Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Slaves to Darkness

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Paceyjg

Paceyjg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10 posts

Really enjoying this book but one thing that annoys me, didn't Lorgar ascend to Daemonhood before the events told within?

I remember him fighting Gulliman as such in an earlier HH novel?

Lucien Eilam

Lucien Eilam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,834 posts
  • Faction: Lightbringers

No, Lorgar’s ascension takes place post-Heresy.

• MetalMammoth likes this

“In general, we have found that the more scenery you can place on the battlefield, the better the game will be.”

Lightbringers Space Marines

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,400 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

The only story featuring Lorgar as a Daemon Primarch thus far has him fighting Corax, not Guilliman, and that's post-heresy.

bRxSYDV.png

Bobss

Bobss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 203 posts

I have a feeling of what Lorgar and Perturabo actually are post-Heresy will be addressed in Black Legion 3 depending on whether the Kingbreaker scene is included or not

And yeah, Slaves to Darkness is my vote for 'most underrated Horus Heresy book.' From what I can gather some people love the alternating perspectives and some people hate it. I could've done without it and would've preferred a more traditionally structured book like Praetorian of Dorn, but I get why it's there - to help cover as much content as possible. This book is basically the sequel to Tallarn, Betrayer, Angel Exterminatus, Vengeful Spirit and more

Also some of the censored.gif the Word Bearers do in this book is by far the most hideous things I have ever read in a Black Library book. Dead Sky, Black Sun might've been scary when I was 16, but the XVII nailing tens of thousands of people to their ships as an offering each time they jump into the warp is genuinely vile because it's perfectly believable considering the genocidal scale of 40k

Edited by Bobss, 08 April 2021 - 10:08 PM.

• Scribe, aa.logan, LetsYouDown and 2 others like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts

Really enjoying this book but one thing that annoys me, didn't Lorgar ascend to Daemonhood before the events told within?

I remember him fighting Gulliman as such in an earlier HH novel?

lorgar has increased in power by that point, but as others have said, not ascended. i can't recall if it was a chaos power up or just lorgar finally realising his full potential

It always amused me that the GW Mail Order ‘Trolls’ as we (starting with me) had always styled ourselves insisted as being rebranded ‘Space Marines’. Why anyone would want to be associated with semi-lobotomized, hypnotically indoctrinated slave-soldiers in thrall to an uncaring (and possibly non-existent) god I couldn’t imagine. - Rick Priestley

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts

After the events of "The First Heretic" a relatively early book in the series, Lorgar noticably grew more powerful and sure of himself; It seemed like it's because he's found his purpose.

Later, during "Betrayer" it became apparent there's something unnatural inside him - even for a primarch - as he first survived TWO subsequent, point-blank range shots from a Warhound titan's main plasma weapon and the following salvo from it's bolt weapons, then, after being saved by Angron, proceeded to recover from fatal looking injuries in a matter of days;

I could be wrong but I think something was seen moving under his skin when he was seen during his recovery?

Full demon primarch ascension came after the heresy, as his reward for serving the dark gods.

• Taliesin and byrd9999 like this

Paceyjg

Paceyjg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10 posts

Who did Gulliman fight when he was blown off the bridge and survived in the thin atmosphere clinging to the ship? It was a HH novel I'm sure..

Malkydel

Malkydel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

Who did Gulliman fight when he was blown off the bridge and survived in the thin atmosphere clinging to the ship? It was a HH novel I'm sure..

That's in Know No Fear and wasn't Lorgar, it was just a daemon.

• MetalMammoth and Paceyjg like this

"I've seen into the hell behind reality. It stole my sense of humour."

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 554 posts
  • Faction: Kartash’s pious stink
Im not the biggest fan of John French generally, but this might be my favourite of his- certainly it’s one of the best late-period Heresy books, and one that really reinvigorated my flagging interest in the series with how it brought things together again.
  • mc warhammer, byrd9999 and Bobss like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,693 posts

yeah, i'm not the biggest fan either, he's hit or miss for me...i find his prose really dense and honestly i get bored (i tried so many times to finish the ahriman series and just gave up) but this was one of the hits along with PoD. it was exactly the book that was needed at that point in the heresy novels.

• Scribe, aa.logan, byrd9999 and 1 other like this

It always amused me that the GW Mail Order ‘Trolls’ as we (starting with me) had always styled ourselves insisted as being rebranded ‘Space Marines’. Why anyone would want to be associated with semi-lobotomized, hypnotically indoctrinated slave-soldiers in thrall to an uncaring (and possibly non-existent) god I couldn’t imagine. - Rick Priestley

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users