+Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2021: Event AAR (p.7)+

Dosjetka

I can go ahead and do another White Talon. As it happens, I was working on a second WT (a Warp Talon) for the 2019 LASC, but the deadline pounced on me before I could submit it. So I can just finish that up and submit it for this challenge.

However, Since I've got a lot of my hobby hardware out of storage and a place to paint and build now, I'm up for building one or more additional models if Brother Dos is amenable and we have some chapter/warbands not covered yet in this phase of the challenge.

All Chapters/Warbands are covered but if you'd like, I can randomly pick another one or multiple Chapters/Warbands for you if you'd like to do some extra. :smile.:

So long as all Chapters and Warbands are covered, I'm fine with what I've got. But, if anyone runs into a problem, and can't finish a project, I'll be happy to step in. Just give me a week's notice before the deadline though:wink:

For the Dawn Blades model, which would you prefer D-PL, First Generation or Primaris?

For the Dawn Blades model, which would you prefer D-PL, First Generation or Primaris?

You're welcome to do either, and if you do decide to do primaris I'd be interested to see if you do a Forgechained Primaris (they've got a Mechanicum red right shoulderpad and a silver pad trim) or a Rubicon. 

You're welcome to do either, and if you do decide to do primaris I'd be interested to see if you do a Forgechained Primaris (they've got a Mechanicum red right shoulderpad and a silver pad trim) or a Rubicon. 

Forgechained looks very interesting, so I'll work on a First Gen and a Primaris (Forgechained).

With regards to livery, yellow(shade?) or gold?........What shade red?...... Do the Dawn Blades use standard Codex markings or do they have their own traditions?

Forgechained looks very interesting, so I'll work on a First Gen and a Primaris (Forgechained).

With regards to livery, yellow(shade?) or gold?........What shade red?...... Do the Dawn Blades use standard Codex markings or do they have their own traditions?

A very rare few of the chapter use gold on their chest Aquila, but for the most part it’s silver/Leadbelcher. Second Company uses yellow on their company trim instead of gold. The red I use now is Khorne Red and then Evil Sunz Scarlet, and I occasionally try to poke some spiritstone red into eye sockets and such (but that’s Evil Sunz if not, it’s a rare detail thing). As for markings, they’re Codex-complaint. It’s efficient, so they use it.

@DPL: Well if it's any help I have a heap of them painted in the 12 Months of Hobby thread

I found the piece of paper with the plan I used last time. However, I’m realizing I may be running low on Stormhost Silver, since I use it for a bunch of things, and I burning my one chance to grab paint for a while on Abbadon and Nuln—important, to be sure, but not very exciting.

Well, the sprues were broken out and my mind set apace on kitbashing a unique Warborne miniature befitting Brother Argent's work.

Despite the pushfit Primaris (which is all I possess on them) being a real ache to kitbash with firstborn bitz, I succeeded in combining a few bitz to create a Reclusiarch of the Warborne. It seemed fitting as dearest Brother Argent is the unofficial Chaplain of us nutters in the LIBER. :biggrin.:

med_gallery_26154_4148_90004.jpg

med_gallery_26154_4148_185405.jpg med_gallery_26154_4148_2434.jpg

And yes that is the helmet of an unfortunate White Talon down by his feet, they got a rather splitting headache from a bolt round earlier... :devil:

Not sure when I can start applying paint due to weather conditions and workload. But @Brother Argent, if you have any pointers regarding Chaplaincy colours and the colour of a ruined White Talon helmet, I'd be much appreciated. :biggrin.:

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

Well, the sprues were broken out and my mind set apace on kitbashing a unique Warborne miniature befitting Brother Argent's work.

<SNIP>

But @Brother Argent, if you have any pointers regarding Chaplaincy colours and the colour of a ruined White Talon helmet, I'd be much appreciated. :biggrin.:

Cambrius

Wow... That is just awesome.  Fallen Chapter Master Leonides would be impressed.  Looks hell menacing and, as Dos said, to convert that from a push fit is... wow...

The only suggestion to balance the model and carry on the look is some of those fancy leather crotch strap thingies but even without its still amazing.

