Equipping a Ninth Company Captain

BloodyB

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a captain loading for the ninth company of a BA successor? Kid of spoilt for choice and was just looking for ideas for making a really good looking Master of Relics.

I'm leaning towards a pretty bolter for range, maybe using it as the Primarch's Wrath bolter? But not solid on it yet. Have some good combi-weapons from the sternguard set, and I'm using the space marine captain model as a base (the one with the Aquilla back pack) any help would be grand.

I quite like the look of the new Gravis Captain with MC Heavy Bolt Rifle. It seems very fluffy for a Captain of the Devastator Captain.

It does look really cool. That would probably work really well if he were blinged up with some relics. Might set aside some dosh for one. Still need to figure out what to do with the guy I've got now though.

I'm trying to collect an entire chapter, and I've got no idea how to equip the captain's outside of 1st co., 8th co. and 10th co. And now 9th too.

I say variety is the spice of life so maybe look at the different types of Captain available and simply divide them up between the various companies?

1st company: Terminator Captain

Firstborn Captain on Foot

Firstborn Captain with jump pack

Primaris Captain (power sword and bolt rifle version)

Primaris Captain (Shield and sword version from Indomitus)

Gravis Captain (Dark Imperium version with boltstorm gauntlet)

8th Company: Firstborn Captain on bike

9th Company: Gravis Captain with MC heavy bolt rifle

10th Company: Phobos Captain

So there are at least 9 different captain models to choose from. There are also a couple of additional ones such as the Birthday Captain with power fist and plasma pistol. You should be able to make yourself a set of Captains with very little duplication.

I say variety is the spice of life so maybe look at the different types of Captain available and simply divide them up between the various companies?1st company: Terminator CaptainFirstborn Captain on FootFirstborn Captain with jump packPrimaris Captain (power sword and bolt rifle version)Primaris Captain (Shield and sword version from Indomitus)Gravis Captain (Dark Imperium version with boltstorm gauntlet)8th Company: Firstborn Captain on bike9th Company: Gravis Captain with MC heavy bolt rifle10th Company: Phobos CaptainSo there are at least 9 different captain models to choose from. There are also a couple of additional ones such as the Birthday Captain with power fist and plasma pistol. You should be able to make yourself a set of Captains with very little duplication.

My problem is an unhealthy love of kitbashing. My 8thcompany leader is a converted Death Wing champion with a grey knights stormbolter and a chalice iron halo thingamabob, Lord of Executions and all around choppy psychopath. I think I invest way too much time in to them, but it doesn't feel right unless I do.

I think 2nd Co. Might be that captain model from the new magazine. With a helmet. 1st co. Was indomitus.

Anyway, thanks for the input, if anyone has ideas for suitably cool relics to tote around then please speak up. Already planning on a servitor or two lugging around that named thing from the first Age of Sigmar starter set, and a few fantasy feathers that Sanguinius clearly shed prior to his death.

I say variety is the spice of life so maybe look at the different types of Captain available and simply divide them up between the various companies?1st company: Terminator CaptainFirstborn Captain on FootFirstborn Captain with jump packPrimaris Captain (power sword and bolt rifle version)Primaris Captain (Shield and sword version from Indomitus)Gravis Captain (Dark Imperium version with boltstorm gauntlet)8th Company: Firstborn Captain on bike9th Company: Gravis Captain with MC heavy bolt rifle10th Company: Phobos CaptainSo there are at least 9 different captain models to choose from. There are also a couple of additional ones such as the Birthday Captain with power fist and plasma pistol. You should be able to make yourself a set of Captains with very little duplication.

My problem is an unhealthy love of kitbashing. My 8thcompany leader is a converted Death Wing champion with a grey knights stormbolter and a chalice iron halo thingamabob, Lord of Executions and all around choppy psychopath. I think I invest way too much time in to them, but it doesn't feel right unless I do.

I think 2nd Co. Might be that captain model from the new magazine. With a helmet. 1st co. Was indomitus.

Anyway, thanks for the input, if anyone has ideas for suitably cool relics to tote around then please speak up. Already planning on a servitor or two lugging around that named thing from the first Age of Sigmar starter set, and a few fantasy feathers that Sanguinius clearly shed prior to his death.

Bellicose Bolt Rifle and Lament are both usable on a standard Primaris Captain depending on weapon build, who can also have a Mastercrafted Stalker Bolt Rifle. As was mentioned here, Gravis Captain with Mastercrafted Heavy Bolt Rifles feel kinda heavy support though in practice are just bolter and sword Captains and a bit tougher.

The Primarch's Wrath is a solid choice for a Captain as it'll cause some damage and gets a decent amount of shots. You can save points on a cheaper Captain that way as well.

Those are the most fluffy options, but remember that a Captain of a Devastator Company can quite feasibly ride a bike or have a Jump Pack to swiftly move between his squads and positions as needed. ;)

A bike Captain can have Twin bolters as well as a shooting weapon.

If you're a dab hand at conversions you can potentially build something special too.

Captain Master crafted combi plasma

Gift of foresight

Artisan of war, quake bolts.

Or captain with master crafted heavy bolt rifle with quake bolts and gift of foresight

Honestly, I quite like that first build. I think I'll build with a powerfist as well, I've got some cool ones... Might take storm of fire for wt, since he'll just be babysitting Devs and the like.

• 2 weeks later...