Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sisters of Battle datasheet leaks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

quasistellar

quasistellar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 430 posts

They very well could be giving them the space marine tank treatment: nerf it in to total uselessness.

I very much doubt that, though. As much as GW loves space marines, they also hate space marine tanks being good for some reason.

I would bet money that the Exorcist will end up being good, whether it’s due to indirect fire or a strat.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,224 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Well marine vehicles paid the sin for of iron hands making them extremely good.

Exorcists were used up until the point where retributors the far superior choice, but it's kind of one or another due to the model range.

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,896 posts

Well marine vehicles paid the sin for of iron hands making them extremely good.

Exorcists were used up until the point where retributors the far superior choice, but it's kind of one or another due to the model range.

That’s the thing though, they adjusted an infantry units rules and abilities and made it a better choice for a job than the vehicle option. Now it’s likely these changes to the sisters codex were in the works before they had time to see exactly how effective their buffs to meltas etc would so they could’ve been nerfing the exorcist as another way of pushing the infantry alternative.

It’s just a theory though but it follows a general pattern of vehicles getting less effective whilst the infantry alternative is buffed.

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,614 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
The funny thing is dreadnaughts are really good and can basically be played the same as a tank.
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,312 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Ironic saying how SM tanks got the punishment when it was Iron Hand Dreadnoughts I remember being the hotness.

Then again, I remember doing the math-hammer on those Levi dreads...they could survive a max roll from a volcano lance (max roll as in maximum shots and maximum damage, still calculated hits, wounds and saves the same).

We'll see how it shakes out but if infantry are the go-to yet again, I will give you the past million editions where tanks were always garbage. This is coming from the tread-head who ran 3 land raiders into eldar brightlance spam back when lance was a thing! Was never about winning, was about showing how much needing to roll 4+ sucked!

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,073 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Penitent Spirit
Siiiigh...

Prepare and expect the worst that way you can't be disappointed.

Exorcist nerfs kick in the guts. That ap nerf hurts. Expect it to still be direct fire and the same cost as is now. GW can't have the exorcist in the way of the predator sales. Kick it down hard enough and they won't have to really try with the predator rules.

/salt

Montford

Montford

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 967 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle/Red Templars

Conflagration rockets will likely be the way to go on the Exorcist (if the Castigator's stats are what I think they will be). Basically it looks like the rockets are now an extended range, high rate of fire heavy bolter.

Peace may cost less than war, or infinitely more, for war cannot cost more than one's own life.

-Klingon proverb

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,224 posts

Ironic saying how SM tanks got the punishment when it was Iron Hand Dreadnoughts I remember being the hotness.

Then again, I remember doing the math-hammer on those Levi dreads...they could survive a max roll from a volcano lance (max roll as in maximum shots and maximum damage, still calculated hits, wounds and saves the same).

We'll see how it shakes out but if infantry are the go-to yet again, I will give you the past million editions where tanks were always garbage. This is coming from the tread-head who ran 3 land raiders into eldar brightlance spam back when lance was a thing! Was never about winning, was about showing how much needing to roll 4+ sucked!

Before the nerfs to feiros it was iron air and before the supplements the executioner was played a decent amount too with just the iron hands chapter tactic.

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,312 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Before the nerfs to feiros it was iron air and before the supplements the executioner was played a decent amount too with just the iron hands chapter tactic.

I would contend that the Executioner was only making rounds because it had fly, like basically all tanks that got played competitively (or they had a rule to fall back and still shoot) and the Iron Air was flyers, not tanks really. And lets be real, flyers will ether be trash or busted with little inbetween sadly. It does somewhat show how poorly tanks do in general and the trend does continue by the seems. Really at this point it would be nice to have tanks be busted tier for an edition at least for most factions...would make a nice change of seeing masses of soldiers. Would certainly help the tournament scene and people being worried about time :D

• quasistellar likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,938 posts
  • Faction: Black Templar: Dalthus Crusade
I am entertained folks say “9” nerfs tank when half the point was BigGuns never tire and other things.
PEbafT7.png?1http://www.bolterand...althus-crusade/
Wish List:
BT Crusader Biker- http://www.bolterand...igensian-squad/
BT Primaris Crusaders - (WIP)
"Proper Tool for the Proper Job"

Seahawk

Seahawk

++ OSSIFRAGUS PRAECURSORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,420 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

I am entertained folks say “9” nerfs tank when half the point was BigGuns never tire and other things.

Both are right. 8th and 9th really ramped up the damage output of units to the point where land raiders get 1-shotted by a unit half it's points. The problem is they didn't also extend vehicle life when they switched over to HP instead the tables. You want battle tanks to be tough? Give them more wounds. If the ratio was the same as how it is in Dawn of War (1), then predators would have 25 wounds and land raiders would have 40. Those are more appropriate numbers IMO and would be better for the game.