As for colours: For the Chaplain, despite being hugely codex supporters, I imagine the Warborne take too much pride in their colours to adulturate them to much.  The breastplate would still be bronze, as per Chapter traditions, and possibly the helmet.  For the green I would mostly stick the to Ork Flesh contrast if you have it as that is close to the bright green they like to rock.

For the White Talon, their colour scheme is in their thread.  I paint their armour as: black half - abbadon black with eshin grey highlights, blue - Kantor blue with altdorf guard blue.

highlights.

Does that help mate?  Still loving the model.  When you finish him get some fluff up and he will feature in the article.

When I've painted up my model from the nominated Index, where do I post it? Here? Or in the Index thread it relates to?

Edit: Either way, here is my Death Casters Marine! I had a little go at some freehand for the chapter icon (in combination with a red skull decal from somewhere). I hope he fits the bill.

gallery_84244_11417_198449.jpg

Edited by Halandaar

Well I sat down to start painting yesterday and hit not one, but two snags right out of the gate. :wallbash:

First, and most importantly, the last time I painted a space marine (two months ago), I somehow failed to shut the lid of my white paint. :cry:

It's currently a solid block, tougher than ceramite, and I'm going to have to grab some more. :sweat:

Secondly, and more puzzlingly, I seem to have finally run out of power weapons.

I have no idea how; I went through a phase of buying dozens of swords, axes, maces and spears in my early hobby days, to the point where I had a separate bits box for melee weapons. Now it's just a handful of chainswords, and the discarded bits from conversions. I suppose with a bit of suitable fluff, I can "promote" a chainsword to power weapon- tier, but it's a shock to the system of a man who thought he had a lifetime's supply of tiny plastic edged weaponry. :laugh.:

I'll tell you this, though, brothers - I've got the perfect shield for a Bladeguard Veteran of the Lions Eternal, so one way or another I am making this happen.

I've got power weapons galore, Ace. PM me if you'd like me to send some over; would be happy to donate some to your bitz box. :thumbsup:

A very kind offer, brother, but I can make the chainsword work - it'll just take a little bit of backstory. :biggrin.:

I've got power weapons galore, Ace. PM me if you'd like me to send some over; would be happy to donate some to your bitz box. :thumbsup:

A very kind offer, brother, but I can make the chainsword work - it'll just take a little bit of backstory. :biggrin.:

Oh, the trickery that will be involved in explaining how in the world a Space Marine got a hold of a chainsword ... :rolleyes:

Oh, the trickery that will be involved in explaining how in the world a Space Marine got a hold of a chainsword ... :rolleyes:

It's more like "the trickery involved in justifying this particular Chainsword as a counts-as power sword", but I agree that neither is really much of a stretch. :sweat: Nevertheless, I'll do my best to make it interesting! :happy.:

On a related note, this is one of the Chapters that inspired me to even join the B&C, all those years ago. I remember being in awe of this Chapter back when they were called the Arctic Lions, and I read about them in the Librarium article they had. So having the opportunity to "officially" paint one of Ursrik's mighty sons for part of this challenge is kind of a big deal for me.

Even moreso than with previous LASC Chapters, anything less than my absolute best effort would be utterly unacceptable. Hence me fretting over power swords, when in fact the LASC doesn't even require game-legal models. :tongue.:

Anyhow. Let this be proof that I'm not just sitting on my hands - the painting begins!

gallery_46204_9220_494136.jpg

In my haste to get started on the blue, I forgot to take a proper "unpainted" picture. Forgiveness please!

Vow complete!

I present to you all, Honoured Brother Vothar Maranus Feir of the Lions Eternal!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"On Ursrik we hunt death itself, so we may surpass it."

gallery_46204_9220_57191.jpg

The Lions Eternal boast a list of great warriors and leaders that runs almost as long as their list of victories.

Amongst their number is Vothar Maranus Feir, who has served with the Chapter for over four centuries.

Vothar was not always a Primaris marine, and nor did he always bear that name. He was raised in the Chapter's traditional manner, as a scout, bearing only the name of Maranus. After proceeding through the ranks of Devastator, Assault and Tactical Marine and serving for almost a century, Maranus was gifted the name of "Feir" through a naming ceremony, linking him to the heritage and history of one of the Chapter's most illustrious warriors.

