Mortis

Marshal Loss

I'm reading it (my edition made a long time to arrive) and there is something troubling me at the begining of the Part Three :

In the warp, there is a dialogue between Horus and the Emperor.
There is 4 serpent with Horus, the Emperor say to them that they lied to Horus.
It is also stated there is 2 other serpent hidden.

From what I understood, the 4 serpent are the 4 chaos gods, but that would meant there is 2 other gods we don't know who didn't side with horus?
Seems very strange to me.
I'm feeling that I misunderstood something (English is not my native language so it is possible).

How do you understand it ? And please don't spoil it to me if it makes more sense at the end of the book. :tongue.: Edited by Dried

I'm reading it (my edition made a long time to arrive) and there is something troubling me at the begining of the Part Three :

In the warp, there is a dialogue between Horus and the Emperor.

There is 4 serpent with Horus, the Emperor say to them that they lied to Horus.

It is also stated there is 2 other serpent hidden.

From what I understood, the 4 serpent are the 4 chaos gods, but that would meant there is 2 other gods we don't know who didn't side with horus?

Seems very strange to me.

I'm feeling that I misunderstood something (English is not my native language so it is possible).

How do you understand it ? And please don't spoil it to me if it makes more sense at the end of the book. :tongue.:

There are six facets of chaos in the heresy black books - one representing Malal and I forgot the sixth? As John has worked throughout the black book project, one of the 2 could be a subtle allusion to the not-often-discussed chaos power.

Is there a release date for the e-book? I travel a lot and cannot have anything but a iPad for the most part. Thanks

I did do a search and looked at the bL website and dedicated Siege one, it's like they do not want you to know anything they have coming up!

Edited by MarineRaider

Mixed feelings on this one; I probably enjoyed this one the least of the series so far, just because I find Titan combat tedious...

The one Titan thing I found interesting, the deployment of the Psi-titans, was severely underbaked as several people have already pointed out.  We only ever see one Titan and they don't appear to make systemic impression in the Mortis advance - we really needed Dies Irae vs Ordo Sinister.  That being said, I hold out hope that we may see more of them, Rogal Dorn was holding their lion seal at the end of the book.

I also agree that the lack of Mortis (or any traitor POVs) was a missed opportunity.  While they wouldn't have been recognizably human, I think the opportunity to explore whatever they had become almost makes it more interesting.

That being said, I did enjoy most of the non-Titan portions of the book.  I actually enjoy and am invested in the perpetual storyline; I think partly because I came to this series very late they seem less like a foreign imposition into a pre-existing story.  To me, they serve a very useful role of providing context and critical perspective to the emperor and his project.  Outside of them, we have very few characters capable of appreciating and acting on the truly cosmic/metaphysical stakes of this conflict, so I think they helpfully bring that aspect into relief.  I'm also a complete sucker for the mythological references and all the other "deep time" stuff; I absolute love the idea of the Emperor leading the assault that destroys the Tower of Babel.

The Shiban Khan storyline was well written for what it was, but in a series where space is at a premium, and in a book with zero Traitor characters, it seems like a mistake to have given him so much space.  I would've been much happier just giving all that space to the Keeler/Sindemann storyline, since we didn't actually get much progress on that storyline within this volume.

I loved the Dark Angels portion, the Imperator Somnium assault was epic, and I'm excited to see how the Fallen element of this plays out.  However, to echo previous posts, I am completely mystified why the Astronomicon was allowed to fall in the first place.  If Dorn's whole strategy is to buy time for Guillman/Lion to arrive, then keeping the Astronomicon lit has to be the top priority.  And if it was taken, why wasn't Dorn aware, given that we know there's a direct comms link to the palace?  

The Iron Warriors' departure makes sense to me in the abstract, but I'm a little divided on the execution.  First of all, I completely agree that once Perturabo realizes this fight won't allow him to prove himself against Dorn straight up, it serves no purpose.  That being said, daemonic forces had already been crucial to the Traitor strategy several times already, so I'm not sure why those weren't already disqualifying for Perturabo.  On the other hand, you could read the Saturnine gambit as the last opportunity to win the war "straight up," and once that failed Perturabo knew there was no conventional way to win the siege.  However, regardless of when or why Perturabo leaves, I feel like it needed a lot more space to truly represent its importance.  Can we get some reactions from Horus or other Traitor forces still present?  Can we see some Imperial forces noting their departure and modifying their strategy accordingly?  Can we see how some on the ground Iron Warriors feel about the decision?  And we can we see the process of them fighting their way out of the Traitor siege camp?  This, to me, was the book's biggest missed opportunity.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the final stretch of this series.  As French points out in the Afterword, this is a transition novel, and now we can dig into the meat of the endgame, with my 3 favorite BL authors bringing it home.  I'm especially curious to see how the retaking of Lions Gate Spaceport is handled and justified given the desperation of the loyalist position, but I imagine it'll have a lot to do with the withdrawal of the Iron Warriors.

