Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alpharius

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,451 posts
This sounds really good and I'm not even an AL fan. Just really interesting expansion of the XXth built on FW fluff...

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,736 posts

Looks like we're still not getting an answer about

Spoiler

A bit disappointed about that, but at least the overall spoilers sound pretty good. More eager to read this one than Mortis, actually.

• Kelborn likes this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts

Spoiler

triplet theory confirmed j/k

though...

Spoiler

Edited by mc warhammer, 25 January 2021 - 08:19 AM.

• Kelborn likes this

It always amused me that the GW Mail Order ‘Trolls’ as we (starting with me) had always styled ourselves insisted as being rebranded ‘Space Marines’. Why anyone would want to be associated with semi-lobotomized, hypnotically indoctrinated slave-soldiers in thrall to an uncaring (and possibly non-existent) god I couldn’t imagine. - Rick Priestley

RikuEru

RikuEru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,292 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
Is there still some ambiguity left or is it definitive fact? (Or as close as it can get to from an in-universe point of view)

q6c0AMP.pngUZREYOk.pngrm0hCox.png4bqeAKq.pngSuMQ47R.png

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts

apparently it starts and ends by saying

Spoiler

so...maybe?

It always amused me that the GW Mail Order ‘Trolls’ as we (starting with me) had always styled ourselves insisted as being rebranded ‘Space Marines’. Why anyone would want to be associated with semi-lobotomized, hypnotically indoctrinated slave-soldiers in thrall to an uncaring (and possibly non-existent) god I couldn’t imagine. - Rick Priestley

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,910 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
He straight up said on Twitter he can’t believe they let him do it, so take that as you will.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Crix

Crix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 324 posts
Spoiler

Edited by Crix, 26 January 2021 - 05:28 AM.

• aa.logan and ST.Lazarus like this

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts
  • Faction: 40k: CW, SW, BA. 30k: EC, TS

Spoiler

so...maybe?

Wait a sec...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Eh.... It actually comes from Extermination, FW Book 3.

All Legions were an Alpha Legion at some point, no joke.

Very Alpharius. 

Jokes aside though, it just means that a Legion has advanced beyond the lab-testing phase to the point of initial induction but has yet to be cleared to be put into full production. The Alpha Legion never officially moved beyond that point until Alpharius was found and a full Legion suddenly came out of the woodwork.

Have a lovely daybiggrin.png

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,961 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion
I'm sorry but even if 50% of these spoilers are correct (I don't doubt them!) then I'm out. There's no way I'm buying or reading this. It just genuinely sounds like an author trying to shoe horn his own concept into an established storyline (Horus being the 1st primarch discovered etc) in a cack handed way to draw attention to his own poorly conceived work.
Kudos to those that can stomach it though.

BCC
  • Black Blow Fly likes this
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,640 posts
I rather like the idea of the story being told by Alpharius himself and being a mix of truths, secrets and lies. It's then left to the reader to try and make sense of it all.

If overused, it would be really annoying but for a single book about the most duplicitous Primarch, I could see it working if done well.

Edited by Karhedron, 26 January 2021 - 09:07 AM.

• mc warhammer likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,243 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

I'm sorry but even if 50% of these spoilers are correct (I don't doubt them!) then I'm out. There's no way I'm buying or reading this. It just genuinely sounds like an author trying to shoe horn his own concept into an established storyline (Horus being the 1st primarch discovered etc) in a cack handed way to draw attention to his own poorly conceived work.

BCC

Must have hated legion too lol

Ingo Pech

Ingo Pech

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion, Iron Hands, Imperial Fists

BCC

Some of what was mentioned in the spoilers regarding Alpharius´ past comes more or less from the FW book "Extermination". So it´s not Brooks´ fundamental idea.

Spoiler

• mc warhammer, Sandlemad, Noserenda and 7 others like this

"I am the Emperor´s loyal servant, and through me his will and vengeance will be done!" - Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Iron Tenth (Iron Hands)

animal310

animal310

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts

Is there still some ambiguity left or is it definitive fact? (Or as close as it can get to from an in-universe point of view)

Spoiler

so...maybe?

That's not really wholly accurate. 

Spoiler

BCC

You are of course free to disagree or not like what is written (although I would recommend waiting until you have actually read it), there are many things in the Horus Heresy series which I think have been handled poorly, but this is not one of them.

However to say that this is the author "trying to shoe horn his own concept in a cack handed way to draw attention to his own poorly conceived work" is fundamentally wrong. As I explained above this book is heavily influenced by the pre-eminent background writer for the whole setting. 

