Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhammer Animation - Altar of Wrath

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,146 posts

WC6qemnWbwAQKFkB.jpg

WarCom Article.

An article has just gone up for Alter of Wrath on Warhammer Community - there's some marketing emphasis on photorealism, but it's nice to see the animations being talked about more frequently. 

• Doghouse, templargdt, Ldorte and 2 others like this

mkbKIlr.png

StraightSilver

StraightSilver

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 711 posts
It's very difficult to judge just seen n renders but it looks promising and exciting.

For me the story and animation are potentially more important.

I'm glad they're doing these updates though but wonder if they should wait until we have an actual trailer?

Also wondering what's happened to Angels of Death. Was originally meant for a September 2020 release?

Guessing that's just COVID delays though.

Bev'an

Bev'an

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 205 posts
Renamed Last Templar the teaser
clip was quality on YT

Chapter Master Valrak

Chapter Master Valrak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,839 posts

Imagine if they released this with actually new Black Templar models? Now, that would be mind blowing!

• firestorm40k, templargdt, Sete and 4 others like this

Mt7WQJG.png

-----------
Youtube - Twitch - Discord - Twitter - Steam Warhammer Group

-----------

My WIP Imperial Fists Army  happy.png

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,179 posts
I will reserve judgement until the video is out. Stills don't mean much
banana

Bev'an

Bev'an

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 205 posts

I will reserve judgement until the video is out. Stills don't mean much

What this one?

https://youtu.be/RQh5IGZGrmI
  • TheOneTrueZon likes this

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore
I will reserve judgement until I see some animation. Death of Hope did some stellar models as well but things turned out real different when in motion.

People like to whinge and moan about "the good old days," when things "were cool" and now somehow aren't.
One would think that this energy would be better invested in pursuing things one finds more to one's liking.
Then again, common sense doesn't seem to be all that common.

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 971 posts
  • Faction: Silent Sword Crusade

Oh this looks real nice. The stills show me that the model and render quality of this project is something that goes beyond the usual.

"My blood is the same colour as yours. And what I do, I do to protect Earth, same as you. You don't like how I do it, that's your prerogative. But there are things going on out there that you know nothing about. Threats to the human race that no one never hears about, because we stopped them. There are dangers all around us. And whether you like us or not, we may be all that stands between you and the abyss."
- Bester, Babylon 5

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

http://www.bolterand...primal-marines/

ewmbyoa46aj9.gif

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,004 posts
Oh yeah baby, this is the good stuff.

Edited by Sete, 25 March 2021 - 04:41 PM.

• Doghouse likes this

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,215 posts

I like the Land Raider animation.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,148 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

Imagine if they released this with actually new Black Templar models? Now, that would be mind blowing!

This is actually my dream- that all of the new animations were chosen because they overlap with GW's planned releases.

I'd be happy for Black Templars players, of course, and Templars are great as potential allies to sisters. But they would still be Marines, and well... There has been a lot of them lately.

But it would also mean good things for Tau and Exodites, which would trickle to Eldar of all stripes. When the Eisenhorn series gets close, maybe we'll see a good Imperial Agents dex/ Range update.

Also, if Warhammer movies can be used to generate hype instead of edition resets, we might get to see an end to the concept of "Have not" factions.

SirJyo

SirJyo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
  • Faction: Black templars,
Wait, is this the same project punchcake/paxelart has been working on?
  • Bev'an likes this
Who?

Sarvis

Sarvis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts

Know something we don’t??
  • Vesalius likes this

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,119 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard

The helmet looks cool, so does the dude's face. The metal faux-hawk bolted into his skull is a bit silly looking, haha.

Corruption is our armor. Infection is our weapon. Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01e.jpggallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,874 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

I really like the models and the atmosphere that the trailer has, really good job but Im always gonna be a bit wary of fan animations because animating movement and choreographing fights isnt easy and can really bring down an animation where fights is a central theme. Im excited for it and I hope it does well because it certainly has the potential to be real good and Im always gonna be happy to see more Templars in any medium.

++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,115 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Looks good, but it could be animated badly. They could animate the mouths so they speak like this. 

164815449_448213843103202_43800495235343

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,149 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Did no one see the trailer which showed the animation was insanely good?
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,336 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

tbh wasn't much animation that was showcased in full in the trailer that could be judged. It seemed alright, the space marine moving his head back and forth was a little iffy, but the animator did a good job of minimizing shots so that you couldn't necessarily point out all the flaws via clever shots. It's one way to get around animation quality and a good one at that imo.

• D3L likes this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

I will reserve judgement until I see some animation. Death of Hope did some stellar models as well but things turned out real different when in motion.

