Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork Beast Snaggas

Ork beast snagga boyz

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,298 posts
Sooo, are these Boyz Snakebites, or something else? I like the Squig Hound Rider, cool concept, butbhope we get Boar Boyz too. Wonder how they'ed separate the two from a gameplay perspective though?

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants, 21 March 2021 - 02:05 AM.

gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,302 posts

Sooo, are these Boyz Snakebites, or something else? I like the Squig Hound Rider, cool concept, butbhope we get Boar Boyz too. Wonder how they'ed separate the two from a gameplay perspective though?

Beast snaggas. Essentially a sub faction that isn't big on tech but like hunting big stuff. Even titans.

Essentially they're a developed snakebite kultur imo until we know more.

Can't see us getting boars from a cynical perspective that squigs are easier to IP protect?
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 640 posts

It's kinda weird how they're doing these sub-groups, isn't it?

In the same way that the Kult of Speed models aren't technically all Evil Sunz but are clearly based on them, it looks like these guys aren't technically all Snakebites even though that's obviously where they're coming from. 

It all feels very awkward. I think they should just make these guys Snakebites, make the Cult of Speed Evil Sunz, and then re-evaluate how the army-building works so that you can still get the bonuses you want. Maybe something like AoS Skaven.

presumably they want any Ork player to technically be able to field any Ork unit, if only to justify selling these kits to everyone, the lore explanation can be that Gaz is getting the Clans working together often enough that there are plenty of "mixed" WAAAGGHs out there.

• Dark Shepherd likes this

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 640 posts

Can't see us getting boars from a cynical perspective that squigs are easier to IP protect?

I don't see Boars showing up in 40K, doesn't make sense to me that Orks would "domesticate" an animal(that might not even exist anymore in the 41st Millennium) when they can just grow a Squig from Greenskin Fungi?

feel free to use Fantasy Orc Boars for counts-as/conversion bases for these new Squig units though, assuming those don't get discontinued. 

• Magos Takatus and Detjan like this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,906 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
The days of ‘Snakebites can take X,Y, and Z but can’t take A, B, and C’ are long gone. Any release for a faction will be usable by that faction with keywords and strategems (and now armies of renown) to give you a more specific flavor. At least for main studio releases, there’s still weird use cases like the FW compendium units not being able to be taken by a chaos faction that should be allowed to take them, for example.
  • sitnam and 01RTB01 like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

MagicHat

MagicHat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 637 posts

Squigs will always grow where orkz grow. Boars being wherever there are orkz seems like a stretch.

In the same way that the Kult of Speed models aren't technically all Evil Sunz but are clearly based on them, it looks like these guys aren't technically all Snakebites even though that's obviously where they're coming from. 

It all feels very awkward. I think they should just make these guys Snakebites, make the Cult of Speed Evil Sunz, and then re-evaluate how the army-building works so that you can still get the bonuses you want. Maybe something like AoS Skaven.

presumably they want any Ork player to technically be able to field any Ork unit, if only to justify selling these kits to everyone, the lore explanation can be that Gaz is getting the Clans working together often enough that there are plenty of "mixed" WAAAGGHs out there.

I mean, every clan can have speed freakz, but red sunz are more likely to have them. The Rukkatrukk squigbuggy was originally a Snakebites invention.

Every clan have mekboyz, grotherders, painboyz, weirdboyz and so on.

Stands to reason that every clan will have ork boyz that thinks rearing squigs is the orkiest thing eva', and beating down the biggest, meanest things with your bare arms is even orkier! Snakebite clan just so happens to agree with them, just like Red Sunz agrees that the Speed Freakz is the orkiest thing there is.

• Gamiel, Xenith and Detjan like this

Old-Four-Arms

Old-Four-Arms

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 157 posts

We're also at least getting one model on foot :

https://www.reddit.c...m_new_gw_video/

This guy could be the boss-like ork next to the warboss.

There's another image in the same video which shows a raised choppa and what looks to be squig-hide armor...

http://www.bolterand...-to-come/page-4

Old-Four-Arms

Edited by Old-Four-Arms, 21 March 2021 - 09:20 AM.

Darnok

Darnok

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 787 posts
  • Faction: CSM, Daemons

So this got me thinking... and I'll skip the whole "why don't they update X first?", as it is a box filled with dead dreams and rage, better left unopened.

