Silent Hunters

Got the ebook version.

As I'm a slow reader, don't expect any great insights very soon.

Heard that his shorts about the Fulminators were quite good. My hopes are high for this one. :)

I love how atmospheric the prologue chapters are, and I am enjoying it so far, although some of it is a bit hammy - it really builds very well out of MacNiven's work very well (which also was rather hammy) and the Badab books.

The main character and his lead assistant are at least 1600 years old, however (their quest has being going on for about 1550 years), which I'm not sure is actually their natural life spans (due to the chapter's propensity for cryo-sleeping). Still, it did raise my eyebrow - these are ancient marines who don't bat an eyelid at their age (unlike Dante). Yet perhaps it just fits in with these similarly-ancient fleets existing in the outer dark, closer to the lost legions than the chapters of the inner imperium, using a mix of ancestor genetic legacies.

In addition, some lovely new feeling things is how a chapter on the edge works with rogue ports and the like - there's an early scene which is eye opening for subverting expectations of how a marine (from such a draconian chapter especially) might interact with the more salubrious (say, precipice-esque or mass effect Omega-esque) elements of fringe society.

Overall, at times it feels at first like an immersive art house oceanic installation, but more often is a quest narrative with some very intriguing maternal and world-building elements.

There's a part in the space shark book, that they walk through a dark eldar museum and Theres a section dedicated to species from the galaxy a moment from death. 1 is a Tau that has a dussaembled crisis suit around him and he's connected to a life support machine for all eternity. The space sharks kill all the humans they find this way, even kill a Ork. But leave the Tau alive. Lol

I enjoyed it. There’s a shoutout to Inquisitor: Martyr with much of the previous search having been in the Caligari Sector. I liked how he did the Drukhari and I’d certainly read a novel by him about them.

The only bit that bugged me was the relationship between the Pale Nomad and the protagonist; it seems in contradiction to previously established background for the Pale Nomad.

Edited by Kelborn

Regardless of me reading it myself (and not finishing it yet or at any time soon), please keep in mind even small bits like mentioning the appearance of

the Pale Nomad
would be something fellow fraters would love to learn by themselves.

;)

Regardless of me reading it myself (and not finishing it yet or at any time soon), please keep in mind even small bits like mentioning the appearance of

the Pale Nomad

;)

Question

Who is the pale nomad?

Isn't it the librarian?

Is he someone special?

Edited by Triszin

the Pale Nomad

;)

Sorry about that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished this earlier. It’s a much stranger book than I expected, but perhaps better for it. It takes a promising, if not especially atypical plotline (space marines on a quest for something), and makes it something unique. It’s fast paced, relatively light on combat, and has a somewhat fantastical sensibility. If you’re hoping for info on the Carcharodons I would look to Robbie MacNiven’s works well before this. There are great scenes with the Carcharodons here, but they do very little to expand our understanding of the chapter as a whole. The Dark Eldar, on the other hand, are expanded on wonderfully. Albert envisions a city of tortured (and torture loving) artists, schemers and drug addicts. Slightly funny, slightly pathetic, always dangerous. This might be my favorite depiction of them yet. The multisensorial depiction of the webway stands out especially. The plot gets a little silly at times, and I wasn’t entirely sold on some of the emotional moments between the protagonists.

Overall I’d probably give this somewhere between an 8-10, but I can understand why those looking for a conventional space marine story would be disappointed. I think Albert’s writing will prove to be a somewhat acquired taste in the BL canon.

I’m only a couple of chapters in but I agree it’s got a strange feel to it. Not at all in a bad way I’m quite enjoying it. I really hesitate to say this because I know the cult following the man has but it feels quite Peter Fehervari in flavour.

It’s like Fehervari mixed with a little bit of Guymer’s awkwardness and eye for detail, at least in my mind.

I’m only a couple of chapters in but I agree it’s got a strange feel to it. Not at all in a bad way I’m quite enjoying it. I really hesitate to say this because I know the cult following the man has but it feels quite Peter Fehervari in flavour.

It’s like Fehervari mixed with a little bit of Guymer’s awkwardness and eye for detail, at least in my mind.

I had not planned on getting this but now...maybe I just might!

Finished this. After the great start the ending wasn’t so hot. The book is most definitely not a space marine battle type book and for that alone it get some points. The opening chapters are creepy and very atmospheric hence the liking to PF. It any similarities vanish when the marines head off on mission. It’s a good enough job of looking a raven guard successor chapter in combat. But the dark Eldar storyline is very vanilla with some crazy real world references that make absolutely no sense in any timeline that is feasible. If BL want to go down the current earth to 40k timeline then they really need to make sure authors don’t have earth places popping up in commorragh. Horrible out of context reference anyway. I’m also fairly sure that the ending has already been done elsewhere. I can’t remember where but I’m sure someone else will. Can’t do the spoiler thing so can’t elaborate.

So decent start, poor end, which frankly doesn’t match the style of the beginning. Any reference to PF is withdrawn!

Finished this. After the great start the ending wasn’t so hot. The book is most definitely not a space marine battle type book and for that alone it get some points. The opening chapters are creepy and very atmospheric hence the liking to PF. It any similarities vanish when the marines head off on mission. It’s a good enough job of looking a raven guard successor chapter in combat. But the dark Eldar storyline is very vanilla with some crazy real world references that make absolutely no sense in any timeline that is feasible. If BL want to go down the current earth to 40k timeline then they really need to make sure authors don’t have earth places popping up in commorragh. Horrible out of context reference anyway. I’m also fairly sure that the ending has already been done elsewhere. I can’t remember where but I’m sure someone else will. Can’t do the spoiler thing so can’t elaborate.

So decent start, poor end, which frankly doesn’t match the style of the beginning. Any reference to PF is withdrawn!

Curious to know what you mean by real world references if you don’t mind DMing. I didn’t notice anything out of place (besides Commorragh seeming a little small).

@dukeleto it’s still worthy of a read. Lots going for it, certainly expands on dark Eldar life and I think the opening chapters alone make the novel worthwhile. I do hope we get more from Edoardo lots of promise.

I'll second this. The book has a lot of great parts, the ending just kind of let's it down a bit. Still a fun read