Death of Hope's issues were sloppy editing and poor creative decisions. The trailer-type usage of its models was fine.

• mel_danes likes this

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore

As Vaddon said, the trailer is super neat - yes - but too short for any proper judgement. I'll reserve my judgement for until I see some longer sequences. I am cautiously optimistic though!

Death of Hope's issues were sloppy editing and poor creative decisions. The trailer-type usage of its models was fine.

Yes, yes and no. DoH usage of his stellar models in the 20mins was many things but it was certainly not fine when motion and interaction became involved - the arena scene is probably the best example of that. If you're trying to tell me that those were fine, then me and you have either seen two very different 20 minutes of animation or have two very different understandings of the word fine. They look fantastic - the moment anything more complex than walking is happening, the whole thing falls apart.

People like to whinge and moan about "the good old days," when things "were cool" and now somehow aren't.
One would think that this energy would be better invested in pursuing things one finds more to one's liking.
Then again, common sense doesn't seem to be all that common.

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts

As Vaddon said, the trailer is super neat - yes - but too short for any proper judgement. I'll reserve my judgement for until I see some longer sequences. I am cautiously optimistic though!

Yes, yes and no. DoH usage of his stellar models in the 20mins was many things but it was certainly not fine when motion and interaction became involved - the arena scene is probably the best example of that. If you're trying to tell me that those were fine, then me and you have either seen two very different 20 minutes of animation or have two very different understandings of the word fine. They look fantastic - the moment anything more complex than walking is happening, the whole thing falls apart.

As said, sloppy editing and poor creative decisions with those ridiculously long lingering shots for us to see all the flaws- and some of the worse models in that long panning shot to boot!

The trailers, despite technically having lower-quality models in places and some amusingly out of place models such as the car, aged far better, in part because of better pacing.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

TheOneTrueZon

TheOneTrueZon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 971 posts
  • Faction: Silent Sword Crusade

tbh wasn't much animation that was showcased in full in the trailer that could be judged. It seemed alright, the space marine moving his head back and forth was a little iffy, but the animator did a good job of minimizing shots so that you couldn't necessarily point out all the flaws via clever shots. It's one way to get around animation quality and a good one at that imo.

Ok, I have to put my foot down here. 

To say there "wasn't much animation" just really grinds my gears. EVERYTHING that is CG is animated. Every. Single. Frame. 24 frames per second (or more). 

We've been blessed with a deluge of amazing, outstanding, remarkable work out of pure LOVE for the 40k world, NO ONE asked these people to make what they're doing. The amount of work for ONE person, or even a team of ten people, to make something like this is more than what you think. Would you look a cabinet maker, who just shaped raw wood from NOTHING and turned it into something amazing and say to his face "yeah but the tools did all the work". It's just baffling that someone could look at a piece of art, which this is, and tear it down because it's a teaser trailer.

I've seen major studios spend hundreds upon thousands (if not millions) of dollars to create work that can't hold a candle to this kind of work because it's soul-less and no one cares about it, regardless of quality. Appreciate what a fan can do for something they love, that is what the B&C is about.

• mel_danes, SteveAntilles, Domhnall and 6 others like this

"My blood is the same colour as yours. And what I do, I do to protect Earth, same as you. You don't like how I do it, that's your prerogative. But there are things going on out there that you know nothing about. Threats to the human race that no one never hears about, because we stopped them. There are dangers all around us. And whether you like us or not, we may be all that stands between you and the abyss."
- Bester, Babylon 5

http://www.bolterand...-sword-crusade/

http://www.bolterand...primal-marines/

ewmbyoa46aj9.gif

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,644 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

Is it Grimaldus ?

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,961 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion
=][= Quit the baiting and bickering or this thread will get the Crozius =][=

If anyone is unclear on this please feel free to reread the B&C rules which we all agree to adhere to on joining. I would suggest this to anyone who's post for instance we have removed:

=][= Rules of the Bolter & Chainsword =][= - ++ FORUM RULES ++ - The Bolter and Chainsword

Happy Hobbying!

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus, 30 March 2021 - 05:14 PM.

• Black Blow Fly and Joe like this
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

jimbo1701

jimbo1701

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,170 posts

Is it Grimaldus ?

The chaplains name is Aristarchus according to the article. His helm bears more than a passing resemblance to that of Grimaldus in the helsreach fan animation though. My only issue with the warhammer animations is the timeframe - how much longer will we have to wait? (A year or two more won’t be so bad considering Ive waited decades for something like this)
  • Black Blow Fly and Vesalius like this

Check out my  blog for all things space marine: http://indexastartes.blogspot.com/

And my other blog for all other things 40K: http://codex-imperia...blogspot.co.uk/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users