White Scars all comers Hunter

CCE1981

Warlord traits (for all) The Imperium’s Sword, Chogorian Storm

Captain with Jump Pack, Chainsword, Thunderhammer - 130 pts

Relic - Teeth of Terra

Or

Captain with Jump Pack - Thunderhammer, Stormshield - Armor Indominus or Master-Crafted Thunderhammer (relic) 140 pts

Or

Captain with Jump Pack - Thunderhammer, Stormshield - Chapter Master - Angel Artifice - 180 pts

Or

Captain with Jump Pack - Chainsword, Stormshield - Chapter Master - Angel Artifice - 160 pts

Or

Captain with Jump Pack - Relic Blade, Stormshield - Master-Crafted Relic Blade - 130 pts

4x base + 2x + d3 when charging (Imperium’s Sword + Shock Assault + Chogorian Storm) + 3x Teeth of Terra = 7-9 Thunderhammer OR Teeth of Terra OR Relic Blade Attacks + 3 Teeth of Terra Attacks.

Are 7-9 Thunderhammer attacks enough, and go resiliency?

Is taking two weapons to be cheap and take on a bit of everything?

Not sure what the best course of action here? This would be using a Successor Chapter using Whirlwind of Rage or Born Heroes and Hungry for Battle.

....I am not try to start anything just being frank:

That is a “no duh” generalist statement, that doesn’t provide much feedback. I don’t know much about my local meta, haven’t been able to get many games in do to pandemic and all. Just trying to build up a good Captain. I’m not sure what the general advice is, do I concentrate on tanky, killing, or mix of both?

....I am not try to start anything just being frank:

That is a “no duh” generalist statement, that doesn’t provide much feedback. I don’t know much about my local meta, haven’t been able to get many games in do to pandemic and all. Just trying to build up a good Captain. I’m not sure what the general advice is, do I concentrate on tanky, killing, or mix of both?

To be honest I don't think Riddle's request for more meta information is something to discard. He doesn't know your current playing situation and the reality is a lot of our opinions are coloured by our daily/weekly/monthly meta exchanges. 

For example I am fortunate to be playing in a close knit larger group of people right now, but what I use is quite different from my larger group that is on hiatus during Covid.

That being said, you do need to provide more context based on your own list. 

What I mean by this is your choice of HQ load out should be strongly weighted against the rest of your list.  For example, if you are taking a Chaplain, I find a hammer more reliable (Chappy provides lower end damage, and captain can count on "Litany of Hate" for hammer hits.) Is your Captain joined by Vanguard? First born bikers? Terminators? Perhaps Outriders? (Vanguard can tank like crazy, bikers can't go through buildings/walls as easily but definitely get rid of screens better. etc, etc)

So if I look at your question, as is, I say:

Captain. Jump pack, Hammer + shield and the WL trait is to taste. (I like a lot of different ones and often rotate them since there are no tournaments right now here.)

I play pure WS so I can't give good advice on the chapter traits you've chosen, but I do love the hammers with the super doctrine. But I am continually frustrated with them on my sergeants.  My advice is based on the fact I actually love my old Biker Captain with hammer and relic bike. However I never use him now.

I also personally find that for all my marine armies actually I don't miss the Chapter Master aura. It's just so useless now that I find a captain is a better buy and no upgrade. Unless you're standing in a corner with a massive shooty squad, it rarely seems to pay off. Like I said a good Chaplain negates it and is superior anyway.

I hope this helps somewhat. But that's my vote based on your info. :tu:

No offense taken. Even if you don't know your meta knowing the hole in your list that captain fills is a good starting point.

Example - if you have multiple melta attack bike and/or eradicator units, you probably don't need him to be a tank killing missile and could feasibly concentrate on blending multi wound units with a teeth or relic blade build.

Scars successors can build a relatively tanky captain on a bike with master rider and the shield eternal/adamantium mantle. This still leaves a slot for chogorian storm as a trait to up the offensive capability. I was a fan of this build until the while we stand secondary changed.

Some generalisms based on your chapter tactics;

If you're using whirlwind of rage and born heroes, the thunder hammer is a no brainer. 6 hits on 6 dice with that profile is just gross.

By contrast, born heroes doesn't help the blender/teeth of terra captain at all until until he hits a -1 to hit aura. Whirlwind of rage is great with that volume of attacks if you choose to go with hungry for battle.

At all points, you should compare with the Primaris Chaplain on bike which is, in my mind, the premier generic HQ choice right now.

TL/DR : do you need a troop blender or a vehicle killer in your list? That should dictate your choice.

My problem is coming up with the rest of the list. Figured I would start with the Captain and work from their. It’s becoming increasingly apparent I need a unit of three Multi-Melta Attack bikes. I just think the current attack bikes look a bit....derpy.....the Outriders are a good size, if I could somehow mount a Multi-Melta on them.....or maybe use the 30k jet bikes as grav bikes.....hmmmm.

Edit: sorry for the tangent

Edited by CCE1981

My problem is coming up with the rest of the list. Figured I would start with the Captain and work from their. It’s becoming increasingly apparent I need a unit of three Multi-Melta Attack bikes. I just think the current attack bikes look a bit....derpy.....the Outriders are a good size, if I could somehow mount a Multi-Melta on them.....or maybe use the 30k jet bikes as grav bikes.....hmmmm.

Edit: sorry for the tangent

What about a biker captain with the burning blade, imperiums sword, choggorin storm? This gives you 7-9 attacks at str 8 ap -5 2/3 dmg.  It is more in keeping with White Scars and pretty solid for 105 points. 

Another option is Kor'Sarro Khan.  He is such a badass and is very good at chopping characters up.  

The ATVs with Multimeltas are probably the better choice than attack bikes going forward.  They are primaris so GW is very excited to sell them and attack bikes do appear to very undercosted and prime nerf bait.  

Going Successor Chapter so Kor’Sarro Khan is out of the discussion, even after he gave me the funnest list I ever played in 5th edition. Seriously I rolled my opponent or they rolled me either way they had as much fun as I did, mostly because the games were so dynamic.

The great thing about going Primaris Marines on the 30k jet bikes is that I can use them for either. Just need to magnetize the Multi-Melta.

I just don’t really have the bike forces to go with him.

It's worth getting the outline for the rest of your list nailed down first I'd say.

Your proposed Captain builds have a maximum of 50 points variation which in reality is a few sergeant and vehicle upgrades or an extra one or two marines added to existing squads if you account for the most expensive option.

If you exclude the build with both Hammer and Chainsword all of your others are a Captain with Jump Pack and Storm Shield + RelicBlade/Chainsword/ThunderHammer this would be very easy to magnetise to let you swap them around if/when the rest of your list changes and his role changes.

So my advice in summary would be:

• Build a cool Captain with interchangeable weapons
  • Write a list with 180 points allowed for Captain
  • Test out different builds in a few games each
  • If you find you have 20/40/50 points available with your chosen build, add a model or two to a unit, or upgrade Sergeants to have some Plasma Pistols, Power Swords or Thunder hammers
  • If you change your mind later, you can just swap the weapon back and drop the extra man or two

Rik

• 2 weeks later...