Unit of the Week: Land Speeder Typhoon

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Land Speeder Typhoon
sml_gallery_62972_11847_86303.jpg
Land Speeder Typhoon, appiah5

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Typhoon(s)?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Please note that the Land Speeder, Land Speeder Storm, Land Speeder Tempest, Land Speeder Tornado, and Relic Javelin Attack Speeder will be discussed elsewhere.

Edited by Jolemai

Every so often I will field a large-ish Bike Squad, couple of Attack Bikes, and a Typhoon to back them up. More often than not it has the heavy bolter as the secondary weapon as I'm using it at range and for the potential synergy with the frag missiles... the extra movement means it can start a bit further back and/or move elsewhere when needed beyond a support role and mobility it often key for us this edition - especially with the secondaries we are likely to choose.

I haven't used them as a pair yet (mainly because my second one is in the backlog) but there's still a lot to be said about running them both with multi-meltas and going hunting with four STR 8 D6 damage shots apiece. Of course, this damage output makes a slightly fragile unit more potent which means better usage will be required to keep it safe.

Other tricks? Benefits from Devastator Doctrine very well and hilariously, Shock Assault. Whilst it can be a candidate for Psychic Fortress, there are probably better targets nearby... Skilled Riders (1CP) can give it -1 To Hit that Shooting phase, Hit-and-Run Warfare (1CP) means it can shoot if it falls back that Movement phase, Armour of Contempt (1CP) gives it a 5+ save against mortal wounds that phase - all of which are situational rather than ground breaking. As a vehicle, it's also eligible for Blessing of the Omnissiah and Awaken the Machine Spirit.

in 7th and into 8th I used them as a mobile fire support option. Move them to where they are needed quickly. I equipped mine with heavy bolter over the multi-melta. I usually kept them more backfield 36"in order to give them a survivability boost. What I found was my opponents tended to ignore them for a round or two at most, then realized how much damage they've done and then kill them by the 3rd lol. In 8th the penalty to move and shoot reduced their effectiveness. They are on my list to use in 9th, IMO they should do better with the removal of the move and shoot penalty. Lots of dakka from the Typhoon variant. In the past they've done work. Will use them soon.