Excindio-class Battle-Automata vs Leviathan

RoadRunna

Ok Excindio-class Battle-Automata  and the Leviathan both take up a Heavy spot and are about the same points cost...  Excindio looks like a real beast in CC given its 4 base + 1 for extra DDCW +2 special manipulator attacks as base.  Both have "nipple guns" plus a Hvy weapon of choice.

Levi can of course be deployed via drop-pod whereas the Excindo has to run across the battlefield taking hits along the way but T7 and W6 3+/5+ helps in this regard..

Which is the preferred choice for these two engines of destruction?

Please discuss...

Everyone can field Leviathans, but only the First can field the Exindio. That alone is enough reason for me to go for the Exindio... if it were not for the fact that the Exindio has no model.

The model, especially the base size, could make the whole difference. If the base is smalll enough to fit in Zone Mortalis, then that would make the Exindio a clear winner over the Leviathan, if not then I think it would depend on loadout. The Drop Pod is a huge advantage after all.

As the Excindo has the same Sth and T as a Castallax I expect that it will have a 40mm base.  The Thanatar which is Sth8 T8 has the larger 60m base

I would expect that Alpha Legion could take one as a Coils of the Hydra choice.

The Thanatar is on an Oval 90mm x 120mm Base, the Castellax is on a 60mm.

30k-admech-bfg-7.jpg

Edited by Slips

For me, rule of cool and legion flavour are the most important factors. 

Strictly speaking from a rules standpoint, I prefer monstrous creatures to walkers, the fact that a single shot can take out a leviathan is always a big worry, on the flipside you can 'bolter' a T7 monstrous creature to death :D 

For me, rule of cool and legion flavour are the most important factors. 

Strictly speaking from a rules standpoint, I prefer monstrous creatures to walkers, the fact that a single shot can take out a leviathan is always a big worry, on the flipside you can 'bolter' a T7 monstrous creature to death :biggrin.:

The leviathan can take armored ceramite, so it's unlikely to be offed in one shot unless it's caught from behind (but that's a given for all vehicles). My main issue with the Leviathan is that it's overpriced.

However, I don't know how to fix the issue beacause the Leviathan is incredebly popular: any attempt to make it cost effective would only result in it being spammed.

Edited by The Scorpion

Leviathans are only over priced if you foot slog them. Drop leviathans are far and away worth their cost.

Excindio can do work as pure melee, but has the disadvantage of being able to be wounded by anything str 4 compared to the leviathans str 7. Anti tank weapons need 2s and 3s instead of 4s and 5s, which is then let down by its worse invul. Also it can go bezerk.

If I played DA I'd definitely give them a try especially considering some very tragic Explodes! my leviathan has suffered. But as NL player I don't feel nearly as intimidated by Excindio.

It has great amount of attacks so melee-blender seems like a potent choice but its stats fall short of making it truly durable. If only it had T8 or 2+ or 4++ things might look different. It won't explode but it will fell prey to all sorts of weapons that Levy would just ignore. And Levy would not be cut down by a simple blob of Tacticals from the VIIIth in one turn or any self respecting veterans or elites even with just swords. Add in a not so insignificant chance to go berzerk or have its ehhh...head?...cortex? chopped off by a paragon blade straight away and it does not bode well.

It's sad but I would deem 3 Castellaxes a way greater danger than Excindio. That being said, I'm sure you can use Automata to great effect, as it's combat prowess is terryfing, aside from it being a fluffy choice too. And it has some interesting, if esoteric guns - i particularly like the lance-pulse shock one. I just don't like the high cost in relation to risk involved and suboptimal durability.

Don't forget Excindio have a 1/6 chance of freaking out and attacking the closest models if they take a wound during a turn. Which basically means if you get unlucky on your first turn or two your 300 point beast is just gunna let loose on your own army.

I know it's only 1/6th IF the excindio took a wound but I'm not sure if that risk is worth the model for it's cost. I've always thought it should be a bit cheaper.

Safer bet is definitely the Levi but rule of cool I'd definitely go with Excindio unless the models turn out to be horrendous.

Edited by ShadowCore67