Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How are you finding new DG "on the table"?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
I think transports can be useful depending on the mission. They may also help your army if you’re relying on a mobile army for your secondaries. One of my latest games I didn’t need mobility and so I didn’t take transports. I do have a list that I built around certain secondaries and included a rhino and a drill. It really all depends on what you want your army to accomplish.
I also like flamer type weapons with certain builds, if I plan on jumping out and flaming I don’t expect to get a charge off, but I plan on being able to overwatch and take some models out on their way in. That’s what I like about our codex, you have options depending on what you like or how you want to play.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts
I had a good game against DE today, he conceded turn 3.5. Morty was able to stay safe the first 3 turns and I used him to do psychic ritual before he got dug in. By this point I had lost a unit of 20 Poxwalkers, 2 PBCs, 1 Deathshroud, and 2 PMs. I had scored 15 for PR then would score 10 for WWSWF, 12 for Vital Ground, and 45 for Primary. He was only going to score 20 primary, 0 for Vital Ground, 0 for assassinate, and 0 or 10 for Deploy Scramblers.
I was running 3 PBCs, 2 with cannons and 1 with spitters. So my 3 WWSWFs were Morty and the the 2 cannons. I ran the spitter one up the board and he had to take that one out first, the 3 mortars killed the units that could Deploy Scramblers limiting what he could bring at me.
He is going to adjust his list and we are to play later this week before a tournament this weekend, so I may not do so good. I will let you all know.
  • Dr_Ruminahui likes this

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

Thanks Ninja.  How did you approach securing the primaries before the DE units?

I've had a very different experience playing vs DE although both games were Incursion 1k games rather than 2k.  In both, despite going first I was not able to advance up on the primary in T1.  The DE player, playing Cult of Strife was able to use their speed and MSU units to both charge my advancing units while other units secured the objectives.  Between Heat and Dark lances sniping my terminators (DE being able to fall back and charge is brutal) and Wytches supported by a Succubus hitting like a freight train I was unable to push those units off my lines in a single fight phase.  As a result my forward push stalled and the DE player easily took board control to rack up Primary points.

In Game 1 I was actually tabled in T3.  In Game 2 I managed to survive the game but only scored 10 primary points (Domination scoring so +5 for hold 2, +5 for 3, etc).  My Blightlords spent the whole game stuck in melee combat just outside my deployment zone.  Wytches, with their 4++ invul are surprisingly resilient in melee and by the time my BL cleared them the next wave charged in.  At the same time Heat Lance Reavers made could use of terrain and their speed to get behind my lines to snipe and charge my characters.  It was a very effective game plan, as I spent the game fighting around my deployment zone while the DE player racked up Primary points with their board control.

We could use a separate forum just for dealing with the DE menace!

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts
During deployment he went strong one side and had planned on his Helions to go grab the objective on the opposite side with not much support. While he did deploy them out of LoS, I put all my mortars into them, he made them -1 to hit, but I still was able to take out all but 3. I had been able to advance a unit of Poxwalkers up and by turn 2 a second unit. He had a Ravenger he was going to use, but I was able get both PBCs w/entropy lined up on it and took it out.
So he went all in on the other objective which I had gotten another unit of Poxwalkers on and my flamer PBC close to. I could have advanced it, but I wanted to use it’s mortar (which paid off). He cleared both of those but I countered next turn with Deathshroud and characters. I was able to pop a raider in my turn with my Plaguecaster with the skull, a smite, and curse. The Deathshroud and Blightspawn flamed the contents. This gave me the objective back. His response was emptying out another one and charging in with a lot of stuff including a damaged raider. He made my Deathshroud fight last and I made his squad fight last. I had also heroically intervened with my caster into the raider. He was only able to kill 1.66 Deathshroud, while my caster took out the damaged raider and the DS killed some troops.
Turn 3 my caster did work on some more troops, I had wounded most of his big fliers, then Morty was able to join in along with my second unit of DS. By this time he had a full raider going towards the other objective, but he had to decide if he should use them to deploy his last scrambler or attack 2 units of Poxwalkers.
That’s when he called it and we talked it out. He said he was hoping I would ignore the weak side, so it was a gamble for both of us, I just chose correctly in the end. Had I not destroyed that first Ravenger and Helions it would have been a different game. It also helped that he had to put all his big shots into the flamer PBC, had he left it I would have been in a really good spot. That left me both PBCs w/entropy to slow him down removing his speed advantage.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 03 May 2021 - 02:32 PM.

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 927 posts

I think transports can be useful depending on the mission. They may also help your army if you’re relying on a mobile army for your secondaries. One of my latest games I didn’t need mobility and so I didn’t take transports. I do have a list that I built around certain secondaries and included a rhino and a drill. It really all depends on what you want your army to accomplish.
I also like flamer type weapons with certain builds, if I plan on jumping out and flaming I don’t expect to get a charge off, but I plan on being able to overwatch and take some models out on their way in. That’s what I like about our codex, you have options depending on what you like or how you want to play.

I like the idea of Flame builds, do you have a squad set up that you usually go to for this?
Battle Tracker for my White Scars (Swindon 2008): Games this year 5 - Wins 2, Losses 2, Draws 1

Opponents:
Grey Knights 0/ 1/ 0 Imperial Guard 1/ 0/ 0
Eldar - 0/ 1/ 0 Crimson Fists 0/ 0/ 1
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 633 posts
In the drill I run the Putrifier w/Arch-contaminator, the Blightspawn w/vats, and then a squads of PMs. Champ w/plasma, 2 blight launcher, 2 spewers, 2 flail, 2 cleaver, and 1 melta. With a couple strats I can throw 18+d6 grenades (from the 4 melee) plus have all that shooting.
If I’m going for WWSWF, I split that unit into 2 dropping the melta for a fist on the second champ. Same strats and depending on your target, just throw 18 grenades or the extra d6. I usually throw the extra grenade if the unit is big enough to take advantage of the blast rule. The second unit can perform an action if need be or also shoot.
If possible I drop a LoC with Ferric Blight and cast Gift of Plagues on him. Now they are all rerolling 1’s to hit, rerolling all to wound with plague weapons, all at an additional -1AP, at targets that are -1T.

Edited by McElMcNinja, 06 May 2021 - 01:20 PM.

• Jorgend Lupus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users