This could very well be the first supplement not for Marines since... 7th edition? I really doubt this will get a codex all of its own, and I equally doubt it will be "just more for Orks". In GW terms it sounds right to update the Ork codex and at the same time introduce a new subfaction with all new models and rules - and an extra book of course.

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 586 posts

So this got me thinking... and I'll skip the whole "why don't they update X first?", as it is a box filled with dead dreams and rage, better left unopened.

This could very well be the first supplement not for Marines since... 7th edition? I really doubt this will get a codex all of its own, and I equally doubt it will be "just more for Orks". In GW terms it sounds right to update the Ork codex and at the same time introduce a new subfaction with all new models and rules - and an extra book of course.

I don’t think that will happen. Walling off an entire subfaction in their own book will only outrage.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,483 posts

Ork Obsession =/= Klan.

Much in the same way that Raven guard might field a lot of vanguard marines, not all vanguard marines are raven guard. 

All Ork clans have cults of speed, and backwards orks and lootaz, not just Evil Sunz, Snakebites and Deathskulls, respectively. 

Super interested to see what happens with this. Bear in mind, the first boss in da vid talks about his new boys and trukks and stuff, then the second says we dont need that. 

My impression is that this will be a 2 wave release, the first with the beast snaggas, and the second with updated traditional ork stuff, but more tekky. Did you see the amount og bionik gubbins in that video? I think extensive bioniks, like the buggys, might be GW's Ork design. 

• Arbedark, Bryan Blaire, sitnam and 1 other like this

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 918 posts

Oh god, my 2nd Ed codex is long gone, so I have a hard time remembering, which was it? Goffs have more Skarboyz, Evil Sunz have more Mekboyz, Bad Moons have more Weirdboyz, Deffskulls have more Painboyz?, Snakebites have more Runtherders, Blood Axes have more Commandos (and can unlock looted vehicles...)?
  • Warhead01 likes this

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,696 posts
  • Faction: Orks!

Honestly not a huge fan of this model. The squig looks kind of awkward, the concept feels like its getting pushed too far.

Still, over the moon to know that Orks will be getting some attention soon in one way or another. Plus, there's a bunch of old Boarboyz on a sprue in my bitz cabinet that I've never found a great use for. What's a new Ork release without an enormous conversion project to accompany it?

• Warhead01, mithrilforge and Slave to Darkness like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,483 posts

Oh god, my 2nd Ed codex is long gone, so I have a hard time remembering, which was it? Goffs have more Skarboyz, Evil Sunz have more Mekboyz, Bad Moons have more Weirdboyz, Deffskulls have more Painboyz?, Snakebites have more Runtherders, Blood Axes have more Commandos (and can unlock looted vehicles...)?

Probably due to a mix of genetic psyche and culture (Kultur). Any mechanically talented Ork born into a snakebite clan would be mistrusted and either gotten rid of or exiled, reinforcing the lower mechanical/technological level of snakebite clans. Likewise, probably fewer runtherders in Bad Moon clans where everyone is rich. Grots a betta for greasin' the engine of me wagon than pickin mushrooms. 

Edited by Xenith, 21 March 2021 - 03:39 PM.

• Bryan Blaire likes this

Dumah

Dumah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 668 posts

I'm of the opinion that squigs should look awkward. It kind of goes hand-in-hand with the concept of ambulatory balls of fungus with teeth.

• Warhead01 and Vesalius like this

I write things:

What Chapter Am I: A Fan Fiction Guessing Game

The Squiggly Beast that Could

Orks Iz Best

Beakiez iz okay, too...

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,696 posts
  • Faction: Orks!

Any mechanically talented Ork born into a snakebite clan would be mistrusted and either gotten rid of or exiled, reinforcing the lower mechanical/technological level of snakebite clans.

I think this is a bit too “gimmicky” to be true. Snakebites still have guns, after all. And vehicles. Stompas and Gargants, even. There are Snakebite Meks, they’re just less likely to try and make the Super Rattler Plasma Shokk Kannon or whatever.
  • Darnok and Dumah like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,302 posts
Regardless of likes or dislikes, it's a great move :)

Shinespider the kult of speed used to be a thing in its own right. Even back in epic it was it's own detachment as were evil sunz.

It maybe subtle/ semantics but there is a difference between them.

From a selling perspective then, like the buggies being available to all, it makes total sense (fluff and financial) for the beast snaggas to be as aspect within a warband.