Serving as part of the Second Company for close to two centuries, Maranus Feir saw battle against myriad enemies of Humanity - Orks, Eldar, pirates, rebels, and the vile forces of Chaos. No matter the foe, Maranus Feir faced them down with the same unflinching, ice-cold discipline common to the Ursrikean-born Lions Eternal.

During the ill-fated attack by Waaagh Gitsnapa on Magnariad Tertius, the Thunderhawk Fang of Ursrik was blown apart by the missiles of an Ork Gargant. Maranus was the sole survivor of that incident, being thrown clear of the wreckage by sheer blind luck when the blast hit, and even rejoining the battle in its' latter stages. His bolter was empty, his knife broken, but Maranus pried loose a jagged length of metal from the wreckage Fang of Ursrik and set about the attacking Orks with a cold fury that caused even the hardiest greenskin to hesitate in their charge. It took the Power Klaw of the Warboss Gitsnapa himself to cast Maranus Feir down, but even this grave injury would not ultimately stop the Lion Eternal.

The barely-alive Maranus was put through the Rubicon Primaris, and came out the other side a new man. His only reaction to surviving the Rubicon, after all he had gone through, was the statement "Death has rejected me." In recognition of his survival, Maranus was gifted the new name Vothar - the name he would become known by throughout the Chapter.

The charred, twisted remnant from the destroyed Thunderhawk would be reshaped in the Chapter forges, reformed gradually into the basis for what would become Vothar's Chainsword, still bearing the name Fang of Ursrik.

Vothar served as an Assault Intercessor for almost a hundred years before being recently inducted into the Bladeguard, an honour that the stubborn Lion has endured as stoically as his injuries. For Vothar Maranus Feir, there has only ever been duty, and that has ever been its own reward.

I hope I've done the Lions Eternal justice with this one - Vothar took a lot of work. I swear the blues on the shoulderpads and aquila look a lot more different from the rest of the armour in real life. The pictures seem to have washed them out slightly. :sweat:

Absolutely worth the work though, because now I have a Lion to hunt alongside my Hawks. :biggrin.:

More pics in the spoiler below!

gallery_46204_9220_3615.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_94925.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_68358.jpg

Ace, he looks terrific and some nice fluff too! :cool.:

Sorry to criticise but are those a couple of mold lines on his left leg though? :ph34r.:

...Oh, bother. :sweat:

Both legs, now I look at them again.

Next time I get a day off (next week sometime at the earliest) I'll fix that! :laugh.:

On a related note, this is one of the Chapters that inspired me to even join the B&C, all those years ago. I remember being in awe of this Chapter back when they were called the Arctic Lions, and I read about them in the Librarium article they had. So having the opportunity to "officially" paint one of Ursrik's mighty sons for part of this challenge is kind of a big deal for me.

Even moreso than with previous LASC Chapters, anything less than my absolute best effort would be utterly unacceptable. Hence me fretting over power swords, when in fact the LASC doesn't even require game-legal models. :tongue.:

Ahh :blush.:Ace, you're making me blush. I really appreciate this, though it does make me feel that much more guilty that I have let them linger for so long!

Vow complete!

I present to you all, Honoured Brother Vothar Maranus Feir of the Lions Eternal!

"On Ursrik we hunt death itself, so we may surpass it."

gallery_46204_9220_57191.jpg

The Lions Eternal boast a list of great warriors and leaders that runs almost as long as their list of victories.

Amongst their number is Vothar Maranus Feir, who has served with the Chapter for over four centuries.

Vothar was not always a Primaris marine, and nor did he always bear that name. He was raised in the Chapter's traditional manner, as a scout, bearing only the name of Maranus. After proceeding through the ranks of Devastator, Assault and Tactical Marine and serving for almost a century, Maranus was gifted the name of "Feir" through a naming ceremony, linking him to the heritage and history of one of the Chapter's most illustrious warriors.

