The Evil Pinwheel and Thousand Sons

Madian

Hello Everyone,

New to this forum, new to warhammer 40k etc etc

My question is... can Thousand Sons take the Noctilith Crown? It only has one faction keyword and that is "Chaos". Thousand Sons obviously share this keyword so theoretically they should be able to take a free fortification detachment with it I imagine.

I was thinking of running it in an Onslaught game where the map is big enough that you can put it in the back where it can boost up your sorcerers and provide them with a little extra protection while they cast psychic spells. I know its not necessarily a competitive pick but I like bringing jank or stuff that makes for an iconic center piece.

I can't comment on whether or not you can place it in a fortification detachment for free, I'd only be guessing.

I can, however, say that you will get a lot of use out of it in games that are over 2000pts where you have more threats around the table. I'd be shocked if the Crown is even targeted tbh. Most of the enemy's firepower is going to go into your Rubricae, Scarab Occult, Defilers/Forges/Predators/Magnus before the Crown. That'll give it a chance to boost your spells. I have enjoyed it when I stuffed it into an army.

Edited by Archaeinox

I can't comment on whether or not you can place it in a fortification detachment for free, I'd only be guessing.

I can, however, say that you will get a lot of use out of it in games that are over 2000pts where you have more threats around the table. I'd be shocked if the Crown is even targeted tbh. Most of the enemy's firepower is going to go into your Rubricae, Scarab Occult, Defilers/Forges/Predators/Magnus before the Crown. That'll give it a chance to boost your spells. I have enjoyed it when I stuffed it into an army.

I'm hesitent on pulling the trigger on getting one as they might give us an army exclusive rule in the new codex that the crown will break since it won't have the new "Arcana Astartes" keyword.

Welcome aboard, and to the hobby! I was wondering what you were talking about from the title but I think I'll adopt this name for it in the future :laugh.: I can't offer more than what Arch has covered, but don't forget to share your army pictures with us :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I'm one of those bad new players that bought a whole bunch of boxes and art supplies day 1. I've painted about 2000 points of sisters, 1000 of space marines and now I'm getting ready to do my thousand sons. I figure I should start before the codex hype hits and all my rubric marines go missing from the shelf.

"Bad new players"? Grey plastic mountains sounds more bad old player to me :lol:;) I look forward to seeing your WIP, I should get back to mine but my limited time is currently spent on another army. It sounds like you have a lot to keep busy with so you can decide on the evil pin wheel later :tu:

While we technically CAN take it, I'd avoid it.

Lets put aside the fact its pretty darn bug, and really hard to place on the table due to how fortifications are placed, so often you wont get to place it where you would have wanted to-but worse, in a dense table, it gets automatically destroyed during deployment. the rules for placing fortifications are dumb as they get and fortifications as a whole should be avoided until this is remedied.

The crown basically does 2 things

1-gives a 5+ invul aura to chaos units.

2-gives reroll to chaos psyker tests in small-medium area, and turns ANY doubles to perils in a large area to non-chaos psykers.

Now, while the second rule is quite helpful if you got a handful of psykers within range of the crown, and the more the merrier. now if you have a handful of REALLY important spells, that you can cast from the backline (or wherever you got forced to place the crown), great. but for any frontline psyker (like our princes for example) the crown doesn't do much. for midfield sorcerers too. it depends on you sitting back and shooting/magicing.

The first rule however, does almost nothing for us. most of our units (at least any worth taking. no you do NOT take predators, contemptors and such in 1ksons if you can avoid it, because multiple other armies that are better to begin with has strictly better versions at the same cost. stick to the few things we actually do have that nobody else has a direct counterpart) have built-in invul already. rubrics, scarabs, sorcerers, princes, even goats.

So the invul aura is practically useless for us. building a dakka gunline with generic non-rubric non-scarab marine units will not work out for us ever,

In addition-do you notice a word missing in the rules?

The word is "friendly".

The crown gives the same bonus to any enemy chaos player you happen to come across!

And they often benefit more than you do!

Once the enemy plague marines, or zerkers, or heck even cultists hit your lines, THEY get an invul, once enemy chaos psykers get into the zone, they enjoy the buffed casting too!

You pay, and they reap equal and sometimes greater benefits.

Sure, not every opponent is chaos. not even half. but it will come up at times. having a rule being not helpful except in certain matchups (like DttFE) is meh, having a rule outright help the enemy when in the wrong matchup is horrendus.

The army that has the most to gain from the crown is the renegades and heretics. who are currently not an existing army.

It's insulting that we'd have to take a fortification to get 2-3 benefits which should be just a passive aura from all our psykers. /shrug

If you do insist on taking Predators in the first place, the Crown will assist there. I wouldnt take it to events, but I'd run it with friends after a fair terrain table is set up.

It's insulting that we'd have to take a fortification to get 2-3 benefits which should be just a passive aura from all our psykers. /shrug

If you do insist on taking Predators in the first place, the Crown will assist there. I wouldnt take it to events, but I'd run it with friends after a fair terrain table is set up.

I expect when we get out 9th Codex we are going to get some kind of army wide mono-faction such as +1 to cast or smite locked in at warp charge 5. I would be pleased with either of these.