Indomitus White Scars - A Project Log

EmpiricalReed

Hi folks,

I'm only back in the hobby a couple of years after a long absence. When I got back in to things I was just painting individual models or small squads here and there, just things I liked the look of from various factions. With the Indomitus release I decided, having fallen in love with the White Scars chapter, to paint the entire force as being from Chogoris. As I'm new on the forum I thought it'd be fun to keep a log of the progress.

Assault Intercessor Squad #1

Indomitus Assault Intercessors Squad #1

Assault Intercessor #1

Assault Intercessor #2

Assault Intercessor #3

Assault Intercessor #4

Assault Intercessor #5

The first Space Marines I tackled from the box. I love these sculpts as it's so refreshing to see lots of Space Marine poses where they are just barreling toward the enemy.

Outrider Squad

Indomitus Outriders #1

It wouldn't be the White Scars without some bikers. The gap filling on these guys isn't great and I fretted a lot over some of the details on these guys but overall I'm happy with how they turned out.

Indomitus Outriders #2

Indomitus Outriders #3

Primaris Lieutenant - Added 05/12/2020

Glad to have this guy done. I painted him in various sub-assemblies without which I think it would've been downright impossible given the pose and the angle of things like the shield and sword.

White Scars Primaris Lieutenant #4

White Scars Primaris Lieutenant #1

White Scars Primaris Lieutenant #2

White Scars Primaris Lieutenant #3

Primaris Eradicators, Chaplain and Assault Intercessor Squad # 2 - Added 04/02/2021

White Scars Eradicator Squad

White Scars Chaplain #2

White Scars Assault Intercessors Second Squad #1

Edited by EmpiricalReed

Lovely colours, what's your recipes?

I've been playing around with various methods and for now this is what I've settled on for squad painting.

For the White armour:

1) Basecoat GW Grey Seer

2) Layer GW Ulthuan Grey

3) All over gloss varnish

4) Recess shade GW Basilicanum Grey Contrast, thinned at least 50:50 with acrylic thinner

5) Edge highlights with Liquitex white ink

For the Red:

1) GW Blood Angels Red Contrast applied after the gloss stage above to any areas you want to be red.

2) Recess shade with GW Flesh Tearers Red Contrast, thinned at least 50:50 with acrylic thinner

3) If any of the BAR coat looks uneven on flat areas at this stage, I'll do a quick pass with some thin GW Mephiston Red. 

3) Edge highlights with GW Evil Suns Scarlet 

I've found myself using Contrast more and more on these guys. Because my basecoat colour is so light it does at least half the shading/highlighting work for me in one coat. (To be honest if I was in a rush I'd just do the one BAR Contrast step for my reds and it'd look fine.) Contrast over a gloss finish is also flowing like magic for me - I've painted just Black Templar into the armour ribbing and it looks great first time, it's a detail I normally hate painting but this way is so quick and painless.

Every model gets at least one solid coat of matte varnish at the end which I find really ties everything together.

Edited by EmpiricalReed

I was wondering if there was some contrast at play, looks like you've got the most from several different approaches :tu: Black Templar feels like it was almost made for soft armour :lol:

In case you don't know, Corax White is all but Ulthuan Grey and is a nice Base paint so you may want to try that out as a small revision :tu:

I was wondering if there was some contrast at play, looks like you've got the most from several different approaches :thumbsup: Black Templar feels like it was almost made for soft armour :laugh.:

In case you don't know, Corax White is all but Ulthuan Grey and is a nice Base paint so you may want to try that out as a small revision :thumbsup:

Thanks, I've actually played around with Corax White a bit but just find Ulthuan so much easier to work with and get nice and smooth. :)

Some really nice clean work! The hazard stripes on the chainswords add a tonne of character, I think having them on only a few marines also works nicely to have them draw the eye and not get lost.

Thanks so much, it's my nod to that older visual style of 40K when bright yellow and black hazard stripes were everywhere.

Update #1

I've been tipping away at a fairly slow pace. This week I took time out to get every completed Scar so far onto a consistent desert basing scheme.

Desert Basing #1

SImple enough, but cheap and not time consuming, which is what I wanted. Plus I think the sand-coloured bases offset the rest of the colour scheme nicely.

