Immortals for days (IH 2500) - Bitter Iron RoW

RoadRunna

So I have started on the long build of this army with getting a few squads of Immortals over the past few months and some tacticals also.  However I have been adjusting the list to see how it could run without a Lord of War to transport all my guys in and think the termites could be the way to go.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.  As it is running the Bitter Iron RoW the Immortals are troops and gain rerolls in the first turn of combat thereby getting some better usage out of the available breacher charge.  Each of the Immortals squads has a termite drill and are joined by a Techmarine with Rad Grenades to give it some extra punch in HTH.  The 3 Techmarines are taken as a single Elite choice and then split among the squads.

The Legion Herald (granting +1WS to the squad) joins the Warmonger and the 15 tactical marines to grant them deepstrike where the army needs it mid-game. 

Currently the list as 5 scoring units

2 Termites and the Droppod with CCW Dreadnought arrive turn 1 for some takedown of enemy armour.  The TL Lascannon Dready is for some extra Anti-Armour / Anti-Flyer protection

Legion Herald Banner of the Aquila Terminator Armour Chainfist

Cyber Familiar

WarMonger Artificer Armour ThunderHammer Cyber Familiar DigiLasers

IronHalo

1st Immortals Volkites (8) Meltaguns (2) Art Armour Breaching charge Power Axe

Melta Bomb

Termite Drill

Techmarine Power Axe ServoArm Art Armour

RadGrenades

2nd Immortals Volkites (8) Meltaguns (2) Art Armour Breaching charge Power Axe

Melta Bomb

Termite Drill (2 flamers)

Techmarine

Power Axe ServoArm Art Armour RadGrenades  

3rd Immortals

Volkites (8) Lascuters (2) Art Armour Breaching charge Power Axe Melta Bomb

Termite Drill (2 flamers)

Techmarine

Power Axe ServoArm Art Armour RadGrenades  

Legion Dreadnought

Twin Lascannons  

Legion Dreadnought

DropPod Chainfist +2 meltaguns  

Legion Tactical Squad

+5 Marines Vexila Close combat weapons Power Axe Melta Bomb Sgt Artificer Armour  

Legion Tactical Squad

Close combat weapons Power Axe Meltabomb

Sgt Artificer Armour

Rhino

DozerBlade

Predator Tank + 

Heavy Bolters

Predator Tank + 

Heavy Bolters

I like this list a lot, lots of infantry always feels right to me! Are the meltas worth it in the Immortal squads, I feel like they don't want to be pointed at tanks? That said, I'm not sure if there's quite enough anti-tank. Perhaps savings on melts could give the preds las sponsons? Familiars could be useful on the Immortal sergeants too.

Techmarines can't be split among the squads as they are not independent characters unfortunately.

What are some common threats in your meta that you think might need addressing? The anti-tank here seems a bit lacking, though if your area is vehicle light then that's fine of course.

Hatred is a bonus to the army, but I don't think Immortals use it effectively because they're honestly quite bad in combat. I'd probably try to free up some points and load them with volkites as they get them a lot cheaper than anyone else can, and maaaaybe once in a blue moon they'll win a fight and get to do a very spicy Gun Them Down attack.

You could probably drop the extra tac squad and afford the above, and maybe a drop pod to help your chainfist dread get to where it needs to go. If your meta invests in Armored Ceramite I'd advise swapping the meltas to graviton guns for some more reliable hull point stripping.

One last thing, what kind of termie armor is the Herald wearing?

Edited by raeho

So I love the theme of the list and all the immortals but there are a couple issues with it, like Pearson73 pointed out meltas aren’t the best choice on the immortals, you’ve invested the points in making them better at killing infantry but then for special weapons you give them some anti tank weapons so your wasting some of your shooting no matter what your firing at. 

I don’t know if you realised but techmarine covenants aren’t independent characters, just characters and as such can’t join units and because they can’t join the unit they can’t ride in the termites. Unfortunately they don’t have a rule that lets them join squads like apothecaries either.

Again echoing what Pearson73 said I think your short on anti-tank as part of your army on the whole. With the points saved I’d look at squeezing in lascannon sponsons for the predators, the other thing I’d look at squeezing in is some sort of tank based anti-tank choice, I’d look into one of these choices; a couple laser-destroyer vindicators, sicarian venator, sicarian arcus. As for some non tank based choices perhaps some laser destroyer rapiers, veterans with combi meltas in a termite, contemptor cortus with a fist, chainfist and 2x grav-guns in the fists.

Lastly if your gearing a dreadnought up for anti-tank the hand weapons you want to go with are the grav-guns. The reason being comes down to 2 points, one is Armoured Ceramite which negates the 2d6 pen but grav still works all the same. Secondly you have haywire on grav-guns meaning if you hit it’s a 5/6 chance to do at least a hull point with a 6 being a pen. With two Grav-Guns most vehicles will be on 1 maybe 2 hull points and easy pickings for the charge by another supporting unit with say meltabombs on the seargent or that one random krak grenade you can throw from your Breacher squad etc. 

anyway just some ramblings on things you might want to consider .

Techmarines can't be split among the squads as they are not independent characters unfortunately.

One last thing, what kind of termie armor is the Herald wearing?

Damn it about the Techmarines... obviously i didn’t realise this as i assumed this was ok as why else would FW give you a squad of 3 of them.

All of the Immortal Squads come with Volkites

Going to put the Herald in Cataphracti for the 2+/3+ save.

Edited by RoadRunna

So I love the theme of the list and all the immortals but there are a couple issues with it, like Pearson73 pointed out meltas aren’t the best choice on the immortals, you’ve invested the points in making them better at killing infantry but then for special weapons you give them some anti tank weapons so your wasting some of your shooting no matter what your firing at. 

Lastly if your gearing a dreadnought up for anti-tank the hand weapons you want to go with are the grav-guns. The reason being comes down to 2 points, one is Armoured Ceramite which negates the 2d6 pen but grav still works all the same. Secondly you have haywire on grav-guns meaning if you hit it’s a 5/6 chance to do at least a hull point with a 6 being a pen. With two Grav-Guns most vehicles will be on 1 maybe 2 hull points and easy pickings for the charge by another supporting unit with say meltabombs on the seargent or that one random krak grenade you can throw from your Breacher squad etc. 

anyway just some ramblings on things you might want to consider .

Thanks for the tips. In relation to the meltas on the Immortals this was so that they could pop enemy armour when the arrive from underground in the enemy deployment zone and then dig in waiting for the Warmonger.  I will think on giving them flamers but turn1 tank popping was the idea

Yes I will swap out the meltas on the Dready for grav - good idea

With the points saving from the 3 techmarines being cut out i will look at my options for some Anti-tank