Spoiler

Edited by animal310, 26 January 2021 - 10:25 AM.

• mc warhammer, Sandlemad, Noserenda and 6 others like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts
thank you for the context, animal310

can you give some to:

Spoiler

if it is, then that's my head canon that i've discussed here a few times confirmed.

Edited by mc warhammer, 26 January 2021 - 10:16 AM.

animal310

animal310

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts

thank you for the context, animal310

can you give some to:

Spoiler

if it is, then that's my head canon that i've discussed here a few times confirmed.

Spoiler

• mc warhammer, Lucerne, Ingo Pech and 2 others like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts
i dig it. and it makes sense
  • Felix Antipodes and animal310 like this

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,961 posts
Hey, agree to disagree guys. It’s the Internet after all. Personally that’s just how I feel.

And no, I did really enjoy Legion. That’s a great book written by a great author. But from what I gather this doesn’t appeal to me or how I feel Alpha Legion always have been. But hey like I said, it’s the Internet. ;)

BCC
BCC's Hobby Guide:

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,243 posts

Hey, agree to disagree guys. It’s the Internet after all. Personally that’s just how I feel.

And no, I did really enjoy Legion. That’s a great book written by a great author. But from what I gather this doesn’t appeal to me or how I feel Alpha Legion always have been. But hey like I said, it’s the Internet. ;)

BCC

But the entire book is an author trying to shoe horn his own concept into an established storyline (two primarchs for one legion, alpha legion being secretly loyal) in a cack handed way to draw attention to his own poorly conceived work. The entire book builds to the reveal that surprise, there's two primarchs. Oh and thet know all about the heresy and it's actually what the emperor would want them to do so they're good guys.
  • Dosjetka likes this

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,961 posts
Quoting myself back “against” myself to prove a point about another book isn’t what’s on discussion here. ;)

Also you’re missing the point. In my own opinion which may only matter to me, based on the facts others have kindly given us through reading the book, these are the conclusions I have drawn and that’s about it.

Legion is a separate discussion. On what I’ve heard and looked at about this new book it’s purely how I feel. Your review of Legion is your own and probably better centred somewhere else within our Black Library sub forum buddy. :)

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus, 26 January 2021 - 01:02 PM.

BCC's Hobby Guide:

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts
not to ruin a good abnett bash...but weren't the twins an alan merrett thing?

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,243 posts

Quoting myself back “against” myself to prove a point about another book isn’t what’s on discussion here. ;)

Also you’re missing the point. In my own opinion which may only matter to me, based on the facts others have kindly given us through reading the book, these are the conclusions I have drawn and that’s about it.

Legion is a separate discussion. On what I’ve heard and looked at about this new book it’s purely how I feel. Your review of Legion is your own and probably better centred somewhere else within our Black Library sub forum buddy. :)

BCC

You missed my point. The core complaint you seem to have in that he's making stuff up applies to almost every book in the series. Abnett writes great books, but makes stuff up left and right that has fundamental impacts on the lore that other authors have to address.

This changes nothing. If it's an ego trip trying to push his own stuff, then it's an oddly considerate one that really doesn't matter at all.

Love the off-topic claims to avoid substantiating your point. It's a real classic.
  • Sandlemad, Lucerne and DarkChaplain like this

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,961 posts
I’ve hardly avoided substantiating my point at all. My points extremely clear from my first post buddy. :)

BCC
  • mc warhammer likes this
BCC's Hobby Guide:

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,821 posts

No need to argue, guys & gals - what will matter is (eventually for most of us) actually having the book in hand and reading it ourselves. Disclaiming something because of spoilers doesn't really help get to the text, and why it works/doesn't. 

Anyway, very excited for this book - Road to Redemption and Wanted: Dead were great, esp. the latter, and Extermination was wonderful for how Alan Bligh (and French and Wyllie and Hoare, depending on who wrote what in the AL section) danced on all those ideas of the XXth from Abnett's excellent work to older ideas. 

• Felix Antipodes, mc warhammer, Kelborn and 1 other like this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,243 posts
The point of your initial post was that the post was your subjective opinion? Because it seemed to be that it was an author ruining an established concept with his own ideas to draw attention to himself. My question is how is this the book that creates that impression compared to...the rest of them.
  • aa.logan and DarkChaplain like this

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,672 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders 2nd Company

50 pages into it and I have to say it's my favorite of the series so far

• battle captain corpus, aa.logan and The Observer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users