Mixed feelings on this one; I probably enjoyed this one the least of the series so far, just because I find Titan combat tedious...

The one Titan thing I found interesting, the deployment of the Psi-titans, was severely underbaked as several people have already pointed out. We only ever see one Titan and they don't appear to make systemic impression in the Mortis advance - we really needed Dies Irae vs Ordo Sinister. That being said, I hold out hope that we may see more of them, Rogal Dorn was holding their lion seal at the end of the book.

I also agree that the lack of Mortis (or any traitor POVs) was a missed opportunity. While they wouldn't have been recognizably human, I think the opportunity to explore whatever they had become almost makes it more interesting.

That being said, I did enjoy most of the non-Titan portions of the book. I actually enjoy and am invested in the perpetual storyline; I think partly because I came to this series very late they seem less like a foreign imposition into a pre-existing story. To me, they serve a very useful role of providing context and critical perspective to the emperor and his project. Outside of them, we have very few characters capable of appreciating and acting on the truly cosmic/metaphysical stakes of this conflict, so I think they helpfully bring that aspect into relief. I'm also a complete sucker for the mythological references and all the other "deep time" stuff; I absolute love the idea of the Emperor leading the assault that destroys the Tower of Babel.

The Shiban Khan storyline was well written for what it was, but in a series where space is at a premium, and in a book with zero Traitor characters, it seems like a mistake to have given him so much space. I would've been much happier just giving all that space to the Keeler/Sindemann storyline, since we didn't actually get much progress on that storyline within this volume.

I loved the Dark Angels portion, the Imperator Somnium assault was epic, and I'm excited to see how the Fallen element of this plays out. However, to echo previous posts, I am completely mystified why the Astronomicon was allowed to fall in the first place. If Dorn's whole strategy is to buy time for Guillman/Lion to arrive, then keeping the Astronomicon lit has to be the top priority. And if it was taken, why wasn't Dorn aware, given that we know there's a direct comms link to the palace?

The Iron Warriors' departure makes sense to me in the abstract, but I'm a little divided on the execution. First of all, I completely agree that once Perturabo realizes this fight won't allow him to prove himself against Dorn straight up, it serves no purpose. That being said, daemonic forces had already been crucial to the Traitor strategy several times already, so I'm not sure why those weren't already disqualifying for Perturabo. On the other hand, you could read the Saturnine gambit as the last opportunity to win the war "straight up," and once that failed Perturabo knew there was no conventional way to win the siege. However, regardless of when or why Perturabo leaves, I feel like it needed a lot more space to truly represent its importance. Can we get some reactions from Horus or other Traitor forces still present? Can we see some Imperial forces noting their departure and modifying their strategy accordingly? Can we see how some on the ground Iron Warriors feel about the decision? And we can we see the process of them fighting their way out of the Traitor siege camp? This, to me, was the book's biggest missed opportunity.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the final stretch of this series. As French points out in the Afterword, this is a transition novel, and now we can dig into the meat of the endgame, with my 3 favorite BL authors bringing it home. I'm especially curious to see how the retaking of Lions Gate Spaceport is handled and justified given the desperation of the loyalist position, but I imagine it'll have a lot to do with the withdrawal of the Iron Warriors.

Yes totally agree on the Iron Warrior withdraw point needing to be expanded upon. When you think about it, who does Horus have left on the ground who will actually follow orders? The world eaters and emperor's children are likely running around doing whatever they feel like. The Thousand Sons are few in number, so really on The Death Guard and the Son's of Horus who are acting like legions. His forces are still impressive but coordination is going to be harder without Perturabo.

The one Titan thing I found interesting, the deployment of the Psi-titans, was severely underbaked as several people have already pointed out. We only ever see one Titan and they don't appear to make systemic impression in the Mortis advance - we really needed Dies Irae vs Ordo Sinister. That being said, I hold out hope that we may see more of them, Rogal Dorn was holding their lion seal at the end of the book.

I also agree that the lack of Mortis (or any traitor POVs) was a missed opportunity. While they wouldn't have been recognizably human, I think the opportunity to explore whatever they had become almost makes it more interesting.

