Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unit of the week series: Plague Marines

- - - - - Death Guard Unit of the Week

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

For clarity, I was being sarcastic about the loss of the 5+++ speeding up the game.  I am in the camp that the change to DR eliminated a lot of the "Fun" of playing Death Guard.  Plague Marines play like old first born loyalist marines but with a less interesting doctrines.  The rarity in which DR factors into Plague Marines on the table has stolen the heart of what made the faction unique.  

• Azekai likes this

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,141 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard

Agreed. T5 used to be a big deal- S4 only got your PMs wounded on 5+, and S3 only got you on 6+. That went away, and now we don't even have our good old FnP.  Then, as I was concerned about, the powercreep took off only a couple of books later, after us, marines and crons. Its *almost* like they aren't interested in a balanced game. If you look at the tournament level, it seems straight up pay to win, but even for garage games I would hate to unleash some of these codexes on my friends.

It feels really bad when it seems like they went out of their way to limit synergies and choice in our book and then admech come out with so much stackable synergy they can sweep the table with over buffed skitarii.

• MCB82 likes this

Corruption is our armor. Infection is our weapon. Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01e.jpggallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 647 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
The new DR might save the DG player time rolling dice, but when your opponents use multi-damage weapons (i.e. d3 or d6) they have to roll them one at a time, subtract 1, check to see if they killed a model, repeat. If we happen to have the surgeon nearby they have to pause while we roll our FNP. Just an observation.

Now I, like others, have a nice collection of Plague Marines and want to play them, but I play more towards the competitive side. I have access to the drop pod, I also have a drill, and a couple rhinos. Transports are nice, but once they are exposed they pretty much die. So we only get one good punch with them before we lose all the points invested. On top of that seasoned players will screen them out, making it even more difficult to get our points back.
As an example in one list I have 740 points invested in 10 PMs, 2 characters, and the drill. When they pop out they kill their target(s) which is great, but it’s not 740 points worth. Then in my opponents turn they can commit very little dealing with them and in the end I may have killed only half of what it cost me. An alternative is to spend an extra 50 points and bring 20 Blightlords. While they may not kill as much the turn they arrive my opponent will have to commit way more dealing with them and I should earn their point back.
I am going to play a few games with the drop pod, being able to do a turn 1 strike might make a big enough difference to be worth it.
  • brother_b likes this

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 327 posts
  • Faction: CSM
Even rhough I am in the camp of plagie marine bashing (they/their upgrades need to be cheaper) I have had much success with my plague marines in a competitive enivironment. I allways play a 10 man swuad with max shootiness next to a tallyman with relic. They hit on a 2+ with rerolls from a lord or DP you are getting a lot of D2 hits on elite targets. Last game against orks they took out ~ 10 boyz, 5MANZ and a gretchin kannon, while also holding an objective and scoring engage for me. The thing is that no one shoots them untill late in the game cause I have a 10man blightlord unit pushing the centre and from turn 2 I drop in some deathshroud so the enemy allways ignores my plaguemarines and they can shoot stuff up with overcharged plasma.

I think next game I will go terminus est and posibly try out a fully kitted CC squad comming out of deepstrike.

Armies:

40k: Deathguard, Steel Legion, Word Bearers, Space wolves, Necrons

WFB: Night goblins, Empire, Dark Elves

Relentless

Relentless

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters, DG, IF, IG

I've had a lot of success with what I like to call the bomb squad.  I put a 5man squad (can do barebones but I like adding CC weapons) and a biologus in a rhino.  They hop out, use the blightening strat to nuke a unit off an objective and then charge in and use foul infusion (and usually trench fighters) to clear any survivors.  Lots of fun and tends to catch your opponent off guard if they're not familiar with DG

World Eaters 3000pts

Death Guard 2000pts

Imperial Fists 3000pts

Imperial Guard 3500pts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death Guard Unit of the Week

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users