flaming-swords/

jeremy1391

jeremy1391

++ LIBRITOR VALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,356 posts
  • Faction: Knights/imperial fists
Wow! This is one of the coolest armies I’ve ever seen!

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,515 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights Adepta Sororitas

Amazing stuff

walter h

walter h

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 607 posts
Fantastic work. I envy your dedication and drive to complete this.

gallery_30308_9518_48142.png

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,549 posts

As someone that started 40k in 1994 with a Blood Angels army this hits me right in the feels. A fantastic job with great attention to detail. I love the Rapier platform filling in for the Thudd Gun and the silver Chaplain is reminiscent of the artwork at the time. I don't have a White Dwarf from that period but similar photographs showed up in the 40k boxed set and were incredibly inspiring to young Takatus.

• Master Toddius and Karhedron like this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Ploghttp://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Ploghttp://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Pacific81

Pacific81

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,834 posts

Have to say Apologist this is one of the coolest projects I have seen in some time. Wow!

It's some years since I have seen your work, you were a great painter back in the day but this is a step above that for sure. Fantastic stuff. 

• apologist likes this

Wulf Vengis

Wulf Vengis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,331 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
These are awesome and the more modern paint scheme looks true to form. Fantastic.
The Lone Wolf Saga or The Lone Wolf Saga
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Orlath83

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: retrohammer, Blood Angels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users