That being said, I did enjoy most of the non-Titan portions of the book. I actually enjoy and am invested in the perpetual storyline; I think partly because I came to this series very late they seem less like a foreign imposition into a pre-existing story. To me, they serve a very useful role of providing context and critical perspective to the emperor and his project. Outside of them, we have very few characters capable of appreciating and acting on the truly cosmic/metaphysical stakes of this conflict, so I think they helpfully bring that aspect into relief. I'm also a complete sucker for the mythological references and all the other "deep time" stuff; I absolute love the idea of the Emperor leading the assault that destroys the Tower of Babel.

The Shiban Khan storyline was well written for what it was, but in a series where space is at a premium, and in a book with zero Traitor characters, it seems like a mistake to have given him so much space. I would've been much happier just giving all that space to the Keeler/Sindemann storyline, since we didn't actually get much progress on that storyline within this volume.

I loved the Dark Angels portion, the Imperator Somnium assault was epic, and I'm excited to see how the Fallen element of this plays out. However, to echo previous posts, I am completely mystified why the Astronomicon was allowed to fall in the first place. If Dorn's whole strategy is to buy time for Guillman/Lion to arrive, then keeping the Astronomicon lit has to be the top priority. And if it was taken, why wasn't Dorn aware, given that we know there's a direct comms link to the palace?

The Iron Warriors' departure makes sense to me in the abstract, but I'm a little divided on the execution. First of all, I completely agree that once Perturabo realizes this fight won't allow him to prove himself against Dorn straight up, it serves no purpose. That being said, daemonic forces had already been crucial to the Traitor strategy several times already, so I'm not sure why those weren't already disqualifying for Perturabo. On the other hand, you could read the Saturnine gambit as the last opportunity to win the war "straight up," and once that failed Perturabo knew there was no conventional way to win the siege. However, regardless of when or why Perturabo leaves, I feel like it needed a lot more space to truly represent its importance. Can we get some reactions from Horus or other Traitor forces still present? Can we see some Imperial forces noting their departure and modifying their strategy accordingly? Can we see how some on the ground Iron Warriors feel about the decision? And we can we see the process of them fighting their way out of the Traitor siege camp? This, to me, was the book's biggest missed opportunity.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the final stretch of this series. As French points out in the Afterword, this is a transition novel, and now we can dig into the meat of the endgame, with my 3 favorite BL authors bringing it home. I'm especially curious to see how the retaking of Lions Gate Spaceport is handled and justified given the desperation of the loyalist position, but I imagine it'll have a lot to do with the withdrawal of the Iron Warriors.

Yes totally agree on the Iron Warrior withdraw point needing to be expanded upon. When you think about it, who does Horus have left on the ground who will actually follow orders? The world eaters and emperor's children are likely running around doing whatever they feel like. The Thousand Sons are few in number, so really on The Death Guard and the Son's of Horus who are acting like legions. His forces are still impressive but coordination is going to be harder without Perturabo.

That's absolutely right.  I wonder (and I haven't read the Black Legion novels so those may immediately disqualify this thought) if this somehow leads to Abaddon taking on a more central command role.  It wouldn't make a ton of sense why Horus would increase his responsibility after Abaddon got the Mournival and the SoH elite wiped out, but at least this would serve a larger narrative purpose, and I'm not sure who else he could turn to.

This also makes me wonder who our Traitor POVs are going to be down the stretch.  The Iron Warriors were nice to have around partly because they could be relatively relatable and recognizably human POVs.  I'm sure Abaddon, even if he doesn't take on a larger command role, will take center stage again (although it was inexcusable to not have him report back to Horus in this book), and maybe we get some new SoH characters just because we are running out of other people to follow.

That's absolutely right.  I wonder (and I haven't read the Black Legion novels so those may immediately disqualify this thought) if this somehow leads to Abaddon taking on a more central command role.  It wouldn't make a ton of sense why Horus would increase his responsibility after Abaddon got the Mournival and the SoH elite wiped out, but at least this would serve a larger narrative purpose, and I'm not sure who else he could turn to.

This also makes me wonder who our Traitor POVs are going to be down the stretch.  The Iron Warriors were nice to have around partly because they could be relatively relatable and recognizably human POVs.  I'm sure Abaddon, even if he doesn't take on a larger command role, will take center stage again (although it was inexcusable to not have him report back to Horus in this book), and maybe we get some new SoH characters just because we are running out of other people to follow.

