Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[40k] Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

Arendious

Arendious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 360 posts
  • Faction: Umbral Owls
There's a very skeletal/undead vibe from that art. Almost pushing the line between orthodox and Dark Mechanicus.
  • Ammonius likes this

"Take this, thy reflector belt, that the Emperor's Holy Light will shine in all the places that you go."  ~Commissar Lemay, Imperial Flying Corpsgallery_48988_6285_18080.png

jeremy1391

jeremy1391

++ LIBRITOR VALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,356 posts
  • Faction: Knights/imperial fists
Perhaps the huge tech priest is an AdMech dreadnought equivalent.

Old-Four-Arms

Old-Four-Arms

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 157 posts

I could be wrong, but I think the cover art is by Lewis Jones

https://wh40kartwork...016924015738880 (Death Guard)

Old-Four-Arms

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,483 posts

There's a very skeletal/undead vibe from that art. Almost pushing the line between orthodox and Dark Mechanicus.

Don't forget that dead humans/reanimated /undead are par for the course with the loyal mechanicum. The Dark Mechanicum are the ones who play with AI, stuff with no human remains, and daemons bound to machines. 

Loving this art, and with the other robots in their line, I'm hoping for some kind of giant Mechanoid. An Added-Mech, if you will.

• Jack of the Pelt likes this

MajorNese

MajorNese

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,156 posts

Don't forget that dead humans/reanimated /undead are par for the course with the loyal mechanicum. The Dark Mechanicum are the ones who play with AI, stuff with no human remains, and daemons bound to machines.

This.

In the HH design notes, the Mechanicum was sometimes compared to necromancers. You have lords that are ancient and mostly have lost their humanity along the way, commanding (and literally controlling) armies made up of any material they have available, to achieve goals beyond usual human minds. After a battle, the battlefield is scoured clean for anything useful - re-usable parts, tech, material. Corpses and prisoners are nothing but the sum of their parts, and (to the techpriests) in no way different to a discarded lasgun or a crewless tank.

The HH tech-thralls look the part. Crudely implanted weaponry, simple armour bolted onto the torso/head, and the upgrades include all sorts of nastyness to underline it. The 40k skitarii look fancy and high-end in comparison.

• Jack of the Pelt, Gederas, Arendious and 1 other like this

gallery_6494_6331_8260.pnghhoth_majornesehts27qojyj.jpggallery_48988_11572_4164.pnggallery_48988_11572_12518.pnggallery_48988_15465_8459.pnggallery_48988_15465_5251.pnggallery_48988_6285_13120.pnglockdownpaintingchallwgjra.png

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 364 posts

This.

In the HH design notes, the Mechanicum was sometimes compared to necromancers. You have lords that are ancient and mostly have lost their humanity along the way, commanding (and literally controlling) armies made up of any material they have available, to achieve goals beyond usual human minds. After a battle, the battlefield is scoured clean for anything useful - re-usable parts, tech, material. Corpses and prisoners are nothing but the sum of their parts, and (to the techpriests) in no way different to a discarded lasgun or a crewless tank.

The HH tech-thralls look the part. Crudely implanted weaponry, simple armour bolted onto the torso/head, and the upgrades include all sorts of nastyness to underline it. The 40k skitarii look fancy and high-end in comparison.

The parallels with the Necrons just keep showing up.

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,757 posts

That has to be a new model, right? I can't imagine the cover for the codex would feature a non-existant kit.

Dark Angels cover is full of robed primaris DA and in real life there is only one DA captain and one DA lieutenant that have robes

• Jack of the Pelt, Joe and WrathOfTheLion like this
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,877 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

It could be a new model for the future, but the Dark Angels and Blood Angels covers have imagery not yet represented in models, so I think it means little in the short term.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,841 posts

That has to be a new model, right? I can't imagine the cover for the codex would feature a non-existant kit.

My guess is that it is either an artistic impression of a "Cawl" type unit. The Cawl Inferior perhaps.

Or it is a new unit. 

GW doesn't often allow artists to 'invent' units and looks that are not represented fully on the table top. Actually the opposite seems to be the rule; the details in the art are often surprisingly very representative of the units in real life.

That being said it's hard to believe -that- unit drawing would be a functional war machine. It seems to be an HQ to me... less of an actual damage dealing unit.

• Ubiquitous1984 and SufficientAnonymity like this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

nagashnee

nagashnee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 381 posts
Fantastic art is fantastic.

The Mechanicum Never Deletes Anything.

AdRoc

AdRoc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts
So is this is the correct thread to speculate what may be coming in the Combat Patrol box that will accompany this release?

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 549 posts

So is this is the correct thread to speculate what may be coming in the Combat Patrol box that will accompany this release?

Since the two AdMech Start colelcting boxes have been Skitarii heavy, I wonder if the CP will be Cult Mechanicus centric. A Tech-Priest Dominus, a unit of Kataphrons, Kastelans, and Electro-Priests would come out to about $214 USD, which would be about right for CP savings.

I think many people would hate it because of the Electro-Priests, no matter how much I like those sculpts

It is definitely the time to get a SC box if you've been eyeing it

Edited by sitnam, 23 March 2021 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,144 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

If they did go Skitarii free, the CP box could be fielded as the Metalican Army of Renown from the Book of Rust.

