It only just hit me earlier that this year will be my 30th in the hobby, so I thought it would be a good time to start a new project (yes another one), instead of just 'starting another army' I thought I should do something different to mark the occasion. After some head scratching and beard chewing I have decided to go back to my roots and do a first edition army log.

My aim is to build two forces using the original army lists with some RT era terrain for them to fight over, eventually leading to some old school batreps to mark the completion of the project. For the forces in question I have decided to do something we dont see much of every day... SQUATS!!! and MOAR SQUATS!!! Well technically Squats and  Khornate Chaos Squats with a smidgeon of World Eaters thrown in as allies. Eventually Ill add in some Tzeentch Squats and some Legion of the Damned as well (dont worry, they will all be in Mk6 armour for that nostalgic vibe). 

Decided for the bulk of the forces I will use the Wargames Atlantic Einherjar, heavy weapons teams will use the Wargames Atlantic Grognard weapons with Einherjar crewmembers. World Eaters I already have ready to be painted and the LotD will be using the FW Mk6 kit. All scenery will be made out of any old gubbins and doodads I find laying about the house, as was the way back in the Dark Age of Technology. For the moment I will build the forces to 2000 points to start off with to get the bare minimum needed for legal armies done, then I will start adding in more juicy things. Currently flipping between multiple books trying to work out the armies in advance, I think I can squeeze 2k of Squats out of a full box and 4 additional sprues of Einherjar, an actual army for under £40 pleases me greatly, Ill be ordering a couple of sprues at the weekend to build my Warlord and Hearthguard squad, the spare mini will be the basis of my Khorne Squat Lord... 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Loyalist 2k list

Ill update with points totals when I double check it tomorrow, just in case I missed anything.

Hidden Content

Warlord (Major Hero) 
1 roll on standard weapon chart -
  • Combi Weapon
2 rolls on close combat weapon chart -
  • Power Axe 
  • Jokearo Digital Weapon
2 rolls on grenades -
  • Vortex 
  • Blind

4 Hearthguard 
Power Axe and Power Shield (all) 

Combat Squad 1 
Leader upgrades - Power Axe, Power Shield, Vortex Grenade
Unit upgrades - Tanglefoot, Smoke grenades and Chainswords (all) Grenade Launcher (x1) swap 6 lasguns for dual bolt pistols (x6)

Combat Squad 2
Leader upgrades - Power Glove, Boltgun, Vortex Grenade
Unit upgrades - Tanglefoot and Smoke grenades(all), Boltguns (x6) Grenade Launcher (x1) 

Combat Squad 3 
Leader upgrades - Vortex Grenade
Unit upgrades - Tanglefoot, Smoke grenades (all), Heavy Plasma (x1) 

Brotherhood Support Weapon Team 1
Rapier (Lascannon) and Powerfield

Brotherhood Support Weapon Team 2
Rapier (Multilaser) and Powerfield

Techpriest (Squat) 
Power Axe, Laspistol and Power Armour

Living Ancestor
Displacer Field, Force Rod, Hand Flamer
Psychic Powers -
  • Aura of Invulnerability
  • Immunity from Poison
  • Strength of Mind
  • Jinx 
  • Rally.

Chaos 2k list
As with my Loyalists Ill update with points totals when I double check it tomorrow, just in case I missed anything. Ill even work out the stat boosts from Attributes etc so you can see what everything actually does. 

Hidden Content

Warlord (Major Hero) 
Mark of Khorne
Chaos Armour 
3 rolls on Arms of Chaos 
  • Chaos Armour boost to 2+
  • Chaos Weapon with d3 properties - Damage, Might, Screaming
  • roll on Khorne Rewards (listed below)

Rewards -
  • Aggression Bonus
  • Face of a Bloodletter
  • Frenzy

Attribute -
  • Huge Head

4 Hearthguard
Exo armour with Power Axe and Boltguns (all)

Combat Squad 1 
Leader upgrades - Power Axe, Plasma Pistol, Vortex Grenade
Unit upgrades - Chainswords (all) swap lasguns for dual bolt pistols (x7)

Combat Squad 2
Leader upgrades - Power Axe, Plasma Pistol, Vortex Grenade 
Unit upgrades - swap lasguns for dual bolt pistols (x7)

Combat Squad 3 
Leader upgrades -Power Glove, Hand Flamer, Vortex Grenade
Unit upgrades - swap lasguns for dual bolt pistols (x7)

Allies (500pts) World Eaters

Captain (Minor Hero)
2 rolls on Arms of Chaos 
  • Chaos Weapon with d3 properties - Parry ,Savagery, Warrior Summoning
  • roll on Khorne Rewards (further roll on Attributes, listed below)

Rewards -
  • Regeneration
  • Resiliant
Attributes -
  • Fangs
  • Resiliant
  • Skullface

Techmarine 
Frenzon wrist controller
Boltgun
Frag Grenades

Assault Squad (x8)

Beastmen (x8)

A lot of unit entries will need their basic equipment listed as well, but Ill do that later when I can be bothered. 

