Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[40k] Adepta Sororitas - Castigator Tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

jeremy1391

jeremy1391

++ LIBRITOR VALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,356 posts
  • Faction: Knights/imperial fists

Pretty cool to see the Sisters have a MBT now. I'm guessing the next announcement will be their flyer.

When this happens I’m totally going to get some so I can finally do my “night witches” Soviet themed sisters.
  • mithrilforge, Irbis, Urauloth and 4 others like this

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,148 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

I like the kit, though I too am thinking of Baroquing up a barrel on the first tank to hit Battle Hardened. It will become a command tank.

I thought I wanted it to be a shrine like the other tanks... But now that I see it, I think its kinda nice to have the variety? Like I could handle a bit more adornment I think, but you're never going to compete with a stained glass turret or a pipe organ... So go a bit more practical.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,875 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Pretty cool to see the Sisters have a MBT now. I'm guessing the next announcement will be their flyer.

When this happens I’m totally going to get some so I can finally do my “night witches” Soviet themed sisters.

This sounds epic. You'll need to share some pics of your project.

Edited by Ishagu, 20 March 2021 - 08:52 PM.

• jeremy1391 likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Brother Ramael

Brother Ramael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 191 posts

The look may seems weird but tbh I like it, besides the SoB getting a MBT is something big already and if you need a tank for them it will end up being ona Rhino chassis, so you can play only that much with the shape.

So, quite a progress since it opens the doors to proper tanks for them.

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,547 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

This has been playing on my brain all day and now someone has incepted the idea of getting a company of them... Hmmm maybe some nations have smaller Companies than the standard Imperial/Soviet model i can use? :D 

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,692 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Absolutely love it. Want to make an armored company of Sisters now. They'd lose every game but look amazing doing it!
  • mithrilforge, Noserenda and Ryltar Thamior like this

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,301 posts

No one can say that a SM Predator redux with similar proportions to this, albeit less ornate and more tactical looking wouldn’t sell like hot cakes. It could have updated weapon options like th battle cannon that this Castigator has, along with front mounted hull weapon so as people would have to buy it for the new wargear options. I just think that Firstborn have so much potential if they were to revisit the range. I love Primaris, but I love Firstborn even more so and believe that the two could exist side by side, both getting new releases. The gladiator is cool, I love it, but a marine version of this tank would be out of this world man.

• Redrandy93, Marshal Loss, Valkyrion and 2 others like this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crix

Crix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 324 posts
Pour one out for Primaris Castigators being a thing 😢

PJ1933

PJ1933

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,181 posts

It's based on a Rhino chassis which is good in my book but I did expect a flamer option for sisters but if Adam said no I would be super surprised if he's wrong. I prefer this look to the grav tanks marines have been getting but it might have more to do with 30 years of imprinting 40k tank designs in my brain.

The question for me - is this something that sisters need for 9th?

Vehicle heavy lists are not exactly a common sight in games that I see being played, a couple of Rhinos maybe or a dreadnought or two but most lists I've seen have been about bodies over toys. Sisters could do a pretty good mechanised armour list now with the options they have, I'm just not sure that's what is needed to win the missions right now.

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,880 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

This is fantastic. I've been wanting a main battle tank for SoB, it was something I was really hoping to see and I'm ecstatic to see it. I'm a sucker for MBTs and love the turrets and their loadouts. Will look great for the Argent Shroud I'm working on.

• mithrilforge likes this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

At least it isn't a Primaris release......

• mithrilforge, Captain Smashy Pants, Master Commander Ajax and 4 others like this

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,621 posts

Knowing what they could have done to the Space Marine Rhino and Predator (and no doubt Whirlwind and Vindicator) in lieu of creating an all new aesthetic for 30 years of established material just makes me even more sad that Primaris exist.

You mean kept old, ugly bricks with cartoonish proportions (too short and wide for tank) instead of making new, proper vehicles that actually look good/like they belong in superhuman rapid response force while keeping overall SM aesthetic?

Yes, scary part is they could have listened to "how dare you change/modernize it" screams of NIMBY complainers and we'd still have silly Vietnam cartoon era junk (and comical, pelvis-less squats) around rolleyesclean.gif

This tank is too utilitarian for something that's supposed to be a holy instrument. It's arguably the least ornamented of all their tanks; it has the cornices and braziers, but the rhino has large ministorum and sororitas icons dominating the model. The immolator blows it out of the water; the exorcist puts it to shame.