While I am painting my way through the Indomitus set there's a squad of regular Intercessors in the force too, which are the first proper Scars I painted to work out a method/recipe I was happy with. 

I've also been working on the Primaris Lieutenant and he's slowly coming together.

Primaris Lieutenant WIP #1

Spending a bit of time on this guy as he's basically one of the characters in the box.

They looks really clean and well painted. And they look good on picture too. Capturing them on picture isnt always as easy as getting them to look good. Im planning myself to build a painting studio of a box and white paper to give my models top quality when I take pictures of them.

They looks really clean and well painted. And they look good on picture too. Capturing them on picture isnt always as easy as getting them to look good. Im planning myself to build a painting studio of a box and white paper to give my models top quality when I take pictures of them.

Thanks very much. As it happens I bought a cheap, collapsable lightbox off Amazon earlier this year to practice getting some better pics. It was £40-£50 or thereabouts and well worth it in my opinion.

Update #2

A finished Primaris Lieutenant joins the ranks. I really like the whole "space-knight" thing going on with the Indomitus Lieutenant and Bladeguard, but still not 100% sure it's very White Scars.

They look really cool! I see those details there, there sure are some details that require steadiness. The one that is holding the shield reminds me alot of my Deathwing Dark Angels days. I dont play them anymore though.

Very nice job. You make me realize how much  I miss adding to my own White Scars (maybe with completing Guiliman I can get back to these guys!). I like your choices on that shield for the Lt. The army overall looks fantastic! 

Thanks very much, that's very kind!

• 3 weeks later...

Update #3

Between work and Christmas prep there hasn't been much progress on my Indomitus Scars for a few weeks. I started with the Eradicators but switched to the Chaplain and Judiciar as I needed a bit of a break from painting white armour. At the moment I've got five models from the box in various states, with only the Chaplain close to being finished.

Misc WIP #1

As we're back into a full-fledged Covid lock down again where I live and I've a few weeks off work, my goal is to finish (or mostly finish) these five boys and get the rest of the Indomitus marines assembled at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

These look real nice :yes: 

I've been tempted by White Scars myself as the HH books have given them more back story but I've held off painting white marines. I've painted Tau in the new white scheme GW have chosen for them and I found a way to make that work which involved very little actual white, lots of off white to light grey. Similar to how I deal with black which is to paint very dark grey, blue or even brown instead of pure black. Motivation to start a new project is lacking for me though so I'm looking through WIP pages and blogs. Good job 

These look real nice :yes:

I've been tempted by White Scars myself as the HH books have given them more back story but I've held off painting white marines. I've painted Tau in the new white scheme GW have chosen for them and I found a way to make that work which involved very little actual white, lots of off white to light grey. Similar to how I deal with black which is to paint very dark grey, blue or even brown instead of pure black. Motivation to start a new project is lacking for me though so I'm looking through WIP pages and blogs. Good job 

Thanks! You're absolutely right when it comes to painting white schemes, the less actual white paint you use the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Update #4

January was a bit of a rough month (what month isn't during a pandemic?) but I cracked on painting minis whenever I was able and finished up a few I'm fairly happy with.

The Eradicators might be a bit chunky and slow-looking for a force of fast-moving White Scars, but they're bringing the heat...

White Scars Eradicator Squad

Whenever I look at my Primaris Chaplain all I can think is "Local man too shouty to die".

White Scars Chaplain #1

White Scars Chaplain #2

And rounding things out we've got the second squad of Indomitus Assault Intercessors wrapped up.

White Scars Assault Intercessor Sergeant #1

White Scars Assault Intercessors Second Squad #1

The absolute hobby highlight of January has got to be my Scars making an appearance on GW's Hobby Roundup Twitch stream this week. I was absolutely grinning like a loon to see Nick and Wade talk about my models for even five seconds.

My White Scars on GW's Hobby Roundup

All in all, not bad I think! All that remains from Indomitus for me is the Judiciar, Captain, Bladeguard and Ancient, all of which are at some rough stage of painting now. If things work out I could have them mostly done by the end of Feb, we'll see.