That sounds fantastic! Chaos Squats and StD chaos attributes and the like, good call.

Going for the old citadel /coat de arms color pallette? Have any oldhammer bits to give it some juice? I'm interested in how it goes.

And talk about Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon; I had never heard of wargames atlantic stuff ever until literally today. Someone had listed some of the death korps proxies on a trade group and I checked out what they were all about; their stuff looks great!

Unfortunately the only Oldhammer bits I have is a Keeper of Secrets, Great Unclean One a Beast of Nurgle and two Rhinos (one already being painted Khorne colours and one in my Space Wolves that I may pinch for this project) but I do fancy getting my hands on some of the old Khorne sculpts, I love the old Bloodletters, for the marines Im using the 2nd ed multipart mk7 kit and taking inspiration from John Blanches renegades in WD150, Ill get a picture of his minis later for those who dont have access to that issue. 

Tbh I  have not thought about colours yet :lol: Citadel used to do a lovely shade of Worm Purple back in the day, if Coat de Arms has a similar shade Ill grab that and start some Slaaneshi Squats. The min requirements for a Squat force is 1 Warlord and 4 Hearthguard, and 3 squads of 8 Squats, so I can do the bare minimum for one box (that will cover the 3 squads) and 2 sprues (to cover the Warlord and Hearthguard). I could technically do a Squat army of each Chaos alignment and one of Loyalists for under £200. But before I go nuts Ill just stick to Loyalists and Khorne and get them finished first. 

As for Wargames Atlantic I highly recommend their stuff. So far I have tried their WW1 Germans, Grognards, Halflings and Spiders, bits of them can be found here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/367180-stallenberg-502nd/ and the Spiders I am currently turning into Spawn. 

I initially thought that the Legion of the Damned would *also* be Squat 

Good call on bringing back the Rogue Trader vibes - it certainly is the zeitgeist (at least some of the time) with 40k over the past few years, and there's something quite appealing about the more .. almost pseudo-RPG approach to things back then. 

I'm intrigued.

I've got a copy of the reprint of Rogue Trader but haven't really read into it much.

I feel a new lockdown project coming on.

Do it!!! You know you want to. Currently looking for decent Frogmen minis so I can do some Slaan as well. 

Currently looking for decent Frogmen minis so I can do some Slaan as well. 

Diehard miniatures, run by Tim Prow, does the very cool Eru-kin; expy slann and ideal for Rogue Trader-themed projects.

If you're looking for a more pulp-themed look, then Atlantic Miniatures have a multipart plastic lizardman kit coming out.

Currently looking for decent Frogmen minis so I can do some Slaan as well. 

Diehard miniatures, run by Tim Prow, does the very cool Eru-kin; expy slann and ideal for Rogue Trader-themed projects.

If you're looking for a more pulp-themed look, then Atlantic Miniatures have a multipart plastic lizardman kit coming out.

Those Eru-kin are perfect!! :wub: 

I like the look of this thread. I have Slaves to Darkness but don’t remember a lot of squats. Was the squat army list in a White Dwarf?

Yep, I cant remember what issue but it was later reprinted in the Compendium (red book with Ultra Smurfs on the cover). 

Yep, I cant remember what issue but it was later reprinted in the Compendium (red book with Ultra Smurfs on the cover).

<immediately starts watching one on eBay>

I have the copy of White Dwarf with the Imperial Guard army I think - buried in a loft now .. so it must have been just before or after that. I’d forgotten about the random tables for equipment - I mean, why the hell not! And the chaos attributes - forget “no model, no rules”!

<immediately starts watching one on eBay>

Save your money, buy new minis instead. Ill email all the 1st ed books to you if you want tomorrow when I get my external hard drive back from my friend, I mean really how long does it take one person to watch Cobra Kai? I did all 3 seasons in a day .:lol

Forgot I had a squad of Genestealer Hybrids and a Broodlord kicking about, after literally a seconds thought if I should or not I decided what the hell Im gonna add a Chaos Genestealer Cult to this project as well, question is, do I really want to sculpt thigh high leather boots on a Broodlord? Time to search ebay for more bits... 

145525044_784006125534833_86283325064752

Ordered a box of Einherjar, thats the 3 squads of 8 needed to fill the minimum requirements for a Squat Brotherhood. Im contemplating dropping the Rapiers and Living Ancestor from my list to add a Commissar Advisor and a Rhino, the Rhino is 370 points but my Warlord and Hearthguard are the best assault unit in the force and they only have a movement of 3 inches. :laugh.: Or I could squeeze in a few squads of Ratling Snipers as allies for some more cheap shooting (75 points per unit). Choices choices.  

++EDIT++

Had a nosey through what bits I had for my Slaanesh Genestealer Cult and I found my Bretonnian army, reminded me of the old Warhammer Siege rules, then I remembered there being potential for there being 40k/Fantasy crossover with fighting on a Feudal/Medieval planet, then I remembered Genestealer Cults do actually have an option for coming from Medieval worlds... Soooooo what I am trying to say is basically my Cult will be a medieval Slaaneshii GSC. 