• Doctor Perils likes this

Emicus

Emicus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,721 posts

Since the two AdMech Start colelcting boxes have been Skitarii heavy, I wonder if the CP will be Cult Mechanicus centric. A Tech-Priest Dominus, a unit of Kataphrons, Kastelans, and Electro-Priests would come out to about $214 USD, which would be about right for CP savings.

I think many people would hate it because of the Electro-Priests, no matter how much I like those sculpts

Dear Omnissiah not another dominus.
  • Magos Takatus likes this

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore

If I see another Dominus in an AdMech box, so help me God, I will make Stalin look like an anarchist. I've got so many of those, I can't catch up with selling the blighted things off.

• Emicus likes this

People like to whinge and moan about "the good old days," when things "were cool" and now somehow aren't.
One would think that this energy would be better invested in pursuing things one finds more to one's liking.
Then again, common sense doesn't seem to be all that common.

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,142 posts
  • Faction: Hexfleet Virules

AdMech is a super cool army, but I do hope they tone down the crazy stuff a bit. The robots spamming waves of mortal wounds across the table, the copters just bombing mortal wounds over units for free every turn, the crazy floating tanks...the design and mechanics of the army are so cool, but it can feel so awful to play against them in practice. It started as a weak codex and then just more and more buffs pumped into it with psychic awakening and waves of points cuts. I'd love it if the army was more fun to play against because it's such a different vibe than any other 40k faction. It would be cool if the army played more like you saw in the fluff i.e. lots of highly disciplined skitarri infantry and cavalry trying to hold the line for modest amounts of mobile gun tanks. 

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,447 posts
  • Faction: 40k - Orks & Deldar

If I see another Dominus in an AdMech box, so help me God, I will make Stalin look like an anarchist. I've got so many of those, I can't catch up with selling the blighted things off.

You know you could find a local club and Give them away to some kids starting 40k... msn-wink.gif  Just sayin...

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,879 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

You know you could find a local club and Give them away to some kids starting 40k... msn-wink.gif  Just sayin...

Mithril

Even they have enough of them and are charging us to give to them...

AdMech is a super cool army, but I do hope they tone down the crazy stuff a bit. The robots spamming waves of mortal wounds across the table, the copters just bombing mortal wounds over units for free every turn, the crazy floating tanks...the design and mechanics of the army are so cool, but it can feel so awful to play against them in practice. It started as a weak codex and then just more and more buffs pumped into it with psychic awakening and waves of points cuts. I'd love it if the army was more fun to play against because it's such a different vibe than any other 40k faction. It would be cool if the army played more like you saw in the fluff i.e. lots of highly disciplined skitarri infantry and cavalry trying to hold the line for modest amounts of mobile gun tanks. 

The reason we get all the mortal wounds is that we have absolutely no psychic phase, so we get it added to our shooting.

• brother_b likes this

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

SirJyo

SirJyo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 250 posts
  • Faction: Black templars,
There are other factions with no psychic phase, they don't pour out mortal wounds either.

Whenever I go head to head with an admech player I never shoot without expecting a 4+/5+ invuln, it feels like everything has invulns. I start questioning the point of AP.
I hope they keep them at the same relative level. Or rework their rules to be a bit more creative.
Who?

Progenitor

Progenitor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts

Mithril

Even they have enough of them and are charging us to give to them...

The reason we get all the mortal wounds is that we have absolutely no psychic phase, so we get it added to our shooting.

T'au Empire says hi! And they point at stuff that works in close combat too! 

"I think we'll be OK unless they have some giant robot camels."

Archaeinox

Archaeinox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,202 posts

I hope they stay powerful, like all the recent 9th codex updates, but I hope the combos are less oppressive because in casual play the faction can really crush someone with their baseline abilities unless the person has an equally soul-crushing list. (Robots)

That said, they should still be scary to face. After all, they are the M A C H I N E

Edited by Archaeinox, 23 March 2021 - 12:34 PM.

• klisof likes this

"You're a wizard, Ahri"

"Discgoat for Harambe"

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

Not a fan of that cover art, actually. Too cluttered. Confusing.wacko.png

Still cannot wait for the codex, though.happy.png

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

MechaMan

MechaMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 184 posts

I absolutely love the art. Reminds me of the classic art that got me into the setting. I've really missed seeing servitors and scribes. I feel like its a side of the setting that has been slipping away somewhat recently in the art and miniatures, so it's great to see it make a return.

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 942 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

It could be a new model for the future, but the Dark Angels and Blood Angels covers have imagery not yet represented in models, so I think it means little in the short term.

The BA cover is an assault intercessor and the DA is a slightly more robed (helmet robe) primaris lieutenant no? All accounted for in models.

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore

You know you could find a local club and Give them away to some kids starting 40k... msn-wink.gif Just sayin...

Mithril

You mean those kids that have been playing AdMech for a month and already have 4-5 of them?

Why, the thought never crossed my mind!/s

People like to whinge and moan about "the good old days," when things "were cool" and now somehow aren't.
One would think that this energy would be better invested in pursuing things one finds more to one's liking.
Then again, common sense doesn't seem to be all that common.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users