Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork Beast Snaggas

Ork beast snagga boyz

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,483 posts

Rookit spears and a grot with demo charges - are we going to see something similar to Atalan Jackals?

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

Can anyone explain to me why squigs are red?

Aren't they biological cousins of the orks and should therefore have green skin?

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore

Aren't they biological cousins of the orks and should therefore have green skin?

I don't precisely know why they are red in the lore but I do know that they've been red (and a variety of other colours afaik) for at least 12-15 years.

People like to whinge and moan about "the good old days," when things "were cool" and now somehow aren't.
One would think that this energy would be better invested in pursuing things one finds more to one's liking.
Then again, common sense doesn't seem to be all that common.

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,266 posts
  • Faction: Dusk Raiders, Lords of Stone

Cuz red wunz go faster.

:P

• andes, Dumah and Reclusiarch Krieg like this

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,449 posts

because red and green are complimentary colours....?

• Warhead01 and quasistellar like this

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,013 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Or Yellow or Blue. 

This is messed up too by the way. I am not a fan of these models and yet now I want to paint the squigs yellow-ish. 

I don't like the roundness of the modern sculpts and I have no clear idea why it bothers me so much.  

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,906 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Moonclan Grots turned out to be more popular than they thought so this is probably them trying to double down on that interest level. The old Squiggoths with the Dinosaur/Godzilla look would’ve been a more serious adaptation but probably not popular with the people who enjoy silly orks.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Plasmablasts

Plasmablasts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 943 posts

I thought it was because the Squigs were based on Space Hoppers.
  • lhg033 likes this

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 586 posts

Moonclan Grots turned out to be more popular than they thought so this is probably them trying to double down on that interest level. The old Squiggoths with the Dinosaur/Godzilla look would’ve been a more serious adaptation but probably not popular with the people who enjoy silly orks.

Considering how many people like their orks on the more hilarious side, I would say it is a good move on GW.

Personally I have always felt that silly is where the greenskins belong.
  • Firedrake Cordova and El_Dicko like this

RipOffProductions

RipOffProductions

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 640 posts

... is it bad that my first thought reading "Space Hoppers" was Side Hoppers from Metriod?

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,048 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

... is it bad that my first thought reading "Space Hoppers" was Side Hoppers from Metriod?

Whatever the reason, there seems to be no in-universe justification for it.

As such, if I ever get around to painting my orks, all squigs will have a proppa' shade uv green. 

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,364 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

They're not necessarily any more related than (say) humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. There are huge numbers of different types of squigs. In-universe, it's never made clear whether they're distinct species, as we'd understand it. The ever-awesome and ever-amusing Waaagh the Orks has lots of little box-outs about the various types, and make it clear that they're hugely varied; more akin to the animal kingdom as a whole than a subspecies of orkoids.

'Squigs, or Squiggly Beasts, to give them their full name, are always found living with Orks – they have developed a natrual symbiotic relationship. The Squigs eat the refuse of the Orks, and the Orks eat the Squigs. [...] Squigs were bred by the lost race of snotlings known as the Brainboyz, and have remained vital to Ork culture ever since.'

In terms of coloration, the only mentions of colour are for the 'vividly-coloured' paint squigs, and Hairy squigs, which are 'often of spectacular colour' and 'come in a wide variety of form and colours'.

Even out of universe, there's no real reason – as far as I'm aware – to think squigs are so related to orks as to share skin colour. In the case of these new squighogs, the articles seem to hint at red; but I think that's down to real-world colour theory, as lhg033 suggests, and tieing them in with the distinctive and popular Cave Squigs from Warhammer, which have always been red. Even there, there are lots of different coloured-squigs.

There is some sense in supposing that red-tinged squighogs would be popular in-universe; and that's the common belief that red wunz go fasta. Even if that doesn't lead to selective breeding (after all, what poor luckless grot would get that job?), I imagine da boyz would be fighting over who got the red one from a litter.

Anyway... I dig that you're just noting that you'd prefer more down to earth colours, and I think it'd be very easily justifiable to do so. I'd enjoy seeing squighogs in all sorts of schemes, from technicolour to more muted. The latter would be more to my taste, and how I'd plan to paint them.

I like the look of the squighogs – I've long enjoyed the retro nature of cavalry in 40k (long live Rough Riders!), and have wanted boarboyz to make an appearance in 40k for a long time. I thought some from of squigs would make a better modern approach for an update, and am delighted with how they look.

Edited by apologist, 06 April 2021 - 03:08 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova, andes, mithrilforge and 1 other like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

El_Dicko

El_Dicko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 429 posts
  • Faction: Chaos Space Marines and Demons

They looted the decommissioned rough riders from the guard hehe.

My blood axe boys will be taking this literally! The question is just Tallarn or Kreig style!
  • Dumah and N1SB like this

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 646 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
Snagga boys Scar boyz dual kit, I recon.

Still convinced by the scars sculpted onto the buggy boyz and indeed the recent preview of scarred Ork abs.

Could be first kit where units distinguished by if they have shoes rather than head swaps ;)
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,447 posts
  • Faction: 40k - Orks & Deldar

These are great,

My Snagga Leader will Be called Orkloy msn-wink.gif Better get that direchasm ork with the bow for a conversion  (if you played horizon zero dawn you'll get it) 

I will definitely be painting my Squig-pigs (lets abbreviate that to just...Hmmm lets say...Squigs tongue.png ) Blue to match my deffskulls force...maybe a Cringer type scheme with yellow tiger stripes !