Had a quick scribble down of a rough list, trynna get around 1k ish to start with. So far I have (not including rolls on upgrade charts or any of that Chaosy stuff yet)... 

1 Patriarch

Possession - Fiend (This I did roll for).  

1 Magus

D6 Purestrains - 1 :laugh.:

D6 Hybrids - 5 

(x1 2nd Gen, x2 3rd Gen, x1 4th Gen and my choice (another 4th Gen). 

x6 Brood Brothers on Horses

x6 Brood Brothers with hand weapon and shield

x6 Brood Brothers with hafted weapons

x6 Mutants with hand weapon, knife, frenzon and explosive collars

x4 Mutant Bombs

D6 Summoned Daemons. I chose to just take 1 Daemonette, then I wont have to leave spare points free in my list on the off chance I roll higher, at least I know where I stand with one. 

I may give the 2nd and one of the 4th Gen Hybrids horses to buff the mounted Brood Brother squad, as the Hybrids are pretty much the only people in this army that can use actual 40k weapons I may roll something useful up to give this squad a bit more bite especially as I only have one Purestrain and my Patriarch that can actually do anything useful in close combat. Oh and I do get to build a sexy little horse and cart instead of a limo as well :biggrin.::wub:

Model wise all Brood Brothers will either be converted or appropriately painted Brettonian infantry for the regular units or Knights for the mounted squad, Patriarch and Hybrids I already have and the singular Purestrain Ill convert out of the only Hormagaunt I have, in my headcannon its the first Purestrain born since the Cult crash landed on the planet. 

So luckily I dont actually have to buy anything for this army. :lol: :tu: 

Decided to houserule the wargear that Brood Brothers can take. As well as the usual weaponry that medieval troops can take I have decided to let them take bows as well, it makes sense that the peasants will have some twigs and a bit of string kicking about. Also dug out another 6 bowmen I can throw into this and some RoC Slaanesh Champions that I will use as Rogue Psykers. 

@ThePentientOne, I cant wait to get started. I may as well crack on with the Genestealers whilst I wait for the Einherjar to arrive. Lockdowns been doing my head in so it will be good to have something to focus on for a change. 

Oh it also turns out I have about 1000 points of Eldar as well, all 1st ed minis apart from the 2nd ed Avatar and a Farseer I need to convert out of some spare High Elf bits. 

I like the look of this thread. I have Slaves to Darkness but don’t remember a lot of squats. Was the squat army list in a White Dwarf?

med_gallery_93054_16876_84000.jpg

Someone got a good deal - I can wait for another chance. I'm still enjoying the Space Hulk Campaigns book I picked up for not much more than this.

med_gallery_93054_16876_84000.jpg

Someone got a good deal - I can wait for another chance. I'm still enjoying the Space Hulk Campaigns book I picked up for not much more than this.

Wow that was cheap!! It only cost me 12 back in the day to buy it new. :ohmy.:

++EDIT++

AND a Techmarine?!?! The lucky swine... I hope the bidder appreciates his treasures won in the battle of frantic button clicking.

Got my Squat Warlord and one of his Hearthguard built. Still needs some greenstuff in places and Im gonna tweak the Warlords shield arm a bit but you get the basic idea.

Warlord Wrex Somethingnorseson and his best friend Grunt Sonofnorsestuff, and a cheeky photobomb by Random Dwarfson.

med_gallery_75911_16900_443720.jpg

Close up of the other guy. He will be used as the Tech guy until I get a Squat kitted out in a suit of Power Armour then he will get demoted to a fancy unit leader.

med_gallery_75911_16900_442234.jpg

Worlds smallest (no pun intended) family portrait.

med_gallery_75911_16900_911131.jpg

++EDIT++

Got the rest of the Hearthguard done.

med_gallery_75911_16900_493786.jpg

Wrex and the boys.

med_gallery_75911_16900_152986.jpg

Currently close to having a meltdown over what colour scheme I will paint the Squats, thought I settled on something until I noticed its the exact same way WGA painted theirs for the box. :rolleyes: I did think that the whole reason I am trying Squats is to bring back some of the magic the hobby had when I was a kid, so as I am doing an OG army I have to do an OG scheme, seems easy enough right guys??? 

Checked the old artwork from back in the day and now I cant decide on the red and green from the Space Dwarves box art or the red and blue from the epic Squat and Ork expansion box art. Im leaning more towards red/green at the moment (doesnt help I am out of blue paint as well) shame there wasnt more colour art from back then. 

Squats.jpg450px-DSC02968.jpg

+1 vote for the red/green on the left. You may find some miniatures painted in that scheme from White Dwarf, even if most of the art is black and white. I think this will really sell the new models as a rogue trader army. I realise the first unit are hearthguard, but will there be lasguns eventually - what is the scale like?