Liber Play-By-Post Participation Project Ideas

Trokair

Bring the gaming side in. Create online tournaments, painting competitions and army builds that either require or reward people to have a fleshed out Liber-stamped/worked through article along with their list/models.

It's funny you should say that - In my head I've been kicking an idea around for a thread that can be roughly summed up as "Liber Astartes kill-teams running around and hunting monsters, via the medium of play-by-post moves on a virtual battlefield".

Broadly, the idea was taken from a game held long ago (almost a decade back, I think) in the Space Wolves forum, where packs of marines went out hunting Fenrisian Kraken, and there was much telling of sagas and stories before and after moves. Granted, it's the Space Wolves, so a lot of it was about how drunk they were, but the idea could easily be leveraged for a Liber task force, replacing "staggering from the inhuman amount of ale consumed" to "behaving appropriately for their Chapter and/or adjusting their behaviour to better suit the Legio's requirements". :biggrin.:

Adding a requirement for people to have posted and/or recently updated information for the Chapter they're representing wouldn't be too hard.

Of course I'd have to work out all the rules, and the terrain, and all the other minutiae of setting up such an endeavour, which will probably take me a whole year or two, but the idea's been there for a little while.

I took part in something similar on another forum years ago. We each had roughly 100p (or thereabouts) of units from the IG each with a designated character (such as a sergeant, or in my case an enginseer) as our individual PoV and would narrate our units actions through a campaign.

Battles where fought on a grid with marked terrain and so on and the GM would make all the dice rolls that you had declared and move markers for the units on the map. He even had small cardboard constructions for terrain and vehicles. 

There would also be time at the staging posts where it was more casual just in character chat/actions/engagement with other participants.

I would be interested in such a play by post campaign again.

I took part in something similar on another forum years ago. We each had roughly 100p (or thereabouts) of units from the IG each with a designated character (such as a sergeant, or in my case an enginseer) as our individual PoV and would narrate our units actions through a campaign.

Battles where fought on a grid with marked terrain and so on and the GM would make all the dice rolls that you had declared and move markers for the units on the map. He even had small cardboard constructions for terrain and vehicles. 

There would also be time at the staging posts where it was more casual just in character chat/actions/engagement with other participants.

I would be interested in such a play by post campaign again.

I'm thinking *broadly* along those lines, except each person gets control of one Space Marine and gets to pick a couple of customisation options from what will probably be a short list. :sweat: :laugh.:

Mostly what I need is a decent map to work with, and then I'll try and see if I can make this idea float (after running it all past the mods first, of course) - I've got a rough idea of the lore/story for it.

Leave it with me, anyway - I'm bound to get a day off at some point* and then maybe I'll see what can be done.

* Maybe even before the Great Crusade launches, if I'm lucky. :tongue.:

I'm just popping back in to temper everyone's expectations a little, since this isn't something I can actually do right now. :ermm:

The next few months of my life are likely to be... eventful, at the very least, and I don't know quite how long it'll be before everything settles down afterwards.
So right now, there's nothing to sign up to. :sweat: I'll be sure to let everyone know when I get the chance to actually progress with this idea, but it's gonna take a while.

Unless anyone else wants to take the idea ball and run with it, in which case... carry on! :laugh.:

Just browsing by, but I would recommend checking out the Play by Post subforum in the RPG subforum of the Other Games section if the B&C. If you haven’t already - it is so fringe that some us forget about the ongoing PBP games there ;p

If nothing else, it is worth checking on the amazing ideas and work the Game Masters, Commissar Molotov and Mazer Rackham, have put out for sheer inspiration! 

And a rules light / telling of tall tales for the Liber section sounds also interesting. Think I‘ll keep an eye on this.

Ace Debonair, no worries, let us know when you are ready, and if I have time then I would like to take part.

Just browsing by, but I would recommend checking out the Play by Post subforum in the RPG subforum of the Other Games section if the B&C. If you haven’t already - it is so fringe that some us forget about the ongoing PBP games there ;p

I did not even know/notice that that was there. It is not visible from the main page and while in theory I should have spotted it when looking at other “other” games (AT or Necromunda) I probably always went direct to them. I have not had the facility/opportunity to play pen & paper RPGs for most of my hobby life so never looked in there. Will have a look now.

Edit: Had a look now, and will keep it in mind, though it is much more rules focused and I think I would rather play in something more narrative rules light.

Edited by Trokair

I agree that the PBP forum is very easy to miss, especially on mobile. We have discussed that a while back and we’re also wondering if there would not be more interest and participation especially from folks using / contributing to the Liber.

I admit that I stumbled upon this thread only because I saw the new thread header as I have a tendency to sort of forget about the Liber  in a sort of reverse way. Which is why I thought I‘d jump in to raise the flag for the RPG forum ;)

Also agree that the Fantasy Flight Game 40K are quite “old school” with lots of tables and modifiers and stuff that is very clunky in it’s rule set even if they did a great work on fluff and attempting to capture the mood. 

Which is why I find the idea of a more rules light / narrative focused attempt intriguing...

I can easily see something set up in a way of campfire tales where the characters  are telling the tale and the players develop a story along that...

A pack of Space Wolves might literally be around a fire, each one telling their version of their last mission. Mourning the fallen, making jibs and either praising their fellows or trying to wind them up...

A more diverse group  might come together in a Watchfotress, telling tales of their previous missions or from their chapters.

Imagine what tales could be told by a group from the Black Legion ... from the heresy, the scouring, the time in Eye, the Black Crusades... 

you could base a campaign during the heresy and have people tell the view from loyalist and traitor view, guard, legion or even Custodes viewpoint... the 40K settings are so big that even when fighting in the same battle, characters do not have to face each other - so can have that but do not have to. And avoid bruised egos if a failed save ruins another players saga...

The more narrative approach would also allow a more open cast of characters as the balancing and power level of characters are easier integrated. I doubt MKoll can outsmart and outfight three Astartes in a FFG combat session even with some really lucky dice rolling... but as a story, it works just fine.

It would take a lot of work and he’ll of a GM (team) to develop and moderate that... 

• 2 weeks later...

Commissar Molotov is recruiting for potential players over in the RPG section. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368604-lfpdw-deathwatch-pbp-recruitment-thread/

While it will be more rules heavy then I think we discussed here they said that they can help players with no/little rules knowledge. So may be worth checking out, I am certainly going to give it a go if they will have me.

Edit: Fixed link, now goes to the beginning of that thread and not part way through it. 

Edited by Trokair

• 6 months later...

Hello fellow Liberites,

I'm adding a quick post here to mention that I'm currently looking for a few new players to fill a couple of character slots for the upcoming second Episode of "To Plunder the Stars Themselves", the PBP game I'm running based around the infamous Iron Gods pirates (IT is in the Showcase).

The game is played using the Deathwatch RPG rules (with a few little mods for making renegade Characters!) so experience with that game is useful... but by no means essential!

If anyone would be interested in joining us, have a look at the recruitment thread:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/371141-plunder-episode-ii-recruitment/

and give me a PM?

• 4 weeks later...