Chapter culture and beliefs:

Despite Cosimar’s grim atmosphere and the constant threat presented by the Striga, the world possesses a rich and well-developed culture and traditions, which have been passed down onto the Chapter. Poetry and music are favored activities for the Revenant Children, and they often take a dark and depressing tone, depicting their struggle with the twin curses of Sanguinius’ gene-lineage through clever metaphor and word-play.

Cosimarans are a superstitious and religious folk, and such traits have been passed down onto the Chapter despite the hypno-indoctrination process that each Astartes goes through. The Children believe that their curse came about as a result of Sanguinius’ failure to defeat the Arch-Traitor during the Siege of Terra, that the depraved thirst and maddening rage are the Emperor’s divine punishment for the sins of their Gene-Father.

On the matters of death, the Revenant Children consider a clean, bloodless kill as a mark of honor and respect to their foes. Cosimarans believe that the soul of a being resides within their bloodstream, and that by dying a bloodless death one’s soul can find redemption in the afterlife, the Chapter follows suit with such ideals, believing that an enemy that has been slain via bloodless means can find redemption once they cross the threshold between this plane of existence and what lies beyond, no matter how wicked or vile they were in life. To this end the Children prefer to utilize blunt weapons, flamers and plasma guns as well as specialized electric whips to deliver death upon their foes.

Edited by Knight Brother Arthur

On the matters of death, the Revenant Children consider a clean, bloodless kill as a mark of honor and respect to their foes. Cosimarans believe that the soul of a being resides within their bloodstream, and that by dying a bloodless death one’s soul can find redemption in the afterlife... To this end the Children prefer to utilize blunt weapons, flamers and plasma guns as well as specialized electric whips to deliver death upon their foes.

I'm shocked it took me so long to identify a solution to the dilemma of having to kill an enemy WITHOUT spilling the enemy's blood.

Heated blades that cauterize as they cut, the way lightsabers in Star Wars do. This can be achieved by setting power swords and axes to generate higher temperatures, though the weapons require modifications so they don't burn out their disruption field generators or melt themselves, and their wielders need special training so they don't burn themselves with their own weapons.

The Chapter Master can then have the honorary title "Lord Invader" or "Father of Darkness".

Any thoughts regarding how they acted during the Shield of Baal event?

Again, good ideas! Will Radu succumb to Slaanesh's embrace?

I was thinking either Slaanesh or Tzeentch, either way Radu will betray his Chapter out of genuine love and concern for the Chapter's well-being, disapproving of many of Drakul's decisions, as well as some measure of jealousy for not being chosen as Vasilescu's successor.

I also had the idea of Vlach Drakul and Radu being friendly rivals, both under the tutelage of Vasilescu before the War on Tsathoggua, later, after the Chapter Master is slain by a Black Legion Champion, Vlach is chosen as his successor by the Chapter, leaving Radu embittered by the choice, thus sparking his descent into the claws of Chaos.

Just want to point out that you can have the split without it being Chaos, the Blood Eagles Chapter after all split into the Angels Numinous and Red Seraphs Chapters, and the Sons of Medusa split out of the Iron Hands. You can still have a lot of internal fighting, tragedy and similar without there being Chaos involved.

Could lead to some interesting culture development with both sides rearranging their once shared culture so to more distance themself from the other group.

Anyone, help. Can somebody give me a good name for a Black Legion Champion that'll slay Dimitri Vasilescu during the events at Tsathoggua? I was thinking of naming him something like "Zachariel Ares", but i don't know of that name sounds Black Legion-y enough.

The Black Legion accept all renegades or fellow veterans of the long war that want to join them, so there is likely BL Champions around with names that would sound very strange to the old Sons of Horus.

Cosimarans are a superstitious and religious folk, and such traits have been passed down onto the Chapter despite the hypno-indoctrination process that each Astartes goes through. 

Any examples of their superstitions?

On the matters of death, the Revenant Children consider a clean, bloodless kill as a mark of honor and respect to their foes. Cosimarans believe that the soul of a being resides within their bloodstream, and that by dying a bloodless death one’s soul can find redemption in the afterlife, the Chapter follows suit with such ideals, believing that an enemy that has been slain via bloodless means can find redemption once they cross the threshold between this plane of existence and what lies beyond, no matter how wicked or vile they were in life. To this end the Children prefer to utilize blunt weapons, flamers and plasma guns as well as specialized electric whips to deliver death upon their foes.

Can see this leading to them using (or looking for) esoteric, non-Astartes pattern weapons that kill without spilling blood. Maybe even some of them use xeno-weapons with their Chaplains, Techmarines, and Librarians studying hard each new xeno-weapon that seems promising before deciding if they can use them or not.

Any thoughts regarding how they acted during the Shield of Baal event?

Hello Gamiel. I've yet to read Shield of Baal, so a short synopsis would be appreciated, all I know of the story is that its Blood Angels vs Tyranids.

Just want to point out that you can have the split without it being Chaos, the Blood Eagles Chapter after all split into the Angels Numinous and Red Seraphs Chapters, and the Sons of Medusa split out of the Iron Hands. You can still have a lot of internal fighting, tragedy and similar without there being Chaos involved.

Could lead to some interesting culture development with both sides rearranging their once shared culture so to more distance themself from the other group. 

Thanks for the input, ideas and criticism are always welcome, but I think that at this point the involvement of Chaos in Radu's fall is already set in stone.