You mean, two tanks that are literally identical to it, including sharing 2/3 of its sprues? whistlingW.gif

No one can say that a SM Predator redux with similar proportions to this, albeit less ornate and more tactical looking wouldn’t sell like hot cakes. It could have updated weapon options like th battle cannon that this Castigator has, along with front mounted hull weapon so as people would have to buy it for the new wargear options. I just think that Firstborn have so much potential if they were to revisit the range. I love Primaris, but I love Firstborn even more so and believe that the two could exist side by side, both getting new releases. The gladiator is cool, I love it, but a marine version of this tank would be out of this world man.

I (and a lot other people) can say it, because Predator is old, ugly model with cartoonish proportions you can do little with. FW tried very hard to modernize it, then tried to change look by 'Sovietizing' turret and sponsons (the round one), both attempts failed. Any attempt of doing new SM tank that would lose worst Predator bits and kept SM look would pretty much end in Gladiator clone - this is Predator redux and there is pretty much nothing else GW could do with the concept.

And the less said about comical squats, the better. I saw this photo recently and it really drove the point home why I laze painting remnants of my old sprues - because they SUCK in comparison:

93dc52f0.jpg

• Noserenda and Arendious like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,243 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

Knowing what they could have done to the Space Marine Rhino and Predator (and no doubt Whirlwind and Vindicator) in lieu of creating an all new aesthetic for 30 years of established material just makes me even more sad that Primaris exist.

You mean kept old, ugly bricks with cartoonish proportions (too short and wide for tank) instead of making new, proper vehicles that actually look good/like they belong in superhuman rapid response force while keeping overall SM aesthetic?

Yes, scary part is they could have listened to "how dare you change/modernize it" screams of NIMBY complainers and we'd still have silly Vietnam cartoon era junk (and comical, pelvis-less squats) around rolleyesclean.gif

This tank is too utilitarian for something that's supposed to be a holy instrument. It's arguably the least ornamented of all their tanks; it has the cornices and braziers, but the rhino has large ministorum and sororitas icons dominating the model. The immolator blows it out of the water; the exorcist puts it to shame.

You mean, two tanks that are literally identical to it, including sharing 2/3 of its sprues? whistlingW.gif

I (and a lot other people) can say it, because Predator is old, ugly model with cartoonish proportions you can do little with. FW tried very hard to modernize it, then tried to change look by 'Sovietizing' turret and sponsons (the round one), both attempts failed. Any attempt of doing new SM tank that would lose worst Predator bits and kept SM look would pretty much end in Gladiator clone - this is Predator redux and there is pretty much nothing else GW could do with the concept.

And the less said about comical squats, the better. I saw this photo recently and it really drove the point home why I laze painting remnants of my old sprues - because they SUCK in comparison:

93dc52f0.jpg

The immolator and exorcist are literally identical....except for all the parts where they're not in terms of overall ornamentation and religious trappings.

Or I'm crazy, and failed to notice the cherubs, stained glass, organ, fleur-de-lys doors, mantle decoration, more cornices, iron-work plows and wood paneling that's also on the castigator. Wait, no, I'm not crazy; it doesn't have those elements that transform their vehicles into shrines to their religion.
  • Scribe, Tymell and Atrus like this

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,301 posts

93dc52f0.jpg
The new CSM are fine example of what can be done with the so-called 'Squat' concept. They're THE BEST Astartes models to be released ever, period. GW started moving towards more realistic proportions with DW and Rubic marines, although they still had the ball joint at the waist, and perfected it with new new CSM which assemble the same way as the Primaris. I like Primaris, love them infact, but I never find myself as excited as I did all those years ago when a marine release would come out. I'll play my Firstborn for as long as possible. I just love my Rhinos/Landraidets/Tactical Marines/Boxnoughts too much not to. I still buy old marine stuff too, and will do so for as long as possible. When I no longer can my non Primaris Marine will be relegated to the display shelf and the odd game of old hammer whenever I can. I'll play with my Primaris occasionally, but at that point I'll probably shift focus and play with my CSM/DG and or start a Xenos or Sororitas army, as they are archetypically truer to 40k than Nu Marines, as good as Nu Marines are.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants, 21 March 2021 - 01:09 AM.

• Iron Father Ferrum likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

dracpanzer

dracpanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 641 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle Crusade Army
Hard enough to justify putting exo's in your list nowadays. One? sure. Two? ehh. Three? an awful lot of points. I dont see any room for a castigator in my lists. I was hoping for the Repressor. Hard pass no matter what it looks like.
gallery_53617_12047_5932.pnggallery_53617_12047_29898.jpg

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,301 posts

Hard enough to justify putting exo's in your list nowadays. One? sure. Two? ehh. Three? an awful lot of points. I dont see any room for a castigator in my lists. I was hoping for the Repressor. Hard pass no matter what it looks like.