Until then, it's infantry all day every day as the best units to take.
  • Marshal Loss, Sanctimonius, Llagos_Tyrant and 2 others like this

Fluff: Naval Operations of Ultramar. Also includes all known named ships for all chapters, as well as ship sizes and assorted information.

Personal: The Renegade Hobbyist. This is where I do things! Also, follow me on Twitter at @Atomic_Hamsters.

Post link for all the instances in which Reanimation Protocols doesn't activate, but should. 

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
I'm skeptical that GW is nerfing the Exorcist in order to sell the new tank because I don't think the new tank is going to have the same role. So far, the new tank appears to have either a battle cannon or an auto cannon for it's main weapon. Neither one of those weapons is particularly good at anti tank. In fact both are much better at killing MEQs. So if GWs intention was to nerf the Exorcist in order to sell more of the new tank, why did they buff the conflagration rockets, which now actually do compete with the new tank now?
  • Jorin Helm-splitter likes this

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts

9th edition as a whole seems to want to push infantry over vehicles anyway so it could be the changes to the exorcist are just a symptom of that. Certainly for marines and sisters the infantry (and bikes) do a better job in any role than pretty much any tank they have access to. Add in the fact that vehicles without an invulnerable are very easy to kill and 9th edition is simply not a kind edition for vehicles. This seems like a design intent so my money is on any changes stemming from that more than anything else.

I think its a little early to draw conclusions about what they're going for in 9th. We've had as many space marine supplements released as codex, this next stretch of releases with Admech, Orks, and SoB will tell us a lot. That said we need to look for trends based on all the information. For example if the Exorcist has lost some stats, but is priced aggressively for what you get it may be a net buff instead of a nerf. We also don't know how much the next chapter approved mission pack will change things up, whether it'll be a revision or if we'll see some missions that are kinder to castle armies (the Exorcists natural habitat).  

I'm skeptical that GW is nerfing the Exorcist in order to sell the new tank because I don't think the new tank is going to have the same role. So far, the new tank appears to have either a battle cannon or an auto cannon for it's main weapon. Neither one of those weapons is particularly good at anti tank. In fact both are much better at killing MEQs. So if GWs intention was to nerf the Exorcist in order to sell more of the new tank, why did they buff the conflagration rockets, which now actually do compete with the new tank now?

Totally agree with this point, and would add that the Exorcist is still a really young kit they aren't going to want to hurt it's sales. That said I could see them deciding that both tanks needed to be either T8 or T7 and went with T7. It'll be interesting to see how the two tanks coexist though. 

Umbros

Umbros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 60 posts

The issue with the exorcist is that it was doing all the long range heavy lifting for the army due to lack of options. Now there will be more (not all models have been revealed...) then it can be given a more specific role.

• Montford and Waking Dreamer like this

gallery_48988_10069_25496.png

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,058 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Repressors would be CRAZY broken with MM Rets. Even Melta Doms.

Just make it a rule that the firing ports can accomodate only bolt weapon fire. Bang, done. Still good, not broken tho.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,224 posts

The issue with the exorcist is that it was doing all the long range heavy lifting for the army due to lack of options. Now there will be more (not all models have been revealed...) then it can be given a more specific role.

The lack of options was deliberate to balance out their huge short range damage. Back in the days you'd see jump pack canonnesses with evicserators, sob squads just ignoring armour and getting 3+ invul and the large amount of melta the faction is known for. The minutia of whats strong has changed, but the faction still represents that huge close range spike damage with very little ranged support. I feel like in adding more long range support they're going to have to nerf the close range to even things out (past the nerfs necessary for the high performance of certain units like retributors).

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,144 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

Well, that's an interesting thought.

So we have three tanks now, so we need to nerf short range. Funny, I tried scrolling through the ten pages of Marine options to count their tanks, but I kept losing count; three tanks? Don't they have 3 Gladiators alone?

That explains why GW had to nerf their short/ medium range... Oh wait, Gw never did that.

As for Jump Cannonesses with Eviscerators... Not since 2017.

Edited by ThePenitentOne, 11 April 2021 - 04:46 PM.

Emicus

Emicus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,721 posts

So we have three tanks now, so we need to nerf short range. Funny, I tried scrolling through the ten pages of Marine options to count their tanks, but I kept losing count; three tanks? Don't they have 3 Gladiators alone?

That explains why GW had to nerf their short/ medium range... Oh wait, Gw never did that.

It's three gladiators in the same vein guard has seven leman russes.