Serving as part of the Second Company for close to two centuries, Maranus Feir saw battle against myriad enemies of Humanity - Orks, Eldar, pirates, rebels, and the vile forces of Chaos. No matter the foe, Maranus Feir faced them down with the same unflinching, ice-cold discipline common to the Ursrikean-born Lions Eternal.

During the ill-fated attack by Waaagh Gitsnapa on Magnariad Tertius, the Thunderhawk Fang of Ursrik was blown apart by the missiles of an Ork Gargant. Maranus was the sole survivor of that incident, being thrown clear of the wreckage by sheer blind luck when the blast hit, and even rejoining the battle in its' latter stages. His bolter was empty, his knife broken, but Maranus pried loose a jagged length of metal from the wreckage Fang of Ursrik and set about the attacking Orks with a cold fury that caused even the hardiest greenskin to hesitate in their charge. It took the Power Klaw of the Warboss Gitsnapa himself to cast Maranus Feir down, but even this grave injury would not ultimately stop the Lion Eternal.

The barely-alive Maranus was put through the Rubicon Primaris, and came out the other side a new man. His only reaction to surviving the Rubicon, after all he had gone through, was the statement "Death has rejected me." In recognition of his survival, Maranus was gifted the new name Vothar - the name he would become known by throughout the Chapter.

The charred, twisted remnant from the destroyed Thunderhawk would be reshaped in the Chapter forges, reformed gradually into the basis for what would become Vothar's Chainsword, still bearing the name Fang of Ursrik.

Vothar served as an Assault Intercessor for almost a hundred years before being recently inducted into the Bladeguard, an honour that the stubborn Lion has endured as stoically as his injuries. For Vothar Maranus Feir, there has only ever been duty, and that has ever been its own reward.

I hope I've done the Lions Eternal justice with this one - Vothar took a lot of work. I swear the blues on the shoulderpads and aquila look a lot more different from the rest of the armour in real life. The pictures seem to have washed them out slightly. :sweat:

Absolutely worth the work though, because now I have a Lion to hunt alongside my Hawks. :biggrin.:

Man, he's so cool! Great posing, I can imagine him leading the charge through a hail of fire. You also have had the honour of painting the first Lion Eternal in their new colour scheme (My Tau are blue, I really didn't fancy painting another completely blue army :sweat:). Which gives me an idea, I may expand on Vothar's fluff if that's alright with you?

As a side note, adding names throughout their lives isn't quite how I'd seen the Naming Ceremony aspect working. More of a one time deal, but actually I quite like the way you've portrayed it in that piece of fluff. You may have just changed my mind here!

++++

As for my own progress, I have built my Primaris marine. Going to have a think about how I can embellish him to make him more in keeping with the Fie Claw's aesthetic. Which reminds me, @Brother Tyler they are Orange rather than Bronze right?

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Ahh :blush.:Ace, you're making me blush. I really appreciate this, though it does make me feel that much more guilty that I have let them linger for so long!

No need for guilt, brother. Ultramar wasn't built in a day and all that. :biggrin.:

I also say that while ignoring the accusing, decade-old stares of my Red Lords and Infinity Knights, the only two of my old Chapters whose themes I never recycled. :ermm:

I'll bring them back one day, but I have way too many projects on the hobby table already. :laugh.:

Man, he's so cool! Great posing, I can imagine him leading the charge through a hail of fire. You also have had the honour of painting the first Lion Eternal in their new colour scheme (My Tau are blue, I really didn't fancy painting another completely blue army :sweat:). Which gives me an idea, I may expand on Vothar's fluff if that's alright with you?

Glad you like him, old friend! :happy.:

Expand away on his fluff, hopefully I've given you something useful to work with!

As a side note, adding names throughout their lives isn't quite how I'd seen the Naming Ceremony aspect working. More of a one time deal, but actually I quite like the way you've portrayed it in that piece of fluff. You may have just changed my mind here!

Ah, well you'd mentioned some getting a new name after becoming Primaris marines, so I figured it'd probably also apply to those who crossed the Rubicon. The other name, Feir, was earned the "traditional" way, after years of dependable service and battlefield victories.

So it kind of works either way - at least I hope it does! :sweat: