9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

Yeah I could see conscripts disappearing entirely this time around. Their size has already been cut in half(used to be able to take 60, now it's 30 max, or something like that) and if infantry squads go up to 20....what's the point? They are already practically the same points. And aren't all infantry raw recruits with a 13 second life expectancy anyways? Fluffwise infantry squads are already conscripts is what I'm getting at. There might be blowback from the longbeards, but...who knows, maybe infantry squads will go up to 30man blobs as a way to "meet in the middle".

Then you put vets back in the troops slot, and they become the new infantry squad. And maybe a special rule like with command squads, only one per officer. Otherwise it will just be vet spam all over again. And tempestus scions...can stay as troops as well.

50 not 60. 

Also, Guard troops are taken from the best soldiers of the PDF. They're in no way conscripts. Conscripts in a Guard force means they're in desperate need of additional soldiers. 

Fluff wise there lots of talk of poorly trained guardsmen and penal legion conscript regiments. For conscripts to work they'd have to have a points drop and stat drop I think. Because now they're just kinda worse than infantry squads. If they move basic squads to 20 or 30 man they lose their place entirely. Conscripts/infantry/veterans are really similar and its hard to distinguish them, both on the field and rules wise. The equipment restrictions are about what you can do without stormtrooper like 4+ armor on vets to further split them apart, but that would keep them firmly in elite territory.

Bring back Attilan Rough Riders from 5th Edition so I have a reason to use my old as heck models! If Krieg gets horses they should be used as well.

Bring back Mogul Kamir as a unique character who gives Rough Riders Obsec when within 6 inch of him!

We should have a generic 'cavalry' entry, which encompasses Rough Riders, DKoK riders, etc.  Then we can create custom riders, like 'Fenrisian guard' that ride wolves :wub:

Bring back Attilan Rough Riders from 5th Edition so I have a reason to use my old as heck models! If Krieg gets horses they should be used as well.

Bring back Mogul Kamir as a unique character who gives Rough Riders Obsec when within 6 inch of him!

We should have a generic 'cavalry' entry, which encompasses Rough Riders, DKoK riders, etc. Then we can create custom riders, like 'Fenrisian guard' that ride wolves :wub:

that invites 3rd party models too much.

GW doesn't seem to support creativity as much as they did once upon a time.

Any unit entry will require them to produce a kit they think will appeal to a wide range of players and thus be profitable

I think we could see Rough Riders return, but I'd be suprised if they went full-on Hun. I want Tallarn Mukaali to return

With the CA super heavy auxiliary rule, do you spend 3CP on the super heavy aux and then get +2 for a net spend of 1cp? Or do you just gain two CP instead of spending 3CP

Pretty sure it said refunded, just like how a warlord refunds the CP cost of a Patrol/Battalion/Brigade

Renegades & Heretics <regiment> :tongue.:

Chaos Space Marine Detachments:
- Lost and the Damned: Replace the Imperium keyword with Chaos, replace the Astra Militarum keyword with Lost and the Damned, replace the <Regiment> keyword with <Mark Of Chaos> and <Legion>. Add Lost and the Damned to the list of Mere Mortals. Lost and the Damned characters may not be given any Artefacts of Chaos and cannot be chosen as your Warlord.

In addition Lost and the Damned Infantry units receive the Chaos Cultists and Traitor Guardsmen keywords.

This was my take on how to bring back the old 3rd edition Lost and the Damned, basically lets you take any <Regiment> units directly in a Chaos Space Marine detachment, as well as being able to work with Traitor Commissars from Black Stone Fortress. It also brings back the old days when Iron Warriors could take Basilisks. 

Not truly Renegades and Heretics, and these rules would need to be adjusted once codex Chaos Space Marines is updated. 

Oh yeah, on that note...useful Commissars. XD

This is my ideas for Commissars: 

Lord Commissars/Yarrick: 

- Increase to 4 attacks base. Makes them more viable as melee units with their power sword, an actual option to upgrade with a power fist or relic. 

- Add ability "I Am Assuming Command". The first time your Warlord is slain, provided they are an Astra Militarum Character, this model can now be nominated as your Warlord. Generate a Warlord trait for them, either the one specified if they are a named character or generate one from them from the Astra Militarum warlord trait table. This would be lore friendly as typically if the units commander is killed a Commissar will take over until a replacement is found.

Commissar:

- Give them carapace armour (4+ save).

- Give them a refractor field (5++ save).

Severina Raine:

- Evanfall: Change Strength characteristic to +1 and add ability; Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon.

- Give her a refractor field (5++ save).

All Commissars: 

- Summary Execute: The first time an Astra Militarum unit fails a Morale test during the Morale phase whilst it is within 6" of any friendly Commissars, you can execute a model. If you do, one model (or D3 models if it is a unit of Conscripts) of your choice in that unit is slain and the morale test is automatically passed. 

This should make Commissars better at fighting and more survivable than Commanders, while also having great morale buffs.
Edited by jarms48

• 1 month later...

Just had a good look at the Ad-Mech codex and the FAQ that just dropped for them. I really do think a lot of my suggestions aren't pushing Guard enough to whatever bar GW is aiming for. 

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if our most basic weapons became, partially inspired by both Ad-Mech and Gaunts Ghosts datasheets:

- Lasgun: Rapid Fire 2.

- Lascarbine: Assault 3.

- Laspistol: Pistol 2. 

- Hotshot Lasgun: 24 inch, Rapid Fire 2.

- Hotshot Lascarbine: 18 inch, Assault 3.

- Hotshot Laspistol: 12 inch, Pistol 2. 

With these stats I'd imagine GW would likely remove First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire because we're getting weapons that essentially have it already built in. Maybe it could be made a stratagem (kinda like Galvanic Volley Fire). 

Edited by jarms48

Only problem I have with the above is how to differenciate model wise between lascarbines and lasguns, because the 'updated' cadian kit doesn't come with any new las weapons, so either they're the same, which makes differenciating between them ingame a nightmare if you're taking both, or the kit that was supposed to give all the options immediately is missing one of them.

One of the recent KT DKOK cards had the option for a lasgun to over charge to increase to AP1 at the risk of Hot.

No idea how ap works in new KT or if Hot is the same as gets hot but either way it's an expanded option.

Personally I wouldn't assume whatever the new rules might be are dependant on the current Cadian kit.

One of the recent KT DKOK cards had the option for a lasgun to over charge to increase to AP1 at the risk of Hot.

I hope they don't do that. Even with AP-1 a lasgun isn't wprth the risk of exploding in someone's hands. If it was AP-2 then that's not too bad, it's at least equivalent to a hotshot lasgun.

Interestingly it's written as AP1 not -1.

So I wonder if it's like the 3rd - 7th iteration of ap? That also seems extreme though

Tbh I'd take ap-1 with a modified gets hot that doesn't instant kill a model

I've always argued lasguns should have ap even if it's minimal

As i said somewhere before they could easily take firing modes of lasweapons from RPGames like 'Dark Heresy' or 'Only War', where lasguns and laspistols consume more charge of chargepack to shoot more powerfully. On tabletop it could be done like for example you get +1  S and  -1 AP but your las gun begomes Rapidfire 1 instead of 2, and it can get S +2 but become a heavy 1.

I'm hesitant to take anything from the new KT rules as indications for 40k. One of the issues with old KT was that was tied too closely, using the same datasheets, which really limited the design space. So I'm inclined to think that they won't have too much overlap.

With the new Plastic Deathkorp of Krieg and the Promise from GW that they will be available seperat at some point in the future.

One might wish for the DKoK to be included into the Mainline Codex for Guard.

With you know... some Rules that are actually usefull for once. The treatment they got in the FW Book was nearly an Insult to everybody who plays them.

I think the "as long as they're available to actually buy" caveat is of paramount importance. But if it's true, will DKoK not become the de-facto default guard on the table? Maybe not in terms of rules (my Heretics & Renegades have started a support group: free tentacle when you join), but these models are just so good as to not really be comparable to the Cadian kit IMO. Also seems to have all unit options you'd need in an infantry squad.

If I needed any more bloody infantry I'd buy more than one box myself.

Edited by Juggernut

DK ruleswise is in a weird place. Their regimental doctrine is okay-ish for infantry and terrible for vehicles. Overall pretty pointless.

But their unique units give them some pretty sexy options. Deathriders are still decent roadblocks even after the points hike...you just don't want to spam the full 45 of them anymore. Combat Engineers are downright excellent units. Deepstrike, Carapace, good shotguns and amazing grenades all in a 8ppm package is great. Not super-easy to use to their full potential but the gas-grenades can ruin the day of any non-vehicle unit. And Emperor preserve you if you're 11+ models and I get my unit within 6" of you.

I don't really doubt they'll be integrated into the main Codex now that they have plastics. The main question will be what'll happen to those uniqe units. Will they stay, will they go? Will there be generic options for all Guard? I'm half-ready to get myself 30 Shotgun-Neophytes, slap Scion beret heads on them and use them as Engineers, I'm really just waiting to be clear on that part before I do that.

Edited by sairence

I don't really doubt they'll be integrated into the main Codex now that they have plastics. The main question will be what'll happen to those uniqe units. Will they stay, will they go? Will there be generic options for all Guard? 

It is very possible geedubs will do the same thing they did to marines. You get framework codex and then you wait for supplements to get some special snowflakes chapters or, in our case, regiments.