Any examples of their superstitions? 

I'm still working on the whole story and culture of Cosimar, but an example is the consideration that no soul is beyond redemption, no matter how wicked and vile it was in life, and that the essence of one's soul is found within the bloodstream, and that by dying a bloodless death a soul can pass onto the embrace of the God Emperor and thus find redemption in death, no matter if the soul was human, xeno or chaos tainted.

Can see this leading to them using (or looking for) esoteric, non-Astartes pattern weapons that kill without spilling blood. Maybe even some of them use xeno-weapons with their Chaplains, Techmarines, and Librarians studying hard each new xeno-weapon that seems promising before deciding if they can use them or not.

Eh... I'm not totally sure if the Children should use xeno weaponry, as I think that it might attract unwanted attention and enmity from the Inquisition, something that the Children definitely do not want, both out of respect for the organization and for fear that the twin flaws of their Gene-Seed might come to light, thus dooming the Chapter, and perhaps all sons of Sanguinius, to a dark fate...

Hello Gamiel. I've yet to read Shield of Baal, so a short synopsis would be appreciated, all I know of the story is that its Blood Angels vs Tyranids.

Sort Version: Hive Fleet Leviathan is moving toward Baal, eating everything in its way and the Blood Angels and their allies try to stop it. The interesting part is that Dante called out to all known BA successors to help defend Baal and defeat Hive Fleet Leviathan. Most of them sent some forces to help, and it's noted in the description of the Cruor Blades Chapter that they have been overwhelmed with guilt since their failure to reach Baal before it was devastated, while the Atlantian Spears Chapter are described as having received the call for help but tock no action. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, and I've been thinking about reworking/tweaking the Chapter a bit, and I would appreciate some feedback if possible. With this in mind, I present the new history of Cosimar and the founding of the Revenant Children.

Cosimar:

Cosimar is a feudal world located deep within the confines of Segmentum Obscurus, it was first discovered by the Imperial Fists Legion during the Great Crusade, shortly before the Imperial victory at Ullanor against the Orks.

When the Fists first arrived at Cosimar they came with the intent of exterminating the entire culture of Cosimar as a whole, bent on converting the planet to the vision of the Emperor with nary a regard for the rich and ancient culture of the world, a fact that the voivodes of the planet did not take too lightly. The people of Cosimar resisted compliance with all their rage and might, but their numbers and skills paled in comparison to the VIIth Legion, and Cosimar was brought into compliance by force.

Cosimar would then become a bastion of resistance against the Warmaster during the events of the Horus Heresy, with the Arch-Traitor sending his most elite forces led by Abaddon himself to claim the planet. The ensuing battle nearly resulted in the planet’s destruction, but in the end the traitor forces prevailed and claimed Cosimar for themselves. It would not be until the event known as “The Scouring” that the Blood Angels Chapter would re-conquer Cosimar and save its people from the tyrannical rule of the Sons of Horus; after purging the planet of all chaotic corruption, the Angels would claim the planet for themselves, much to the chagrin of the sons of Rogal Dorn.

The children of Sanguinius would latter leave a portion of their forces stationed at the planet, which would latter be founded into the Revenant Children Space Marine Chapter at the beginning of the 34th millennium. Cosimar would enjoy a period of prosperity after its reconquering, but it would seem that the purge that the Blood Angels enacted upon the world was not as thorough as they thought, for several centuries later, on the eve of the 36th millennium, Cosimar would be hit by a violent Warp Storm that would latter become known as “The Bloodstorm”, which would bring with it the nightmarish creatures known only as “The Striga”, fearful abominations that, although feral, struck the planet’s human populace hard and fast, attacking at nightfall and draining the populace of their vitae.

The Revenant Children would take personal offence against these warp-borne abominations, and would enact a second purge of the planet, alongside the aid of the human inhabitants of the planet, to purge the Striga from existence all together.

The following event would become known as “The War of the Striga”, a period in Cosimaran history where the forces of the Revenant Children Chapter would ally with the humans of Cosimar in order to purge the planet of the nightmarish monsters spawned by the Bloodstorm. The Children and their mortal allies would succeed in their endeavors, but not without suffering heavy casualties in return. With the Striga banished from the world, the Astartes would be left too drained of resources and manpower to continue prosecuting their vigil over the world, so it would be then, that the Astartes would give the people of Cosimar the rights of self-governance, so long as they maintained a pact of swearing fealty to the Imperium and supplied the Chapter with fresh recruits.

Thus, the Knightly Orders wound be founded upon the soil of Cosimar, warrior organizations that would take the mantle of defenders of the planet from the Revenant Children while the latter regrouped and strengthened their numbers over time.

The Chapter planet's rewritten history is more logical, and well done.

Who or what is it named after? Attempts to look up "Cosimar" on Wikipedia, yielded "Cosima", a feminine name derived from the Greek word for "order"- most unexpected for a Chapter taking inspiration from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

The Chapter planet's rewritten history is more logical, and well done.

Who or what is it named after? Attempts to look up "Cosimar" on Wikipedia, yielded "Cosima", a feminine name derived from the Greek word for "order"- most unexpected for a Chapter taking inspiration from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

It was a distortion of the word "coșmar", which means "nightmare" in Romanian. Interesting to know that there is a Greek word that almost sounds like "Cosimar", i find it fitting though, since Cosimar stood tall against the forces of Chaos during and after the Horus Heresy.