I hope GW revisit the Reppressor, but when they do, they make it so you can choose to make it heavily ornate for Sororitas, or plain Jane, incase they ever decide to release Enforcers/Arbiters as a 40k army rather than just as a Necro gang. How they would achieve such a balance and the ability to achieve such diametrically opposed aesthetics in the same kit, I don't know, but here's hoping.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,454 posts
  • Faction: 40k - Orks & Deldar
Well I’m happy to see it, I’ll add one at least to the army roster... ornamentation can be painted on if you really think it needs it,
I don’t think it does myself... apparently some great religious icons are just a piece of cloth or a bit of wood... not every sister thing needs to be over the top... maybe it’s more of a “mass produced” get it to the front quickly to bolster defences type idea ...
I do love the new improved turret bulk !.

Oh and Jeremy’s idea of Soviet sisters...you really gotta make that happen!!!

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge, 21 March 2021 - 01:33 AM.

• Captain Smashy Pants likes this

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,547 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Yeah i doubt the repressor is ever going to happen unless they do an Arbites army, having three extremely similar dedicated transports taking up shelf space is just impractical, i mean maybe if the Exorcist/Immolator was a dual kit? 

That said its not unfeasible anymore that they might do an Arbites army, even if they start slow like Genestealer cults in a box and grow out if the demand is there, then you can just use the Sororitas rhino sprue to spruce one up :) 

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,073 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Penitent Spirit
Not sisters looking enough.

Problem lies in 2 places.

1) turret is not churchy enough. Immolator is stained glass and shrines and wood and cherub- awesome. Exorcist is wood and cherubs and organ and organist- awesome.

This....is a predator turret on top the sisters rhino chassis.

Nope. Aesthetic failure.

2) non- holy trinity weapon loadout. Even people who don't play sisters know the 3 weapons the girls have. Bolter, melta, flamer. That's it. It is literally religious.

This has a...battle cannon? Or an auto cannon? No. Army identity failure.
  • Lucerne likes this

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts
  • Faction: 40k: CW, SW, BA. 30k: EC, TS
Honestly looks marvelous imo.

Between their popularity, being imperial and being the new hotness of GWs attention though (if of course still a distant second to marines), I still expect to see more coming in the next preview as well.

Although looking at their roster, the only thing that occurs to me as missing is maybe a flyer of some variety (I am darkly amused by the ideal of a bomber with penitants strapped to each missile lol). That or some sort of bike.

Edited by StrangerOrders, 21 March 2021 - 03:04 AM.

• Redrandy93 likes this

Have a lovely daybiggrin.png

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,616 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands, Alpha Legion

I'm a treadhead, so I like it.  I also foresee a lot of Predator conversions with this almost M1 Abrams-ish turret popping up in hobby blogs even if they don't make appearances on GT tables.  I can definitely see where the "not enough ornamentation" crew is coming from though.  I imagine the current SoB vehicles come with plenty of bits you could use to church up your Castigator turret, though.

Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,312 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Like but irked at the same time.

Likely because I am among the "tanks have treads" group. To me, would of been more in place with the space marines but I suppose they need a decent battle tank and not just ether church organ or transport!

Hope to see this maybe have some spill over into marines at some point for firstborn but I know the odds are silly low for that...the space marine department have a slannesh level fetish for grav-plates right now :P

• Captain Smashy Pants and Iron Father Ferrum like this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,309 posts
Casti... it's a predator and would look lovely in purple and gold.

Looks infinitely better than the baby walkers from last preview.

Edited by 01RTB01, 21 March 2021 - 04:28 AM.

• Silas7 and Maschinenpriester like this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,571 posts

It completely doesn't fit the aesthetic of the range

The range is two aesthetics, one which is dominated by body horror maniacs bent on redemption or punishment. The other is baroque and gothic. This fits that aesthetic perfectly. It even has bits that look directly pulled from the Immolator.

Theres a point when marketing tactics just become transparent. If we know there's this selection of stuff about to drop in the next 6 months, but they drip feed it while showing snippets on rumour engine to let us know there's more, it takes away from the hype instead of sustaining it.

False.
You're really good at talking down to people while being desperately wrong lemondish. What was it the last time, marine power units deserving of nerfs?

The sororitas range's aesthetic is religion if it was militarized; the basic troopers are monks, their elites are angels, their heavy vehicles are shrines, one of their special characters is a living saint. The body horror part is to refer back to flagellation and concepts of "salvation" for sinners. It's all about the religion.

Relax, buddy. Sharing why I disagreed with your take. Can't take it, don't share.

Silas7

Silas7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 634 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists, Blood Angels
Overstimulation leads to irritation. Constant teasing does that, skimask is right.
  • Brother Yroc likes this

gallery_48988_15465_10130.png gallery_45765_11565_21922.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users