I would prefer Abaddon to remain on the sidelines until he leads a counterattack to retrieve Horus' body after the Vengebowl has gone down or whatever. He's done enough already - on Luna, the space port and underneath the Saturnine Wall. I would use him as a POV in the final book, though Argonis would be a better fit as Horus' babysitter IMO

I can see ADB rolling Khârn's roid-rage back a little to be a player in his entry, culminating in the Sigismund beatdown, possibly, but this is grasping at straws. I kinda expect to see Zephon, Land, Diocletian and Lotara though. There's also whatever '''''Actaea''''' is doing

I expect Wraight to go balls deep with his Scars characters. The Khan, Morty, Typhon (would be interesting), Shiban, Naranbaatar, Illya Ravallion, maybe even some Death Guard guys but I doubt we'll get Graham McNeill levels of cameos for someone like Vorx

The final book will be interesting. Is the Emperor entombed at the end of the book? Halfway into the book? Two-thirds? Is the traitor's rout covered in detail or not?

Honestly, the lack of SoH characters at this junction is one of the things that sour me hard on Saturnine. With pretty much every interesting, developed character dead or banished, there's really very little meat to the Sons of Horus left, halfway through the Siege.

Not only is the Mournival, excepting Abaddon, dead, but also Tybalt Marr, who was getting a lot of time to shine and become a big PoV character. Just that he never was in the Siege, he got dropped like an ugly baby.

Lev Goshen is buried alive, Kibre got killed when he by all rights needs to be alive and not extremely possessed for the Black Legion series to make any sense.

Maloghurst is a goner already, and I still don't think Argonis is a particularly interesting character (though a lot of that comes down to how French handled Tallarn past Executioner). Grael Noctua was rolled into Tormageddon.

And I just can't see them drawing on, say, characters from Josh Reynolds' Fabius works, like Skalagrim.

Frankly, this is probably my biggest problem with the Siege as a whole: It either lacks character, or it kills its most interesting characters off so quickly, that they have no room to breathe or interact.

The same can be observed on the loyalist side too, of course, especially in Saturnine.

And to then fail to provide PoVs for established traitor formations that have been around SINCE BOOK ONE..... It's flabberghasting.

Looking at Mortis releasing on Saturday and letting me read the thing for myself, I've never been less excited for a Siege novel.

Haley's Titandeath was great fun to me because of its characters, who made me care for the Titan combat - and I honestly don't even care much for mecha in my anime. It's something I'd more likely avoid than put on my watchlist.

Considering that I came away from shorts like Ordo Sinister and The Ember Wolves feeling pretty unengaged, I can't see Mortis going over well when one side of the battle isn't even properly represented. The Siege is haemorrhaging established characters.

No matter how I look at it, the Heresy managed to pull me in with its characters, not the bolters or Titans. The big climactic battles are best when they supplement the narrative and character drama, not the other way around. Say what you will about divisive books like The Damnation of Pythos, but I had characters to care about there who hadn't just been introduced in a Black Book I won't ever own a copy of and have to wiki instead, if even that.

It honestly doesn't look like Mortis does anything to fix that situation. If anything, it just drives it further home.

i'd probably feel the same way if the HH (or tbf the parts i'd read) hadn't dropped the ball with the SoH roster. by the time of saturnine they were a bunch of named characters i had little attachment to, so i was fine with the game of thrones style dispatching.

but i also enjoy character arcs that get cut short of expectations in that cormac mccarthy/ grr martin way

Edited by mc warhammer

I’m expecting the SoH to play the lead role from the traitors going forward. The next book better would be better dealing with the collapse of the warmasters armies and certainly give that more attention than mortis does. Yes there have been significant losses for the Sons but it should be that way. The siege series should see characters dropping like flies and new characters emerge and I think they have done a good job with that so far.

Mortis annoyed me, in an 8 book series with a story like this you can’t afford wasted space. This felt like that to some extent. Pages and pages wasted on nothing, good plots given little coverage. But for me the series, ignoring Mortis, has been fabulous and I’ve enjoyed it infinitely more than the majority of the heresy books. A lot of that probably has to do with the inclusion of plenty of characters from outside the space marine bubble.Given D.Cs thoughts on perpetuals I’m looking forward to his thoughts on them in Mortis. I’ve enjoyed them up to now but really really disliked them in Mortis.

Honestly, the lack of SoH characters at this junction is one of the things that sour me hard on Saturnine. With pretty much every interesting, developed character dead or banished, there's really very little meat to the Sons of Horus left, halfway through the Siege.