Ultimately tankbustas are just a bunch of orks that are obsessed with tank hunting that clubbed together. The beast snaggas are just a larger sub group.
  • Black Blow Fly and Bryan Blaire like this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

andes

andes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 400 posts
  • Faction: Orks, IF, Custodes, T'au

I look at the Beast Snaggas and expect them to be more like Freebootas than Snakebites. Drop in 'mercenaries' rather than a new kulture. The hype video even mentions how they view themselves as the strongest members of any Clan they're in.

Edited by andes, 21 March 2021 - 06:20 PM.

• Lexington likes this

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,483 posts

Any mechanically talented Ork born into a snakebite clan would be mistrusted and either gotten rid of or exiled, reinforcing the lower mechanical/technological level of snakebite clans.

I think this is a bit too “gimmicky” to be true. Snakebites still have guns, after all. And vehicles. Stompas and Gargants, even. There are Snakebite Meks, they’re just less likely to try and make the Super Rattler Plasma Shokk Kannon or whatever.

Well, that's kind of what I said. A Snakebite Mek is either going to have to make things that the other Ladz want, like squigbuggys or fasta legz (conform), or will probably not have much favour in the Klan. If they insist on doing other stuff they might not be trusted or looked upon favourably, so he might leave go go elsewhere that will appreciate his talents or be a Freeboota. Alternatively, mechanically minded Snakebite meks might only make that stuff because due to the Klans Kultur, that's the limit of their imagination. Either way, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that reinforces the Klan Kultur. 

• Lexington likes this

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 679 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

I am quite disappointed in the paintjob of the Ork itself. Why is it so... light? Feels like it should be a darker, more mossy green. You know, fungus... 

There are lots of shades of green out there as concerns things like moss and fungus. Why should Orks be any different?

Not to nitpick too much but time was that Orks got darker the older they got.  It's mostly just weird that the Ork is the same light green as the grot. Not very proppa. 

Yeah, it's this very... almost neon fluorescent green? They could have at least thrown an extra layer of wash on the Ork, feels lazy. A studio paintjob should be goals and inspirational, the best of the best, advertising for the product. 

• Warhead01 likes this

J25oay8.jpg

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,013 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

I am quite disappointed in the paintjob of the Ork itself. Why is it so... light? Feels like it should be a darker, more mossy green. You know, fungus... 

There are lots of shades of green out there as concerns things like moss and fungus. Why should Orks be any different?

Not to nitpick too much but time was that Orks got darker the older they got.  It's mostly just weird that the Ork is the same light green as the grot. Not very proppa. 

Yeah, it's this very... almost neon fluorescent green? They could have at least thrown an extra layer of wash on the Ork, feels lazy. A studio paintjob should be goals and inspirational, the best of the best, advertising for the product. 

GW's moved a lot of the greenskins AoS and 40K to a brighter set of greens in recent years. They probably think oooooh, shiny, fun!   Nothing to be done about it I guess. 

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Darnok

Darnok

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 787 posts
  • Faction: CSM, Daemons

Just to add to this: even Feral Orks can have Gargants. These things exist... and they are awesome!

Edited by Darnok, 21 March 2021 - 09:52 PM.

• Gamiel and Dumah like this

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,486 posts
  • Faction: The Scions
Topic cleaned up. No more off-topic from here on, or this thread will find itself locked. You have been warned.
  • battle captain corpus and Darnok like this

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 352 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM

I was checking up past rumours and I've recalled that on The Honest Wargamer they spoke about a "whole Savage Orks line" in early January 2021 (4DK Adjacent Show, 5th of Jan 2021), alongside "new Ork Boys". If 2+2=4, I'd say that new Ork Boys are pretty likely.

ATPete

ATPete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts

4 legged squigs just don't do it for me, and it's not the idea of squigs themselves because I think the Gloomspite Gitz have some of the best models in AoS.

Hopefully they give out some more classic squiggy options.

Edited by ATPete, 22 March 2021 - 11:58 AM.

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,013 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

4 legged squigs just don't do it for me, and it's not the idea of squigs themselves because I think the Gloomspite Gitz have some of the best models in AoS.

Hopefully they give out some more classic squiggy options.

It's weird that I hadn't even noticed the 4 legs.  Maybe they're related to the squigoth side of the squig family tree? 

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ork, beast snagga, boyz

5 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Lord Nord, Captain Smashy Pants, rookie40K, Bing (1), Shinespider