I guess the old rockets on spears etc may tick off a couple of those unknown rumour engine pics...?

Mithril 

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,097 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

They're not necessarily any more related than (say) humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. There are huge numbers of different types of squigs. In-universe, it's never made clear whether they're distinct species, as we'd understand it. The ever-awesome and ever-amusing Waaagh the Orks has lots of little box-outs about the various types, and make it clear that they're hugely varied; more akin to the animal kingdom as a whole than a subspecies of orkoids.

'Squigs, or Squiggly Beasts, to give them their full name, are always found living with Orks – they have developed a natrual symbiotic relationship. The Squigs eat the refuse of the Orks, and the Orks eat the Squigs. [...] Squigs were bred by the lost race of snotlings known as the Brainboyz, and have remained vital to Ork culture ever since.'

In terms of coloration, the only mentions of colour are for the 'vividly-coloured' paint squigs, and Hairy squigs, which are 'often of spectacular colour' and 'come in a wide variety of form and colours'.

Even out of universe, there's no real reason – as far as I'm aware – to think squigs are so related to orks as to share skin colour. In the case of these new squighogs, the articles seem to hint at red; but I think that's down to real-world colour theory, as lhg033 suggests, and tieing them in with the distinctive and popular Cave Squigs from Warhammer, which have always been red. Even there, there are lots of different coloured-squigs.

There is some sense in supposing that red-tinged squighogs would be popular in-universe; and that's the common belief that red wunz go fasta. Even if that doesn't lead to selective breeding (after all, what poor luckless grot would get that job?), I imagine da boyz would be fighting over who got the red one from a litter.

Anyway... I dig that you're just noting that you'd prefer more down to earth colours, and I think it'd be very easily justifiable to do so. I'd enjoy seeing squighogs in all sorts of schemes, from technicolour to more muted. The latter would be more to my taste, and how I'd plan to paint them.

I like the look of the squighogs – I've long enjoyed the retro nature of cavalry in 40k (long live Rough Riders!), and have wanted boarboyz to make an appearance in 40k for a long time. I thought some from of squigs would make a better modern approach for an update, and am delighted with how they look.

There was a bit of lore in WD about Squigs being Nid bio constructs from ork dna back in 1st ed. I think it was from the Nid army list that had chaos mind slaves in it, I was rading the issue the other night so Ill try and find it again later. Something along the lines of Squigs recognised they were related to orks on some level and thats why they fight in ork armies as well as nids. 

I may pick some of these up even though I prefer Boar Boys. As Orks like to spend teef on bigger dakka gunz or big blingy buggies I can imagine the same thing goes on in the Snakebites clan, why have a snorta as your ride when you can get a big bloody squig with anger management problems and a steroid addiction. Piggies for da boyz but chompas for you and da ladz!!!! They will look hilarious towering over my Squats as well, a scrap so epic both sides will talk about it for generations. 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

nanosquid

nanosquid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 184 posts

Squigs can come in any color but red is the most common. Orks/grots are green because of the algae in their blood which photosynthesizes to supplement their diet. Squigs on the other hand tend to fill the gaps in the self-contained fungal ecosystem and part of their purpose is to eat the fungus and spread it around so the ork settlement can expand. This is part of why squigs are always hungry, and why they're designed to be green only when their purpose isn't something related to eating (such as the squiggoth which is a pack animal).

I am dead serious on all of this btw. The lore for ork ecology is surprisingly thorough.

Edited by nanosquid, 08 April 2021 - 12:33 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova, Dumah and quasistellar like this

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,171 posts
Cause the red ones grow faster, more food for more boyz
  • Dumah likes this
banana

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,356 posts

a miniature painter painted them red because it's a complimentary colour with green and that became the canonized colour. 

keep in mind squigs genesis was in warhammer fantasy before they were in 40k, were their genetic relationship with Orcs and goblins was a little more ambiguous than in 40k. 

• Lexington and Shinespider like this

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,110 posts

This is such an wild notion.

Plenty of closely-related creatures have different coloration. Why wouldn't they? Squiqs are genetically different enough to have a completely different body shape, why is the much smaller genetic difference of being a different color a problem?

Edited by Shinespider, 08 April 2021 - 05:10 PM.

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,364 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

keep in mind squigs genesis was in warhammer fantasy before they were in 40k, were their genetic relationship with Orcs and goblins was a little more ambiguous than in 40k.

For what it’s worth, squigs in 40k predated those in Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,038 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

What's a new Ork release without an enormous conversion project to accompany it?

Spoken like a true ork player.
  • Lexington likes this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 120 posts

Cause Orks wuz riding Squigs before we wuz riding anyfing else.
And if yuz is gunna ride sumfing, makes more sense for it to be fast Roit.

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,142 posts

image0.jpg

WarCom Article.

Oh man, I'm really, really going to dig the infantry Snaggas.

Edited by Joe, 19 April 2021 - 02:37 PM.

• Dumah likes this

mkbKIlr.png

Matrindur

Matrindur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 67 posts

So they are basically Primaris Orks in that they don't replace normal Boyz but a bigger and maybe stronger variant?

But that is still probably the best way they can phase out the old Boyz instead of straight up saying everyone should just buy 140 of the new ones

Edited by Matrindur, 19 April 2021 - 02:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ork, beast snagga, boyz

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users