Not only is the Mournival, excepting Abaddon, dead, but also Tybalt Marr, who was getting a lot of time to shine and become a big PoV character. Just that he never was in the Siege, he got dropped like an ugly baby.

Lev Goshen is buried alive, Kibre got killed when he by all rights needs to be alive and not extremely possessed for the Black Legion series to make any sense.

Maloghurst is a goner already, and I still don't think Argonis is a particularly interesting character (though a lot of that comes down to how French handled Tallarn past Executioner). Grael Noctua was rolled into Tormageddon.

And I just can't see them drawing on, say, characters from Josh Reynolds' Fabius works, like Skalagrim.

Frankly, this is probably my biggest problem with the Siege as a whole: It either lacks character, or it kills its most interesting characters off so quickly, that they have no room to breathe or interact.

The same can be observed on the loyalist side too, of course, especially in Saturnine.

And to then fail to provide PoVs for established traitor formations that have been around SINCE BOOK ONE..... It's flabberghasting.

Looking at Mortis releasing on Saturday and letting me read the thing for myself, I've never been less excited for a Siege novel.

Haley's Titandeath was great fun to me because of its characters, who made me care for the Titan combat - and I honestly don't even care much for mecha in my anime. It's something I'd more likely avoid than put on my watchlist.

Considering that I came away from shorts like Ordo Sinister and The Ember Wolves feeling pretty unengaged, I can't see Mortis going over well when one side of the battle isn't even properly represented. The Siege is haemorrhaging established characters.

No matter how I look at it, the Heresy managed to pull me in with its characters, not the bolters or Titans. The big climactic battles are best when they supplement the narrative and character drama, not the other way around. Say what you will about divisive books like The Damnation of Pythos, but I had characters to care about there who hadn't just been introduced in a Black Book I won't ever own a copy of and have to wiki instead, if even that.

It honestly doesn't look like Mortis does anything to fix that situation. If anything, it just drives it further home.

Superb post

I thought Saturnine was amazing in some respects and pretty shabby in others. The Cadwalder-Nibboran bromance at the Eternity Wall Space Port might've been spot on, but Abnett executing reems and reems of characters who deserved better certainly wasn't

Call me a fool, but I still have hope Wraight-ADB-Abnett can knock it out of the park if they're given the chance, but I'm worried they're going to be bogged down with Sindermann and Keeler having coffee together or whatever it is they do

While by the very nature of a siege this series was always going to be action heavy, but it is such a fulcrum moment for the lore that we definitely need the quiet moments to explain the foundations of what came next.

So for me “Sindermann and Keeler having coffee together” is kind of a good thing (depending on execution).

Edited by DukeLeto69

that's totally fair to expect, especially since adb basically promised that online before the siege books dropped.

i'm just trying to think of what hits need to be played and which have been subverted?

* lunar bases fall and solar battleflleet scattered

* civil war on mars

* emperor's army holding against horus hoping for reinforcement from space borne loyal legions

* 3 primarchs defend the palace (4 is the subversion but like alphaius' death it's done in a way that doesn't affect the overall tale)

* angron, mortarion, fulgrim, magnus all present

* fulgrim and the EC go off for a picnic

* spaceports fall

* traitor titans break through the palace walls

* white scars retake lions gate

* loyalists fail to retake eternity wall

* sanguinnius holds ultimate gate, breaking a bloodthirster's back

* rogal sends his sky fortress to retrieve jaghatai to the palace but it's destroyed

* warmaster decides against porting down to terra when he receives news that loyalist legions are hours away, drops vengeful spirit shields instead

* emp + sang + rogal + loyalist forces teleport to the VS

* sang fights his way to throne room, horus tries to turn him, sang refuses, horus kills him

* emp finds horus and sang's body

* maybe a guard/custode/imperial fist rush horus and is obliterated in front of emp's eyes (the william king account i read left this out completely)

* emp obliterates horus

* traitor legions pack it up and go home

is that more or less it? maybe i'm being optimistic, but it seems like that's mostly going to happen/has happened?

Edited by mc warhammer

So...uh.... did they actually delay the Mortis audiobook and strike it from the BL website for now?

I was wondering the same as I was excited to wake this morning to purchase. Not only am I disappointed, but worried it may not reach audio for awhile.

It'd help if they at least acknowledged this via, say, WarCom, but there hasn't even been an article about today's releases. The only thing they posted has been about the Print on Demand HH Hardback backlog.

Thankfully this is the book I'm least excited for so far, so I'll just listen to Cain and stuff outside of the Black Library range, but it's extremely inconvenient.