You'd count the Immolator three times, exorcist twice and the new tank 2+(?) for 7 vehicles total.

T7 or T8 on artillery doesn't matter much. Maybe that allowed them to not bump the price? Or give it LOS shooting? Or it doesn't have the additional armour t8 typically has? Who knows, could even be a typo.

Edited by Emicus, 11 April 2021 - 04:50 PM.

• Sarvis likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,224 posts

As for Jump Cannonesses with Eviscerators... Not since 2017.

Yes, I understand that the jump cannoness with evicserator is an old build. So was the 3rd edition ignore armour saves from the passion. But if you read what I wrote, I noted that the details changed while the effectiveness of the faction to excel at close range didn't.

Comparing sisters of battle to space marines is odd. The latter have always been presented as a jack of all trades army; kind of comparing two different design paradigms. SoB would be gaining something they never really had before, while marines didn't get their options expanded with their new tanks; attack bikes, predators and land speeders fill the same niche as the new vehicles (which also suck, not helping matters). It's also important to note that marines lost a lot of power with their 9th edition codex; both their melee and their shooting got toned down due to Core and changes to stratagems, special rules and points.

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,144 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

It's three gladiators in the same vein guard has seven leman russes.

You'd count the Immolator three times, exorcist twice and the new tank 2+(?) for 7 vehicles total.

T7 or T8 on artillery doesn't matter much. Maybe that allowed them to not bump the price? Or give it LOS shooting? Or it doesn't have the additional armour t8 typically has? Who knows, could even be a typo.

Immos, as transports don't need the datasheets to separate out the variants, because they're immune to Ro3. Exorcists, as heavy support, would definitely benefit from being 2 different cards, because you could take 3 of EACH if you wanted. Now I hate Primaris tank models, so even though I own the dex, I never bothered looking up whether they are heavy or transport.

But let me take a shot at this, assuming we DON'T count variant kits:

Gladiator

Impulsor

Whirlwind

Predator

Land Raider

Razorback

Hunter/ Stalker

Gee, you're right; when I write it without the variants, the Sisters do have the same amount of options... Oh wait, nope, Marines STILL have more than twice as many kits. I suppose the suggestions for Nerfing their mid/short range game are immanent then. 

Yes, I understand that the jump cannoness with evicserator is an old build. So was the 3rd edition ignore armour saves from the passion. But if you read what I wrote, I noted that the details changed while the effectiveness of the faction to excel at close range didn't.

Comparing sisters of battle to space marines is odd. The latter have always been presented as a jack of all trades army; kind of comparing two different design paradigms. SoB would be gaining something they never really had before, while marines didn't get their options expanded with their new tanks; attack bikes, predators and land speeders fill the same niche as the new vehicles (which also suck, not helping matters). It's also important to note that marines lost a lot of power with their 9th edition codex; both their melee and their shooting got toned down due to Core and changes to stratagems, special rules and points.

Yes, I see now how Assault Intercessors, Bladeguard, and Outriders didn't improve short and medium range performance and options for Marines at all. Especially since being Jack of all Trades means that while all their units are good, none of them are great, where specialist armies will be great at their "thing" and weaker in areas outside their specializations- which is why Fire Dragons and Dominions kick the crap out of Eradicators... Oh wait, they don't?

(Sorry to be such a rude and snippy poster.... This is B&C... Safe space... Allow me to dial it back)

To be fair, Rets DO kick the crap out of Eradicators, and Sisters are performing well in tournies right now... And if that's the measure of whether or not we're fine, rather than how many options we have, then I guess you're right... We are... Fine... I guess?

But when I look at someone's 5k SM collection, where they've actually built whole companies just as a modelling project, and it looks great because they have 100+ kits to choose from, I wonder what it would look like if I felt like building a Preceptory that includes one or two complete Commanderies with my mere 34 kits. 

And I know- flagship faction and all that; people will argue that only Marines could sell 100+ kits, but I've never been sure about that, because I would buy them. I want an Abbess, a Cannoness Superia for each Order, a Cannoness Preceptor, a Cannoness Commander; I want Novitiates, Frateris Militia, Flyers...

And I know I'll never get all of that, or even half of it. But the four units I know I'm getting brings me closer, and quite frankly the suggestion that I need to have my entire army nerfed because I should only be able to have a single unit with a range greater than 36"... well, it got under my skin a bit, so sarcasm happened.

As always... Peace, and Respect.

TrawlingCleaner

TrawlingCleaner

++ CLOACARIUS RETICULUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,225 posts

As nothing new has come about, I'll close this thread for now. If anything new comes to light, report the thread or shoot us a PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users