Lovely colours, what's your recipes?
I've been playing around with various methods and for now this is what I've settled on for squad painting.
For the White armour:
1) Basecoat GW Grey Seer
2) Layer GW Ulthuan Grey
3) All over gloss varnish
4) Recess shade GW Basilicanum Grey Contrast, thinned at least 50:50 with acrylic thinner
5) Edge highlights with Liquitex white ink
For the Red:
1) GW Blood Angels Red Contrast applied after the gloss stage above to any areas you want to be red.
2) Recess shade with GW Flesh Tearers Red Contrast, thinned at least 50:50 with acrylic thinner
3) If any of the BAR coat looks uneven on flat areas at this stage, I'll do a quick pass with some thin GW Mephiston Red.
3) Edge highlights with GW Evil Suns Scarlet
I've found myself using Contrast more and more on these guys. Because my basecoat colour is so light it does at least half the shading/highlighting work for me in one coat. (To be honest if I was in a rush I'd just do the one BAR Contrast step for my reds and it'd look fine.) Contrast over a gloss finish is also flowing like magic for me - I've painted just Black Templar into the armour ribbing and it looks great first time, it's a detail I normally hate painting but this way is so quick and painless.
Every model gets at least one solid coat of matte varnish at the end which I find really ties everything together.
Edited by EmpiricalReed, 18 November 2020 - 11:10 AM.